Family Secrets [Kashik]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Wilderness of Cyphrus is an endless sea of tall grass that rolls just like the oceans themselves. Geysers kiss the sky with their steamy breath, and mysterious craters create microworlds all their own. But above all danger lives here in the tall grass in the form of fierce wild creatures; elegant serpents that swim through the land like whales through the ocean and fierce packs of glassbeaks that hunt in packs which are only kept at bay by fires. Traverse it carefully, with a guide if possible, for those that venture alone endanger themselves in countless ways.

Family Secrets [Kashik]

Postby Vanator on June 21st, 2010, 3:56 pm

Timestamp 10th of Summer, 510 AV
Location: Somewhere in the Sea of Grass, 4 days from Riverfall

It had been an incredible relief to get out of Endrykas. Vanator loved the open grassland, and to be able to escape into it with Kashik had done wonders in lifting the haunting of recent traumatic experiences, not the least of which was his parting with Pygmy....now Dhanya.

Van and Kashik had passed the days in conversations ranging from light banter to sharp taunting to pavilion politics. When tired of riding, they would rest, spar with their weapons, or make a quick hunt for small game. Sometimes, they simply rode in a comfortable silence. At night, countless leagues from any sentient creature, the amorous couple would indulge in each other, uninhibited in their enjoyment of their marital union.

On this particular day, the conversation had lulled. Van had lost himself to his own thoughts, reflecting on his new life, and the anticipation of seeing Kavala again. He eventually turned to look at Kashik. "You never really told me what you and Kavala had talked about." It was true, with the whirlwind romance and the race to get out of town, they really did not get a chance to talk about it. Only now, many days later, had he realized the oversight. Kashik had never really volunteered to talk about it either, and that was not like her.
Vanator
There is fire shut up in my bones.

Words: 940033
Joined roleplay: January 8th, 2010, 1:16 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Family Secrets [Kashik]

Postby Kashik on June 22nd, 2010, 12:00 pm

Kashik had never been so happy - and that was saying a lot for this joyous, bubbly woman. Every day spent with Vanator was something new, better than the day before, and it was shocking just how quickly the entirety of her life became intertwined with his. She'd always thought she'd find the less amorous responsibilities of a wife too boring to really be very good at them, but even such simple tasks as cleaning up their camp or setting out the evening meal were somehow enjoyable because she was doing them for him.

But this night, as they sat around the fire and relaxed with full bellies, Kashik heard her husband's question and sighed a little. She hadn't been avoiding the subject exactly, but she certainly hadn't wanted to bring it up again. When he'd first asked her, before they'd made the decision to marry, it had seemed like Denusk business and none of hers - but she was Kashik Denusk of the Sapphire Clan now, and this her family too.

"I think much has changed since you last spoke with her," she said, glancing up from the fire to meet Van's gaze, and there was almost an apology there. "She... she wasn't very pleasant to me. I gave her your letter, and she seemed to take that as some indication that I wanted something from her, that there was some plot involved. And she went on and on about some family curse, and the mere mention of it seemed to set her off." She sighed, and shook her head a little as she poked at one of the branches sticking out of the fire. "I went there simply to drop off your letter and see if perhaps we could be friends, and she threw your Pavilion's entire history at me, every awful thing that's ever happened to any of you, and acted as if I were a bad person for not already knowing it." Which hadn't made any sense to her, since at that point she and Vanator had spent less than a full day together in Endrykas - though it was a day that'd changed their lives, one certainly couldn't expect Kashik to know all the intimate, sordid details of Vanator's life after so short a time.

"And then she told me that the sisters you knew were dead long ago," she said softly, hating to say it but knowing that he needed to be prepared, "and berated me for assuming that we could even be friends. And the worst of it was how calm and yet condescending she was about the whole thing - as if I were a silly little child who needed to be taught a lesson, and she was doing me a favor that I should be grateful for. It was... I'm sorry, my love. I took offense, and I'm afraid we didn't part on the best of terms. But she is still your sister," she added quickly, meeting his gaze again, "and perhaps it will be different with you."
Kashik
Wife of Vanator Denusk

Words: 136797
Joined roleplay: April 19th, 2010, 2:47 am
Character sheet

Family Secrets [Kashik]

Postby Vanator on June 22nd, 2010, 12:38 pm

Vanator listened carefully to Kashik's retelling of her visit. He tried to hide his surprise. He loved both women, and he would give both the benefit of the doubt, for he had not been there. But it disconcerted him that his sister and his wife had already had one unpleasant encounter.

The Curse. Yes, that might explain some of it. If Kavala had an inkling that her brother may take Kashik to wife, she would not embrace her outright. Though Vanator did not believe in any curse, he knew the belief in it had torn his family apart. That resentment had been boiling deep within him for more than two years.

The Drykas husband sighed heavily. "Many in my family believe in the curse. They believe it centers around my father's line, that I carry it. They also believed that Kavala and Akela carried it, or made it worse. I know it had much to do with driving Kavala to Mura, and Akela to the deserts."

"Kavala and Tamar had been close friends. My sister had loved my wife very much. Tamar's death was as traumatic and difficult for Kavala as it was for me. Afterwards, Kavala had no interest in our father's attempts to find me a wife, refused to get to know any woman I befriended. Kav believed in her heart that a curse killed her mother, and had killed Tamar. She could not take losing another close loved-one. So you can see where the strong feelings come from."

Van was staring into the fire as he spoke, his heart heavy. "And I know from her letter that she spent some time in the hands of slavers. You know what slavers can do to the mind and body." He found he was making excuses for his sister's behavior. The brother had held his own resentments towards her, but he denied them and buried them. Vanator loved Kavala deeply, he wanted to believe she would always be the caring, gentle person that had been his friend, comforter and strength from childhood into his adult life.

His eyes lifted to catch his mate's, hurt and confusion evident in his gold-specked dark gaze. "I don't know who she is now Kashik. She has been through a lot. I am sorry that you two had a bad experience."
Vanator

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Family Secrets [Kashik]

Postby Kashik on June 22nd, 2010, 1:26 pm

"I know," she said softly, reaching out to take his hand in hers. "I know there are reasons, horrible reasons, behind her actions. And I'm sorry I couldn't be more understanding then - but I've promised myself that I would do so now."

She scooted over until she could slide into his lap and curl her arms around his neck and hug him close. "It may be true that you don't know her anymore. But I truly believe that she still loves you, no matter what trauma she's suffered. She is your family, and that's a connection that only the two of you can choose to sever."

A kiss was pressed to his brow, and then she offered him a warm smile - one that reminded him that there were good things to be found in the world if he would only look for them. "Perhaps you will have to get to know this new Kavala, but we've plenty of time for that. We can stay as long as you need, and I will of course give you what space you require. I can always go back to the Kendoka Sasaran if you two need to be alone. Just so long as I get to spend the evenings in your arms," she chuckled, her smile twisting a little to show that she was teasing.
Kashik
Wife of Vanator Denusk

Character sheet

Family Secrets [Kashik]

Postby Vanator on June 22nd, 2010, 8:22 pm

Van shifted a bit to get more comfortable, placing his arms around Kashik's waist. He smiled at her and it reflected in his eyes before his gaze fell back to the fire.

"Kavala is not just my sister, she is...was my best friend. I was devastated when she left. I felt like she was leaving me. I tried to hold everyone together, make everyone happy, but I couldn't. Not my mother, not Akela, not Kavala. And Tamar was gone. Then Akela left. I was angry. I could not blame them, but I felt abandoned. I had to bear this stupid curse fairy tale myself. My father and mother refused to speak about it. I spent more and more time in the grass alone. My parents would try to arrange marriages, but I refused. I would sleep with the girl and move to the next."

He paused, not quite sure why he was pouring all this out now. "To hear the things you say about Kavala, well...I guess I will find out soon enough. But Kashik, no matter what she or Akela says, you are my wife and you are my family. They have to respect that."
Vanator

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Family Secrets [Kashik]

Postby Kashik on June 23rd, 2010, 12:00 pm

She listened as Vanator explained what it was like for him when his sisters left, and her heart twisted to see the scars it'd left on him. They'd taken from him his family and his friends, left him alone with only grief as a companion - and Kavala had had the audacity to blame him for not writing enough. Kashik understood why they were going, why it was necessary for him to face this and try to heal these wounds, but she wasn't at all sure she would have done the same. Good riddance, she thought, but they were important to Vanator and so she would make them important to herself as well.

His last words brought a soft smile to her lips, and if there was a bit of wetness in her eyes, well, it didn't turn to tears. But she immediately regretted her harsh thoughts of only moments before. Dark arms snaked around his neck and she hugged him tightly.

"I am your family," she agreed, slipping her hands up to thread into his hair. "And I will always be by your side. I'm sorry if my words brought you pain, my love - perhaps... perhaps she was simply trying to scare me off and protect you. She seemed to think me some sort of dilettante bent on wreaking havoc in everyone's lives. I tried to tell her that I was simply delivering your letter because you asked it, but... I don't know. I hope it was just her reaction to me, and that she won't be nearly so strange with you."
Kashik
Wife of Vanator Denusk

Character sheet

Family Secrets [Kashik]

Postby Vanator on June 23rd, 2010, 1:30 pm

Van gave into Kashik's embrace, wrapping his arms tighter around her waist. The things she had said about her visit to Riverfall disturbed him. His sisters obviously did not take well to Kashik, at least then. But Kavala and Akela had always been protective of him and had by themselves 'discouraged' many a posing woman from pursuing their big brother. Perhaps they were still watching out for him.

Vanator tried to banish the worry from his mind for the moment, holding Kashik close and inhaling her soothing scent of sandalwood and honey. He loved her, there was no doubt in that. He had been afforded the blessing of actually falling in love with both of the women who had become his wife. In a society of arranged marriages, one could only hope to find love after the wedding. But Van always seemed to find love easily.

Kashik did her best to placate his concern. He clung to her, drawing strength from their intimate embrace. All told, the two of them had only spent about eight days together since they met. Vanator was sure there was still much to learn about his wife, and she of him. Nevertheless, the strong Drykas woman had always put him above herself, even from the beginning. Sometimes it made Vanator uneasy. It had been so long since someone had wanted to take care of him.

"I know all will be fine, Kash." He spoke into her dark curly hair, soft against his face. "I know you will not leave me, and we will raise a fine family together." He lowered his head to press his lips against the Chevas mark on her dark neck. "I will never believe that a curse can separate us."
Vanator

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Family Secrets [Kashik]

Postby Puck on October 12th, 2010, 4:55 pm

Vanator_______
Skills
    Rhetoric 1
Lore
    Cuddling

Kashik_______
Skills
    Rhetoric 1