Have to Swim Before You Can Walk... or Something! [Ayla]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Citadel of the Dead Queen, Black Rock is the island off of the eastern coast of Falyndar. Mythic and mysterious, few know what truly inhabits it. [Lore]

Have to Swim Before You Can Walk... or Something! [Ayla]

Postby Cayenne on August 15th, 2009, 4:23 am

Flashback Thread: Spring, 509 AV

"Here we are," Leeha told Ayla in her soft voice. "This is Black Rock... home of the Dead Queen, Dira. This place is a sanctuary... on land, we are hunted by the Myrians who live in the jungle to the west." The Charoda elder paused as dragon that they sitting on surfaced, its long neck and head breaking the waves, and then the back, where they sat, gave way to the cool, welcoming air. "But here, none may harm another. Not the ghosts, not the living. The goddess of death forbids it," the pale one smiled at the youngling. "It is safe to trade here. The Myrian, Salakel of the Crimson Sun, trades across from us at the Post." The dragon took its time easing through the water towards the dock, bringing Black Rock into view.

Black Rock was as stark a contrast as one could hope to find from the beautiful lights, the architecture, and liveliness of Charbosi. About them, a few of the pale land-walkers waved and to the Charodae, and Leeha returned the gesture. The black and white and grey that surrounded them was broken up only by simple flashes of colour, like the gloves of the robed figures who pushed the elegant boats along the canals with their long poles. Some wore scarves and gloves and other garments of color, but it was almost... drab. It was definitely depressing, even in the morning light that filtered through the fog. The enormous towers rose above the white, tomb-like buildings, disappearing into the haze overhead. Along the docks, and disappearing into the commercial district was a wide variety of people, humans and ghosts and a few others that, well, definitely were not human.

The silvery material of Leeha's robe had dried in the pleasantly cool spring air. The Charodae, used to the cooler temperatures of the ocean's floor, were not bothered by it, but Ayla was likely to notice the dryness of the air, and just how heavy she felt out of the water. "Many ghosts live on the island, side-by-side with those who choose to dwell here," the small trader stepped off of the dragon's back and onto the wooden dock, offering a hand to Ayla. "This is a safe enough place to learn to walk... as we'll stick to the docks and to the trading post for now. Swimming, you'll find, is one thing... but walking on land is quite another," she smiled at her. "Come, Acquitor Ayla, you have much to learn today."
Cayenne
Jungle Queen

Words: 440090
Joined roleplay: March 26th, 2009, 3:48 pm
Blog: View Blog (5)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
One Thousand Posts! (1) Power Fork (2)
Thunderspork (1)

Re: Have to Swim Before You Can Walk... or Something! [Ayla]

Postby Ayla on August 15th, 2009, 7:16 am

Ayla, for the first time in many years, felt like a youngling once more. It was all so new to her. The sudden lack of buoyancy, the almost oppressive dryness. The familiar, but strange people she could now see on the surface. And the idea of walking. All of it almost... scared her. But her overwhelming curiosity overrode any sort of fear for what was coming, what she would encounter and learn. While her head was seemingly attached to a swivel, taking in every sight, her ears listened intently to the elder's words.

Her kelp clothing dried as Leeha extended her hand, the tunic turning the same color as her large and expressive eyes. While the dark color matched the drab surroundings, her aquamarine skin color was as opposite as the merchant's silvery cloak. She smiled, showing her rows of bone-white triangular teeth, and reached for the merchant's hand. She promptly let out a shrill chirp as she nearly pulled the merchant off the dock. "I am sorry Elder," she let go of Leeha's hand and looked down at the dock abashedly before gazing back up and grinning sheepishly. "I see that I truly do have much to learn." At that, Ayla reached for the Charoda's, and using both her legs and her arm, carefully stood up and shakily stepped onto the dock.

As she let go of the merchant's hand, and stood for the first time on dry (or atleast as dry as a dock could be) land, she was surprised. While she could notice that lack of fluidity to her movements that she was used to, she also seemed to be... faster. She raised her arms up, and was startled by how they could move so quickly through the air, and how little of her strength she actually needed. "Elder, this is truly amazing! While I have heard the tellings and histories of our travels above the waves, it is most certainly something to experience for one's self." She turned her head to Leeha and smiled wide once more.

After looking at one of the non-ghosts on the dock for a few moments, she mimicked the movement she could see and attempted to take her first step on the dock. With her arms raised to her side, and relying on her innate sense of balance and body control, she moved her right foot up, forward, and down. As she managed to not fall on her face, she giggled, letting out a soft chirping sound that was almost like a dolphin's call. "Elder, this is truly wonderful. I cannot understand why more Charodae would not want to visit the surface."

((Blue = Common and Green = Char))
Last edited by Ayla on August 16th, 2009, 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ayla
Acquitor

Words: 9223
Joined roleplay: August 14th, 2009, 4:07 am
Blog: View Blog (4)
Race: Charoda
Character sheet

Postby Cayenne on August 16th, 2009, 12:41 am

The slender elder only chuckled when Ayla nearly pulled her off of the dock. "It is fine. This is how we learn, yes?" she had quickly regained her balance, and held out her hands for Ayla to try again. Once she seemed to have the hang of it, Ayla had let go, and Leeha gave her room to make her own attempts. The pale Charoda watched, pleased. Further up the dock, humans chattered away in Common as they prepared to fish, either from boats with nets or with rod and reel. Ayla was used to hearing Common, as they learned it in Charbosi, but down there, it still retained some hint of melody that the Charodae carried over from speaking in Char. Up here... the sounds of that came off of their tongues were much harsher. "You have likely noticed by now," Leeha smiled at her, "that our movement out of the water is much faster, and takes less. That is because under the water, what we gain in buoyancy, we gain in resistance. The water is all around us. But up here... there is only air, and air does not have the heaviness to it that water does. So as used to the resistance as we are, we move much faster up here."

She watched as the Acquitor kept her balance, and clapped her webbed hands together. "Good. And now the next one. Nice, slow, and steady, Ayla." She nodded a bit at the youngling's statement. "There are a number of reasons why more Charodae do not come to the surface, or at least, visit but never leave the water," she took a step back. "One of them is that depending on where they travel, there are dangers. As I said, to the west, the Myrians control most, if not all, of the the Falyndarian region, in which we are now, and they are a violent people who destroy others if they can catch them," Leeha shook her head, causing the mass of tentacles to writhe with disapproval. "To the east is Cyphrus, which is not so bad. But the trek itself, without horses or dragons, is long. That leaves Black Rock, which is a nice place... if difficult to adapt to," the trader grinned, showing her own rows of sharp teeth.

"Black Rock, in the commercial and residential districts, is lined with canals. In the commercial area, every hour on the hour, the canals shift... moving everything with them," she paused to let that sink in. "The roads, the buildings, the bridges, the inner docks... Each of them move. You can get caught when this happens. It will not kill you, since the Omens and the Gondoliers are quick to rescue those who are become stuck," the elder told her. "Dira's Spire, in the middle of the island, has the clock. When you hear it chime, make sure you are somewhere solid here - either inside a building or outside of the commercial district. It's confusing, at first, but you'll learn soon enough."

Leeha pulled one of the ropes securing the kelp net to the pelagic dragon, who rested in the deep waters beside the dock. The rope sprung the net loose, releasing the woven kelp baskets that held Leeha's wares. These were simple enough - sea vegetables aplenty, pearls of various sizes, some trinkets, jewels, and crafts, and various findings from under the sea. Interesting bones, colourful shells, and more. "Another reason, Ayla, and this is very important, is that we dry out up here, just like your kelp. But while that specially-treated gear you wear, which gains strength even while dry, we do not. We need water. Be it from the rain, from the bath, from a bucket... to be immersed once again is to be refreshed. Never forget that, Acquitor. To die the dry death is painful at best... when death becomes a release."

She gathered one of the baskets, dripping as it was down her silvery cloak. "Keep practicing. Your dancing abilities will help you here, for you understand movement, and you see how the others manage," she indicated the those around them, including two captivated, ghostly children who watched with a great deal of curiosity. "Much of your balance becomes in your toes, but the whole foot is important."
Cayenne
Jungle Queen

Office
Scrapbook
Thunderspork (1)

Postby Ayla on August 16th, 2009, 6:51 am

Ayla rocked back and forth, from her heels to her toes, feeling how it shifted her weight and balance. She took a few more careful steps forward before slowly pivoting on one foot and turning to face the Charodaen merchant. She paused, with a look of confused innocence on her expressive features as the elder talked about Black Rock and its movements. While Ayla had heard the tales before, it was still a strange concept to her. Coral does not move. Grow, yes, but not reorganize. How do they give directions? Make their maps and stories? Strange indeed.

"Those ghosts. The children. They stay behind due to... unfinished business, yes? I cannot think in any of our histories of a Charodaen ghost. Are the landwalkers so busy, even as children, that they work beyond the mortal coil?" It was obvious that Ayla had done her studying, of both the landwalkers and their language. While she still had a similar accent to Leeha, she was attempting to use words that simply weren't in Char. The Acquitor proceeded to slowly bend her knees and waist, reaching down towards the water, where she then picked up one of the kelp baskets and smiled at her elder. "Elder, allow me to help you with your items. I must do something of service, less I be like the barnacle on the great whales."

The young Charoda proceeded to lift the item out of the water and turn around, facing the ghostly children once more. She glanced at Leeha for a moment before smiling at the children and speaking in her accented Common, "Hello younglings. Do you often play near the docks?" She felt a vauge sense of... nervousness, something very uncommon for her. I'm actually speaking to a landwalker! And a dead one at that! Oh, the stories I shall gather.

((Blue = Common and Green = Char))
Ayla
Acquitor

Character sheet

Postby Cayenne on August 18th, 2009, 2:53 am

"You are right," Leeha nodded serenely, holding onto a kelp basket with long, webbed fingers. "The occurrences of Charodaen ghosts are very few, and quite uncommon, because our lives are quite full - we enjoy our lives, have no regrets, and no reason to linger. There were a few, you see, after the great rending - those that went to the surface to try to discover what had happened. They were brutally slain, despite coming with peaceful intentions. They died, but a few of them became ghosts to bring their warning to the survivors. Upon completing their task, they went to the great beyond." She lowered her head in remembrance, carrying one basket along the docks.

"There are a number of reasons why a soul does not go into the great beyond... and as you say, it is usually because they feel like they have unfinished business of some sort. It could be the need for revenge, it could be an urge to complete a promise or a task... but whatever it is," the diminutive Charoda shook her tentacles slightly, "they are fettered to this coil. Many come here, and seek help to be able to pass on. Some simply get lost, and find that their journeys take them here - to where the Gondoliers, and the Goddess of Death herself, help them. Some stay behind without understanding, knowing, or realizing what chains them here. Those are the saddest of all."

"But some have a mission, Acquitor, like those who our kind who were slain did. Some may never pass on because the task that they now have. All ghosts have a story. While some may be warped and twisted and a shadow of their former selves... they were all alive, once," she waited while Ayla gathered a basket of her own. "Take a lighter one," she advised, "it will help offset the weight of the body." Once she had seen that Ayla had a basket of her own, she started down the dock, towards the section that apparently had been deemed the trading post, and giving the youngling a chance to talk to the ghosts that were watching her with keen interest.

The dead children brightened when Ayla spoke to them. "In the morning," the pale-haired girl told her. "Because then the other children are in school, so we can't play then. Sometimes we go to the school, sometimes we don't. But I like to watch my daddy come back when he goes fishing. And sometimes we go to the Lighthouse, because Percy and 'Phelly are there."
Cayenne
Jungle Queen

Office
Scrapbook
Thunderspork (1)

Postby Ayla on August 18th, 2009, 10:14 am

Ayla observed the direction that Leeha walked, but did not immediately follow. She chose instead to stay with the children. Holding the basket, and attempting to keep her balance due to the odd sense of gravity pulling on the basket, she smiled at the dead girl.

"I always loved going to school. Sometimes they would have to force me to leave." She continued to smile and laughed softly. "But now I am here to learn." She paused for a moment as a thought crossed her mind. Yes, I'm here to learn. But more importantly to find those willing to come to the Charodae. To visit Charbosi. I'm here to learn of those that are willing to learn.

"Who are Percy and 'Phelly? Do they teach you things you would rather learn then what is at school?" Again Ayla stopped her words. Perhaps I shouldnt berate the younglings with too many questions. "Would you mind accompanying my to Elder Leeha's place of business? Though, I would not want to take you away from your father, should he arrive."

The Acquitor smiled once more at the two children, and started slowly walking in the direction that the Charodaen merchant had gone. Oh I do hope they come along. But maybe I am considering them too much like adults. I really cant remember if the landwalkers normally treat their younglings in such ways...
Ayla
Acquitor

Character sheet

Postby Cayenne on August 20th, 2009, 4:30 pm

The girls shared a look. "Really?" there was a bit of disbelief to this statement, as if they had trouble comprehending anyone wanting to stay in school so much to the point where they would be ejected because they didn't want to leave. "We'll come with you," they chorused as one. "I like school," the blonde admitted after a little bit. "I'm Abby, and this is Cora." The brunette waved.

"Like coral," Cora clarified. "That's what Leeha said. She always has pretty things to sell," she told Ayla. "We like to see those. And Salakel's scary, but her... Tsk..thingie... is really big! And Abby's da' won't be back until later, you see," she paused there, glancing at the blonde. "They spend the morning on the water, but not if the weather's really really really really bad."

"Then he stays home," Abby added. She seemed to register the question about Percy and 'Phelly, and realized that required an answer. "Percy and 'Phelly are dead, like us. But they stay in the Lighthouse all the time. They have to make sure it's lit. But they're smart. They know lots and lots. Sometimes Mister Marris comes to the lighthouse to teach them things."

"Do you like living in Charbosi?" Cora had a question of her own for the Acquitor. Leeha, as she could see, wasn't too far ahead, but had set the kelp baskets on one side of a place of dry land, and was coming for for another, smiling at Ayla and her new companions.

"They are like ducklings," she told the younger Charoda in Char as she passed, picking up another basket, and joined them for the walk towards the Trading Post, greeting the girls with a big smile, but largely letting Ayla control the conversation.
Cayenne
Jungle Queen

Office
Scrapbook
Thunderspork (1)

Postby Ayla on August 21st, 2009, 3:45 am

Ayla smiled at Leeha and then remembered one of many sayings of the Acquitors. "Animals have forgotten more pathways then we shall ever learn." The Acquitor then turned her gaze once more to the dead children and started walking slowly down the dock, carefully balancing her weight and the basket. It would be rather embarassing to fall down in front of these younglings.

"Oh yes, Charbosi is a wonderful place, though perhaps not as energetic as Black Rock. Charbosi is quiet stationary," she allowed herself a laugh at her own joke, "but it is a beautiful city. We grow our family homes from coral of all different colors, and they are lit by special plants and fish. In school I would learn how to dance and sing, the history of our people and what we know of the world above the waves, even math and the identification of plants." She checked to make sure she wasnt losing the children with the conversation. "I particularily like dancing, though ours is somewhat different then the dancing you do above-water. Perhaps sometime later I could show you some, when the sun is bright and you can see clear into the waves."

As they neared where the Elder had placed her first basket, Ayla remembered she was here more to learn then talk about herself. "Do all the ghosts on Black Rock have jobs like Percy and 'Phelly? I would be very surprised by that. I think I would just spend all my time doing other things," the Acquitor smiled at the children as she set her own basket down, "like exploring. Do you two like to explore? Maybe you could show me your favorite place on the isle, or the Lighthouse?"

While Ayla felt an internal obligation to help out Leeha with the rest of her baskets, she knew an Acquitor's job. The Elders had charged her with an important mission, by allowing her to become one of the few chosen. If she could first learn all there was possibile about a people and an area, recording those details within her mind and body's memories, she could find and show people the way to Charbosi. Though... the Elders never explained how a land-walker is to visit our city within the waves.
Ayla
Acquitor

Character sheet

Postby Cayenne on August 23rd, 2009, 11:33 pm

"And each is now forever lost," the elder nodded, making a light step despite her heavy-looking cloak to the back of the pelagic dragon as it stuck its head under the water to help itself to some seaweed. She scooped up two baskets, and started back towards the Trading Post. There was always much to do, and it wouldn't be long, surely, before Salakel arrived with her own goods.

The children listened with abject fascination. They'd heard something about Charbosi from interrogations of Leeha, but it was still interesting to hear about it... especially from another perspective. Leeha had been old well before the children had been born, and as such, had numerous tales that differed greatly than from what Ayla was now telling them. "We would like that," Cora told Ayla, pleased at the offer of watching her dance.

"No, not all the ghosts," Abby chimed in after her friend. "Some of them do... like at the Tombstone... but.. it depends. And some won't ever tell you what they are. But we'll show you," the ghostly child grinned at the Acquitor. "Would you like to go and meet Percy and 'Phelly first?" The children were already walking backwards, watching Ayla, this time making sure she was following them as they went to the trading post, where Ayla could leave her basket with the ones Leeha had already transported.
Cayenne
Jungle Queen

Office
Scrapbook
Thunderspork (1)

Postby Ayla on August 24th, 2009, 12:03 pm

Ayla nodded as Abby talked. Younglings are such a wonderfully uninhibited source of information. The Acquitor reached the trading post and carefully set her basket down next to Leeha's other items. She then towards the merchant and smiled sheepishly, "Elder, I ask my leave of you. I will return later, to speak more, but for now it would seem that I have two very willing and eager guides."

The Acquitor turned her head towards Cora and Abby and smiled. "Well, I think meeting Percy and 'Phelly would be a wonderful thing to do right now. That way I can ask someone and make sure you two shrimp should not be in school." The Acquitor grinned and then placed her webbed hands on her hips. "So, which way to the Lighthouse?"

I cannot imagine everything will be this easy, will it? Perhaps I should not be using these younglings in such a fashion. Find my own way about the city. Oh, but that would be so dreary. So much better to have company at the least.
Ayla
Acquitor

Character sheet

Next