PM to join A Sense of Horses

Vallora // Khida finds someone to teach her something about horses.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

A Sense of Horses

Postby Khida on March 3rd, 2013, 11:38 pm

Spring 6, 513 AV
dusk

The bell around sunset was the time for most creatures to seek shelter, ultimately the comfort of their bed. Not all -- but most. It was definitely a time for the humans of Endrykas to finish up their business and retreat to their tents -- their pavilions -- becoming vague shadows behind the canvas walls. The falcon observed, as she often did, lumpy silhouette distinct against the orange-streaked sky where she perched atop a pavilion's centerpole.

The routine of the Drykas, in general outline, had become familiar to her over the past two seasons. One and all, they saw to their Striders first -- visiting with the horses, checking hooves and legs as appropriate, brushing out coats and the long, flowing manes and tails. Truth be told, Khida wasn't entirely certain what the riders did for the horses -- she could watch the motions, sometimes label the instruments, but the needs of the equines remained inscrutable to her.

Khida had slowly come about to the conclusion that this needed to change. If these bonded Striders were so important to the Drykas -- to him -- then they also needed to be important to her.

She mulled over this thought as she watched her surroundings. This pavilion was not packed in with the rest of the city, but sat out near the verge where the horses were more apt to graze. It gave the peregrine Kelvic a good view of the four-legged beasts, and opportunity to think about them in peace. Even if her thinking didn't really get her anywhere just now.
Spring threads: 2/5 .. | .. Season Goals .. | .. GradersMaxed skill: Observation.
Khida
Player

Words: 574944
Joined roleplay: April 14th, 2012, 11:14 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

A Sense of Horses

Postby Vallora Salvari on March 4th, 2013, 12:22 pm

"I'll take care of the horses," Vallora called out lightly to her brother as she pushed the canvas flap away. Syna's light had started to dim, slowly being replaced by Leth's silver glow. The plain expanded in front her eyes; the tall grass swaying slightly with the soft music of the wind. It was a tranquil scenery.

Just as she had expected, the rest of the Drykas had probably headed to their respective pavilions or the Stalk Meet. It was preferable for her to come out when there was no one around - which was not such a rare thing for her pavilion was located on the outskirts of Endrykas, lone and quiet.

Today was the 6th of Spring, where Drykas gather with their friends and families, sharing and giving. It might have been a far more festive day if she knew a lot more people than she do now. Xaven was her close friend and a very dear brother. She wouldn't want to complain, but she did wish that her pavilion was not as it was. Normal and adored - like how it used to, according to father. On days like this, Vallora resigned the fact that she had not any close relations or even acquaintance.

Xaven had tried to be all vibrant but there was a shadow in his eyes, one Vallora knew well and one she knew resided in her eyes as well. It was the first Feast of Life they had celebrated since Kaliro's and Hal'eka's deaths. Both siblings did not mention their . . . discomfort, but they understood each other well enough that the festivity reopened some unhealed wound. Vallora kept thinking about the better years.

When her thought snapped back to reality, she realized that she had walked quite far indeed. Two familiar Cyphrus Striders were grazing some distance away, looking dissatisfied. Not wasting any more time daydreaming, she approached her own horse. Alltave, Xaven's strider, was only several paces away, perking up when she got closer. With what looked like a disappointed glance, he continued on munching the green grass. Alltave had never paid that much attention to anyone besides Xaven. He's going to be dealt with later.

Vallora turned back to Talvael and started brushing his mane gently. The gesture was so familiar and routine that she did not have to think as her hands moved. "How are you enjoying the city life, my friend?" Talvael neighed in disapproval. A smile tugged at her lips. Here, there were so many Drykas with their own horses and Vallora knew that the good grass had been finished. Her poor horse was forced to find what was left. No wonder he disliked it. Her horse was a lot like her.

In silence, Vallora tended her dear equastrian friend, enjoying the silence and not thinking too much.
Last edited by Vallora Salvari on March 9th, 2013, 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vallora Salvari
Webber of the Exiled Pavilion

Words: 75863
Joined roleplay: February 25th, 2013, 2:48 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

A Sense of Horses

Postby Khida on March 5th, 2013, 10:46 pm

A rustling of canvas, a voice speaking in Pavi -- feminine, the falcon noted, an inference confirmed when the Drykas woman came into view. She seemed distracted, as she walked out into the grasses, and Khida wondered for a moment how far she would go. Only a moment, as it soon proved to be not far at all -- just over to meet with two Striders who grazed nearby, which explained the things she was carrying. Or perhaps it was just one of them the woman tended; the other seemed not to greet her, to the Kelvic's uneducated eye.

She considered the small gathering for a few moments, then reached a decision which wasn't quite impulse nor quite reasoned out. The falcon leapt from her perch and dropped down beside the pavilion, landing amidst the partially-trampled grasses and shifting to human. The evening air was brisk on her bare skin, but markedly warmer than it had been during the depths of winter, a sign of the season change. One Khida particularly appreciated right now.

Shaking her hair back from her face, Khida walked out towards the Drykas woman's earlier track, approaching openly and without any particular evidence of hesitation or uncertainty. Though her posture offered no threat, only cautious interest -- and she was careful not to approach too close, at first, coming to a halt a short distance from the Drykas. "You're brushing the horses," the Kelvic said in Common; that much was decidedly not a question.

"Will you show me how?"
Spring threads: 2/5 .. | .. Season Goals .. | .. GradersMaxed skill: Observation.
Khida
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

A Sense of Horses

Postby Vallora Salvari on March 9th, 2013, 2:48 am

A silent and lone time was what she expected, but surprisingly, it was not what she had acquired.

When the foreign voice talked to her, Vallora had whirled quickly, her hand inching towards the dagger on her waist. The dagger was not the best line of her defense but it was better than nothing. Her eyes immediately focused on the feminine figure in front of her. The woman looked about a few years older than her, with dark hair a pair of sharp amber eyes. There was something Vallora couldn't quite say about the woman. A little whisper that told her the figure in front of her was not fully human.

The woman stood some paces away from her purposefully. She did not seem to pose any means of confrontation. "You're brushing the horses," the woman had said in Common tongue. "Will you show me how?"

For one, Vallora was taken aback by the woman's straightforwardness, coming up to a stranger and the likes. But in a way, her straightforwardness had soothed Vallora's edgy nerves, it convinced her even more that the stranger in front of her meant no harm. But still, Vallora was not quite sure what to say. She was a stranger still and Vallora had learned not to trust a stranger quite so quickly. "Who are you? And how did you get here? I did not see you coming at all," uttered Vallora in lightly-accented Common.
Vallora Salvari

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

A Sense of Horses

Postby Khida on March 18th, 2013, 10:41 am

The woman was nervous, wary, with one hand hovering near her weapon; Khida made no attempt to move closer, maintaining that respectful distance. Far enough that she had a good chance of shifting back before the woman reached her, if need be. But for the moment, the woman held herself to asking questions in return. Khida canted her head as she spoke, glancing down at the grass beneath her feet and the trail of bent stalks she'd left in her wake. The one seemed like a rather silly question.

"I walked," Khida stated, which was exactly true, if narrow in scope. Turning back around towards the woman, she continued, "You were looking at the horse. I was behind you. It would have been hard for you to see me." Simple matter-of-fact words, straightforward and blunt. Her eyes flicked to the brush in the woman's hand, then back up to Vallora's face. The woman hadn't taken immediate offense, but she seemed possibly too wary still. Khida wasn't sure how to get her to relax, brow creasing as she considered the issue.

"I did not mean to surprise you." Which was true, but wouldn't have set Khida's feathers much at ease in the woman's place. "You do not need to worry. I do not want your horse. Or your knife. I do not even want your brush." She just wanted the woman's knowledge, and for that, the woman needed to cooperate. Maybe if they exchanged names, the woman would feel easier. She had asked for one. "I am called Khida," the Kelvic went on. "If you give me your name, then we are not strangers. Then you can show me." Determined, one-track mind at work there.

As an afterthought, she glanced at the horse Vallora stood beside. The other Drykas had said his horse was like family. "And your Strider," she added, "his name is?" Hopefully a little extra effort to be 'polite' would help convince the woman to agree. The lone Pavi word in her sentence, Khida pronounced like the foreign and unfamiliar item it was.
Khida
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

A Sense of Horses

Postby Vallora Salvari on March 22nd, 2013, 2:12 pm

After the woman answered Vallora's question plainly, she could held back a short retort. It was not really the answer she wanted, but she figured it did not matter much. The other woman had glanced at Vallora's dagger, but made no move. As much as Vallora was leery about a stranger, she figured the brandishing of weapons would not help.

The other woman seemed honestly curious about horse-care - which Vallora found quite peculiar. Then the woman had introduced herself as Khida. With no visible Windmarks, Vallora guessed she was no Drykas. Then again, it might be someone like her, who's tattoos were hidden under a layer of skin. But something told her that Khida was not one of the horse people. Which means she should be trusted completely.

Yet, at the woman's effort in a rusty Pavi, Vallora's suspicion in foreigners was quelled the slightest bit. But that did not mean anything. If the stranger wanted to learn horse-care, she did not see any reason why she should not give that knowledge to the woman. Still, that did not mean Vallora would let her guard down that easy. Her guarded distrust was slightly foolish - she knew that full well - but she could not will it away either. Experiences spoke loud in her mind.

"My name's Vallora," she replied a little curtly in Common. She turned back to her Strider and patted his mane. "And his name is Talvael. Say hello, Talvael." At the last statement, Vallora switched to her Pavi tongue - which she did without thinking. Talvael neighed in somewhat assent. He nudged his rider gently, sensing her discomfort.

Vallora looked back at the woman, Khida, who seemed quite intent in learning. She was not what to say really. "I do not mind helping, but I'm not sure what I could teach you. I am no expert and I cannot be sure where to start. I simply know the basics, enough to keep my Strider mostly happy. Are you quite sure you would like me to teach you?"

Vallora Salvari

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

A Sense of Horses

Postby Khida on March 24th, 2013, 1:51 pm

Khida didn't seem at all perturbed by the woman's curt self-introduction. She tilted her head as the woman -- Vallora -- turned towards her Strider, then nodded to both Drykas and horse. "Hello, Talvael," she echoed promptly enough. Considering the statement she'd just made for a moment, she looked to Vallora. "That is 'hello,' a greeting?" Khida asked, checking her inference of the new word's meaning. She had no compunctions about revealing her near-complete ignorance of Pavi -- how else was she to improve it, than by asking at every opportunity?

The woman mentioned her own relative lack of expertise in horse care, to which the falcon Kelvic only shrugged. "You know more than I do. I do not mind where we start." She stepped forward, taking Vallora's implicit consent to instruct her as an invitation to approach the Drykas and her Strider. As she did so, Khida held out her hand for the horse to sniff if he wanted, palm up and fingers flattened; four-leggeds, she thought relied on scent as much as sight, so it seemed only proper to do.

Turning back to Vallora, Khida reached out to touch the brush. "Start with this," she suggested. "What is it called?"
Last edited by Khida on March 31st, 2013, 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Khida
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

A Sense of Horses

Postby Vallora Salvari on March 31st, 2013, 10:35 am

"Yes, it is a form of greeting," Vallora replied quietly. Clearly, the woman was just trying to find her way through the language of the Drykas and she seemed quite intent in learning it. Vallora repeated the sentence one more time for Khida.

When Khida pointed out that Vallora was better than her, Vallora figured it was a fine point. The other woman took a step closer and let Talvael sniff her hand - which Vallora found quite smart. It was a good move, letting the Strider recognize the stranger. From what she saw until now, Vallora found that Khida could understand animals easily. It would make Talvael easier to approach for her.

Khida had turned her attention back to Vallora and reach out for the brush in her hand. Vallora handed it over to her, just so that the other woman could get used to holding it. "It's called a brush. And just like its name, it's a tool for brushing the horses. Talvael here particularly liked his mane well tended." She ran her fingers through her horse's silky coat. "You can try it if you want to. It is easy. My horse is not too jumpy around new people." Just to make sure, Vallora kept a close hand at her Strider if he decided to act out.

Vallora Salvari

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

A Sense of Horses

Postby Khida on April 1st, 2013, 9:09 am

Hello. Khida noted the word as one she'd undoubtedly have much need for in the future. Accepting the brush from Vallora, she gave it a brief examination -- for the most part, it really was nothing special. It had no handle, but was just an oval of wood with bristles glued into one side. It fit fairly well in her hand, and had neither too much nor too little weight to it.

Taking Talvael's continued steadiness as implicit permission to approach, Khida moved over by the Strider's flank, settling the brush into her grip. She set the bristles against the horse's coat, drawing the brush down with the direction of the hair, pressure light. She repeated the motion using a little more pressure, then moved further down the horse's neck and shoulder.

"Yes, I know it's a brush," Khida replied, looking back over at the woman. "What is it called in Pavi?" She glanced at the tool, then paused in her brushing to hold it out a little ways. "This is?" she continued in that language, seeming to test the phrase out, as if it were an unfamiliar construction.

"Horses were not so important before," Khida remarked, turning back to the horse and resuming her brushing, stepping back to move down his flank. "But here there are more horses than humans. He said they were like family. So I need to learn about them. Will you tell me about Talvael?"
Khida
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

A Sense of Horses

Postby Vallora Salvari on April 4th, 2013, 1:32 pm

"Oh, right," Vallora replied, a bit flustered. Of course the woman knew that it was a brush. She pressed her lips together. How is it that she finds it so hard to interact lightly and comfortably? As requested, Vallora pronounced the word brush for the other woman carefully. She had never taught anyone besides her brother to do anything and so, Vallora could not be sure how to act.

Alltave was still ignoring the two humans who were merely a couple of feet away from him. Though, from time to time, she could see him neighing in discomfort. It was clear that he was waiting for Xaven to come out and take care of him.

She watched quietly as Khida started to brush Talvael's mane. It was a bit odd to see someone else taking care of her own horse. The dark-colored Cyphrus Strider had been one of the constant things in her life. She could still perfectly remember the day she had received her Windmark.

Then, Khida had said to her, "Horses were not so important before.But here there are more horses than humans. He said they were like family. So I need to learn about them. Will you tell me about Talvael?"

Vallora had not expected the woman to be so interested in horses. But then, she had mentioned a he. Maybe her loved one was a Drykas and she wanted to like what the man likes? Still, she wondered why Khida did not simply ask him to teach her - choosing instead, a random stranger.

Even after knowing that the woman simply wished to study, Vallora could help herself from slowly and carefully choosing her words. "Well, he's a Cyphrus Strider - which means he could travel much faster than other horses in the Grassland. And just like you said, to the Drykas, our horses are like a part of our families. He's a living, and therefore, he is sacred, just like humans or any of the races." Slowly, Vallora took her place in front of Talvael, looking into its intelligent eyes. She didn't know if she imagined it or not, but Cyphrus Striders had always seem more knowing than other horses. Countless times she had heard that Striders were simply reincarnations of the spirit of the people. At first, she did not believe it, but she took in the truth of those words soon enough.

"Talvael likes to wander around alone," Vallora added sudddenly, still not quite how to explain one of the closest friends she had to a stranger. "And he doesn't like Alltave, my brother's strider." She motioned at the lone black horse who stood placidly, munching on the grass. The girl finally decided to care for the other horse, even knowing that he would hate it.

Vallora Salvari

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Next