Almost Dead (Miro)

Animation and Flattery

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

An undead citadel created before the cataclysm, Sahova is devoted to all kinds of magical research. The living may visit the island, if they are willing to obey its rules. [Lore]

Almost Dead (Miro)

Postby Thomas Cosa on March 22nd, 2013, 8:19 pm

22nd of Spring

Thomas muttered incoherently as he passed through the labyrinth of books, eyes searching each title hungrily, hoping for something that would catch his eye.

The young pulser could claim two seasons survived on the undead Citadel, and the third was quickly passing. He had survived disease, torture, and humiliation, all of which he had only expected. His pride and his dignity had been his price, his bargaining tool, and Thomas had paid in full.

But Sahova still had yet to satisfy it's own debt to the pulser, at least in his mind.

Struggling with the ancient tongue, Thomas slowed with each passing title, second guessing his own translations, and yet still hoping to find something new, something worth his talent.

The Great Library held the knowledge of the great Alhean empire, and there was no doubt in the pulser's mind he would find something incredibly useful.

Last edited by Thomas Cosa on May 4th, 2013, 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thomas Cosa
What if no one could stop you?

Thomas Cosa
bratty mageling

Words: 385707
Joined roleplay: October 20th, 2012, 9:33 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Overlored (1)

Almost Dead (Miro)

Postby Miro on March 28th, 2013, 5:39 am

Miro entered the Great Library for the first time in over a season. His first arrival inspired immediate awe followed by heart crushing disappointment. So many books, almost none of them in common. But as an undead, he was immortal, and lacking the language of immortals was unacceptable. It was not until recently he had a thought, and arrived seeking the answer to this problem. He approached the nearest Category Golem and got its attention. "Golem, I require assistance. Seek me out a book, a Common Tongue-Ancient Tongue dictionary. A book that would allow someone who knows Common to learn Ancient Tongue, to be lent to Miro."

The automata went off to find his book, and that meant he had some time to look around. There were books, yet as of now were meaningless to him. There were areas where one could sit and read, but that was boring. But, there was a person at a table, maybe not so boring. Situations like breaking the ice with a person required a delicate touch, but luckily breaking ice was a speacialty of Ice Reavers. He had an affinity for people, they trusted and respected him, yet always expected so much.

Miro walked over to the table and pulled the chair out opposite the man. He took a seat and propped his feet on the table, of course only using his half. "These automata are something, huh? I just give them my order and they do it. Never have I seen such amazing works of Animation." Miro kicked his feet to the ground and leaned in across the table a bit. "So, wha brings you to the island? Here in the library studying, I'll bet you're a world wizard." The wizard smirked to himself. "Nailed it."
Miro
Not quite Nuit, just a little undead.

Words: 1238727
Joined roleplay: May 15th, 2011, 7:52 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Almost Dead (Miro)

Postby Thomas Cosa on April 6th, 2013, 3:03 am

"Are you surprised? Sahova is renowned for it's animations," Thomas replied, his eyes watching as the lanky figure approached. Milky white skin, dry and gaunt, in sharp contrast to the shoulder length hair, black and thin; eyes dulled grey, flickering with red. The young animator noticed the the elongated canines, and sharp nails -- sharp to the point of being claws, and a single word rang out in the animator's mind.

Symenstra

While Thomas himself bore no ill will against the spidery race, the rumors and suspicions of the widows reached his ears all the same.

"The same that brought you, I'd imagine," Thomas answered, his voice dry, and hardly above a whisper. If anything, Sahova had taught the mage to guard himself and keep his knowledge to himself, a wizard would always be friendly -- at first. Manipulative, and self-serving, mages would be only nice until they got whatever they were looking for, and then they stopped being so friendly.

"Perhaps, but most wizards on the isle can at least claim glyphing," he shrugged in response to what he assumed to be a lucky guess, "And what of you, stranger? WOuld you tell me how you come to find yourself on the undead isle, or at least, your name?"

Thomas Cosa

Thomas Cosa
bratty mageling

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Almost Dead (Miro)

Postby Miro on April 9th, 2013, 6:39 am

Miro laughed at the man's reply. He was certainly something. "Oh, I am Miro. A pleasure. As for what brings me here, well that is simple. It may sound lame, but fate lured me to this place. I did not aim to end up here, yet I have found every reason to stay. At first I thought the isle would teach me something on Reimancy, but the ol' bastard who fancies himself a master is hardly worth my time. His knowledge is fair enough, though he doesn't teach. He could however be more skilled. Being crammed into a lab for centuries to rot hasn't done him any good at all." The undead heaved a disappointed sigh and brushed his hair back out of his face.

His Irylid sealed icy bracelet appeared in his mind. He spoke in a sly tone, as if he was equal parts entertained and curious. "You are already fond of this one, are you not? A wizard who shrouds himself in a paper-thin veil of mystery. It is obvious, he is probing you for info to put his mind at ease. I find this rather cute, so please, do entertain us. Give him what he seeks." The undead waggled his brow and a smirk crept onto his face. "Anymore I am just seeking to further my knowledge of magic. Even Sahova is a dead end on furthering my Reimancy, but that is no issue."

The wizard laughed to himself. "Forgive the pun, please." His countenance grew grim to counter his slight of acting silly. "I am a professional wizard, and always am I seeking out my next advancement. I am also an accomplished Flux wizard, and on that front there is progress to be made. Though, in the way of personal magic, often enough, progress means field work. Ya know, striving to advance through trial usage. Often I spend my time on the testing grounds training." The wizard looked into this stranger's eyes and focused Djed into the gaze. An emotional response of trust was pushed his way in a continuous stream.

The Hypnotist adjusted his sitting position to something slightly more proper and open. He crossed his legs and leaned back with his hands rested in lap. "What I hope to find is a trade magic. I too am versed in Glyphing, but it is a simple magic. And it too best tested on the field. Apart from that, I have but my pathetic childhood lessons on Animation. I would attempt to fall back onto them, but I have no means to practice without a lab. Of course nobody is ever interested in helping a novice to learn the ropes. I am not going to be tested on so I might possibly pick up a few tricks." Miro broke his spellbinding gaze to shrug and grasped his forehead for a moment, as if slightly flustered.

"Good, break away his doubts, see what he will yield. Even from what a person doesn't say, one can learn so much." Just then the Category Golem arrived with book in hand. "Your book, Miro. 'Ancient Tongue-Common Tongue Dictionary'. This is your only book on rental. Its current condition has been recorded. The undead rose form his seat to take the book and bowed his head in acknowledgement. "Thank you, that will be all." He looked the small book over and returned to his seat. "I came here today so that I might get this here book. I need to learn the Ancient Tongue so that I might make us of this library and teach myself something. Though, I am a ways away from that, huh?"

"Yeah Ender, I like this one. I'll get through to him, just watch. At any rate, it looks like we have a long peaceful night of studying ahead of us. Should be a great chance for you to enjoy some quiet time and relax. And if I learn to read these books, it might just become habit."
Miro

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Almost Dead (Miro)

Postby Thomas Cosa on April 21st, 2013, 2:37 am

"Miro," Thomas repeated, examining the self-named 'professional wizard' with a mixture of disbelief and interest. "Maelstrom, you mean," he offered, his voice crackingg as Djed pulsed and bubbled, slowly leaking out of every pore, Thomas' senses intesified.

The world around the young mage exploded in intensity, everything being more real than before. Slowly, breathing, Thomas pulled and focused his Djed around Miro, and his aura began to form. A wave of power rolled over the mage, pulsating around him. It roared like a ocean storm, crackling and biting at his skin like a forest fire. Miro's aura shone like a sun, the sheer power blinding Thomas, forcing him to look away.

Thomas released his Djed, his body sweaty and tiredd from the effort.

"Flux as well?" he breathed, blinking profusley, burn of Miro's aura staining his vision.

"I know animation," he confessed, slumping over the translation book, breezing througgh the easier sentences. "Why was I so suspicious before?" he thought, looking up at the spider, "He's alive, and that alone shows I could trust him over any nuit."

"Perhaps, we could arrange something?" he asked, turning back towards the translation book.

Thomas Cosa

Thomas Cosa
bratty mageling

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Almost Dead (Miro)

Postby Miro on April 22nd, 2013, 4:48 am

Miro smirked at the mutterings of this wizard. "Yeah, Malestrom, the proclaimed master." The Reimancer scoffed. "Showed me nothing but disappointment." Then as he looked over this man before him, he noted him acting weird. He was focusing on something, maybe magic, maybe the greatness that was Miro. The undead could not help but to raise an eyebrow. Sweat and fatigue built upon the man, maybe some sort of panic attack. To be in the presence of a wizard so accomplished could indeed be overwhelming.

But, there was hardly any reason to be concerned. Already his mind was decided, and now it seemed this man had made his up too. What luck, he was a practitioner of Animation. The Chained One's face lit with excitement. Wild thoughts raced through his head. "No way! An Animator, a real Animator. No, not a real Animator, a Sahovan Animator. That's the best kind." He stood and bowed deeply to the man. "Oh my, I had no idea. An Animator, the most noble of world wizards. They possess patience and intellect beyond all others, and their craft bestows the gift of new life upon the world."

Miro rose up from his bow and held a serious look on his face. "Arrange something we must. I would be honored if you could assist me in Animation. I swear, I am an excellent student, very quick to learn. The basics, they are already etched into my soul." He focused his Djed to his voice and added a humble tone to his words. Woven into the tone was an emotional response, one of comfort and ease. "May I ask your name?" He started, but then he hesitated, his face scrunched with dissatisfaction. Another spell was prepared in his throat, a suggestion. But as he spoke his voice was hoarse. "I-er," He coughed, something he hadn't done in some time. "I would even call you master, if you would will it. Truly it would be my honor."

The wizard's expression remained grim as he spoke all of this. There would be no sign of any deceit or insincerity in the words, perhaps besides the over the top manner they were presented. Animators in his mind were heroes among wizards. Wizards of course being people already beyond the restrictions of the mundane who achieved greatness. For years he had mused over the thought of his father, a man he never met yet practically worshiped. He was an accomplished Animator, a powerful wizard, as he had been told. The grandeur of a childish mind elevated the status of all wizards of a like vocation.

Ender knew only a little of this, but enough of social interaction to see how ridiculous his master had just acted. Being in a city, his master was always concerned with his own business, but the Irylid saw everything around them. "What the hell was that? Are you trying to bed the man? Before you even know his name, you offer to call him master? Well, if he does not run for the door in fear, then I'll be surprised. Do not be alarmed if his hand ends up down your pants. Nobody acts like that without having something in mind. Only you Miro, my dear master, only you could truly be awestruck by this. Just promise me when he runs that you won't chase him. He may try to defend himself. But however if he makes a move on you, I say go for it." The Reimancer's expression turned somewhat alarmed, fearful of what would happen next.
Miro

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Almost Dead (Miro)

Postby Thomas Cosa on May 1st, 2013, 7:15 pm

"Your honor?" Thomas repeated, the words flowed naturally from his mouth, although his expression was confused.

Before Sahova, Thomas had believed himself the world. He, alone, had earned the attention of a goddess, for acts yet unaccomplished. He had passed his mediocre masters, his hunger for greatness pushing him to extremes. He had spent a childhood in self-fascination, wrapped in compliments. The moment his father's pride had turned to hate, Thomas knew it for what it was, and openly named it jealousy before running to the white isle.

Years spent on Mura only furthered his self-confidence, but the two seasons on Sahova had destroyed his pride, his self-worth.

The Thomas before Sahova would've have left, seeing straight through the blantant flattery.

The Thomas of Sahova only wanted more.

"I wouldn't call animation in itself noble," Thomas began, "But it is a far more engaging magic than anything I know of," he shrugged, feeling more comfortable around the stranger than anyone he had met so far on Sahova. "What other magic allows the possibility to instill life? To mimic the gods?"

"Yes, I will teach you -- in exchange for some lessons of my own. Flux," he added, getting up from his chair.

"If you agree we'll proceed straight to Lab 15," Thomas smiled, waiting for a response.

Thomas Cosa

Thomas Cosa
bratty mageling

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Almost Dead (Miro)

Postby Miro on May 4th, 2013, 7:53 am

Miro listened well to all that was said, though it was not especially rich conversation. He kept a pleasant smile, an inviting look, understanding even. Though, in his eyes there was something more, magic. A suggestion, a trickle into the subconscious of the man across from him. "Miro is looking to be impressed." All the while he had a certain thought in his head. His mind was abuzz with a great many things, but more than that his heart wrenched. The insatiable urge to feed his cravings settled into his mind. Power and dominance, to hold those uppity few who would stand against him under his paw at his amusement. When the issue to give lessons on the Flux arose, an amused look overtook his face, and he was indeed amused.

It was rare for any to express interest in his knowledge of Flux, but even more rare for one to act so arrogant and rude. Miro issued his name, did not receive an answer, but of course he was not owed one. Then a name was asked, and again ignored, but this time, he was indeed owed that much. A quick lesson on the Flux was easy, but the wizard was not about quick lessons. He only put the utmost care into his work, and did indeed intend to receive equal payout. But as for his interest in the insolent man's knowledge of Animation, that had faded since. Luckily for him, there was no contempt, just loss of interest, and the gain of a new much more involved interest. Again the Hypnotist prepared a spell, a pair, and knitted them keenly to his words. First the response, then the suggestion.

The Chained One focused deeply on the feeling of pride in his chest, and carried it to inspire with his voice. "I accept, of course, for you are quite the compelling fellow." He paused, gathering his Djed into his voice for the suggestion, "Give Miro reason to be impressed," was the order, and as he delivered the words, he spoke with a bit of wisdom in tone. "The Flux is not like Reimancy, in which one can be initiated by some ritual." He cut the flow of Djed to his voice. "Instead, it is the result of an understanding, a discipline of mind and body. In most formal teachings, it would require a great deal of strict physical and mental training. But in the hands of an accomplished professional wizard, one who specializes in such, this can be accelerated."

Again, seemingly addicted to the domineering in his life, another emotional response was prepared in the wizard's throat. This one, a longing for trust. Unlike the other spells, this was one sustained, pushed to have lasting effect on the victim's mind. "It is quite a bit of work, but I can manage this. Though it does take some time, ya know, to prepare and explain everything." For now he had to rest his body and regain some composure, but the conditioning would not be over. He hadn't his fill quite yet and would only need a moment to rest. "There is a certain technique I developed, and with a full explanation into Flux mechanics, route to discovery, it leads to a quicker and more full understanding of the magic."

Ender on the other hand could see more than your average Pulser. He had been with his partner long enough not only to pick apart the relation of his facial expression to emotional state, but to actually get a vague sense of his emotions. In this instance, an unusual jolt of bliss, as if his master were split between reality and his own mind. Frolicking in the surely hellish landscape that was his "happy place", where all sorts of overgiving begotten fantasies lived. The Irylid could never deny the temptation to ask permission to enter such a wasteland, so full of vile, once happy, thoughts. "Something has gotten you going now, doesn't it? The only time any person has given you such a pleased look was the last time you murdered. And if that is the case, I hate to say it, given that I liked this one, but might I have the honor? At least just a little torture, a chance to inflict some damage, something? I mean, I am only asking this as a formality, but, your permission would make it so much sweeter for me."

To these pleas, only silence, but not quite an ignoring. The Familiar caught his master's glace dropping to him, and even if only slightly, if only for a second, his smirk grew. Somewhere deep in him, he felt the satisfaction Miro got in hearing these words. This was all that was needed to know, if ever it did come to murder, torture, bringing misery, his partner would surely have some part. Ender was hopeful he would get a star role, be evaluated and coached by his ever so wise wizard companion. To pass the baton of agony bringing, and some day that they would pass it back and forth. Become a team, and to bring pain to all that wronged them. For his dear master to take his emotional whims as orders, and for them to derive equal enjoyment from acts that would please on individual.

The wizard had already rose from his seat with book and hand and quickly made an advance in front of his new companion. He went for the door and held it quite graciously. All the while he maintained the pleasant aura about him. The trip to the Lab 15 was eagerly welcomed. "Please, lead the way, sir." And a final emotional response was brought to the threshold of casting deep within his throat. One of compliance, a minor nudge of willingness. "Oh yeah, what I was getting at. Since my lesson takes so much time, I was going to insist on beginning with that. I am very eager for your insight into Animation, of course, but since you insist on learning my profession, I should take care in presenting it. I already know much on Animation, but I am assuming you know little on the Flux. So please, once you are satisfied with my gift to you, we can begin on your lesson for me. I am hoping that the quality of what I present will inspire something truly brilliant in you."

Miro laughed internally for his partner to hear before speaking. "The rush of domineering a foolish mind with Hypnotism is absolute bliss. I have some new way for him to please me, and it is definitely not to teach Animation. Those brazen enough to piss on my fire will find themselves subject to a most unsatisfying burn."
Miro

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Almost Dead (Miro)

Postby Thomas Cosa on May 5th, 2013, 3:18 am

"Compelling?" Thomas repeated, smiling. "I shouldn't be so surprised," he started, "I've never had much trouble getting what I've wanted," he bragged, smugly, "Even here," Thomas mused, "I was picked up as an apprentice immediately, though, I suppose coming to Sahova alone stands as testament to my talent," he shrugged, "I doubt they would've let me inside the citadel if I hadn't been worth something, right?" he nodded to himself, a proud smile stretching his starved features.

"No?" Thomas asked, "I don't have much experience with personal magics, auristics mostly, but that didn't require an initiation either," he paused, thinking, "I learn fast, but wouldn't knowing another personal magic speed up the whole process even more?" he asked, watching the spider's face.

The young animator couldn't help but feel confident -- he could do this. "I'm a wizard of Sahova -- there shouldn't be any reason I shouldn't be able to learn this, master it," he thought, smugly. "It'll be work though, lots of practice," he reminded himself, "But it'll be something I can handle."

Thomas felt a need to connect with Miro, a sense to build trust -- something he dismissed. Had he not said how grateful he was to meet an animator? How it would be his honor to be taught be someone like Thomas? That he would call him Master?

Thomas wouldn't need trust -- they would be on his home turf, in his Lab. The Masters, not even Cid would let something happen to one of their apprentices. Miro might be a reimancy master, but Thomas doubted the spider would survive the onslaught of every golem in the Lab.

Besides, Thomas trusted Miro as much as he needed to -- he trusted him enough to teach him Flux, anyway.

"Absolutely," he nodded, pushing himself off the chair. "There will be enough room down in the cavern, trust me," he winked obnoxiously, before turning around, swaggering out of the Library.

"My name's Thomas by the way," Thomas offered, remembering himself, "I'm from Syliras," he added, hoping Miro would offer his home town. While the master reimancer seemed like a spider, he didn't exactly matched the symenstra slave he had seen earlier -- Miro's features were softer, his eyes smaller and darker.

The duo slowly made their way down the empty corridor, their steps echoing around them. Doors would open without provocation, sensing their approach. As the made their way deeper into the citadel, approaching the caverns, the stone became more unruly, uneven. The darkened hallways lightened only by glowing arrows.

The sounds of tinkering, hammers hitting metal, squeaking wheels, all and more echoed around them as they approached the cavern lab. Two gigantic doors stood ajar, revealing the lab in it's entirety.

Walking on to the balcony that wrapped around the entire lab, a spiraling staircase leading down to the main floor. Tables littered with gadgets and unfinished golems scattered the lab, pulser apprentices and slaves hurrying about their work. Golems were being tested, some being animated at that moment.

"This," Thomas announced, his arms waved back dramatically, "Is Lab 15, golem building center of Sahova."

"Anything you want to see before we begin?"

Thomas Cosa

Thomas Cosa
bratty mageling

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Almost Dead (Miro)

Postby Miro on May 5th, 2013, 5:03 am

Miro was somewhat pleased to see he could make the guy perk up with such pride. The slouch held seemed to be removed from his back, and in its place was a puff in his little chest. And he did mean little. The scrawny wizard, this Thomas was, as he had introduced himself. It reminded the Chained One of his days in Alvadas, though this one did not look as if he had done much physical labor in his life. But it was good to hear he was quite bright. This Syliran kid was something, and just had this way about him that perked up the Reimancer as well. After his introduction, he prepared a spell, and a suggestion, a nudge, and it would be given with a nudge. A sly tone in his voice that said he was joking and thought he was so terribly funny.

He gave a big grin upon the actual introduction, and returned pleasantry in kind. "Very nice to meet you, Thomas from Syliras. A pleasure, really." The Hypnotist gave a kind nod and prepared his voice to cast. In his voice, that sly "just kidding" tone, and a gesture to prove his jest. He jabbed Thomas in the side gently with his lanky elbow as he spoke. The suggestion, "Miro just wants to get to know me a bit," spliced into the silly tone. Miro spoke the incantation in the form of a joke. "I like to know the name of my victims, if you know what I mean." And he snickered afterwards. "I myself am from Taldera, though not quite a city. Wild boy at first, but then I drifted from city to city with my friend Kinneas. I settled into Alvadas for a while, so I guess you could say that is my home. It is in my heart at least. Recently however I crossed over this way. I even passed through Syliras, lovely city that it is. Kind of crowded for my tastes though."

As they walked Ender gave him company in the form of typical conversation. "What is on your mind Ender? I sure am getting some strange vibes from you." The icy companion let out a murmur of a chuckle. "I am just remembering some of the greater moments you have had. Some of the most glorious of your kills. I have gotten quite familiar with the internal structures of humans thanks to you. Your Flux can create some terrible wounds. They always look painful. Even things like, how they react to burns from fire, lightning, and my favorite, the reaction your lava produces. It is all very interesting to me. Some of the most magnificent in display however are the ice, for that is where true art comes in. Shaping some elaborate death and guiding it true. I believe that I too have this artistic touch, inherited or learned, if not by my own nature. Lucky I am to have mastery of the element to prove my craft." And the peering glace was once again sent down to the Familiar. "Oh, there is no doubt there. You have the touch, my dear partner, indeed so. I am trusting you to carry the legacy for me, as I was once exclusively reliant on ice to deal with my issues. You will make me proud, expand on my work, and maybe even learn a thing or two about the original style developed by yours truly."

And the duo managed to dive deeper and deeper into the halls, but there was something coming towards them the closer they came. Noise of workers hard at it, like the busy docks of Zeltiva. What was this Lab 15 where Thomas worked? Then they came upon it, and as magnificent a sight it was, the clatter was all too much. The happy look on Miro's face turned despairingly into a frown. He could not help but to cover his ears and refused to step from the bottom of the stairs. He called out to Thomas, his voice like a whimper, though a shouted one. "What is this place? So many people, so much going on, so much noise. I don't like it here Thomas, this won't do. I thought you had a lab to yourself, some place we could focus on our work. No, this won't do at all." He removed his hands from his ears and winced in agony. To have so many sounds in the air, it rattled his very sound thought process. He didn't like to see so much hustle and bustle, let alone to hear it. He already did not like the idea of being confined to a lab, but at least Mienskil's had left a good impression. Closed off, secure, like one's own little world.

In desperation, the wizard drew his Djed Flux from the drums of his ears and into his vocal cords, simultaneously deafening him and strengthening his voice. He prepared another Hypnotism spell and presented it, fearing the number of casts his voice could tolerate still were few. Both the words spoken and the suggestion were the same. "We need to leave. This place is too busy for me to teach, and my lessons are not for everybody to hear. The Flux requires a calm, open environment. This place is loud and cluttered. I can't think straight with so much excitement about. When it is time to practice Animation, we can return here, but I can not teach in such an atmosphere. My lessons are very special, and I can not stress enough that I need peace to prepare them. Anywhere but here, please." And with his speaking complete, he returned his Djed Flux to a still and returned his hearing. In one last act of desperate bargaining, the Hypnotist gathered Djed to his face, his eyes, behind his pathetically shaken stare. The look on his face would evoke an emotional response of sympathy. Hopefully enough to tilt things in his favor.
Miro

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next