Closed You're Not Alone [Kali]

Silarial stumbles upon someone in the outskirts of Avanthal. Kalimalka receives an unexpected visitor.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This northernmost city is the home of Morwen, The Goddess of Winter, and her followers who dwell year round in a land of frozen wonder. [Lore]

You're Not Alone [Kali]

Postby Silarial on January 22nd, 2013, 9:21 am

Winter 38, 512 AV

The wintry morning air was crisp against Silarial’s face as she strolled around the city outskirts, close to the massive ice walls enclosing the city. Exploring these parts of Avanthal was not new to her. In fact, there were a couple of times she would amble away from the populated parts of the city in search of a quiet place to spend a peaceful time to herself. She had never seen anyone live away from the Holds and the Savintar Warrens, except of course the Icewatch who had lived in the barracks. So it was definitely a surprise for the Snowsong to find a tent set up so far away from the cluster of buildings which was the city of Avanthal.

Silarial approached the small camp closer, curious as to what kind of person lived there and why it was there in the first place. It must be lonely to live far away from other people, but hey, maybe the person living here didn’t like society as much as everybody else did.

Hello?” Silarial called out meekly in Vani to check if someone was around the area. Without waiting for a response, she drew even closer to the tent, circling it a little while she inspected the outdoorsy lodging. She cast her eyes around until it fell on a sled parked nearby. Her eyes instantly lit up into a vibrant crimson as she walked closer to the small vehicle, completely unaware that its owner knew of her presence.
Silarial
Well... that happened.

Words: 140345
Joined roleplay: November 19th, 2012, 6:44 am
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

You're Not Alone [Kali]

Postby Kalimalka on January 22nd, 2013, 11:12 pm

Kalimalka gathers firewood at the fringe of the forest in a kind of catatonic haze. Less like a scavenger hunt, as she has always seen this job, and more of a kind of clockwork repetition. The days are stretching out into a tedium, and even the fun little pleasures of the day are being sapped from her bones.

Living outside of Avanthal, never really a part of it, has been the Kelvic hounds' self-imposed quarantine as she deals with the grief of losing her bonded. But she is starting to realize that maybe a Kelvic cant live without some sort of companionship. For she hates to voice it, even to herself, but she is bored. Not the lazy kind of bored that confines you to the hearth all day with your favourite blanket and a book. But the kind of bored that eats away at you until you are just a bundle of nerves, ready to kick that lazy tikita who's so cozy by the hearth.

Suddenly Kali straightens up from where she had been hunched over the snow picking at the dead sticks, and turns to look back at her camp. If she had been in her Zepherian body her ears and nose would have been twitching madly. She had been so sure, just for a second, that someone had said 'hello'. And long ago the Kelvic has established that her ears are never wrong, so she gathers the wood in her arms and follows the sound.

And as she gets closer, she sees a shock of black hair circling through her home. The first word that pops into her mind is 'thief', followed by a curl of her lip in the most hideous of snarls. But the second word is 'magpie', because the girl is not looting through her belongings, but rather fluttering around them like a curious bird. And part of Kalimalka wants to chuckle at the childish behaviour, but the other part, fuelled by her bad day, wants to smack her in the back of the head for being so obtuse.

Shifting her load under one arm, the Kelvic scoops up a loose ball of powdery snow. She takes a second to aim, pull back, and launches the projectile at the intruder.

"What", she barks, lobbing a pack of snow on each emphasis as she stalks closer, "are you doing in my house." She gets to the edge of camp and stands with her hands on her hips with a kind of self-righteous authority you only get with big dogs and snobby men. "I mean really! I've eaten people with less provocation then that!"
"I'm speaking Vani."
"I'm speaking Common."

"Someone else is speaking"
Kalimalka
Player

Words: 39642
Joined roleplay: May 18th, 2012, 3:38 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Plotnotes

You're Not Alone [Kali]

Postby Silarial on January 24th, 2013, 5:41 am

“Bwuh?!” Silarial winced as the side of her face was hit by a snowball, covering half of her head in white slush. It was followed by a loud, obviously annoyed, female voice. She instinctively flung her head to the direction of the speaker. Silarial had barely even wiped away some of the half-molten snow from her face when another came coming towards her. She immediately ducked out of the way, but still it was able to hit the upper portion of her forehead. And then yet another came as she pushed herself back and fell on her rear, the ball of snow crashing straight into her chest.

Silarial blinked repeatedly at the newcomer, a befuddled expression spreading across her features. Questions ran through her mind as she tried to process the reason for being the target of such an assault. She was sure she heard the woman growl something as she was lobbing snowballs at her.

What are you doing in my house.

“Oh.” She smiled sheepishly as realization hit. The woman must’ve thought she was trying to ransack her home. Silarial licked her upper lips nervously as the woman reprimanded her, eyes cast down at the snowy ground while she fidgeted with the loose curls of her hair. When the woman was finished, however, the first thing that came into her mind was, “You eat people?”

She soon realized the folly of her words, for the woman obviously didn’t look like someone who ate people. Silarial blushed as she gulped self-consciously, wishing the woman didn’t think she was out of her mind. She did recognize that snooping around someone’s house was rude and improper, so she understood why the woman chewed her out like that.

“I-I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to trespass on your house, I swear. It’s just, I’ve never seen someone live here in the city outskirts. And in a tent too. So I was just... just...” Silarial gingerly rose to her feet, shaking the snow from her skirt as she did so. “...I was curious. Sorry.” Silarial chewed on her lip, taking a quick glance at the woman’s face before flicking her eyes back to the ground like a chastised little girl.
Silarial
Well... that happened.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

You're Not Alone [Kali]

Postby Kalimalka on January 24th, 2013, 7:16 am

Kali dumps the firewood by the burnt out fire pit and dusts off her mittens while the girl, with a bewildered look, blurts out an equally bewildered question. Does this woman really eat people? And the question is so absurd that the Kelvics face brightens with a short, raspy laugh. And the expression has been so unused for so long that her usual soft voice crackles in her throat like dry paper.

"Not recently", she chuckles and hooks a finger in her mouth, drawing back her cheek to reveal her rather disturbing dentistry. "Kelvic, Zepherian", she clarifies still smiling. "But you obviously arn't looking to make off with my things, so come on, get up before you soak", she reaches down a hand and helps the girl to her feet. "And I live out here because-" she pauses mid sentence and stares quite brazenly at her impromptu house guest. Because even she is not quite sure why. As much as she wants to join the land of the living, so to speak, its just too overwhelming. She trails off to a safer answer: "because I choose to. Besides, I'm not part of a Hold."

There is a short silence as she collects herself again, letting go of the girls hand and brushing down her own grey fur coat of the bark flakes and snow. But the silence is quickly punctuated when she remembers the aforementioned smack to the back of the head for the Vantha girl. Which she dishes out with motherly reprimand.

"Right, there. Now you are forgiven, Magpie."

Kali grins and disappears inside her tent for a second, emerging with her harness and the link chain, and carrying it over to her sled. "What are you doing out here anyway? Are you a hunter? Or are you just wandering?"
"I'm speaking Vani."
"I'm speaking Common."

Kalimalka
Player

Character sheet
Plotnotes

You're Not Alone [Kali]

Postby Silarial on January 24th, 2013, 8:27 am

Silarial stared at the woman’s teeth as she spoke, particularly at the extra set of canine teeth not normally found in humans. She ran her tongue along her own teeth consciously as if to check if hers didn’t have more of the especially sharp teeth. The woman had claimed to be a Zephyrian sled dog Kelvic. That didn’t mean she actually ate people, Silarial hoped. But her living out here away from civilization didn’t quell any of her worries either.

She watched the woman’s face in quiet admiration, gawking at the curious pair of steel blue eyes that seemed clouded by a lonely haze. There must be a reason why she chose to live alone, part of a Hold or no. Silarial wanted to ask, but doing so would be intruding further on her privacy, and she knew better than nag someone who secluded herself from people on purpose.

“Wah!” Pensive thoughts were broken when the woman’s hand connected to the back of her head. Silarial flinched, evidently startled. Rubbing the place where she was hit, Silarial looked at the dark-haired woman, the corners of her lips turning up into a small smile. But Magpie? That was the first time she heard of that word. Was it some kind of pie? “What’s a magpie? Does it taste good?”

The Kelvic woman went inside her tent, Silarial fluttering behind her as she moved about the place. She spoke in a cheerful voice in reply to the woman’s inquiry. “Just wandering about, like I always do.” Silarial tilted her head in curiosity as she watched the woman make her way to the sled. “What is that for?” She asked with childlike interest as the woman worked with the harness and the chain in her hand.
Silarial
Well... that happened.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

You're Not Alone [Kali]

Postby Kalimalka on January 26th, 2013, 3:42 am

"A Magpie is an extremely nosy bird", the Kelvic clarifies pointedly. She clips the lines onto the bridle and tugs it experimentally. "Hmm, and I've never eaten one before. But if they are anything like crows or gulls then they are just made of fluff and feathers. With empty bones", she adds disdainfully, remembering past meal disappointments.

The Vantha girl goes on to explain that she is just out wandering, and seems to imply that she does so a lot. Kali blinks, stoping her equipment check and really looks at the girl for the first time. And she discovers, quite suddenly, that the girl is beautiful. She's delicate, blessed with wide eyes and unusually fair skin. Her innocence encasing her so completely it would be hard to blame her for anything. She's the kind of girl you just want to put up on a shelf away from anything as risky as Taldera. And yet here she is, wandering into strange camps on the wrong side of the wall. Somebody must miss her back at her Hold. And that thought entertains the Kelvic hound with images of a portly Vantha mother and father, pacing furrows into the floor, half comically angry and half unreasonably stressed about their porcelain-skinned daughter.

Kali comes back to herself just in time to here the girl inquire about her harness, still cocking her head and eyeing her progress like the bird she is nicknamed after. "What? Oh, I need to go hunt down some food. I use the sled to bring back anything thats too big or too many to carry. Which never happens, I'll have you know. I'm not that lucky", she blows out her cheeks with frustration at her own meagre skills.

She is about to turn her back on the girl and fit herself to her harness, but something makes her stop. Despite the awkward way they met, and the girl's strangeness in general, she realizes that she doesn't want her to go. She is sweet and bubbly and, most importantly, she is company. And if the girl is going to be wandering around aimlessly then she would at least be a little bit safer with a dog the size of a small bear.

"Ah... would you like to come with me?"
"I'm speaking Vani."
"I'm speaking Common."

Kalimalka
Player

Character sheet
Plotnotes

You're Not Alone [Kali]

Postby Silarial on January 27th, 2013, 5:26 pm

Magpie definitely sounded yummy to the Vantha girl’s ears, but she preferred to be called curious than nosy. And it would make her feel a lot better if the woman would refrain from comparing her to an animal she plans to eat in the future. Despite that, Silarial liked this person’s company. She somehow resembles a kind big sister. More importantly, she’s not grouchy despite being living out here all on her own. The stories she had heard about hermits were not really good, and perhaps even a bit too prejudiced for that matter. Bits from drunken exchanges between tavern patrons describe most hermits as surly and unsightly, but the woman in front of her certainly was far from unattractive. Silarial thought she was lovely and found her features very pleasing to the eyes.

The wheels inside Silarial’s head began turning as the woman explained the purpose of the sled. There was no sled dog (at least none that she saw) in the area. Well, there was the Kelvic sled dog woman. Silarial stared at the leather harness at the woman’s hands, mulling over whether she would actually wear it or not. She wondered how the woman could actually wear something seemingly so intricate while in her hound form. She entertained the possibility that the woman would put it on before shifting, but she had heard of collars before that restricted a Kelvic’s ability to shift, so she was a bit doubtful about that premise.

She would have thought that somebody else puts it on for her, but there was no one around now aside from them. And there was that lonely haze in her eyes, too. A person who had company wouldn’t seem so lonesome. In some way, Silarial could see herself in this person, and that made the woman less of a stranger. She only wished she could know what made her choose to live away from the Vantha and from people in general, and if it was what filled her strangely captivating eyes with so much sadness. Seeing her in such a way made her feel a little sad too.

Silarial, however, perked up when the woman invited her to come. It was not often someone would actually ask her to explore the wastes with them, and often times she had to persuade people to take her. She beamed eagerly as her eyes widened in delight. “You want me to come with you? Of course I would love to. And I mean, really really love to!” Silarial clasped her hands in front of her chest, her eyes melting into a vibrant shade of green. “Though I haven’t introduced myself yet, haven I? My name is Silarial, delighted to make your acquaintance.” She bowed her head politely, giggling.

“I don’t know how I’d be able to help you hunt though, because I’m rubbish at it. I can’t even hunt snow hares on my own.” Silarial wrinkled her nose as memories of the other day flooded through her. Her body still felt sore from that encounter, and she terribly missed her favorite cloak. Still, that encounter was a valuable learning experience. She hoped she could learn more today and help out her new companion to the best of her abilities.
Last edited by Silarial on March 25th, 2013, 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silarial
Well... that happened.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

You're Not Alone [Kali]

Postby Kalimalka on January 29th, 2013, 4:29 am

Kalimalka was right in thinking that the adventurous sprite would want to go deeper into the north. Her hesitant question is received with infectious enthusiasm, much to the Kelvics delight. The girl then has the foresight to introduce herself formally, by name of Silarial. And when she bows her head the Kelvic takes the opportunity to give her a companionable lick across the top of her exposed forehead.

"I'm called Kalimalka. But thats pretty ungainly, so people usually chop it down to Kali", she gives a small smile. "And don't worry about the hunting part, there are still things you can do for me; like set traps and scare rabbits out of hiding, or you can be a distraction. Oh, and if you have any weapons handy (which you better, its bad enough that your wandering out here alone!) then you better get them out, its dangerous out there... Yes, and you'll be driving the sled while I'm hook up, so listen up and I'll give you a crash course in mushing."

She beckons the girl over to the wooden vehicle with a wave of her hand, quickly becoming more animated as attention turns to what she is most confident in. "Here, this is where you stand." She points out the two ski-like protrusions that come out the back of the sled. "Those are called Runners. And this here", she steps on a thin metal bar that runs between the two runners close behind the body of the sled, pushing two claws into the powdery snow, "thats the break." Lastly, she pats a mitten onto a heavy wooden bar behind the basket, outfitted with a grip made of jute and twine. "And thats the handlebar, its what you hold on to. And thats it! Its much more simple then riding a horse. You don't have any reins, so all your commands have to be verbal. Just make sure to keep your balance when we go into a turn, hold onto that bar at all costs, and to be gentle on the break when we need to stop."

The Kelvic chews on her knuckle and nods her head knowingly, thinking of anything she could have missed. "Ah, right, I'd appreciate it if you could get me out of my harness when we get there too." She takes the girls arm and tows her to where she had hooked up her tuglines. "See this", she holds up the complicated leather straps that make up her harness, "you unclip it with the silver fastenings here, here, and here." She points to a clips on either side of where her ribs would be and one between the shoulders. "That will unhook me from the sled. But don't take off the harness itself unless I ask. Now, we ready? "

Dog SledThis might make it more clear :retard: Image
"I'm speaking Vani."
"I'm speaking Common."

Kalimalka
Player

Character sheet
Plotnotes

You're Not Alone [Kali]

Postby Silarial on February 3rd, 2013, 5:34 pm

The woman introduced herself as Kalimalka, or Kali as she was more commonly called. The name Kalimalka sounded interesting to her ears, though she preferred to refer the woman by the latter. It rolls off the tongue easier than her whole name. On a side note, she was glad Kali assured she could still help even with her considerable lack of hunting skills. She was told she can set traps, among other things. And scaring rabbits out from their burrows? Well that she was certain she can do. Becoming distraction didn’t sound as reassuring though, because there was a wide array of creatures and beasts whose attention she can divert to herself. She only hoped Sabretooths were not one of them.

Kali asked if she brought weapons with her, and her hands instantly flew to the leather belt around her waist, checking if she did bring any weapon with her. Yes she did have weapons on her person: hanging from her belt was a leather whip and a sheathed short sword. She can’t wield any of these two properly though, nor does she have any idea how. But a weapon is still a weapon, and these two items might be of use to her in times of danger.

And so she was internally debating whether to bring out the whip or the short sword, or both, when Kali informed her that she was actually the one who will be driving the sled. Her initial thought was that she was wishing so hard that she started hearing words from the woman’s lips. However, when Kali asked her to pay attention to the spur-of-the-moment lesson, all doubts evaporated and she had to refrain herself from hugging the Kelvic woman.

“I can’t believe I’ll be driving!” Her lips quivered in excitement, her eyes flushing crimson as she followed the woman enthusiastically, her gait half-skipping, to the wooden vehicle. Flicking her gaze from the sled to Kalimalka’s face, she saw the enthusiasm in her companion’s expression and gestures. And here was a confidence in the way she talked that Silarial found herself listening closely to her quick instruction. She committed Kali’s words to memory, repeating to herself the names assigned to the sled’s anatomy. “Runners, break, and handlebar. Alright, I got it.”

Silarial let herself be guided to where the leather harness was attached to more leather straps, hooked-up to the front of the sled. She tried to listen while Kali told her where to unclip the tuglines from the harness, but she couldn’t help smile at the idea that the woman would really pull the sled, and that she would be driving It. As Kali finished up, she ordered the Vantha not to remove the harness itself unless it was asked of her. The Kelvic then asked if she was ready, and she answered by throwing her hands in the air and flashing a set of pearly white teeth with a smile. “Yes, ready here, ma’am!”
Silarial
Well... that happened.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

You're Not Alone [Kali]

Postby Kalimalka on February 20th, 2013, 10:39 am

"Good!" The Kelvic throws up her hands to mirror the girls. Gods, she's like an infectious disease of happiness. And here she was ready to chew off her feet if she was indeed a thief. But the morning is looking just a tiny bit lighter.

"I wont bring you home late. Your parents must be worried", she states matter-of-factly, unaware of the sudden change in the air. "Or your husband. If you have a husband already."

"Now go ahead and get on - right, just like that - and just say 'go' when you want me to run and 'stop' when you want me to stop. I'll find the best trail so you don't need to steer me."

Her driver attended to, Kali hops onto the basket and kicks off her boots and mittens at the same time. And without missing a beat her trousers and coat are next to pool at her feet until she is standing naked. She wears no undergarments and she was bare under her coat. Even in the cold of Taldera a Kelvic tries to wear as little as possible.

Her alabaster skin has not even rippled in gooseflesh before she swings the harness over her shoulders with a practised efficiency of someone who has done so a thousand times. A buckle between her breasts, across her rib, and two on her back or clipped into place with decisive snaps. And with one experimental pull on the tuglines she is satisfied, and leaps off the sled as if tumbling into a dive. But the wide paws of a sled dog touch the ground instead of delicate human hands.

She gives a vigorous shake so that her whole body seems to roll like a massive white wave and yawns widely. And thus refreshed, she checks on her driver one last time. And then mentally backhands herself for being so paranoid.

What can possibly go wrong? she snarls internally. Its a joyride, and she's hardly a child. Get over yourself.

Grimacing and turning away, takes her clothing in her mouth and pushes it back against the back of the sled instead. Not bothering to strap it in this time around. It wont be a bumpy ride, and besides, she's got a spotter now.

Turning to the northside she extends the tuglines until they are taunt, and looks over her shoulder expectantly. And once hearing Silarial's signal, she begins to pull. Kali strains forward using so much force that her front paws leave the ground. Something that could easily dislocate a grown mans shoulder. But the load is light and it takes almost no effort to make some momentum. She keeps her stride tight and hard for the first few lengths until the sled starts cutting through the snow as easily as scissors to paper. The Kelvic hound lets her strides get longer and easier until she is loping through the snow with as easy gait.

She has a good idea where to start their little trek. There is a clot of trees a bell or so away that are thick with the moss and lichen that the deer and moose like to eat. And its a frequent spot for the smaller mammals as well. If they are going to find anything, its going to be there.

OOC :
Sorry for taking so incredibly long. Hope you didn't give me up for dead. :D

ps: Go ahead and assume they get there with your next post.
"I'm speaking Vani."
"I'm speaking Common."

Kalimalka
Player

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Next