Flashback Some Wounds Need More Than Kisses [Solo]

Having been forcibly given a new role, Ayatah tries to learn the art of healing

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Taloba, home to the Myrians, is the thriving core of Falyndar. Inhabited by a fierce and savage tribe where blood sacrifices are normal and a way of life, they are untamed and proud of it. Warlike, and with their numbers growing, the Myrians are set on reclaiming what is rightfully theirs. [Lore]

Some Wounds Need More Than Kisses [Solo]

Postby Ayatah on February 24th, 2013, 8:35 pm

||78th Day of Spring, 512AV || The Healers Lodge, army barracks ||

It was not uncommon for Ayatah to get a message from her military superiors calling her on patrol or guard. Sometimes, they summoned for her to train the newcomers, and other times, to be trained herself. So when the plump pigeon arrived at the Scattered Bones’ home with a tiny rolled up parchment attached to its feet, Ayatah knew what to expect.

But when she arrived at the army barracks some two bells later, however, Ayatah was told that she would not be patrolling, training or guarding.

”Saiete is overwhelmed at the healer’s lodge. Liv is off - that baby is like to drop out of her any day now. And Tuck is there, but on the wrong end of business.”
Ikeena was very often the leader of Ayatah’s fang, and the older woman tended to be the half-breed’s first port of call when summoned. The two of them got on as well as Ayatah did with any of her superiors; she did not appreciate the casual digs at her heritage, but Ikeena was by far one of the more pleasant individuals.

”I am no healer. Not at all.” She frowned, striding after the other woman. Ayatah was aware of the very basics of medicine; don’t get a cut dirty, elevate the wound… but when it came to dealing with more grievous injuries, she was hopeless. ”There must be someone more suitable.”

Ikeena threw the half-Eypharian a look that told her otherwise.
”After what happened earlier this season, we are lucky that not more of us have died. We are all spread too thinly: we’ve had to call on recruits like yourself more often, and even send the new arrivals out on patrols, just to make up the numbers.”

Ayatah’s jaw clenched, and she nodded to acknowledge the truth in Ikeena’s words.

Their people had been hit hard by the djed storm, and practically everyone knew, or was related to, someone who had been personally affected. In Ayatah’s case, she had been present when the storm reached the entrance to Zinrah. One moment, she was standing amongst her comrades, and the next --

She swallowed hard, dislodging the lump that had formed in her throat. So many of her fellow recruits - not friends, not by far - but acquaintances. Some of them had been bastards to her in the past, but they didn’t deserve whatever the hell had happened to them. Since that fateful day, the Myrians had still not managed gain control over the jungle. Plant life grew at an alarming rate; the very first thing her people did was set about hacking away at the trees and shrubs that had claimed the 200 foot clearing around the city walls. An entire day was spent knocking down the foliage. But when those same people rose the following morning, they were horrified to see that the jungle had simply claimed back that land, as if a decade had past and not just one night.

”With the animals, the Dhani and even the damn jungle itself turning on us, we need all the hands we can get,” Ikeena pushed aside the leather skins that served as the door to the healer’s lodge.

The scene inside was something close to a nightmare. Bewildered recruits - Ayatah recognised one as a newcomer that had joined just a season ago - dashed between the wounded, who lay on straw and skin beds. There were groans all around her, and at the far side of the room, a man was screaming for mercy.

An old, heavyset woman strode down the centre of the beds.
”Ikeena. Is this the girl?” Saiete had been the military healer for… Myri only knew how long. Although she was not old by Myrian standards (a mere 70 years), she could not serve the injured or sick as quickly as she had done in her youth. So, Ikeena had taken on two apprentices, Liv and Tuck. The former had joined Ikeena some ten years ago, and the latter had been in her service or a mere two. But between the three of them, the healers were able to manage the steady come and go of injured recruits.

Until the storm, that is. From the way the wounded and sick were lined in tight rows, Ayatah guessed that they had never had to deal with such great numbers before. This room had never seen so many in need before. And at a time that one healer is heavily pregnant, and the other is -

Dying. Tuck lay in the bed closest to the entrance, his skin filmed with a thin layer of sweat, and yet he was shivering. His eyes were closed, but had they been open, Ayatah would have seen that they were cloudy and dim. He had volunteered to help clear the jungle and rediscover the pathways that his people had followed for hundreds of years. But the jungle - as Ikeena had rightly said - seemed to turn on the Myrians, and Tuck stepped onto a toxic plant. Usually, it did not harm their people, but now… It did.

”Saiete.” Ayatah dipped her head respectfully to the older woman. Her knowledge of healing and medicines was famous throughout Taloba; she had always been a quick learner for medicine, even when a girl. Whereas most Myrian children were obsessed with training and weapons, Saiete had been fascinated with the body, and it’s ability to recover from trauma, infection and poison. ”I am afraid I am no healer.”

Saiete signalled for her to follow all the same, and Ayatah obliged. The larger woman scoffed and waved her hand dismissively,
”I know that, girl. The clans are keeping their own healers close by - not that I blame them. If their sick weren’t at their homes, they’d be here. But you are Eypharian, yes? I’ve heard you can read well, and enjoy learning.” She had lead Ayatah to the other side of the lodge, and she nodded towards a bed in which the screaming man lay in. ”Well, now is your chance to learn.”

|| Ayatah's speech || Ayatah's thoughts || Others' speech ||
Last edited by Ayatah on February 27th, 2013, 8:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ayatah
The Scholarly Savage

Words: 667148
Joined roleplay: December 27th, 2012, 11:30 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Ayatah on February 27th, 2013, 3:24 pm

Myri! Ayatah could not help but exclaim.

The man that was writhing upon the bed had an arrow sticking out of him. An arrow! The shaft stood erect from his left shoulder, in the soft flesh where his arm joined the trunk of his body. From her viewpoint, Ayatah saw that the arrow was in deeply - none of the stone arrowhead could be seen from her vantage point.

”Petching - recruit - shot me.” The man explained through pain-filled gasps. ”Thought I was… a tiger -- shyke! He let out another almighty shout, gripping the blood-stained deer pelt that he lay on.

The half-Eypharian stared at Saiete, eyes wide with fear and panic. She could have perhaps helped out with minor wounds - grazes or bruises. But this…

”This is way out of my depth!”

Saiete’s dark eyes narrowed. She did not have the time to argue with the stubborn young, and she raised a plump hand before speaking,
”I am going to talk you through what to do, because this will be anything but the last time you see this injury. Then, when you come back tomorrow, you’ll know what to do.”

Tomorrow? Ayatah had not planned, nor expected to have to return anytime soon; surely she could not face this horror again? Healing was a huge responsibility; the life of a fellow Myrian would be in her untrained hands. If she failed, it was someone’s daughter, son, mother, father…. Their blood would be on Aya’s hands. I am disliked enough, already, without that weight on my shoulders…

But…

Saiete claimed to have called for Ayatah because of her mixed heritage (or rather, for traits the half-breed had long assumed to be due to her Eypharian paternity). This would be the perfect chance for Ayatah to aid her people by making the most of her father’s blood - for all the good it had served her previously. The multi-armed people were known for their academia, their strive towards perfection… Both of which were traits that could be used to describe the young Scattered Bones woman.

Finally she nodded, accepting defeat in the argument and the challenge laid out before her.

”Tell me what to do.”

Saiete pulled up a wooden stool, and signalled for Ayatah to sit upon it. She did as she was told, and the older woman began to speak in detail of the case in front of them.

”Vikent here came in a bell ago, having been patrolling the jungle and trying to clear pathways--“

“Waste-of… petching… Time!
He spluttered, the final word cried out in agony.

”So far, we have given him nettle water to soothe the pain. Do you know what nettle water is?” She barely paused long enough for Ayatah to shake her head shamefully. When she next spoke, Saiete did so with a hint of irritation to her voice. ”It is what it is; water that is boiled with nettles. They are known for their pain relief, but can only do so much with wounds such as this.”

Ayatah nodded, already visibly perturbed. Vikent inhaled in great slow, shaking gulps, his entire body shuddering in agony. She had seen people in such pain before, but they had never been her responsibility until now.

”Right. We need to remove the arrow -- slowly. Whip that thing out too fast and he’ll be lucky to have any use of his arm. Then, we need to clean and bandage the wound.”

The plan sounded simple enough - but Ayatah did not doubt the difficulties that lay ahead of her in this challenge. He was already in excruciating pain, and the thought of pulling an arrow out of a man was an uncomfortable one for the half-Eypharian. She daren’t even think about the torture the patient - her patient - would feel as she dragged that arrow out.

”To stop it getting infected, yes?”

The healer did not seem impressed with Ayatah’s basic knowledge (why would she have been? Even a child knew the importance of keeping wounds clean).

”Yes, yes. But the very first thing you need to do is wrap a bandage before the just before wound - right here, see? The body leaks blood away from the heart, and I assume you know where that is?” (Ayatah nodded automatically, but planned to check with her clan healer just for good measure) ”So, you need to try and stop the blood from coming out of the wound when you extract the arrow. All the things you’ll need are there.”

The old healer nodded towards a wooden cupboard that stood beside Vikent’s bed. Three small bottles of poultices and a long roll of cloth dressing lay on the wooden surface. Gingerly, Ayatah took the piece of bandage, sliding it under Vikent’s shoulder - careful not to move the poor man. She glanced to Saiete, who stood watching Ayatah’s slow movements like a hawk. Her face was blank and controlled; there would be no praise from this woman until the job was done.

”I just… tie it?” She asked hopelessly, wincing at the stupidity of her question.

”Yes. Tie it. Tightly.”

Last edited by Ayatah on February 27th, 2013, 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ayatah
The Scholarly Savage

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Ayatah on February 27th, 2013, 4:38 pm

The soft bandage was easy to tear, so Ayatah pulled the end of the strip off, leaving herself a good few inches either side to tie around Vikent’s shoulder. She licked her lips, staring down at the dark red wound and the arrow that erupted from it.

”Oh, get on with it!”

She jumped at the command, but it did not come from Saiete, but the patient himself. Vikent was also watching her intently, but it was her face that he paid attention to. Despite his harsh words, there was something in his eyes that Ayatah had, rather stupidly, not expected to see: fear.

This was his hour of need, and the responsibility had fallen to Ayatah to provide for him. She could not let this man down, and not just to prove herself. He depended on her. Perhaps his life was not in danger, but at that moment, it was within Ayatah’s power (with supervision from Saiete, of course) to help him.

Yes, get on with it…

She crossed the ends of the bandage, pulling them until the knot met his skin. How tight was ‘tightly’? Ayatah had seen how her aunt’s finger turned blue when the woman had gotten it caught in fish netting. Did the bandage need to be that tight?

She will tell me if I screw up…

So Ayatah pulled the bandage tighter, until it cut into Vikent’s skin and he yelped.

”Not that tight…” she muttered to herself, flushing a little. She loosened the bandage slighly, and then knotted it.

”Right. Next step: you need to break off the shaft of the arrow, as close to the skin as she can. But-“ The old healer raised up a hand to emphasise her point, ”but you must not shift the arrowhead. Not even by quarter of an inch. If you do, like I said earlier, you could destroy the muscles of the arm.” She lent forward, nearly knocking Ayath out of the way with her broad shoulders. With a surprisingly delicate touch, Saiete laid a finger on the middle of the arrow shaft. ”try about there - you should be able to do it. Hold the bottom half tightly so it doesn’t move, and simply snap the arrow in two. It’s well made but thin, so you shouldn’t have to try too hard.”

Ayatah nodded once more, placing her right index finger and thumb an inch or so below where Saiete’s own hand had been. She did as she was told, and held the thin wooden shaft firmly between her fingers. In one quick movement, she bent the top half towards herself, so it split and cracked in two.

”Good, okay. Next comes to the hard bit. Get cold water - it’s on that table over there, see?” She pointed to a wooden desk in the corner of the long, thin lodge. ”Drip some cold water into the wound and around the arrow head, it numbs the immediate area a little more. Quick, quick!”

The half-Eypharian stood stiffly and marched over to the table her teacher pointed to. There was a young woman already there, staring wide-eyed down at the various bottles and skins that lay upon the table top. As she approached, Ayatah realised just how young the other woman was. She is only just a woman. A season ago she would have still been a child.

At the sound of approaching footsteps, the girl turned with large begging eyes. She spoke frantically,
”Help. I am a niece of Saiete, and I came here to follow in my aunt’s footsteps. But I have no clue what to do. There’s a man there with his arm broken. Broken! And what am I to do? None of us have a clue about medicine.”

Ayatah was taken aback by just how desperate this incredibly young woman was, and Ayatah felt a stab of pity. It was completely understandable that she had worked herself into such a state of panic. Ayatah was just as terrified, but her years in the military had taught her to control her emotions - or at least try to. She would not have even undergone her own service, yet. And here she is, healing our most wounded -- or at least trying to

So Ayatah gave the one piece of advice she could muster: ”Nettle water. Your aunt said it helps with pain.” then she picked up a skin of - what she was hoped was - normal water and returned to her own patient.

”Drip the water as close to the arrow head as you can - yes, like that. Good. Now, does that feel cold Vikent?” The man nodded furiously, though his face was still screwed up in pain. ”we will give it a chime or two to cool the muscle. Keep dripping!”

It surprised Ayatah just how cold even the skin of the flask was. The healer’s lodge itself was intensely muggy and hot, with a plenty of different smells including vomit, poultices and death. Somehow though, the skins that held this fresh water had kept it cold enough to still be of medical help.

”That’s enough. Now, I want you to listen to me very carefully, Ayatah. I am going to place my hand over yours, so I am in control of how we remove this arrow. But you will be able to gage just how delicately we must remove it, alright?”

”Yes.” In truth, Ayatah was relieved that the responsibility of removing the arrow was not solely down to her. But then again, Saiete was never going to let her potentially cripple a patient on her first day… right?

Last edited by Ayatah on February 27th, 2013, 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ayatah
The Scholarly Savage

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Ayatah on February 27th, 2013, 6:38 pm

Slowly, Ayatah reached out and rested her fingertips on the remaining shaft of the arrow. Her hand was at the top, near the jagged edges from when she broke into two pieces. But Saiete tutted and shook her head. She slid Ayatah’s arm down, so her grip was closer to the arrowhead itself, as well as Vikent’s wound.

Then, the healer wrapped her own hand over Ayatah’s, ever so softly. When she spoke, her words were a mere whisper:

”Heavy handedness is helpful in medicine, sometimes. Not in this case.” She shifted her position slightly, yet her hand remained perfectly still. ”Do you see the way the arrow is embedded? We need to pull it out at the same angle. I know I’ve said it before, but it is detrimental that you do not move this arrow at all. There is so much muscle and nerve in that area that if we do further damage, Vikent could lose all use of that arm.”

Ayatah threw the healer a quizzical look. She knew what muscles were, but… nerves? She had heard them in passing before, but had not truly understand what context they belonged to.

Saiete rolled her eyes, but there was a tiny smile to her lips when she spoke:
”that’s something you can read up on later. Now, ready?”

No.

”Yes.”

Then slowly, so extremely slowly, Saiete pulled. Vikent winced and groaned, but the healer did not seem alarmed by his sounds. Ayatah barely heard them; her complete and utter attention was on the arrow, watching as blood-stained stone began to erupt from puckered skin. She could feel the tension in Saiete’s arm, but the arrow was coming out cleanly. It did not catch on any muscles or fat (or at least, it didn’t feel like it was) as the two woman slowly retracted it.

And suddenly, it was out. Much to her delight, the wound (which was… smaller than she had expected) hardly bled.

Ayatah thought that this would be the time to relax and take a breath, but -- no. Apparently, it was time for fast action.

”Right, Ayatah. We need to seal this wound before it gets infected. But first, we must clean it.”

Saiete pointed to the bedside cupboard once again, her finger waggling towards a small bottle that held dark green moss. Ayatah recognised instantly. ”Our clan healer uses this. We called it--“

”Soft moss? Your clan is not alone. It is the best thing to clean and pack wounds. Do you know how to use it?”

Yes. Maybe. I don’t know. She had seen her aunt use it plenty of times before; she sponged the wound with one handful of moss, before placing some fresh around (and sometimes within) the wound prior to bandaging… But what if Ayatah’s memory was mistaken? She did not want to come across as a complete moron.

”I… don’t think so.” She answered slowly.

Saiete tsked once more, before describing exactly what Ayatah had expected. Annoyed with her sudden lack of confidence, the half-breed sat about the next job of cleaning the wound

But Vikent winced and leaned away the moment the dark moss touched his wound. She glanced behind her, seeking further guidance from the healer. As soon as Saiete began to shape her lips to answer, Ayatah knew what she was going to say:

”Water!”

Grabbing the water skin once again, she let a few cold drops spill into the cut, waited, and tried patting the wound once more. Vikent still screwed his eyes shut, but his reactions were not so dramatic now, and Ayatah knew his skin had numbed a little.

”Right, now lay some fresh moss over the wound, do it thinly, though.”

The order was carried out, with Ayatah pulling apart a pinch of the damp moss before laying it directly over the four-inch long cut. She held it in place with the tips of her fingers, careful not to place any pressure on the injury itself.

”You will have to wrap the dressing right beside where you tied the other bandage on his arm to stop the blood flow, yes? The older woman tapped the area on her own arm, chest, ”like this, see? And double-layer it, for strength.”

”Yes…”

She’d need a good deal of dressing, so Ayatah pulled at the end of the bandage roll with her free hand, hoping it would unravel neatly and give her enough material to use.

Unfortunately, though, it didn’t. The roll - well, it rolled right off the cupboard, to finally stop right under Vikent’s bed. She grinned sheepishly to Saiete, holding up her hand that still clutched to the end of the dressing to show that her clumsiness had not been utterly disastrous. The healer merely shook her head, and with a great grunt, bent down to retrieve the rest of the bandage roll.

”Do not rush, Ayatah. There is a difference between being quick and rushing. The former will save lives.”

Armed with the right amount of bandaging, Ayatah covered the wound, moving and replacing her hand on top of the dressing to keep it in place. Then she paused, and tilted her head to one side.

I’ll need to tie it… So I’ll have to leave an inch or so for me to have enough to bind it together with the other end…

She threaded the material under Vikent’s armpit, behind him, and repeated the loop once more. By the time she had done a double layering of bandage, there was just enough spare material to tie the two ends together and hold the dressing in place.

Finally, and with a great sight, Ayatah leaned back. The arrow had been removed, the wound cleaned and bandaged. She turned to Saiete for further instruction, and the old healer gave a wane smile.

”Well done. Not a bad first attempt at all, but we have much to cover today, and limited bells to do it.” She stood up straight, wincing as her back twinged and her body reminded her that she was no longer a young woman. ”Come, Ayatah. It will be a long day for you.”

Last edited by Ayatah on March 6th, 2013, 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ayatah
The Scholarly Savage

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Limey on February 27th, 2013, 11:07 pm

Skill and Lore Rewards
Skills Lore
Observation 3 Lore: Healer's Lodge, Taloba Barracks
Medicine 3 The Djed Storm: An Unknowable Horror
Herbalism 1 We Must All Be More Than What We Are
Seeing Faults As A Challenge
Lore: Nettle Water
The Importance Of Clean Wounds
Tying A Tourniquet
Fear Masked As Anger
Numbing The Wound With Cold Water
"Nerves": Not Just For The Nervous
Soft Moss: For Packing Wounds
Always More To Do...

Additional Notes :
Wow, you really packed in a lot in this thread. Even more impressive, you used a lot of practical knowledge: cold water, moss, the nettle water idea... all useful lores and skills. Most importantly, however, is that you actually DID IT yourself, rather than just watched Saite work. That's crucial to gaining any kind of knowledge or skills in this game.

Overall, I liked this thread. Your characterizations are always great, but the broader backdrop of the Djed Storm added an extra level of desperation to the whole scene. About time we started seeing through roleplays what havoc and devastation that inflicted on Falyndar and the Myrians.

Any questions or queries, please PM me.
Limey
[Insert G&R Lyrics Here]

Words: 91990
Joined roleplay: January 20th, 2013, 10:32 pm
Race: Human
Office