Completed Death of a Clansman

Lessons on life and death are learned when word of Malkar's death arrives to the Denusk pavilion

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Death of a Clansman

Postby Delani Denusk on May 3rd, 2013, 2:26 pm

Timestamp: 87 Fall, 494

The Fall Hunt had been a right challenge so far this year. A great number of the hunting parties had come back already with dreadful losses. The parties that had returned early were reporting a great number of the enormous snakes that swam through the Sea of Grass, the larger of them bulking up on meals in the microsystems around the craters to make it through the winter. It must have been a surplus breeding season some years ago for these giants to be out in force. Others were reporting more than usual glassbeak attacks, mostly rogue individuals whose pack had probably been eaten by other predators (a rare thing indeed for these apex avians to find themselves outmatched by another creature). But the biggest story being passed along the Web was of something far more fierce than the glass beaks, night lions, and even snarlwings (though these typically had no need to hunt the living).

No, stories were travelling of something very big and very dangerous raiding the parties campsites during the day. Seven teams had already reported deaths from whatever the creature was. Perhaps that was why most of Sapphire was on edge, their ‘ears’ to the Web. Of course, whomever caught and killed the beast might gain quite the praise for doing so; the first frost would tell all.

Delani was out working with a trainer that day, honing her skills with the falx she’d chosen as weaponry in the field. Her teacher was one of the more experienced hunters in the Windsong Pavillion, an elder if you will, who could not participate in the great hunt that year; a fierce man, but not unkind. “Watch your footing, Delani.” He was saying, whistling one of the hunting dogs he worked with forth to try and trip her up. Of course, the dog was more interested in playing than ‘training’, its understanding of such somewhat…limited, obviously.

The blade had been left sheathed to prevent harming the dogs by accident, thick leather used to blunt the edges and not cut anybody by mistake. The handle was held firmly, her feet spread apart a little and balance set on her balls so she could bounce freely away from the dog when he came in. Vivid greens stayed firm on the dog as it danced around in front of her, waiting for an opportunity to pounce as much as his target waited for the opportunity to counter him.

“Come on, pooch, I know you want to.” She laughed, shifting her left foot back and digging it into the ground to push off with. The mare Strider that had chosen her was watching all of this with the watery, bright-eyed leer of one ready to laugh when her rider faltered; Delani was only fifteen afterall. The dog launched itself forward, ears flopping, paws flying. The teen twisted to the side just before it reached her, its slobbering tongue narrowly missing its target and losing out on sopping success. When the dog landed and started to twist, Delani aimed a hilted jab at the dogs flank but gouged the dirt by mistakel. “Shoot!” She gestured in Pavi, not quite cursing as the dog avoided the attack easily and came tumbling after her once more.

It leapt again, and this time caught her, the big “killer” pushing the thick teen to the ground easily enough and settling its bulk atop her like the lounge mongrel it really was. That sloppy tongue covered her face in kisses while the strider whinnied. How that was anything but laughter was beyond the girl as she herself laughed back and tried to roll the dog off her, “Some killer you are.” She boxed the dogs ears affectionately, eventually settling into just rubbing its broad, slightly dopey looking face. “Sir, it’s not exactly fair to practice on him, is it? I mean…he doesn’t really fight. He just licks. Can we not go out and maybe work in the grass?”

“No, Delani. You’re not ready for that. You need really need to practice more and question less.” He replied.

“But, I like to ask questions. Where would any of us be if questions weren’t asked? Where would you be, sir, if your father had not asked your mother to marry him?” This seemed to lighten the trainers attitude a bit, enough that a smile creased his brow slightly.

“Point taken; on your feet, then, girl. Let’s get back. Sun’s setting and I’m certain your aunt's worried.”

“They always worries, sir. She thinks papa’s going to come home without an arm or leg. Did you hear what happened to one of Emerald’s parties? Someone had taken their youngest son out on the hunt with him. The very first night, the boy was taken off by a night lion! There was no chance of recovery, they said.” Delani got to her feet after finally working her way out from under the dog and brushed her hands across the blue-splashed weave of her skirt. “It must have been frightening. I was told sometimes you do not even hear the pride approaching. It’s the males, they say, and their big manes. Maybe their manes act as mufflers in the grasses, softening the sound of their approach before they leap upon their prey. I would love to observe one hunt some time; it must be very interesting.

“Rumors, girl. And if your Nadra heard you speaking in such a way, she’d strap you to a Seme for a year! You wouldn’t learn much then, I’d imagine, but you’d be safe enough.” He shrugged and called the dog to him as Delani fetched the mare, climbing deftly onto the five year olds back. “Of course, you’d probably bore the drivers to death with all the questions you’d ask of them too, hah!”

The girl grinned back at him, rubbing Delani’s mane as she settled onto the blanket over her back. “I cannot help my nature, sir. Haven’t you wondered of such things? Like why the Striders run fastest in the Sea or why we’ve never considered settling into one place or why the winds blow fiercest in the fall.”

The man only rolled his eyes and gave the strider’s shoulder a touch to urge her on. “Go on now, Delani. Back to the pavilion before they all come to me thinking you’ve been eaten too. Sure footing, lass.”

“You too! Bye sir, I’ll see you later.” She called back, clucking the mare forth and heading back to her Pavilion. It’d been a long day and she was tired. Maybe Aunt Nadra had something exciting for dinner that night. Most of the parties would be returning soon, afterall. Who knows, maybe father would be there waiting!
Last edited by Delani Denusk on June 5th, 2013, 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Delani Denusk
Player

Words: 187725
Joined roleplay: April 26th, 2013, 6:31 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Death of a Clansman

Postby Vanator on May 16th, 2013, 4:38 pm

GUEST MODERATOR

The lope of the Ankal's strider seemed to bear the same sorrow as the visage of the man swaying in the yvas, his spear held loosely in his hand, tip pointing earthward. The creases in Eachann's face seemed deeper, the sadness expressed there tainted with a resolute hardness. It was not the first time he returned home without a brother. Many years ago it had been Ghlealan, when they were still young. The Denusk brother had been caught by a lion, and Eachann had to return to the pavilion and break the news to his brother's wife, Keela. Not long after that, to honor his dead brother, Eachann took Keela as his second wife, even as she still mourned her lost husband. Now, he had to tell another Denusk woman that her man was not returning. But this time, he would have to tell the daughter of his brother Malkar that her father is gone.

Eachann returned only with his son Vanator. His remaining brothers, nephews and sons remained behind to prepare the kills and bring them home. The journey back was made in silence, neither man willing to break the solemn quiet between them, until they breached the perimeter of Endrykas and entered the Sapphire Clan grounds, rounding on the Denusk Pavilion. The Ankal slid from his yvas, handing his spear up to the mounted Vanator. "Go water and groom out the Striders, son, but say nothing to anyone until I tell Delani." The teen nodded obediently and headed off, Eachann giving his mount a pat on the rump, urging it to follow the young man.

As fate would have it, the teenage daughter of Malkar had just arrived as well. He had considered having his wife Nadra tell Delani of the fate of her father. Nadra had become close to the girl after her mother passed away, and certainly could ease the child's grief. But Eachann realized, now, he was not only her uncle and her Ankal, he would have to be the father-figure she no longer had and he should bear the responsibility. Meeting the gaze of no others, Eachann intercepted Delani as she came from the horses' shelter. With a half-raised hand, the Ankal called out to the young woman.

"Delani," his voice sounded old and tired, but still bore the authority that made everyone in the pavilion heed his words, "I need to speak with you, dear."
Vanator
There is fire shut up in my bones.

Words: 940033
Joined roleplay: January 8th, 2010, 1:16 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Death of a Clansman

Postby Delani Denusk on May 16th, 2013, 9:56 pm

The girl had just finished stripping the mare of her gear and brushing her down, leaving her with a handful of sweet oats as a treat before her main meal, and was on her way out of the shelter to meet Nadra to help ready dinner when her uncle hailed her. Delani looked up in surprise and and returned his minimal wave cautiously. His face alone suggested something serious, his tone implicating this further as she resecured the falx to her hips and made her way towards him.

Her hands motioned honor to him as words amplified the sentiment in the natural Pavi language. "Afternoon, uncle, a pleasant surprise to see you! We weren't expecting you back for a bit still! Aunt Nadra will be excited you're home safe and I cannot wait to hear what tales you must have. With all the excitement from the other parties reports, I'm sure it's to be grand."

The girl looked past him now and to the tents beyond where she assumed the rest from the Hunting party must now be. That meant father would be in there, and she knew he'd have some grand tales to tell, too. He often had the best stories when she was little, his fireside sonnets fanning the flames of her imagination and curiosity into the inferno that it was. She loved the tales of webbing he had and the reports he sometimes told her that came from that wonderful network that made the Sea what it was; she knew Malkar loved to see her eyes light up with anything new he had for her as much as she loved to hear from him. Of course, it set her mother to panic frequently when she was younger, but then, the matron was always a bit nervous...

"You and the others must have just arrived; I didn't see fathers horse with the others. Is he waiting inside?" She asked, head tilting slightly in that oh so interested way. "I wonder if he brought anything from the prey trails. With all the rumors of the serpents, I hope it's a snake skin!" She grinned and let her eyes drift past the Ankal to the pavilion, hoping to spot Malkar amidst the shapes within the shadowed tents. But Delani's gaze kept returning to the trail-weary features of her leader and the tone which had risen from his voice.

He was far too serious for returning from the hunt and the girl began to wonder...Maybe something had happened? The worst that could be, someone had died. The best, their hunt had gone poorly and no feast-share would be given when the first frost came. She hoped it was closer to the latter, the youth now crossing her arms over her belly and frowning up at her uncle.

"Everything went okay, didn't it...? You seem too..." But she trailed off, trying not to let her imagination run away too far with itself lest she assume something truly horrific had happened when no more than a lost kill may have occurred.
Delani Denusk
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Death of a Clansman

Postby Vanator on May 21st, 2013, 1:57 pm

The youth's excitement only sunk Eachann's heart further. The effort to force even the smallest smile failed, buried under his own sense of loss and the dread of having to tell the child her father was dead. The Ankal's eyes considered Delani, the teenager herself not unaccustomed to great loss. She was intelligent and perceptive as well, and Eachann supposed she would deduce the circumstances before he broke the news.

"Van and I returned early, the rest of the party will follow." Most of the party will return. It would only temporarily distract the youth's suspicions. His large hand rested lightly on the girl's small shoulder, knowing her fears would return almost immediately. "Walk with me Delani, and listen."

Eachann guided his niece through the encampments, navigating through less populated areas. "The hunt was successful, but, as you have heard, the Sea has been especially dangerous this season." The Ankal lead the young woman towards some storage tents at the rear of the pavilion, where more privacy could be offered. He paused, turning the girl until she faced him.

"Delani," Eachann began after a heavy sigh, his usually authoritative tone now doused by a soft, weary, yet honest timbre. "Not every Denusk is coming back from the hunt."
Last edited by Vanator on May 24th, 2013, 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vanator

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Death of a Clansman

Postby Delani Denusk on May 21st, 2013, 2:59 pm

The girl walked beside the older man with eyes downcast, her thoughts wandering on ahead even as he spoke. They passed a few younger children. A boy of six or so chasing two girls of four. The boy had a stick raised and the girls appeared to be pretending to be zibri with the boy herding them along. They were all laughing; an unusual game, but clearly entertaining to them. But their joy could not be shared as they made it away from the din and to the quiet behind the storage tents, Delani stopping once Eachann had and looking up at him concernedly.

"The sea is always dangerous, some times morseo than others. We all know that...Uncle, who's not coming back?" She pressed then, staring up, intelligent eyes fixed on his own and a deep frown of worry creasing that smooth forehead. She sensed the seriousness of this; were it another, Eachann would not be speaking to her in private like this, Dela knew that. He was a good leader to the family, strong and smart, with plenty of skill to protect them. But even the girl knew an Ankal couldn't protect them from everything.

"It's father isn't it." The corners of her eyes tightened, the very thought bringing tears to the surface. But they did not fall; she remained steadfast in her stare up at her uncle, her lips tightened to prevent them from quivering. She couldn't quite keep the tremble from her hands as she clutched at her elbows instead of sides, knuckles white in their grip. It'd barely been four years since mothers passing, and now him too? The matron had been much more sensitive of things than her daughter or husband and many of the others in the pavillion. She'd also been weaker, health wise. No one quite understood why, but it came as no surprise when she'd died in child birth.

"Do you know how?" She asked, a waiver in her young voice that contradicted the barely composed visage of the teenager before him. "A snake? Glassbeaks? I told him he shouldn't take Corvin this time; he was limping a little when I saw him in the stables....If it was glassbeaks, there's no way he could've gotten away on him."
Delani Denusk
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Death of a Clansman

Postby Vanator on May 24th, 2013, 2:44 pm

The two of them walked several paces in silence, Eachann knowing the truth, Delani already deducing the facts. Though the children of the pavilion paid them no mind, the observant eyes of those with more winters under their belts knew the scenario all too well, and waited for the news that the Ankal was breaking to the daughter of Malkar. Hushed whispers and the shuffle of leather shoes made way for the man and girl.

Finally, Delani lifted her gaze to her uncle, whose heart sunk further as he looked into her clear, intelligent eyes. She spoke with grace, understanding and strength, even as his niece strove to contain the strain in her voice and the tears that welled up, giving her glance a glassy quality.

The girl spoke, guessing at the truth, Delani's own conclusion sparing the Ankal the pain of having to speak the words of his brother's death. A great admiration of the young Denusk welled up within him as he watched her struggle to take the news in stride. Malkar had raised her well.

Eachann's large hand rested lightly on the teen's shoulder. "Yes Dela, it was your father." The old Denusk's heart broke. He did not want to have to describe the details of the death. But the girl asked, and if anyone, she had the right to know everything. "It was a olidosapux." He paused, adding a note to give her some form of comfort. "It was quick."

The Ankal's eyes, usually authoritarian and sharp, were softened as they fixed on Delani, gauging her as the news sunk in. Looking up, Eachann could see his first wife standing at the corner of one of the outer tents, arms folded, eyes red from tears.
Vanator

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Death of a Clansman

Postby Delani Denusk on May 24th, 2013, 4:02 pm

Delani finally averted her eyes, though it was only down to the ground. She felt her heart grow heavy and knew the tears could not be contained any longer. The girl turned her back on her uncle and tried to hide the hand that rose to wipe the tears from her eyes.

It was hard not to think about exactly how he might have been killed. In all liklihood, the party had been hunting the brutish herbivores and the hunt had gone against them. It was impossible to stop the thoughts once they got going and before Dela could stave off her sorrow any further, she sobbed. It came out slightly choked as she tried to cut it off by clenching her jaws and gritting her teeth. But even that wouldn't stop the tears.

Dela pressed the palms of both hands against her eyes then, trying desperately to push the tears away, as though wiping clean the slate would keep even the sobs welling even more within from coming out. But she couldn't. Malkar was a brave warrior, smart and strong and had taught his daughter all that he could; but he couldn't have prepared her enough for even his passing. Life in the Sea was hard, Delani knew this. But it made it no less difficult to bare. She hiccuped out a sob again.
x
Delani Denusk
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Death of a Clansman

Postby Vanator on May 28th, 2013, 12:53 pm

Eachann watched his niece as her resolve to maintain her composure wavered. She wanted to be strong, to appear mature before the Ankal, and he understood. But even he would mourn the loss of his brother. It was the course of things. The man rested his large hands again on Delani's shoulders, her back still turned to him. The Ankal felt Delani's small frame shudder from restrained sobs.

Gently, Eachann turned the teen around to face him, one hand still resting reassuringly on her shoulder. "It is right to mourn him, Dear. He was a good man, and certainly has already found his way to the Web. Our tears that wet the grass in his name are an honor to his memory, do not restrain that offering. You will not mourn alone. You are surrounded by family that love you, and you will not be alone."

The Ankal's gaze shifted to that of his wife, and Nadra gave him an acknowledging nod. She knew what his intent would be, it was a matter that they had discussed should tragedy strike the poor child again. Eachann turned back to look down upon the youth, her face buried in her hands, body wracked with sobbing. "You will never be alone, Del, Nadra and I will always take care of you. You will join us, with Vanator,Akela, Kavala and Bolden." Leaning down, Eachann pressed a tender kiss to the crown of Delani's head.
Vanator

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Death of a Clansman

Postby Delani Denusk on May 28th, 2013, 1:41 pm

When he layed his hands upon her, the girl could not withold herself further and turned quickly to wrap her arms around his middle and press her face against his chest, using his own body as the muffler hers refused to give. Each breath was a tremble, hiccuping through her throat and into lungs; each tear was a flood to stain his weathered shirt.

Even as she cried, the girl listened but could not yet find the voice to speak. Her mind went back to the day mother had passed. She remembered standing morosely with father at the edge of the pavillion and looking to the grass just yards from them that blocked the rest of the world from her sight. She remembered watching as the four lifted the body of Malkars only wife, wrapped in the deep blue of their Clan, with a second,tiny wrapped thing secured to her chest. It had hurt Malkar then, Delani understood, to see his wife being sent back into the Sea to return to the circle of life the Drykas thrived in. It had been a boy, she remembered him saying, second born, but still a boy. And in their deaths, the man had turned his devotion onto Delani so that their loss would not break the bond between them and that he could teach the child what he could to be a good, strong, intelligent Drykas woman and bring honor to what man she might wed in the same way her own mother brought honor to him.

"It hurts, uncle..." She finally croaked, muscles in her arms tight and hands clenched together in the small of his back. "There was still so much he wanted to show me, to teach me. He was going to take me to Stardown this winter..." She sobbed again. "He said we could go if I could show him how well my falx lessons were going." Another sob.

When the Ankal bent and kissed her head, she could almost feel his reassurance like a wave. It soothed some of her sorrow into submission so that she was not simply weeping, but mourning. It hurt, way down deep did it hurt. But this was Cyphrus and life was and always would be hard here. One could still honor the fallen, and Dela would. The best way to do that now was continue the lessons, continue to fan that flame of curiosity Malkar so loved in her, and remember what he gave to her.

Finally, the girl let out a long sigh and leaned back, looking up at Eachann's face. She looked around and spotted her aunt as well and gave the other a sad smile, or as close to one as she could manage. Then, returning jade eyes to her leader, she said, "I would be honored, Ankal. You and aunt Nadra have always been good to me." She squeezed his waist again in a hug before stepping back and rubbing her eyes with the palm of her hand once more. "But if it's okay, I don't really want to cry around the others...Father knows I love him." In other words, she wanted to try and stay brave and strong like he'd shown her, and would mourn him properly in private.
x
Delani Denusk
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Death of a Clansman

Postby Vanator on May 31st, 2013, 12:05 pm

The girl's resolve crumbled, and Delani let the bottled grief pour out upon her uncle. Eachann wrapped his arms around the youth, his large hand stroking her hair. Mourning was as natural and necessary a process as that of picking up and moving on when the mourning had passed, and he would let his niece grieve a she chose. Hearing her sobs, the disciplined heart of the Ankal gave place to his own sadness, not only for the loss of a beloved brother, but for the girl left without a father.

But no one was alone in a Drykas pavilion. They were family, all of them. When Delani's mother had died, the other women of the pavilion became her mothers, Nadra not the least of them. Now, Eachann and his remaining brothers would become her fathers. But the Ankal would step into his dead brother's boots more fully, ensuring the young Delani would have a father-figure in her life.

"Yes, it is a pain that will pass with time. But do not fight it. It is a memorial to how much you loved him, and he you. When the time is right, you will find peace with it."
His voice was low and rich, his face tilted down over the girl's head as she buried her face in his chest. "And you will see Stardown, I promise, we will go there in honor of him. For him too, I will witness you become a skilled fighter with your falx."

When Delani stepped back, composing herself with a deep sigh, Nadra drew closer, a smile that was both sad and caring gracing her features. The woman held out her hand, gently wrapping her arm around the teenager's shoulder and tenderly directing her towards the pavilion. "We will go inside, dear, and get you some tea."

Eachann drew in a deep breath, exhaling as if he could expel the weight of the moment with it. But the weary sadness remained. Delani would be fine, he knew. She was a remarkable young Drykas, raised well by both mother and father in the time they had with her. He vowed to himself to complete the work that they had begun in Delani. With another glance at the two women as the rounded the corner to the main pavilion, Eachann Denusk went back to the work of an Ankal, preparing the rest of the family for the grievous news.
Vanator

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next