Reimancy: water to ice

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Ignatius on April 15th, 2013, 11:24 am

I was wondering about this for a while.

With Reimancy, can you make Ice from water by making your Res slow down the molecules on water?

I read the the lore that Air and water make ice, but I'd thought I'd ask if this was acceptable
Ignatius
& Laeva | The Reimancer Prodigy

Words: 15101
Joined roleplay: April 8th, 2013, 10:26 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Raven Nightfoot on April 15th, 2013, 11:44 am

Hey, I think I can answer your question. I'm pretty sure you can't since ice is a hybrid element, because it requires more than just compressed molecules to create ice, the molecules must be at a very low temperature as well.
I could go into a big technical rant about the reasonings, but I'd just be finding a long unnecessary way to say the same thing. Although, creating mist might be possible by spreading the res into a thin gaseous form, but that's mist NOT steam because steam is another hybrid element.
That being said. there is a difference between steam and mist. Steam being more harmful in that it can be used to scald something OR if compressed, can be quite powerful when used at high pressures. Whereas mist is of course generally neither warm nor cold and if compressed just becomes water.
Mizahar may be fantasy, but there's still a whole lot of science involved.

I hope this answered your question and if not, then I'm sorry and I'll just go crawl into a hole of shame.
Last edited by Raven Nightfoot on April 15th, 2013, 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Raven Nightfoot
You Don't Know What You Have Until I Take It

Words: 252545
Joined roleplay: October 19th, 2011, 12:54 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Ignatius on April 15th, 2013, 11:56 am

I see... so if I were to slow the molecules down, I could only make the water close to freezing, or extremely cold. that's a good point you're making about the elements, I might have to think about this for a while :P
Ignatius

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Raven Nightfoot on April 15th, 2013, 12:01 pm

I'm pretty sure that's about it, but I'm sure someone more intelligent and more qualified will reply to this in a short while.
Raven Nightfoot
You Don't Know What You Have Until I Take It

Words: 252545
Joined roleplay: October 19th, 2011, 12:54 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Ignatius on April 15th, 2013, 12:03 pm

Thank for your help :D
Ignatius

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Clyde Sullins on April 15th, 2013, 1:49 pm

You can make ice from water, using Reimancy, but you would need to already be able to create ice. So you would need both the water and air elements, which allows you the para-element of ice. So Raven is right, having water available, does not allow you to skirt one of the requirements to create ice Reimancy, the para-element.

I would imagine using your res and some ice Reimancy, to freeze water, would be more efficient than straight up transmuting res into ice, but less efficient than starting with ice, and using attraction to control it.

I also think steam is possible, possibly using water and fire, but I think it might require Glyphing to combine them. Glyphing does allow you to combine things, that traditionally do not go together.

Of course, if you are a Reimancer, you should already be learning Glyphing anyways, shouldn't you? :)

---

Anywho, as a afternote, the thing you are freezing also comes into question, as to the difficulty and djed usage.

For instance, ice cold spring water, freshly bubbling out cold, would be easier and less costly, than say warm water that has been sitting in a waterskin all day. So current temperature might make a small difference.

Along with that, is the freezing point of the material. Pure water freezes much easier than for instance salt water. Salt water is really hard to freeze, and requires really low temperatures. Which is why the oceans so rarely freeze. That along with it being so big. So larger quantities of water would likely also be harder to freeze than smaller samples.

Though really, you could freeze anything. Who wants a ale pop?
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)