Closed The Fall of Chivalry [Eilea]

An unlikely meeting between two opposite personalities may bring them to an understanding.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

The Fall of Chivalry [Eilea]

Postby Kane on April 16th, 2013, 9:24 pm

As they’d walked, Kane hadn’t really noticed Eilea’s unusual quietness. In fact, his earlier sarcastic outburst was all but forgotten for now. He was far too focused on studying the log, trying to remember the direction from which he’d seen it.

As such, he was walking around it to examine it from every direction. He couldn’t say why it had caught his eye on the way in. But then again, he could say that for most things he noticed. The oddest things caught his attention at the oddest times.

Saul eyed the Vantha as she pointed her arrow at him. She moved closer to Kane before addressing him. “Which way do you think we should go?” He stared at the log before pointing just to the left of it. “I’m pretty sure it’s that way.”

Eilea nodded and took the lead. Seeing no problem with this, Kane shrugged before following. They walked quietly for a while.

Something odd finally struck him. She’s being rather quiet... Now that’s weird. Quirking a brow, he stared hard at her back. Usually she won’t shut up. He wondered what possibly could have caused this change. Thinking back, she started acting differently when-Wait, was she upset with him? I wouldn’t be surprised. I make most people who talk to me for long periods of time upset. Kane pondered on the earlier happenings.

He’d almost flinched back as Eilea screamed at him. More from her tone then her actual words. She was usually so happy and he hadn’t been expecting her to yell.

So he’d hurt her feelings. He really didn’t feel bad, it was just how he was. Well, mostly. Perhaps he shouldn’t have been so harsh about her Nari. She had only been trying to learn.

The pursuit of knowledge was something that he could respect. Perhaps, once they were out of this situation, he could help her with her Nari. He knew enough to teach the basic structure, enough for a good foundation in the language. Not that he didn’t want something out of the deal. If he were to teach her Nari, she’d have to teach him Vani.

Kane almost ran into Eilea’s back as she suddenly stopped. Peeking over her shoulder, he was met with the sight of a huge drop off. Well that can’t be right... The Vantha spoke exactly what he was thinking. “This isn't right. I think we went the wrong way, we should probably head back, completely retrace our steps.” She turned and refused to meet his eyes while switching to Navi to ask him his thoughts. He’d definitely upset her.

Sighing, Kane ran a hand through his hair before speaking back in Nari. “I am not sure. I would hate to go all the way back, but we do not have a choice.” He nodded to her. “We should go back.” After waiting for her to seem ready, he began to walk.

Now that he was aware of the silence, it was rather awkward. It was really awkward actually. He couldn’t help it. He had to speak. “Soooo... You’re from Avanthal right?” Kane switched from Common to Nari, she seemed to want to speak that for now. “What is it like there?” His need to fill the silence wasn’t his only reason for asking, he was genuinely curious. Taldera was a continent he’d never visited, and he doubted he ever would. It was far too cold there for his liking. So, the only way to learn was to ask someone from said region. “I mean, other then being really cold. But I bet you do not mind. You are a Vantha.”

Once again, he couldn’t stop himself. He was about to blather. This situation was far too awkward. “I mean, for a human like me it would be way too cold.” He spoke in Nari. “I would probably turn to ice in the first day. Can not really handle the cold.” With barely a pause, he continued. “Is it true that you get a mark from the goddess Morwen? I have read about her. She is very interesting.”

He wasn’t lying. Kane rather liked Morwen, despite his hate of winter. She was one of the more fascinating deities, and he loved to read stories of her. He didn’t think he’d ever meet her though. She did bring the cold after all.

Any other rambling he might have done, whether aloud or not, was cut off as they were once again met by the log.

Turning, he looked back at the Vantha. She had yet to answer him, but he hadn’t really given her a chance. That was embarrassing. He quieted and crossed his arms, waiting for her to respond.
Kane
Darnit Eilea, I'm Your Friend Not Your Lover!

Words: 84491
Joined roleplay: December 15th, 2011, 5:44 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Eilea on April 17th, 2013, 9:06 pm

The word "Avanthal" piqued her interest. Eilea looked to Kane curiously. He was actually speaking in Nari. She raised an eyebrow. 'What is this? Is it his form of apologizing?' She blinked twice, about to respond, when he continued talking. The girl glanced around. 'Well... Okay, I'll take it. Maybe he's nervous?' A spark of excitement hit her eyes. Their color changed. A smile formed on her lips and as they walked, she moved closer to him.

He continued talking and she studied his posture, his pace, his movement. Kane really was a handsome man. Not that she didn't know that before, but she TRULY believed it. She began to mimic his walking pattern. When he stepped with his left foot, she stepped with her left foot. As he spoke, she only caught bits and pieces of what he said, for her full attention wasn't listening to him, it was on him in general. She even lost track of what they were doing.

Suddenly Kane was staring at her. He seemed to be expecting something.

Did he want her to kiss him?

The Vantha bit her lip, then decided he probably just wanted her to talk. She had been quiet. She had been spiteful. She had been...

'Oh he's so cute...' Her thoughts distracted her once again. But after a couple ticks, she decided to talk. "Yes. Avanthal is my home. Yes. It is cold." She pondered her words, using Nari to the best of her ability, the whistles being the most difficult part. The way she had to use her tongue to form a windpipe in her mouth was very difficult. With a sigh, she decided to continue in common, to make things easier, as well as to try not to annoy Kane as much. "It's very nice. The people are wonderful. There's always ice and snow... except for that little storm last spring... But there's usually always snow! And Morwen... She's amazing. She's so beautiful and... and..." She pulled her hair from behind her ear and showed KAne the part of a snowflake that was imprinted on her skin. "Oh, and you had asked about a mark, right?" Eilea's love for her home was quite evident in the way she spoke. She was enthusiastic and happy, as well as express with the hand gestures that she made. "Sadly, I don't have too much family left there. After my mother dying, which really depressed me for a while, and then my father, during the storm he went missing, and so... He's probably dead. I guess, I've really been on my own too long, you know?" Eilea didn't want to talk any more about that. They were finally talking. It was sweet. And Kane was acting so nervous and adorable.

"Well, I've told you a bit about me, now what about you? Tell me something, or anything. Being quiet is rather annoying, so we should talk. Yes." She said simply and they continued walking.

After walking, for what seemed like forever, chattering back and forth between each other, the two were getting tired. Eilea was slowing down. Her head was starting to hurt. Her body ached, her side throbbed.

With a sigh of disappointment, she stopped walking and looked around the area. All she could see was petrified trees, mushrooms, and a log.

A log?

Eilea turned to Kane. "We need to rest. I feel like we've been walking in circles."

They had been walking in circles.

"How long have we been in here anyways?" She took this opportunity to take his hand in hers and then lead him over to the nearby fallen log. "Let's sit for a while." She suggested, before squeezing his hand encouragingly, and then let go of him to remove her bag from her shoulder.

The girl set the bag against the log, as well as her bow, then sat down, resting her elbows on her knees and her chin on her hands. Hopefully Kane would have an idea of how to get back. Her concentration was waning. Something needed to change.
Eilea
KAAAAAAAANNNEE!

Words: 80945
Joined roleplay: February 10th, 2013, 9:08 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kane on May 3rd, 2013, 12:17 am

Eilea was quiet, and after a few ticks Kane wasn’t sure if she was going to answer him at all. Perhaps he had scorned her. He wasn’t sure if he would be grateful about that or not. There was little chance of him making it out of this forest on his own, after all.

Not that it isn’t incredibly likely for us to die in here now. He glanced around the area warily, feeling tension enter his being. I bet some miners will find our dead bodies under a tree somewhere, scratched up and eaten. They’d know what the guano was made of that day. Saul nosed his hand and he glanced down at him, his chest lightening a bit.

Luckily, the Vantha began to speak before Kane could delve any deeper into his thoughts. "Yes. Avanthal is my home. Yes. It is cold." He studied her as she spoke.She’s having some trouble with her Nari. Mostly the whistles.

Then she seemed to give up on Nari, switching back to speaking Common. "It's very nice. The people are wonderful. There's always ice and snow... except for that little storm last spring... But there's usually always snow! And Morwen... She's amazing. She's so beautiful and... and..." Storm? Ah, she must mean the Djed Storm. He’d heard about the effect it’d had in Avanthal. It would have been nice to visit the area while it was still warm. Once he found out, he’d cursed missing his chance.

Eilea moved on to showing him her gnosis mark, a snowflake which was positioned right behind her ear. His eyes locked onto it. A Morwen gnosis mark was one that he’d never seen before. Kane wondered for a second how the placement had been chosen.

"Sadly, I don't have too much family left there. After my mother dying, which really depressed me for a while, and then my father, during the storm he went missing, and so... He's probably dead. I guess, I've really been on my own too long, you know?" Kane felt empathy for her for the first time. If anything had happened to his family, he honestly wasn’t sure what he’d do. You know, after raining death upon whoever was responsible. He didn’t care that he couldn’t fight to save his own life; he’d find a way.

Just because he’d run away without a word, didn’t mean he didn’t care.

"Well, I've told you a bit about me, now what about you? Tell me something, or anything. Being quiet is rather annoying, so we should talk. Yes."

Kane pondered for a tick about what he’d be willing to tell her about himself. She’d told him about herself, so it would only be fair that he return the favor. And he was still stuck with her for a while. He could always lie though.

Considering this for a moment, Kane tapped his chin. Saul nipped on his other hand and gave him the ‘look’. It was the one that reminded him so much of his father that it almost had him recoiling in defense.

Fine, he wouldn’t lie. He’d summarize.

“Well, I’m originally from Syliras. Lived with my dad and three brothers.” Family was a touchy subject for him, one he didn’t want to get into. “It wasn’t a bad place to live, but I got bored after living there for seventeen years. So I left.” He didn’t mention the other reason why he’d left. It was far too personal. With a shrug, he continued. “I kind of just wandered wherever I felt from there. Ended up becoming something like a pirate for a while.” Crossing his arms, he paused for a second. “I mean, being on a pirate ship for a few years makes you count as a pirate, right?”

Staring up at the sky, he considered what to say next. “I ended up parting with the ship on Kalea, closer to the Suvan Sea. And from there I pretty much just made my way to Wind Reach.”

He nodded to himself before grinning. “Oh, though later you should ask me how I ended up with my horse. That’s a pretty funny story.”

Kane sighed and stared down at the ground. They had been walking for quite a while now. Where they lost? He hoped they weren’t getting mixed up in their directions. I just want to get out of this place. Eilea swayed a bit as she walked and he glanced over to her. She wasn’t looking so good.

Not that he was doing very well himself. His shoulder was shooting pain through his body every time he moved it. Wincing was something he refused to do though, so he had been powering through the pain.

He studied her curiously as she stopped. Perhaps they should stop for a while. It wouldn’t be good to be tired and haggard if something decided to attack.

"We need to rest. I feel like we've been walking in circles."

Well then.

Kane nodded in agreement. A break sounded good at the moment. "How long have we been in here anyways?" That was a good question. It was impossible to tell the time of day. This peeved him for a reason he couldn’t quite grasp.

She grabbed his hand, leading him to a log. He wasn’t sure how to feel about this. “Let’s sit for a while.” Relief hit him. Holding hands wasn’t something that he was all that comfortable with. Especially with someone who had tried to kiss him.

Settling himself down on the log, he folded his arms on his legs and leaned forward. Now that he was sitting, he could recognize just how weary he’d become. Even Saul was tired, judging from the way he laid at their feet, head rested on his paws.

The underground forest was gradually sapping their strength. Staying in this area was going to become more and more dangerous the longer they stayed. Kane was starting to get hungry. He made a face as he rubbed his angry stomach. Okay, brainstorming time.

Turning to the Vantha, he began to speak. “We really need to think of a way to get out of here.: He glared around at the trees. “I hate this place now. I just want to leave.” As he spoke, he picked up a rock and tossed it between his hands. Fidgeting with something was a bit of a nervous habit. “Maybe... we could find a way to mark our path?”

He wasn’t sure how though... There really wasn’t anything on his person that could be used. He cursed himself for forgetting his knife this morning, it would really be useful right now. Well, it’s not like I was expecting to run into trouble in the market place.

“Do you have anything that we might be able to use?” He looked over to Eilea before glancing around the area, before looking back to his hands. Hmm... The rock might work? “Maybe...” Standing up, he made his way over to a nearby tree. Bringing the rock up to the rocky bark, he struck downwards, attempting to dig into the surface. It didn’t work. In fact, there wasn’t even so much as a mark.

Kane growled and tried again. Still nothing. “Stupid little...” A glower. “I hate this place!”

In his anger, he threw the rock in his hands at the tree. Of course, his amazing luck chose that moment to kick in. The rock hit the tree and ricocheted.

And then it hit him in the head.

“Shyke!!” As he rubbed his head, he glared at Eilea, daring her. “Don’t you laugh.” He then kicked the rock as hard as he could in revenge.

“I really hate this place.”
Kane

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Eilea on May 31st, 2013, 11:47 pm

OOC :
So, it's possible that this may sound ridiculous. I'm watching Sherlock to get my fill of Khan... er... well, you know what I mean. I'm sorry it has taken me almost a month to respond. Next time know that you CAN come over and force me to write. Okay?

Eilea studied Kane for a while, paying close attention to his posture. She was worried, very worried about him. Her eyes showed that with their deep emerald green tone. But, she was also worried about herself. As much as she didn't want to admit it, she was very exhausted and tired. All she wanted to do was rest. But then Kane began to talk. He was very frustrated. He wanted to leave, and so did she. The Vantha sighed to herself and looked down at her hands in her lap.

"A way to mark our path? Good idea..." She sighed and pressed her feet into the ground. "The only thing I could think of would be to purposely leave footprints, but I'm not sure how easy that will be."

As Kane walked towards one of the petrified trees, Eilea leaned over and laid down on the log. 'I just want to sleep... I'm really tired.' She started to drift off when Kane let out a swear. She nearly fell off of the log in surprise, then lifted herself up to look at him. "Did you just hit yourself with a rock?" The Vantha sat up and grabbed her quiver and bow. As funny as it would be any other time, the situation was taking a turn. She was in pain. She was feeling weak.

"Maybe we should rest!" She suggested. The Vantha girl closed her eyes and turned tot he side a bit, before leaning back and laying on the log one more time. This time she held her short bow against her chest.

There was a noise from above. A repetitive pounding or rather flapping of wings. The sound reminded Eilea of the large bats they had ran into before. She wrinkled her noise at the memory as the redundant sounds got louder... closer.

Her eyes flashed open and she quickly sat up, looking around as she did. Sure enough, it seemed that another bat had found its way towards them. Eilea let out a cry, "Kane!" Without thinking, she moved towards him, drawing an arrow as she did.

"We just need to to go!" She said.

Eilea
KAAAAAAAANNNEE!

Words: 80945
Joined roleplay: February 10th, 2013, 9:08 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kane on June 13th, 2013, 2:44 am

Kane was very glad that Eilea didn’t laugh, though he lackluster response was a bit concerning. “Maybe we should rest...” He watched as she laid back against the log, still holding her bow at the ready.

He felt for her. Currently his legs were aching from overwork, and his shoulder was silently screaming at him every time he moved his left arm. They were in bad shape and they knew it.

Then a sound coming from the trees caught his attention. Oh no, he recognized that sound. The Vantha’s panicked cry affirmed that she knew it as well.

Those bats were fast, he remembered that. There was no way they’d get away if they ran. Only one option was left. He began to frantically search the area for any place big enough for the two of them to fit. C’mon, there has to be something around here!

There! The roots of one of the petrified trees had a hole in it, one large enough for both of them to hide. He grabbed onto Eilea’s arm. “This way!”

Pulling the girl with him, Kane ran over to the hiding spot and, after pushing her into it, followed suit. “Shhh.” He held a finger up to her, signaling for her to quiet herself.

The bats were flying overhead. Peeking slightly out from under the roots, he kept a watch on them as they flew past.

They were definitely surveying the area for the two of them. Their constant cries to attempt to locate them said as much. At the very least, they knew someone was here. Which wasn’t good. Once he and Eilea were safe to move, they had to get out of here as fast as possible.

After waiting a few chimes, the danger had past. Kane turned to the Vantha girl and whispered to her. “Okay, we need to get out of here. Now. I know you want to rest, but that will have to wait until we can get out of here.” He did his best to sound comforting, moral was always an important thing in these situations.

Even if Kane didn’t have the greatest moral himself at the moment. He just wanted out of here.
Kane

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Previous