Policy on returns/rebooting?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Orrikahn on January 20th, 2013, 3:01 pm

Hey there, Mizahar!

So I used to play waaay back when but life kinda took me away due to business and then I forgot about here (I do that) and I came across Mizahar again recently and I was wondering.

What’s the policy on coming back on an account that hasn’t been played in a very long time? Orrikahn here was only active in one thread that never went anywhere, and he has a brother character that is important to his history and it would be difficult to explain the absence of, as his player isn’t around any more. Any suggestions on how I should handle that, and the gap between the first thread and now?

Is it possible to do a slight reboot of the character, perhaps? Maybe alter his history so his brother, Ossifrage, isn’t such an important facet? Would it be possible to do a restart and change Orrikahn’s dates so he starts play now and doesn’t have two mysteriously missing, unplayable years?

Thanks for any help!
Orrikahn
The Jagged Edge

Words: 6165
Joined roleplay: May 6th, 2011, 2:51 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Imass on January 20th, 2013, 3:26 pm

Hail Orrikahn! Welcome back to Mizahar! I hope you stay with us a lot longer this time! I'll try to answer your questions by giving you as much information as possible.

As far as i know there really is no reboot for characters. You are allowed to change your history, concept, skills, etc on your cs as long as you have 50posts or under and it wasn't used in a thread. If you said something about Orrikahn's history in that one thread you must stick to it (I.e your character's brother etc.) So you would have to go to that thread you did and make sure that it is consistent with your re write of the history.

As far as filling in the gap you missed, you just have to be creative and work it into your in character posts(I.e have your character talk about things it did in the past two years or whatever.) Keep in mind that you will not be able to post flashbacks during spring 511 to fall 512. Flashbacks are only for pre character creation (winter 510 and before for you). In other words you have to just decide what she was doing and work that into current time threads.

Personally if I was in your position I would make a new character, but seeing that you only have 6 posts I might try begging at the Help Desk for a reboot. I dont know if they will allow it, but if they don't your stuck to the guidelines I mentioned above.

Hope this helps.

Imass
Imass
Veteran of the Sahova Campaign

Words: 431651
Joined roleplay: June 19th, 2012, 4:35 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1)

Postby Thundiirn on January 20th, 2013, 3:35 pm

I believe the rule is that you can fully edit your skills, history, ledger, etc in your character sheet as long as you have 50 or less posts, and you only have 6. After 50 I believe you can only update it with things that happened IC. You may have to talk to the mods about how to handle the one thread you were in that didn't go anywhere, especially if it included the brother that no longer exists, but I imagine if all participants are no longer playing or agree that it went nowhere, they'd probably let you just delete it and start fresh.

However I'm pretty new here, so if someone comes in here and is like "stfu Thundiirn, you don't know what you're talking about", listen to them and not me ;)

EDIT: And see? While I was writing that Imass said something else, and has been around longer haha. I will say though that I wrote my character's first post on the very last day of the Fall 512 AV season, because I didn't know about posts becoming grandfathered and also didn't know about seasonal living expenses, and they let me delete it and write my new first post in the Winter Season, saving Fall for flashbacks and not costing me the seasonal expenses.
I am nowhere. I am everywhere. I am the watcher unseen

"Speech" | Thoughts | "Other Peoples' Speech"
Thundiirn
Seeking New Realities

Words: 62034
Joined roleplay: November 21st, 2012, 4:43 am
Blog: View Blog (2)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes