Teach a girl to fish (Ilaria)

Seline and Ilaria make friends and fill their stomachs

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Seline on January 12th, 2013, 9:14 am

13th of Winter 512 AV
The Great Bazaar was one of Seline’s favorite things about Stormhold. She loved the over-crowdedness, the bright and exotic wares, and haggling with the merchants. But in the midst of winter food prices were high, and merchants less willing to part with their goods for lower prices. For the past ten minutes the red haired young beauty had tried everything she could to talk a fishmonger into a farer price, but the wrinkled old woman refused to budge. On the other hand, the young dancer had no income, and was desperately trying to save what little money she been left by her mother. The situation was causing a growing anxiety as well as a fair bit of annoyance in the young woman.

“Look at this fish! You’re insane for asking that much for this tiny little thing, and it’s not even cleaned. How am I supposed to cook this?” Seline demanded, her voice rising in exasperation. To the average passerby this was a common sight, just another person attempting – and clearly failing – to negotiate a deal. If it got too out of hand the Knights would handle it. This was something they knew and trusted. Order was paramount in Syliras.

“You tell me this isn’t a good fish when you don’t even know enough to gut it? Three gold mizas, and that is a reasonable price,” the woman mocked back. Seline couldn’t help but pull a face at this response. She would like to spit at the woman’s feet, but her training as a cook told her it was better not to do such vulgar things around food for sale.

“If you think that is reasonable then your old eyes are deceiving you!” she cried, “I would pay three miza for a fish twice this size! And I would pay that much only out of charity for a senile old woman.” The steely look in the fishmonger’s eyes told Seline it was no luck, but she met the older woman’s gaze with a look of equal determination. They remained there for a moment, green and blue eyes set upon one another, neither woman willing to back down.
Last edited by Seline on January 14th, 2013, 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seline
the entertainer

Words: 4649
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2011, 6:22 am
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Ilaria on January 12th, 2013, 6:49 pm

The market was busy, as usual. Ilaria tended to avoid it, but today she had purchases to make. Carefully she stepped through the moving mass of bodies, trying her best to tune out the cacophony of voices. "Buy this," they said, "the best anywhere!" "Not for that price!" Haggling, arguing, laughing, chatting. All around her. She wondered if she would ever get used to it. The wilderness she was accustomed to was not a silent place, but the sounds were of nature. Insects, animals, the wind in the trees, the gurgle of a stream... Natural, soothing. Suddenly a man in an obscene hurry stepped directly into her path causing a near collision.

"Pardon me," she mumbled, jumping sideways. Always in rush, this city. With a sigh, the young woman approached what appeared to be a fish stand. Fish was not what she in the market for, but no harm in checking prices for comparison. She might have her own fish to sell on another day. With a sigh, she realized that here too was an argument. Always over prices! The seller offering their price, the buyer trying to lower it. Same conversation, different voices. Normally she would ignore it, but quick glance at the fish in question made her raise an eyebrow. "3 gold mizas? For that fish? Give the lady the real price now, for surely you jest!" The fish looked to be small for the price, and not a rare catch by any means. Not cleaned or filleted even, which would bring the price up, for convenience. She looked at the woman attempting to purchase and gave a quick appraisal. She looked fit enough, and was gutsy enough to stand up for herself. Ilaria was looking for work, and this one looked to have learning potential. "Do you ever go out to the river? You can catch any number of those in a few hours. Maybe instead of arguing with a fishmonger you could catch your own? The name's Ilaria. I'm a wilderness guide, of sorts. No great expert in fishing, but skilled enough to teach you to catch and clean your dinner, if you're interested."
Ilaria
Player

Words: 5888
Joined roleplay: January 3rd, 2013, 6:29 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Seline on January 14th, 2013, 1:43 am

Seline was startled by a female voice coming to her defence. She stepped back to let the lady interject, ajustified smile on her face. Seline crossed her arms over her chest, nodding in agreement. She had no idea who this new woman was, but she liked her. The fishmonger scowled at the sudden intrusion into their bartering. Judging by her looks and the way she dressed, the blonde was most likely a traveller or hunter, and a woman who knew the value of meat. The fish in question was indeed small – probably yielding little under a pound of usable meat once cleaned. Nothing more than a woman living on her own would need, but for three gold mizas! She wouldn’t even consider it.

“Pay the three gold or find your fish elsewhere. I’m done with this nonsense,” the fishmonger sighed, waving a bloodied white rag at the girls with exasperation. Seline was about to tell the old woman what she could do with her fish when her new companion spoke again. Again Seline turned to the young woman beside her, her eyes widening in appreciation towards the girl.

“Well that sounds like a wonderful idea! I never have before, but I hardly think getting a little wet and mucky will be any worse than being scammed here,” Seline said, thankfully agreeing to the offer. At this the fishmonger shooed them away, saying they were impeding business. Seline followed Ilaria away from the stall, but hesitated when thinking of how she could repay her. “Seline Suncourt. Pleased to meet you,” she introduced herself, putting a hand forward for Ilaria to shake, “thank you for your offer but I’m afraid I don’t have much to give you in return. Of course I’ll help cook us a meal and clean whatever we catch, but would a few copper mizas suffice?”
Seline
the entertainer

Words: 4649
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2011, 6:22 am
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Plotnotes