Flashback Through the Sands

A lone Drykas and an endless desert

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The massive stretch of desert that overwhelms Eyktol. Here, a man's water is worth more than his life, and the burying sands are the unfortunate's mute undertaker.

Through the Sands

Postby Marcus Gray-Dawn on February 25th, 2013, 3:04 pm

Marcus could feel there over zealousness radiating from the serphantine beast. Ever since he sheathed his sword the creature had began to grow bolder with its words and actions. What had started out as simple quifs had turned into demands, and now more recently into threats.

"You ssspeak as if I am merely a wild beassst roaming the sssurface of the ssscalding sandsss. Has your kind not heard of a race of desert-dwelling beings who are born sssnake and die human? We are the Dhani, children of eternal Sssiku, and the land on which you dare tread is oursss. . You will ssstate your intentions, however private they may be, or the sssand beneath your feet shall be your grave. Do not attempt to essscape. Even as we ssspeak, hundreds of vipers like me lurk under the sssurface, and they await only my sssignal to ssstrike. No harm will be done to you, ssso long as you cooperate."

If anything thus creature was proud of its heritage by the way it bragged upon the snake people she described. Marcus was taken back for a moment when she td him that there were other beasts like her hiding beneath the sands of the dessert. He had never in his wildest dreams fathomed that he would find a race of people with fhe ability to change its form, but he couldnt stand there in bewidermebt for the creaturw had theeatened him and he didnt plan to let rhat pass by unoticed. He stoped his pacing and turned towards the beast once again, then while staring directly into its eyes he applied upward preasure on the hilt of his sword causing it to slightly come unseathed.

"By Caiyha's grace i swear I mean you no harm, but i will not be ordered or threatened by any man or beast and as i said before my reason for being here are mine alone." Marcus now focussed his gaze more intently upon his opponent. "I do not like violence and I do not wish to kill anyone over a misunderstanding."
Marcus Gray-Dawn
I am a savage, but I am no fool.

Words: 29729
Joined roleplay: February 22nd, 2013, 11:46 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Through the Sands

Postby Bethsyliss on February 25th, 2013, 4:46 pm

Syliss's eyes widened when Marcus revealed a small portion of his blade, unsheathing the sword slightly. The situation was hopeless. There was nothing to be done. No matter how many empty threats she threw at Marcus, he would not yield. She had to opt for a different diplomatic approach. This was starting to become urgent, as Syliss judged by the sight of the protruding hilt which slightly uncovered the shiny metal. Maybe she needed to drop intimidation tactics and start showing that she, too, wanted to cooperate. But how to make him listen? She knew so little about him that she had no emotional leverage. He had told her that he came from the Sea of Grass; she knew nothing of the Sea of Grass, other than the fact that it was located outside of Eyktol. He had told her that he was a warrior of the Diamond Clan; she had not known of its existence up until now. There mussst be sssomething, she thought, forcing her intellectual faculties in motion. Otherwise, I am lossst. Thankfully I am a good runner.

But Marcus had given away something crucial about him. He had sworn his intentions were not hostile and had invoked Caiyha's grace as witness to that. He must have been a worshiper of Caiyha. Luckily, Syliss had some knowledge of the goddess, that she had learned over her eighty years of living in the Dhani nest. "Look, human," she said, then rectified her address to make it seem more personal: "Marcusss Gray-Dawn of the Diamond Clan. I mean you no harm either, but my people are of a violent nature, and, if they decide to ssswarm you, they won't be willing to lisssten as I am. Holy Caiyha is mother to our revered goddesss Siku, ssso, if you are Caiyha's follower, you have no reassson to be my enemy, and neither do I to be yoursss. Let usss honor the religiousss tie that we ssshare so that, as you so wisely propose, no blood may be ssspilled over a misunderstanding. Please tell me why you are here in the land of my people." Then she added, reversing the threats that she had previously issued: "Maybe I can even offer my help for whatever it is that you ssseek. But please, do not make yourssself a nemesis of the Dhani."

There. She had completely withdrawn from her position and was proposing to help Marcus. That way, there would be no bloodshed, and she would be able to secure her safety around the sword-wielding warrior. If any of what he had said was true, then he had no reason to withhold his intentions unless he had come to do harm upon the vipers of Eyktol. What had started as a sunbath today was turning into a dire situations, and all Syliss wanted was to make things right for her without having to flee. The idea of running away was too painful, because it awakened the difficult memories of the loss of her father. Now was not a time for danger; she needed peace, and, so long as the human stood there with cloudy intentions and his hand on his hilt, she could not find it.
Bethsyliss
Player

Words: 142748
Joined roleplay: February 1st, 2013, 7:43 pm
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Through the Sands

Postby Marcus Gray-Dawn on February 25th, 2013, 11:28 pm

The creature lookes him through its goledn eyes causing a chill to run down the length of his back causing a cold sensation to pour over him in the hot sun. Marcus truly did not want to fight this creature cor in his currenrt state he didnt know if he could truly win. Maybe his words had defused the tense situation that that had developed out of simple hunger. The throbbing in his side caused him to cringe in pain but he redoubled his efforts to hide his pain. The snake flared its hood and once again began to speak to Marcus, he only wondered what threat it had now.

"Look, human, Marcusss Gray-Dawn of the Diamond Clan. I mean you no harm either, but my people are of a violent nature, and, if they decide to ssswarm you, they won't be willing to lisssten as I am. Holy Caiyha is mother to our revered goddesss Siku, ssso, if you are Caiyha's follower, you have no reassson to be my enemy, and neither do I to be yoursss. Let usss honor the religiousss tie that we ssshare so that, as you so wisely propose, no blood may be ssspilled over a misunderstanding. Please tell me why you are here in the land of my people. Maybe I can even offer my help for whatever it is that you ssseek. But please, do not make yourssself a nemesis of the Dhani."

Marcus couldnt believe it, the Dhani as she called herself, had actually shown a hint or sincerity and remorse. The was an inexspected turn of events but they were greatly to Marcus's liking. He removed his thumb allowing to blade to slide back into its sheath. It claimed to share his love for Caiyha which let a great relief fall over him. Here, in the middle of nowhere, when he needes help most, he had found another of Caiyha. Truly Caiyha's influnce blessed even this desolate land, so Marcus decided to share why he had come to this far land but nkt before learning more about this Dhani.

"Tell me Dhani," He said now relaxing posture "If you truly be a servant of Caiyha then would you share your name with one that has given his.
Marcus Gray-Dawn

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Through the Sands

Postby Bethsyliss on February 26th, 2013, 12:00 am

Syliss had retracted her hood since there no longer was any need to keep up the failed intimidation. The human had signified that he accepted the peaceful overture she had offered by relaxing his grip on his sword's hilt. A great relief came over Syliss as that threat was now at least partially out of the way. But, when the human called Syliss a servant of Caiyha, a shadow crossed her sunlit eyes and her hood flickered slightly in irritation, although it did not fully flare open. Syliss was not a servant of Caiyha. She merely recognized her as the mother of her goddess, but that was all. Apart from that she knew very little about her and did not indulge in any rituals or prayers concerning her, and calling her a servant of Caiyha instead of Siku offended her just a bit.

She had to make a choice whether to tell the man about her true religious loyalties, which would mean risking to break the trust that he now seemed to have in her, as indicated by his relaxed posture, or hide them from him and let that slip. She decided on the first option, primarily for a zealous sense of duty directed first and foremost towards her goddess. So long as she proudly bore her faith, Siku would surely protect her, should hostilities between the two parties recommence. "Marcusss Gray-Dawn, you mistake me for a worssshiper of holy Caiyha, when I am not. The goddess my soul belongs to is divine Sssiku, who, despite being a direct dessscendant of hers --" She broke off there, choosing that it was perhaps wiser not to go into the details of Siku's presumably disreputable habits. "Despite being a direct descendant of hersss, is not the chosen guide of our people. Caiyha, I mean, isss not. Yet I do hold her in high esssteem," she added, trying her best to salvage her little blunder and show some respect for Marcus's deity.

Although she had said that in light of her religious fanaticism, nothing prevented her from giving the human her name. After all, she did want to enhance the fact that they now moved into a more personal sphere of discussion so as not to provoke the warrior by reigniting enmity. Besides, he had introduced himself, so she could at least do the same, as a courtesy at least. "However, I will give you my name, Markusss Gray-Dawn." She paused, and lifted her hooded head proudly. The golden scale above her left eye caught the sunlight and glimmered magnificently. "I am Bethsyliss, daughter to Vvesssebeth and granddaughter to Vvese whom I honour the memory. You will addresss me as Syliss if you wisssh to call me by my name."

Though lost she was in her lineage-related self-esteem, she did not lose view of the fact that Marcus had not yet stated his intentions. "Now that we have gotten through the formalitiesss, Marcus Gray-Dawn, I will hear the reasonsss for your voyage into the Burning Lands of great Eyktol."
Bethsyliss
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Through the Sands

Postby Marcus Gray-Dawn on February 26th, 2013, 12:47 am

The creature spoke and corrected Marcus in the terms of whom she worshipped. Marcus fully understood what to meant to be devoted in religion, and he respected the Dhani for correcting him by telling him she worshipped Siku not Caiyha. Would the roles be reversed Marcus would have like to think he would have acted similar should his religion be mis-construed. Marcus let his mind drift back to when he first heard of Caiyha from his Ankal. He told Marcus grand stories of how Caiyha preserved the land and the creatures that dwell within. After that Marcus believed that if any god deserved praise that it was Caiyha,for it was by her will that life was possible in all the lands of Mizahar. From that point forward he tried to abide by her teachings, protecting the grasslands from would be threats and dangers. As he grew older and the choices before him opened up he decided to leave his home on this pilgrimage.

He looked on to the creature that had now identified itself as Syllis with great conviction. He let the stern expression fall from his face and let an understanding one takes its place. Though he did not fully trust this Syllis he did feel more at ease in her presence. She asked once more why Marcus had came to this land, so he decided to give her an answer.

"I have left my home on a pilgrimage in Caiyha's name." Marcus spoke loud and clear "I seak relics of Caiyha's influence bidden within these forgotten sands."
Marcus Gray-Dawn

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Through the Sands

Postby Bethsyliss on February 26th, 2013, 1:05 am

Relics from the goddess in this barren wasteland? Surely, Marcus was mistaken. There was nothing of the sort to be found around the Burning Lands -- apart from a couple of occasional oasis, most of which were dried out and lifeless anyway. Syliss frowned. "You will find no sssuch --" But she broke off, an idea suddenly coming to her mind. Danger from Marcus was clearly out of the way now, since he had accepted to share his intentions for traveling in the desert with Syliss, so the Dhani woman confidently slithered her way up to Marcus, as a sign of peaceful overture.

"Marcus Gray-Dawn, I know of a sssanctuary dedicated to your exalted goddess Caiyha in the vicinity of our current location, though I can not pinpoint it exactly sssince I have never gone there. I am certain that you will find untold sssecrets worthier than all the gold in the world there, for no treasure sssurpassses the value of a sssacred relic from a divine being. If you will consent to let me take you there, as a sssymbol of my trussst, I will make my way back to the nessst where my people dwell to ask my eldersss for specific directionsss so that I may lead you to that holiest of ssshrines. Will you wait for me here until I return with information concerning the path we ssshould take to reach it? I will not be long." Syliss waited for an answer from the warrior, the golden scale above her left eye reflecting a smug glint from the sun's rays. Maybe there was actually something she could do after all.
Bethsyliss
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Through the Sands

Postby Marcus Gray-Dawn on February 26th, 2013, 2:13 am

At first she seemed hesitant, but once sge told Marcus that she did infact know oh such a place that Marcus searched for. It was glee and surprise that filled Marcus for his trip into the desert had been filled with ups, downs, and near deaths. Maybe it would pay off after all and he would be able to find a true relic of Caiyha in this place. However Marcus did not fully trust Syllis' words, why would she tell him where such a place lay? Obviously her reasons for doing so were different than Marcus' but he could not pass up this oppurtunity regardless. However there was another problem that he couldnt ignore, his hurt ribs. He could wrap them but he hadnt the material and he wasnt in any condition to go get some himself. He could ask Syllis to fetch the bandaging for him, but then she would know he was injured and might turn hostile again. This was truly a great dilemma, but he would die if he didnt get the supplies he needed. So on pure faith he trusted Syllis to help him.

"Very well Syllis, I will wait for you but I have a request." he said as she slithered closer to him " Im in dire need of food, water, and bandaging. I cannot compensate you now but you would have my gratitude."

He now waited for her answer with a lump burried in his throat. He had shown weakness and knew she could juat as easily help him as harm him. In his mind he prayed to Caiyha hoping that he would survive this.
Marcus Gray-Dawn

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Through the Sands

Postby Bethsyliss on February 26th, 2013, 2:59 am

Syliss made a face to express compassion. "I'm afraid you'll have to use the cloth from your ssshirt as bandaging, Marcus," she said, making a mental note of the fact that he had to be injured if he was issuing such a request. "I can help you to rip stripsss from your shirt off and tie them around your woundsss if the positioning isn't ideal for you to do so yourssself, but I cannot provide you with any bandaged. I will, however, bring you sssome food and water from the nest. I take it you have a waterssskin in that pouch of yoursss." She gestured towards his waist-satchel. She figured that, since he was asking for her help, he wouldn't mind her serving herself to the waterskin he presumably carried. Besides, she really wanted to have a glance at what the satchel contained. She needed to know whether he was carrying anymore potentially dangerous weapons that could threaten her and cause him to dispose of her if he ever so decided. So she approached, cautiously, and unfastened the satchel. As she removed the waterskin from it, she caught sight of a knife. That was all she wanted to know. She closed Marcus's pouch and spun round, her tail slithering in curves along the hot sand. "Don't move from here. I'll be back before you know it."

About one bell later, she returned, Marcus's waterskin filled to the brim in one hand and half a pound of raw meat in the other. That was half of her meal, but she was willing to sacrifice it for the sake of this stranger who had assaulted her and then made up with her. "Here you go," she said, handing him the waterskin and the raw meat. Then she remembered that humans weren't used to eating their food raw, as she had seen Dhani in the nest eat it cooked when they fed in human form. "Forgive me for the state of the meat," she apologized. "We Dhani never cook our meat, ssso I couldn't find the necesssary equipment for that. I hope you don't mind." That wasn't entirely the truth, but, on the other hand, she had personally not acquired her human form yet, so the only food she could lay her hands on was raw since it was hers. "The ssshrine is really very near, or ssso I'm told. Once you get a chance to drink and eat, we'll get your bandagesss sssorted and head out. We'll need cloth, ssso I'll let you take care of ripping out parts of your shirt. I'm sssure you're more comfortable with doing it yourssself. I will help you dresss the wounds, though." She paused, then added: "I hope you appreciate thisss. The meat was originally my meal."

The she curled up into a comfortable position on the warm sand and waited for Marcus to consume his improvised meal before she could help bandage his wounds if he would let her do that.
Bethsyliss
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Through the Sands

Postby Marcus Gray-Dawn on February 26th, 2013, 3:45 am

Marcus watched as Syliss skithered off into the distance, her form becoming distored by the heat more and more until she finaly disappeared completely. He holed she would return for he truly need the food and water, but even if she didnt aleast he was out of any imedeiate danger. His side hurt horribly as it throbbed and contracted every time he moved his muscles. Marcus thenet out a loud whistle as Tarlok trotted towards him kicking up sand in the process, he the stopped nearly Marcus excitedly stomping his feet in place. Marcus then removed his shirt and took the blanket that he attempted to capture Syliss in from the pack of items tied to Tarlok and began to tear strips from it.

"No old friend, we arent going home yet." Marcus said speaking softly to Tarlok "This snake woman might actully prove useful and we may find something truly great. Just bear with me my friend, we will return to the Sea of Grass one day."

He stopped talking once he finished tearing the strips from the blanket and then rose and patted the side of Tarlok's neck. He took the strips and began tying the ends together tightly forming one long strip of cloth. Slowly he began wraping the cloth around his torso,large black and purpleish bruise bad already formed along his right side. Layer by layer he tightened the cloth around him restricting his movement and blocking some of the pain. He then looked at Tarlok and sighed im amusement and pain before speaking in a half laughing voice.

"Now if our Snake friend finds us some food and water we may actialy survive this."

Around a bell had passed and Marcus now sat against Tarlok who was laying upon the ground. She had said the nest was close but she still hadnt retuened. Maybe she had lied and escaped into the deser, or maybe she was waiting to strike at this very moment. However all these thoughts were pushed aside as he saw a slow black rise coming towards him, and sure enough Syliss slowly came into view. Marcus rose as she skithered up to him and handed him his waterskin and a handfull of raw meat, it wasnt what he exspected but he was grateful none the less. He first took a small swig of the water and swushed it around in his mouth befofe swallowing, he then knelt and allowed Tarlok to have a drink. The she snake then began to speak again as he rose to face her.

"The ssshrine is really very near, or ssso I'm told. Once you get a chance to drink and eat, we'll get your bandagesss sssorted and head out. We'll need cloth, ssso I'll let you take care of ripping out parts of your shirt. I'm sssure you're more comfortable with doing it yourssself. I will help you dresss the wounds, though.I hope you appreciate thisss. The meat was originally my meal."

"I appreciate your cocern for my injuries," Marcus said with a genuine voice "but I have already took care of them. As for the shrine, it will take some time to gather enough shrubery to build a suitable fire and cook this meat. Ill gather the kindling and start it, then we rest here for the night. Tommorow we go to the Shrine with plenty of light and a full day to explore it."

Marcus then turned and walked towards some small bushes that grew up through the sand.
Marcus Gray-Dawn

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Through the Sands

Postby Bethsyliss on February 26th, 2013, 8:52 am

Syliss sputtered incredulously as Marcus proposed they sleep outside. I live not two dunesss away, dammit! she swore silently, voicing her thoughts only within her mind. She was baffled. I'm not the one after thossse bloody relicsss. I've been courteousss enough to offer him my asssistance. Now he can either take my help or leave it. Are all humansss completely and utterly devoid of any senssse of mannersss?

"Marcusss Gray-Dawn, I believe you have misunderssstood me, she said in an assertive though not defiant voice. "We are not traveling companionsss. You are a wanderer in the rolling dunesss of Eyktol, and I am a desert dweller with a home here. In my nessst, my blind mother requiresss my presence, and I will not leave her for an entire night on an adventurous whim. I have returned your kindnesss by providing you with some food and water, but I will not ssspend the night outside eating cooked meat." She gagged at the thought of food that was no longer raw. "Marcusss of the Diamond Clan, you will eat my gift whichever way you so wisssh, but, if you expect me to lead you to the ssshrine of your holy goddess Caiyha, you will do so as sssoon as you finisssh your meal. I will gladly ssstay to keep you company if that beassst of yours isssn't enough, but, come the hour of dusssk, I will wisssh you good luck on your journey, blesss you with the grace of Sssiku, and leave you to pursue your sssearch. It is up to you, now, if you will take my help to find that sssanctuary which you seek."

She stopped speaking there, awaiting the man's reply. She did want to do this, but she simply couldn't afford a night away from the viper nest. She had duties, and, as her father had taught her, those duties needed to be attended to. She was not going to dishonour her father's wisdom just now.
Bethsyliss
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

PreviousNext