Closed The Fall of Chivalry [Eilea]

An unlikely meeting between two opposite personalities may bring them to an understanding.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

The Fall of Chivalry [Eilea]

Postby Kane on March 14th, 2013, 5:24 am

30th Spring 513

Kane was currently sprinting as fast as possible into the underground forest, Saul, his dog, dashing after him. Once again, he had managed to land himself in trouble. I really need to stop doing this. He thought as he pushed his legs to go faster in response to the angry yells behind him. Oh, who am I kidding? I’ll never stop makin’ people mad. He smirked as he remembered the events leading up to his current situation.

It had been market day, and he’d been curious to see what the venders had to offer. Of course, he had brought Saul along. He enjoyed the dog’s company, seeing as he was the only one in Kane’s life who didn’t cause him trouble. Also he was cute and Kane liked to pet his black scruffy fur, but that was a different matter entirely.

The market place had been full of life an people, and at times Kane had a hard time seeing what was being sold with all the people huddled around the items. Still, it was a nice day and things were being sold. This was Kane’s kind of day.

While craning his neck and walking on the tips of his toes, he attempted to see into a particularly crowded booth. With all his focus spent on viewing the wares, he completely missed the two Inarta headed his way.

Needless to say, Kane ran right into one of them.

He didn’t hit hard, but it was enough to knock them both over. “Woops.” Kane blinked over at the Inarta, who seemed to be rather peeved with him.

“Excuse you.” He growled at Kane. Oh no. He did not just snark me. Kane’s eyebrow twitched as his mouth pulled back into a sneer. “Excuse me? Excuse you!” He hissed at the red haired man. “Maybe you should watch where you’re goin’!” This only served to anger the Inarta more and, despite his companion’s attempts to calm him, climbed to his feet to lord his presence over the human before barking out, “I think you’re the one who needs to watch where they’re going.” Saul raised his hackles a bit and growled at the man threatening his master, steel blue eyes sharp.

Kane forced himself not to shrink back, comforted by his dog’s protection. Stupid intimidating Inarta. Instead he glared and jumped to his feet. “I’ll have you know that I am always one hundred percent aware of my surroundings, so I’m always watching where I’m goin’.” In a bout of childishness, Kane stuck his tongue out at the other.

The Inarta had looked ready to fight, but his friend stepped in. “This really isn’t worth fighting over, and we’re already late enough as it is. We’ve already had a bad enough day.” He pulled on the other’s arm. “Let’s go.”

After letting out a long breath, the angry red head seemed to deem his friend’s words logical and turned to leave, though not without a well placed glower at the human. Kane was sure to live up to his high maturity level and blew a raspberry at him. The Inarta’s eye twitched in anger.

That’s right. Leave. I win this time. Victory is mine. Kane wore a smug smile before a sparkle to his left caught his eye. Hm, it appears as though Mister Big and Scary dropped somethin’. Reaching down, he picked up a beautifully designed decorative box. It was covered with wonderful, intricate designs made with glass beads of many different colors.

Kane was hit by an evil impulse. While glancing around to secure an escape route, he tossed the box in his hand and caught it several times. With his safety secured, he turned back to the two retreating Inarta, pulled his arm back to the ready, and took aim. Saul almost seemed to groan upon seeing his owner’s stupidity. “Hey! You forgot somethin’!” This was all he yelled before chucking the box. His aim proved true as the box hit the angry man right in the back of his head. Kane’s cackled and a roar of rage were all that were heard before he took off on his escape route. Mess with me will ya. He grinned to himself.

Racing down the streets that he now knew like the back of his hand and with his dog on his heels, Kane dodged and weaved between the various bystanders. Too bad his new enemy was just as skilled at making his way through the crowed streets, and Kane was having a hard time loosing him.

He reached a dead end in the road and skidded to a stop. Okay, where to now? Hiding places were scarce, and the rocks in the area would probably be the first place checked. Seriously? There has to be somewhere to escape to! A secondary scan of the area revealed a cave that he had missed earlier in his completely calm, not-panic. Escape route found! I’d better hurry, that guy’s gonna catch up soon.

His prediction of the Inarta’s timeliness proved true, and Kane found himself being chased into the cave, bringing us to his current predicament.

Many twists and turns later, Kane had lost his chaser, but at the same time had managed to lose himself in the forest. Well this is just great. Huffing to himself, he placed his hands on his hips and surveyed the area. I don’t recognize any of this. I’m completely lost, aren’t I? He sighed and turned to Saul. “You wouldn’t happen to know the way out, would you?”

His dog gave him a look that screamed, ‘This is all your fault.’ “Fine, fine. I’ll find us a way out.” Kane grumbled to himself before beginning his search. As he walked through the forest, all he saw were trees, trees, and more trees. Kane screamed in frustration. “I am gettin’ so tired of these stupid trees! It’s like a maze of trees! I hate trees!!!”

Suddenly, as if responding to his yells, a feral sounding growl resounded through the area. Kane jumped and turning, he found a wild wolf with gleaming teeth. How did that get in here? He thought vaguely to himself as he backed away slowly.

The wolf let out a menacing bark and Saul jumped in front of his master, teeth bared and hackles raised, ready for a fight. Kane’s back hit a tree, neither he nor his dog had any means of escape. Well, isn’t this just great.
Kane
Darnit Eilea, I'm Your Friend Not Your Lover!

Words: 84491
Joined roleplay: December 15th, 2011, 5:44 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Eilea on March 14th, 2013, 9:06 pm

Being part of the Avora caste meant that Eilea had a set amount of work to do each day, a set amount of time to be working. The Vantha was always very punctual with getting her carvings completed for the people she worked for. It was one of the best days to work, being a market day. Eilea loved seeing the Courtyard of the Sky decorated with brilliant colors. She loved seeing the people gather and shop. But most of all, she loved working for people who had shop set up.

This particular day, Eilea was working for an older Inartan man by the name of Jin, who had spent a few years in Avanthal in his earlier days. Because of that, they had a lot to talk about. They discussed the journey to Wind Reach. They discussed the Vanthan culture and how it differed from the Inartan culture. She even got to speak a little Vani with him.

She began carving into the wooden board, using a small V-shaped tool for the words. It was a list of prices she was working into the sign for his customized weaponry shop. The girl was using a diagram drawn on parchment to create the letters and numbers. That diagram was actually what he had used previously for the signage. He was so thrilled to have someone actually carve him a sign. The biggest frustration for Eilea was making it legible and keeping it simple and informative, with very little artistic creativity thrown into it. It was taking a long time, but at least she was getting it done. Luckily, Jin was very patient and seemed to enjoy the girl’s company, so Eilea never felt rushed or that she wasn’t doing the greatest job. She carved some deeper lines into the actual list of items, keeping the prices of a smaller shape and line.

“How does this look?” She asked the shopkeeper as she held up the sign. Her eyes changed colors from a pastel green to a bluer shade as she waited, a bit nervously for the man to answer. He studied the sign for a while, reading through the names and prices.

“Just what I wanted.” Jin finally replied with a simple smile, “Though, is there anything you can do to keep the wood looking so crisp through the seasons?”

“Of course, I planned to add some oil to it.” Her response was a bit shaky, for wood needed to be taken care of very well if one wanted it to last a long time. She just hoped that it would be.

“Great!” Jin turned his attention to a young man who was admiring some of the weapons being shown.

While she began putting some oil onto the wood to strengthen it and protect it, there was some commotion across the way. Jin crossed his arms across his chest and made a disgruntled comment in Nari. Eilea looked up curiously. “What’s going on?” She asked. Jin didn’t know. It sounded like it was getting out of hand.

“If you’re finished you can go check it out.” Jin said, “It might be some sort of brawl. Might be entertaining for one such as yourself!”

The vantha smirked, finished putting the oil on the wood and gave the instructions for taking care of the sign, before gathering her things together. She slung her bow over her shoulder, her bag on the other and placed the woodworking kit inside, securely, before heading towards the ruckus. She was very curious to find out what was going on.

Eilea froze when she saw two red haired men chasing after Kane. They were gaining on him too. Without any thought, she followed them. The vantha moved swiftly, but kept her distance. Before she knew it, she had followed them into an underground cavern. She moved to the side and hid in a shadow as the two Inartan men started speaking to each other in Nari. They seemed obviously upset and a bit threatening. Eilea covered her mouth with her hand in an attempt to not be seen or heard and waited. They hollered back towards the main tunnel, what sounded like an insult mixed with a threat, and then retreated back out towards the outside.

Eilea held her breath until she knew they were gone, out of sight and hearing, and then looked towards the tunnel. Her body tensed up as she realized that she had completely lost track of Kane. 'I have to find him...' She took her bow off her shoulder and grabbed a hold of an arrow from her quiver. Taking a defensive stance, she moved further into the cave, keeping aware of everything around her.

There were unfamiliar noises from every direction, as well as some very unpleasant smells. She moved against a large petrified tree and glanced around, making note of where she had come from. But it all held the same colors and markings. There were many trees, all petrified into rocks. Eilea looked up, noticing that there were some things flying above her. They were large and flying in an odd pattern. She continued moving, pausing against different pillars of rocks and trees, searching for the man she cared about. Needing to figure out more of what was around her, she leaned against a large tree with all her weight, and narrowed her eyes as she looked up trying to identify the flying creatures up ahead. ‘Bats?’ The whole place gave her an uneasy feeling. ‘Kane, why would you come in here? Is this worth it?’

This was the Underground Forest that she had heard stories of. Which meant, she was in danger.

There was a growl. It was from behind the tree. The Vantha’s eyes widened. She took a deep breath, prepped the bow and stepped out, turning as she did, to see a large feral wolf growl. Out of her periferal vision, Kane was there, as well as his dog, who looked as if he was protecting his master.

Eilea pulled back on the bow, then released, sending the arrow towards the wolf. She knew as it left her fingers that it would miss. It did miss, by a few inches. She swore inwardly, knowing that she hadn’t taken enough time to aim. Her body was trembling. Kane was in a danger. That’s all she needed to know. The wolf took attention to her, and crotched low as if about to jump. It let out a low, rumbling growl, that made Eilea’s skin crawl. She grabbed another arrow, pulled back against the string. She didn’t let go right away, she waited, taking a bit longer to aim and steady her breathing. The girl knew her full attention needed to be on the animal if she wanted to actually hit it. But the wolf made another movement. There was no more time to wait. He was ready to jump.

So she let out a breath and released the arrow.
Eilea
KAAAAAAAANNNEE!

Words: 80945
Joined roleplay: February 10th, 2013, 9:08 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kane on March 17th, 2013, 6:43 am

Kane’s eyes were locked onto the wolf as it slowly stopped towards him. His only real defense was Saul, who stood protectively between himself and the beast, but he knew that the wolf was larger. Unless an escape was found soon, they were both likely to die.

Suddenly, as if out of nowhere, an arrow shot out, hitting the ground mere inches from the wolf. All eyes in the area turned to the shooter. That’s...! It was the crazy girl he’d met twice before, standing beside a nearby tree. Kane stared at her in a daze, wondering where exactly she came from. She drew her bow and took aim at the wolf, which had diverted its attention to her.

Kane flinched back as the wolf began to pounce, claws out and teeth flashing. The girl released the arrow.

A howl echoed through the area. The arrow had not only hit its intended target, it had struck it straight in the eye. The wolf thrashed its head around in an attempt to remove it, pawing at its face simultaneously. Eventually, the wounded animal retreated with a final snarl, most likely to tend to its wound. Kane let out a breath he hadn’t realized he’d been holding and sagged against the tree. “Oh thank Eyris.”

After a moment of calm, Kane’s eye’s focused on Eilea and faster then a blink of an eye, he was over by her. “You got rid of it!” He grinned at her, in a very good mood after surviving the beast.

A strange noise resounded through the trees and Kane was immediately clinging to her arm. He glanced around quickly at the surrounding forest, finally making note of the various potential dangers in the area. “Sooo...” He gave her his most charming smile. “Can you get me out of here?”
Kane

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Eilea on March 17th, 2013, 10:08 pm

The arrow flew right towards the wolf. Eilea’s eyes widened as she watched it pierce the animal’s eye. A small gasp escaped from the Vantha’s mouth. ‘It actually hit?’ She straightened her body. ‘I must be getting better at this.’ For a spilt second, Eilea congratulated herself. But then a loud, sharp scream from the wolf broke her thoughts in half. She lowered the bow and watched. ‘Not good.’ The wolf thrashed around, trying to dislodge the arrow from it’s eye. It let out a few more cries before running off, the opposite direction from which the vantha had come from. ‘I didn’t kill it.’ Disappointment flooded her eyes, but she did feel relieved. For the moment, they were safe. But, it was possible that she had gotten turned around from how she had entered the cave. In which case, they were in even more trouble.

As Kane rushed over to her, she just stared at him, a bit confused. He grabbed ahold of her arm, tightly, clingingly. “Kane!” She nearly hissed. “Calm it!” There was rustling up, above them. She looked up accusingly, to find a large bat, flying around excitably. The cry from the wolf had to have alerted it of their presence.

In any other situation, the vanthan girl would have held onto Kane, but they were in danger, in an unsafe place. She knew better than to stand around in plain sight.

Prying Kane’s fingers from her arm, Eilea took him by the hand and led him back, behind and under a petrified tree. It was there that she moved her bow onto her shoulder and ran her fingers through her hair, thinking. How did she allow herself to get into this situation? How did she allow the wolf to leave? It was angry, obviously. She injured it but didn’t kill it. So it would probably want revenge. If it returned would she be able to take care of it for good? Why did Kane just stand there? She studied him, ignoring the charming grin he was giving her. “Alright we’ll get out of here! You need to stay close, keep your eyes open and…” She stopped, then looked at him. “Wait a minute… What WERE you thinking back there?” She asked. “First you let yourself get chased into a cave, and then you completely freeze when a wolf threatens!” She folded her arms in front of her chest. “How DID you get to Wind Reach, anyways.” Of course she was upset. How did the roles get reversed? When they first met, he saved her. So, was this just balancing the equation?

As she patiently waited for his answers, she took another arrow in her hand, and held the bow with her other. She knew that she'd have to keep her guard up if she expected to get out of the underground cave unscathed.
Eilea
KAAAAAAAANNNEE!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kane on March 18th, 2013, 7:30 am

For the first time ever, Kane was very happy to have Eilea around. He also had no current plans to run away. This is completely new territory for me. He paused. Also the forest. The forest is new too.

He’d never entered this area of Wind Reach before, especially after hearing the stories. And now he had landed himself in the middle of the place without any idea of how to leave. He was completely lost, and lost was a new thing for him.

Usually, Kane would look over maps and wander around areas to get to know the streets, learning any hidden areas and good escape routes. But he had never sought out the entrance to the underground forest, knowing that if he had, his curiosity would get the better of him and he’d find some excuse to wander in. Now though, he berated himself for not doing so. At least then he’d have known to avoid the place instead of running in and placing himself in even more danger. And he might know the area better.

His only solace came from the fact that he was no longer alone. He glanced around the area once more, catching eyes with Saul as the dog made his way over to sit near his feet. Even at rest, the dog was on alert for any danger, continually scanning the surrounding trees.

Kane smiled. Saul was such a good dog. Even in the face of a foe larger than himself, he’d still done his best to protect him. Kane was closer with Saul then he’d ever been with any animal. He reached out to scratch the dog’s ears.

Suddenly, the Vantha girl was addressing him. What had he been thinking? Well, it consisted of curse words mostly. As she finished her lecture like speech, Kane readied his answer. “Well, I’m not actually much of a fighter, per say. More of a diabolical plan, high thinker kinda person.” Well, most of the time. When he wasn’t distracted. Or throwing boxes at random strangers’ heads. That was a plan. He was somewhat regretting that decision now. And most likely would be again later.

“And as for how I got to Wind Reach, well, that mainly consisted of a clever chain of trickery and makin’ many enemies. Mostly trickery. With a lot of enemies. Well, maybe it’s more like fifty-fifty.” Kane shrugged. His path to Wind Reach was an amazing and incredibly amusing story. He grinned at the thought. “Anyways, you wouldn’t happen to know the way out of here, would you? I’ve never explored this area.”

Kane glanced around once more, looking for anything to differentiate the area from any others that were sure to lay in wait as they explored the forest. “You’re supposed to look for anything that tells one place apart from another right? So you don’t just end up gettin' more lost.”

He continues looking, this time in all directions. “Well this isn’t working. Everything kind of looks the same except maybe that log over there. But that’s a log. And once you’ve seen one log you’ve pretty much seen them all. I mean, a log’s a log, right?” He’d never admit it to anyone else, but he was a bit of a rambler, both in his head and out loud.

“Well, enough about logs, we should probably get going, right? I mean, I’ve heard some pretty bad stories about this place, so it’s probably not a good idea to stay here for too long.”
Kane

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Eilea on March 19th, 2013, 6:32 am

“Trickery?” Eilea repeated. She watched him in disbelief. There was no way she could believe that tale. ‘Trickery? Making enemies? What kind of Tikita… Who have I fallen for?’ And then he asked if she knew the way out. Out of reflex, she rolled her eyes. Sure, she loved him, but this was just ridiculous. “Yes, I’ll get you out of here.” She responded and just raised her eyebrow as he continued talking.

As Kane began talking without much reason about logs, Eilea looked around the area, making note of every possible danger they could run into. For one, they were underground in a cave filled with large bats that can fly, and a very angry wolf that could have run off to get his friends. Secondly, even though Eilea was pretty positive the direction they had entered, she also believed that she may have gotten turned around. And on top of that, the stories about the underground forest that had been told frightened her tremendously.

Something moved out of the corner of her eye. She whipped around and scanned the area, but there was nothing there. Straightening herself, she looked back at Kane. “You need to shut up.” She hissed. “You’re going to draw more attention to us, which we really don’t need.”

Eilea studied the man’s face for a second. ‘Oh well, you lose some, you win some. Of course I’ll stay by him but I really wasn’t expecting to be the fighting one.’ “Stay close.” She ordered, quietly, “And just follow me…” The vantha’s eyes turned a blue-green. The excitement made her heart beat faster, giving her more alertness to the area around them. It was just like how she had traveled before, on her way to Wind Reach. A smile twitched on her lips as she remembered some of her travels. She watched how she stepped, doing her best to avoid many of the mushrooms on the forest floor. There were many slugs and other insects feeding off of some of the growth.

She stopped and realized what exactly allowed them to see in the dark cavern. It was the fungi, the mushrooms, their spores perhaps. It illuminated the darkness! The vantha looked back at Kane, to make sure he was near. She wouldn’t admit it, but they must have gone much further into the cave than she expected. OR… they were heading the wrong way.
As she opened her mouth to say something, there was a loud screech behind her and what sounded like the flapping of wings. Eilea tried to turn but was hit from behind by something half her size. She slid into a tree, landing on her side. As she tried to sit up, the pain in her side stopped her momentarily. She touched it gingerly, to find blood. She swore, looked up towards Kane with worry, and then grabbed her bow, which amazingly hadn’t been damaged. That's when a few problems came to light.

A Problem: Her bag and arrows were over near Kane, several feet away.

A Larger Problem: There were three bats flying excitably around the area.

The Biggest Problem: One was diving towards Kane.
Eilea
KAAAAAAAANNNEE!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kane on March 25th, 2013, 11:19 pm

Kane quieted down. As much as he didn’t enjoy following orders, the situation called or it. This, however, did not stop him from grumbling unhappily as he followed after Eilea, .

Even while in possible danger, Kane was a very curious person. He studied the trees closely, fascinated by them. Like giant trees carved out of rocks. Temptation was mounting, and he wanted so badly to touch them, to run his fingers over the groves in what was previously bark, and to try to learn how it all works.

Kane kept noticing the Vantha glancing back at him, and raised an eyebrow at her. She looked about to speak. Suddenly, a screech resounded through the area and he knew instantly they were in danger.

But there was no time to react.

A huge bat, almost twice his size, slammed into Eilea’s back, knocking her into a nearby tree. Kane flinched back and Saul crouched into attack position. The bat had come within feet of them. He watched as it flew towards the ceiling of the cave, before noticing the two others. Oh great, there are three of them. He had no idea what to do.

A tap on his foot caught his attention, and he found Eilea’s quiver with all her arrows in it resting against his feet. This meant Eilea had no arrows. The situation was now worse.

A second bat swooped down from the others, heading straight towards Kane. Finally, his brain jumped into action. Ducking in an attempt to avoid the monster, he put a plan into action. I have to get those arrows back to What’s-her-face. Kane wasn’t quite fast enough, and clenched his eyes and gritted his teeth as he felt its claws scrape across his shoulder. Saul snapped his teeth at the bat, almost catching it’s leg and causing it to back away.

Ignoring the pain in his shoulder, Kane focused on the quiver at his feet. Hurriedly, he grabbed ahold of it. Time to test my aim again. He threw.

Kane watched as it flew through the air. His aim seemed to have held true. It was going to reach her!

The bats, it seemed, had other plans. One flew straight into the quiver, forcing it off its path. It was sent spinning up onto the branch of one of the petrified trees and hung there. Luckily enough, an arrow had fallen out, landing near Eilea, but a single arrow was not enough to kill three bats, and the rest were in a tree.

Kane backed up to another tree. He didn’t want to leave his back open. Saul, ever loyal, stood between him and the screeching creatures, his teeth bared in a snarl and his bright blue eyes watching for any attacks.

Almost in synchrony, two bats dove together, one flying to bite at Saul, the dog dodging, and one heading for Eilea. Kane could only hope she had taken hold of the arrow and was now ready to fight.
Kane

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Eilea on March 29th, 2013, 3:02 am

OOCYou said you wanted Eilea to help Kane... :3

Horror crossed her eyes as she watched the bat's claws scrape across Kane's shoulder. “No!” She nearly screamed in outrage, completely forgetting about her own problems. There was no way her self-proclaimed fiance was going to get eaten by a giant bat. Not on her watch. Eilea got to her knees and watched, studying the situation. Kane seemed to be okay, for the most part at least. He hadn't collapsed. His dog was protecting him, that was good at least. Kane managed to throw her bag towards her, but with the luck they had, it got caught in a branch in the tree. She looked up, her eyes wide. “Crap!” A single arrow fell from the bag and landed on the ground near her.

There was movement from above.

A bat.

Instinctively she knew one was heading towards Kane as well, but for the time being, she had to deal with her own problems. Kane had to be able to take care of himself, there's no way he would have made it to Wind Reach if that wasn't the case. In her heart, she trusted he would be okay. All she had to do was make sure she was as well. All she had was one arrow and she had to make it worth while. Her eyes changed colors once more. This is it!

With no hesitation, Eilea grabbed the arrow and turned to face the bat flying her direction. “No!” She cried out a scream as she pulled the arrow against the string of the bow. She had to take aim quickly. There was no time to think, no time to over guess.

She released the arrow.

It hit the bat in the side, where the wing connected to its body. The creature let out a cry and then crumbled to the ground. Eilea knew she needed to gather her arrows. There were three arrows she had used so far. The one in the bat, she could possibly retrieve. The one in the wolf, she couldn't. But the one that missed the wolf, she could. It was just the matter of getting back to that area. Why didn't I think of that before?! With a frown, she glanced to Kane, figuring he was alright fending his own bat off, she looked up to her bag that hung from a branch in the tree.

There was a loud shriek. Eilea was pulled away from her thoughts. She couldn't help herself, she needed to help Kane. He was her priority. He needed her help. The Vantha moved quickly to the fallen bat. She yanked the arrow out of it's shoulder, using her foot as a counter weight. The arrow wasn't in the best of shape, but then again, neither was bat. It let out a grunting noise. Eilea narrowed her eyes. She couldn't leave the large bat in agony. But how to...? Her thoughts were broken again as there was another shriek. Eilea looked up again. The bat that was attacking Kane, continued taking deep dives towards him and his dog. And in Eilea's eyes, he had no idea what to do. His dog, luckily, was helping keep the bat away. But how long would that last? Eilea looked up to her bag again.

Luckily, it was only a bit above reach. I guess its time to climb. I gotta go fast! She set her short bow against the trunk and sighed. This is more than I asked for.

Her side throbbed as she carefully, yet quickly climbed from the truck to the lowest branch. If the tree hadn't been petrified, the branches wouldn't be able to hold her weight. She moved carefully, slowly, trying to to strain herself too much but eventually took hold of the bag. Instead of throwing it over her shoulder, she dropped it to the ground, near her bow. With a deep breath she held the branch carefully and then lowered herself down. Tears built in her eyes as her side sent sheering pains through out her body.

It really hurt.

She picked up her bow, and grabbed another arrow. “Get down, Lover!” She yelled in common as she took aim. The bat took another dive and Eilea released the arrow.

She took a deep breath and then lowered her bow as she watched. The arrow went through the bat's wing and lodged itself into the ground. The bat flew off, awkwardly, but still out of sight. And then her eyes turned pitch black.

“Why would you run in here?” Her tone was reprimanding. She wasn't happy with him... she wasn't happy with him at all. “I mean, what am I supposed to do with you?!” With a roll of the eyes, sshe took a few steps towards him. “You are a child, Tikita!” The Vantha She switched into speaking Vani, completely on purpose. “Goodness, I love you, but you're insane. It's like you're just trying to get yourself in trouble. I'd be embarrassed to bring you to Avanthal to meet my family. I guess I'll just have to teach you to fight. Or something along those lines. Ahhhgggh!” She let out a growl and then grabbed his arm, completely ignoring his dog's disagreements. “Come on!” She spoke in Nari, knowing the little that she did. “We. Now. Go.” Considering Wind Reach was now their home, trying to adapt to the local language would be so much better that completely ignoring it.
Eilea
KAAAAAAAANNNEE!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kane on April 7th, 2013, 7:28 am

Kane watched as his dog struggled to keep the bat at bay. Saul was a very brave dog, tough too, but the situation was beginning to get worrisome. Well, not beginning. This whole situation has sucked for a while now. And it needs to be resolved. Soon. With this in mind, Kane began to wrack his brain for a solution.

How could he fight off the bats? He wasn’t a strong fighter, in fact, he wasn’t much of a fighter at all. He cringed at any sword presented to him, whether it was aimed at him or not. Saul had usually provided a good amount of protection, but the bat was too fast and swift for him. And dangerous. Kane didn’t want his dog getting anywhere near those sharp teeth. He’d heard the stories.

Perhaps... perhaps there was another way? Eyris knows that if anyone was able to find an unorthodox solution, it would be Kane. Straightforward thinking needed to be thrown out the window. A more round-about path would be taken. Kane started at the basics.

Okay, so, this thing’s a bat. So, what’s special about bats... Aren’t they blind? Kane thought about this for a second. Then they use their other senses to see. I’ve heard about them smelling people to locate them... But that doesn’t help me here! Wait! He remembered an odd tidbit of information he’d heard on his travels. I think they use sound too! They have very acute hearing or something. Well, most bats do. The smaller kind do.

He had an idea, one that could either end very well, or very badly. He was hoping for very well. Let’s hope big bats work the same way... I mean, they are bats too, right?

Putting all his trust in his reasoning, he waited for the bat to swoop closer before raising his fingers to his mouth and whistling. Loudly.

The bat reacted immediately, shrieking in pain from the loud noise assaulting its ears. Perhaps this frightened it, or perhaps it was just tired of fighting for a meal, but it turned tail and flew off into the forest.

Victory! For a moment. The final bat that had been surveying the area was more agitated than frightened by his whistle. It chose this time to attack, and it dove straight for Kane. This will most likely end badly And it would have, if not for a single arrow.

It shot through the bat's wing, cutting off the attack and finally, the final bat was frightened away. Triumph was theirs. Yeah, take that.

Then, the lecturing began. Many of the words were in a language that he didn’t understand, but the tone was loud and clear, and not one he liked. Kane rolled his eyes at her. Wow, really? You know, I’ve changed my mind. I really don’t like her. And I almost did there for a minute too. His best glare was fixed on her. “Wow, way to lecture me in an indistinguishable language. That’s smart.” He switched to Nari, and spoke with sarcasm dripping from his words. “Also your Nari is horrible. You may want to work on that.” He switched back to Common. There was no point in speaking Nari with someone who barely understands it, not in his mind. “Word of warning, you may want to let go of my arm. You see, my dog here,” he gestures to his dog, who was growling loudly at her, “doesn’t enjoy when people manhandle me. It would be just horrible if he bit you.” Saul flashed his teeth and Kane yanked his arm away from her.

Bad idea. Pain shot from his shoulder causing him to cringe. “Ouch.” He raised a hand to his shoulder. It hurt, but it didn’t seem too bad of an injury. He’d live. If I can ever get out of this cave that is. As much as it killed him to admit, the annoying girl was right. They wanted to get out of this forest as soon as possible.

With a sigh, he began to move in the same direction they had been heading in earlier. “C’mon, let’s get out of here. This place creeps me out.”

As they traveled, Kane focused on studying the surrounding area. There might be a landmark or something that he would recognize. So far, he’d had little luck. Everything all looked the same! The trees looked the same, the mushrooms looked the same, the walls looked the same, the-wait, hadn’t he seen that log earlier?

Attention piqued, Kane jogged over to it. He’d seen the structure before, it was slightly collapsed on one end, and there were three mushrooms growing on the other right next to where a branch was sticking out. He’d seen this before! And the only time he possibly could have caught sight of this was on his way in!

Excited, Kane turned to the Vantha girl. “Hey! I recognize this log, I’m pretty sure I saw it on my way in!” He spent a lot of time pointing at it. “This means that we must be going the right way to get out of here!”

Things were starting to look up.
Last edited by Kane on June 13th, 2013, 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kane

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Eilea on April 8th, 2013, 1:54 am

“Then help me work on it you idiot!” Eilea shouted at the man as he insulted her ability to speak Nari. “I'm obviously TRYING to adapt to the culture here and it would be a lot easier if the person I cared most for and would do ANYTHING for wouldn't get himself into trouble! I'm surprised you aren't dead yet! And I think you have me to thank, today!” After he pulled his arm away and let out a sound of pain, the Vantha just stood there. Of course she felt bad, and wanted to make him feel better but he was a selfish brat.

And after everything she had done for him...

After Kane spoke of his dog, Eilea looked down at the animal. She aimed an arrow at it and shook her head once, giving the poor creature a warning. If he tried anything, he would regret it. Her nice act toward Kane, and his dog, and really anything that was his, was over. She was insulted.

No, not insulted. Angry.

She had gone out of her way to help him. And that was how he was going to treat her? Well, he had a big surprise waiting for him. Next time they ran into a bad situation, she wasn't going to go out of her way to help him, she would only defend herself.

With a smirk, and deep, hallow, poisonous, charcoal black eyes, Eilea followed Kane as he walked. She stayed several paces behind him with an arrow strung against her bow and she moved, aiming high and low at anything that stood out. An oddly twisted petrified branch, a mushroom that didn't look like a mushroom, and a few overly large slugs that crept about.

Kane stopped suddenly. Eilea kept her distance from him. She tiled her head to the side listening, as he started rambling about a log. The Vantha looked around carefully, letting him obsess as she made note of anything else particular around the area. She made note that

When he proclaimed that he had seen the log on the way in, Eilea raised an eyebrow. 'Oh really... As you were being chased into this underground forest, you stopped to notice a log? Truth be told, there were many logs. The glanced around. Sure, the place did look familiar, but Eilea couldn't be sure. She figured he was just trying to So you know the way out?' She gave him a knowing, yet skeptical look, but kept her mouth shut. There was no way she was going to take another stab from him for anything she said.

But he just kept paying attention to the log. The Vantha girl let out a sigh. After tapping her foot for some time, she moved closer to him, aiming her arrow at the dog the whole time. “Kane?” Her voice was sharp. “Which way do you think we should go?” She wasn't up for any chit chat at this point. Her only goal was to get herself out of the forest. Once Kane gave the direction, Eilea turned to it. “I'll take lead.” She said and began walking.

And walking.

And some more walking.

After a while, Eilea stopped dead in her tracks. To the side of her was a drop off. She moved close to the edge, enough to look down. It was dark, obviously deep. A thumping sound echoed from below. The girl swallowed down the taste of panic and took a step back, away from the edge. 'There's something down there?' They definitely were not heading the right way. This was something she'd remember. Not to mention time wise... it just didn't add up. 'Unless we're going in circles. She turned on her toes to face Kane. “This isn't right.” She said quietly, plainly, her eyes had dulled to a green, but they still had flakes of black in them. “I think we went the wrong way, we should probably head back, completely retrace our steps.” She refused to make eye contact as she flipped from Common to Nari once again. “What say you?” As much as she loved him, he had acted quite rude towards her. There was no way she was going to let that go, at least no time soon. She had only helped him out. She hadn't put him in any danger, that he got into himself.

Eilea
KAAAAAAAANNNEE!

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Next