Where Things Fly and Crawl(Hyacinth)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

While Sylira is by far the most civilized region of Mizahar, countless surprises and encounters await the traveler in its rural wilderness. Called the Wildlands, Syliran's wilderness is comprised of gradual rolling hills in the south that become deep wilderness in the north. Ruins abound throughout the wildlands, and only the well-marked roads are safe.

Postby Jaeden Kincade on June 30th, 2010, 7:02 am

30th day of Summer, 510 A.V.

The light of the morning sun could be felt touching the land as a soft wind blew from the west, causing trees to sway back and forth in an almost intricate dance. A steady gallop could be heard around the forest as Jaeden rode atop of Fortunado, swerving and turning between trees as he gripped the horn of his saddle tightly, trying to make sure he didn’t fall of when he leaned slightly with each turn. Fortunado gave a subtle gruff, shaking his head slightly as Jaeden nearly teetered off his back on one turn. “Oh don’t give me that look.” Jaeden said to the horse. “It’s not as if I’m making you pull heavy carts or something.”

Fortunado let out a slight whinny then, bobbing his head up and down as Jaeden began riding in a strait path now, heading for a clearing. Jaeden suddenly pulled on the reigns, bringing the Nightwalker to a stop. “I have NOT gained weight.” Jaeden said defensively. “You take that back!”

Jaeden continued riding forward, reaching the clearing eventually. A subtle grunt was given as he slid down off of Fortunado, leaning against him for a moment. “Gods, my ass still hurts after riding for a short while.” Jaeden said before he blinked a couple of times. “That sort of sounded wrong.”

Jaeden eventually shook his head, pulling a few items bundled up along the back of Fortunado’s saddle, setting them down to the ground for a moment. Reaching into his saddle bag then, Jaeden pulled out a bag of feed and a small sack for the horse to feed from. A few chimes passed by as Jaeden half leaded along Fortunado’s neck, holding the sack out while he fed. When Fortunado had finished, Jaeden let him roam, grazing where he may, though the Nightwalker never strayed beyond eyeshot of Jaeden.

Jaeden moved to the other end of the clearing as he carried the bundle he had pulled from Fortunado’s saddle in his arm. When he had reached the other end, a small stand was pulled out first, as a tripod of legs were extended and impaled into the ground. Jaeden the pulled a small practice target from the bundle next as his fingers began to work over small twine, fixing the target securely to the stand. When he was finished, he took one more look around to make sure that Fortunado, and no one else for that matter, was too close to the target before making his way back to the other end of the clearing.

Jaeden began rolling his head around slowly as he then first began slipping a wrist guard along his left forearm, looking towards the target every now and then. He then pulled his composite longbow free from his shoulder, taking a couple of test pulls along the string. Pulling an arrow free from his quiver, Jaeden then gave a quick look to Fortunado as he notched the arrow into the string. “Just keep over in that area, buddy.” Jaeden called out to Fortunado as he slowly raised the bow. “I’m not excellent in the use of bows yet.”

Jaeden then exhaled slightly, drawing the string back, the muscle along his arms going slightly taught from the force required. His eyes narrowed as he began slowly breathing in and out, bringing the practice target into focus along the other side of the clearing. He lined the target up with the tip of the arrow head, slowing his breathing down still. Finally, with one last exhale, he released as the string of the bow forced all the tension forward, sending the arrow hurtling through the air as it whispered out, cutting through the winds. Only a couple short seconds passed before it pierced into the target with a slight “thunk,” running through the dense straw and fabric that made up the inside of the target. It was the beginning of Jaeden’s practice for this day, and things seemed almost peaceful.

"If I were to stop and take in the gravity of any serious situation I'm in, I'd likely fall to my knees from being overwhelmed by it. Things become much easier to deal with if you simply make jokes."
Jaeden Kincade
Disco Jae

Words: 824662
Joined roleplay: January 29th, 2010, 2:10 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Author (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Advocate (1)
Power Fork (1)

Postby Kelpie on July 1st, 2010, 7:13 am

Indeed it was a fine day for Jaeden to be up and about training and practicing, in fact it was quite an auspicious day. Many a traveler have much to fear in the Wildlands, for to risk it meant imminent death in one form or another, but those who tread lightly and always aware, often times some fortune would come of it. Here now was Jaeden’s turn in the luck of the draw.

The sound of cracking twigs and crushed leaves echoed throughout the woods. There was that familiar sound of wood striking soil, and the creaking that came with it. Not a few chimes later, the large looming form of a caravan came into Jaeden’s view from the opposite corner of the clearing, led by a team of two horses and a relatively young driver at the reins. But the caravan was not the most interesting thing in the lot. No, it was most certainly the hunters that surrounded it. Five in all; all men, and all with muscles that oozed strength and confidence.
They had spotted Jaeden from afar, and the chides and guffaws that emanated from the males was loud enough to frighten even the tiniest critters away. From among them came an older man, with eyes the color of the foliage that donned the trees and a scraggly beard that reached just below his chest. He was dressed in hunter’s attire, with a characteristic hat atop his head which he often nudged out of pure habit.

“Hail, traveler!” Came his ebullient greeting. A grin plastered his face as he approached Jaeden. “I see ye’re practicing archery. Any good?” A pause as he slapped his knee in a chuckle. “Don’t answer that, of course ye are! Look at those muscles, boy! Where are my manners, the names Brok, and this here’s me traveling contest-holding ragtag group of boys.” Brok gestured towards the rest, who waved heartily in response. “Say, boy…” He leaned closer, “You interested in a contest by any chance? There could be good money in it for you.”
Kelpie
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Words: 144278
Joined roleplay: June 21st, 2010, 1:27 am
Location: DS of Lhavit, Mod abilities in Lhavit and Unforgiving
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Jaeden Kincade on July 1st, 2010, 9:35 am

Jaeden, notched another arrow, raising the bow once again as he drew the string back. His eyes narrowed once again, raising the arrows tip slightly more to compensate for the distance, the last arrow having hit the target a little low. His breathing slowed again, as his grip along his bow steadied. When another slow exhale left his lungs, Jaeden released, sending another arrow flying as it buried itself into the target, penetrating slightly higher than the last.

His bow was lowered slightly as he heard the snaps of the twigs and the steady creeks and whines of a wagon riding along its wheels over the uneven terrain of the forest. Another arrow as slowly notched into his bow as he turned his head slowly at the approaching sound, readying the bow in the event that whatever came, wasn’t friendly. When the wagon surrounded by hunters came into view of the foliage. He slowly turned, lowering his bow to his side. A slow sigh and slight shake of his head was given as their laughs echoed through the forest. His eyes traveled over each of them, examining vis

His gaze then fell on the older man. A hunter of seemingly fair experience, evident by his walk and the look behind his green eyes. The arrow was pulled from Jaeden’s bow, held gingerly in one hand as he brought the lower end of the bow to rest along the ground, as one arm draped over the upper curve, watching the old man approach. His hearty greeting a quick laugh at Jaeden’s expense brought a smirk to Jaeden’s mouth. “A fair morning to you, Brok.” Jaeden replied, slipping a quick hand over his brow where sweat from the sweltering summer day. “My name is Jaeden Kincade. Your boys make quite a bit of noise for hunters. That’s the sort of habit they should cut back on, lest a barkbear begin stalking them for use of increasing it’s fat stores for it’s hibernation come fall.”

Fortunado then stepped back out from the nearby foliage, looking to both Jaeden and the group. Jaeden gave a slow nudge of his head as the horse circled around near them, and began grazing. Jaeden slowly turned back towards the target, notching the arrow once again as he drew back the string to his bow. Aiming carefully, he listened to Brok’s words before loosing another arrow, sinking into the target. “Well, depends on the contest, rules and the money offered, of course.” Jaeden said, looking back to Brok as he reached for another arrow. “Just what did you have in mind?”

"If I were to stop and take in the gravity of any serious situation I'm in, I'd likely fall to my knees from being overwhelmed by it. Things become much easier to deal with if you simply make jokes."
Jaeden Kincade
Disco Jae

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Power Fork (1)

Postby Kelpie on July 2nd, 2010, 5:05 am

Brok eyed Jaeden curiously, then chuckled at his response. “There ain’t no need to fear when the whole team is here!” He snorted, “Well woudya look at that, I’m a poet. But that aside, boy, we’ve got plenty of opportunities for ye to get as much gold as ye want.” At the word “gold,” Brok brought his fingers up in front of his face and rubbed his forefinger and his thumb together, as if for emphasis. “With only jus’ a five gold miza fee, ye see, for all the supplies needed for the contest of course, we set ye loose to neutralize thirty animals in three bells! We have the animals, so there’s no need to truly go lookin for them. Put those archery skills to good use and ye can win upwards to fifty gold mizas! Whatdya say, boy?”

The four other hunters cheered and egged Jaeden on from their position near the caravan, even so much as flipping some coins in the air to prove that they weren’t bluffing. Brok grinned and slapped Jaeden on the back heartily. “The gold’s awaitin’.” Then shuffled back toward the rest of the crew. “If you make up yer mind, we’ll be settin’ up here.” He called back. The men began taking crates out from the back of the caravan that emanated sounds of hissing and whining, implying animals. They were stacked in neat piles, with small holes drilled into the wood for air, but which were often covered by a furry paw or two.
Kelpie

Office
Scrapbook
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Jaeden Kincade on July 2nd, 2010, 6:55 am

Jaeden looked over the group of hunters, seeing their gung ho demeanor as Brok commented on the safety in numbers line. A slight snort was given as he tapped his arrow along his leg, a slight smirk crossing his lips. “Okay, we’ll go with that for now.” Jaeden said as he raised his bow for a moment, looking over the string for frays that might have been forming.

He then slipped the arrow back into his quiver before his hand dipped into his belt pouch, pulling out a cube of bee’s wax. His gaze dropped downward as he began sliding the wax cube over the string, listening to Brok explain the contest and what went into it. He slowly looked over to the other hunters as the began letting out taunts and flicking mizas’ in the air. A soft chuckle escaped from his lips as he slipped the wax back into the belt pouch, examining the bow string once again before shaking his head. “I could make at least three times as much hunting down a bull elk and selling off it‘s meat in Syliras.” Jaeden replied, observing the animal crates the men were beginning to unload. “As well, I would likely only need to risk three arrows at most to do it, and no mizas.”

“Besides, I don’t really hunt for sport. Unless you count Slavers.” Jaeden explained as he pulled the arrow from his quiver once again. “I either do it for a living, or to make sure I don’t starve. Sport hunting, well that’s the sort of thing that sometimes gets on Caiyha’s nerves, and I for one don’t feel like pissing off the Goddess of nature.”

Jaeden then gave a tout whistle, calling Fortunado over closer to him in the event this contest would go on without him. He wanted to make sure that his horse wouldn’t be shot in the cross fire of hunters rushing their shots. “Just hope you run your contestants one at a time.” Jaeden replied, drawing back another arrow as he began aiming at the target once again, keeping his arm still even more this time when he loosed the arrow, steadying the shot even further. “Hunting isn’t something that shouldn’t be rushed, after all. When it is, accidents tend to happen more easily.”

Jaeden Kincade
Disco Jae

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Power Fork (1)

Postby Kelpie on July 2nd, 2010, 7:24 am

Brok merely shrugged at Jaeden, seemingly unperturbed by his decision on the matter. “Suit yerself boy! If you want to come a knockin’ some beasties, we’ll be here!” And so the men went about folding out a makeshift stand for passing travelers, and in the coming chimes there were some interested individuals with not a care in the world and a few mizas to spare. Brok would holler out the beginning of the contest, men would line up, and he would hand them a bow and thirty arrows. Then on a whistle, the four other hunters released the animals in the crates and allowed them to flee for a good minute or so before signaling for the contestants to begin their search.

The day went on normally for Jaeden as he practiced his archery. He was neither bothered, nor did anything come to him in the passing bells. Brok occasionally came back to him to ask him if he wished to join them, but in the end he returned to the caravan, plenty content with jesting with his fellow colleagues and counting the arrows of finished contestants. They usually returned with their catch, as was stated from the beginning, but something was oddly off about them. There was something usually tied tightly around their neck or around their paws, a restriction of some sort, as if they were pets rather than wild animals.

Not fifteen chimes after the first contestant had arrived, something knocked into Jaeden’s leg, a small, scruffy looking fox with large fearful eyes and a large collar strapped around it’s neck. It convulsed violently at the sound of an angry, gruff man approaching from the woods behind it. “Hey, that’s my kill! You trying to take it from me?” As if in response, the fox darted in-between Jaeden’s legs, curling itself up tightly into a ball as if to disappear. The man approached swiftly, a bow in one hand, two arrows in another, eyeing Jaeden warily. “You in the contest, or just standing around for petch’s sake? Get out of my way, that beast is mine.”

The man was tall, perhaps 6'4" in height, and was bald, with an angry look plastered on his face as if he was born such a way.
Kelpie

Office
Scrapbook
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Jaeden Kincade on July 2nd, 2010, 7:56 am

Jaeden’s eyes dropped down to the fox for a moment, slowly releasing the tension on the arrow he had drawn. His head tilted slightly, looking into the Fox’s eyes and observing the collar. His eyes rolled slightly then, looking back to the wagon. “They’re not even wild animals. This isn’t even sport.” Jaeden mumbled slightly under his breath.

Jaeden’s eyes then turned slightly as the gruff shouting from a would-be hunter caught his attention. The large bald man coming out of the woods, his brow knotted up, the veins popping along the top of his bald head. When he began yelling at Jaeden, Jaeden simply raised his bow, loosing an arrow quickly. It went flying through the air, zipping past the angry man’s head, the feather’s of the arrow brushing along the lower lobe of his ear as it sunk into the target behind him. Jaeden reached into his quiver once again, pulling out another arrow as he looked to the man, a blank expression on his face. “You’re standing in the way of my target, and your loud mouth is getting on my nerves.” Jaeden said as he began notching the arrow, somewhat surprised that he didn‘t actually shoot the man‘s ear off. “You know where this one is, and it doesn’t seem to be going anywhere. So why don’t you focus on the others that are getting further from your already inept ability to hunt before you actually piss me off and I decide you’re worth my time enough to put an arrow through your head or the tip of my sword through your heart?”

As if to put an exclamation point on what he just said, Jaeden began drawing back the string of his bow again, leveling it towards the target the large man had stormed in front of.

Jaeden Kincade
Disco Jae

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Power Fork (1)

Postby Kelpie on July 3rd, 2010, 6:34 am

The bumbling man’s eyes bulged at Jaeden’s response. “Is that a threat, boy?!” He bellowed, gripping the knife he held to his belt in a display of aggression. He stomped forward, knocking Jaedan’s bow aside swiftly, as if his large form was deceptive, and in reality he was rather quick on his feet. “Don’t think I can tear you apart, you little whelp.” He spat, and for good measure, he aimed a solid kick to the fox between Jaeden’s legs, which yelped in pain and shivered even more. “Your little attitude will get you killed.”

A brief second passed before the bald man shoved Jaeden against the bark of the tree with his solid arms and held the dagger up in a stance that implied an oncoming brawl. “I ain’t playing games now, COME AT ME.” His face reddened, fingers clutched tightly on the hilt as his eyes locked directly onto Jaeden’s. Meanwhile the fox skittered behind a fallen log, watching both of the men with fast intakes of breath. From such a close proximity, attempting to raise his bow and strike would be the death of him, however, any blade that was on his person was eyed warily by the brute, as he licked his lips in anticipation.
Kelpie

Office
Scrapbook
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Jaeden Kincade on July 3rd, 2010, 7:14 am

Jaeden’s back hit the tree with a slight thud as he let out a resounding sigh, looking up at the bald man. He shook his head slightly, looking to the fox for a moment. “You got issues, fella.” Jaeden said as then looked to his shoulder, brushing off debris that had fallen from the tree.

His gaze then lifted to the bald man as he pulled his dagger, challenging Jaeden to fight. Jaeden rolled his eyes slightly, letting the tip of his bow fall to the ground. He looked to the knife for a moment before looking up to the man. “Well, if you really want to do this?” Jaeden said as his right hand dropped idly to his waist.

He then let a moment of silence pass by between the two of them, keeping his eyes locked with the bald man. After almost a half of a chime had passed, Jaeden’s brow knotted up slightly as his head tilted, his gaze looking past the aggressor for a moment. “Oh great. Puma.” Jaeden said in a disappointed tone, motioning past the man with a nudge of his head.

Whether the man looked or not, Jaeden took a step forward, his foot suddenly rising to kick between the bald man’s legs and into his crotch. His right hand, at the same moment, swiftly reached to the hilt of his sword, grasping it tightly. One fluid motion was then made as Jaeden’s sword was drawn and swung, the tip of his longsword swinging at the bald man’s throat, looking to cut deep.

Jaeden Kincade
Disco Jae

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Power Fork (1)

Postby Kelpie on July 3rd, 2010, 8:52 am

Indeed he had issues. He had many many issues, and Jaeden proved to be one of them. He spat a large glob of saliva on the soil before grinding it down with his foot. He smirked at the younger hunter, wiping his mouth with the back of his meaty fist. “It’s just the half of it, pretty boy.” He growled.

His bloodshot eyes darted from Jaeden’s eyes to his hand, a brow quirked in curiosity. Then a loud chuckle, “Trying to intimidate me are you?” He cried, bringing his puny dagger up to point straight at his face. “Don’t think I’ll go easy on you now. Dead meat is what you are.” Eyes widened in sudden confusion at Jaeden’s words. Puma! His head jerked in the direction indicated by Jaeden, but his intent would not meet with victory.

The brute bent over and howled in agony, and the sheer agility he held after the initial blow and the flash of the blade forced him to stumble back, leaving him with just a mere scratch on his neck that oozed small ounces of blood. Jaeden had missed out of pure dumb misfortune. The bald gorilla, however, with tears brimming in his eyes and hand clutching his package, ground his teeth together.

“YOU WILL PAY FOR THAT, BOY!” He bellowed, charging with all the force he could muster into his toned legs to thrash Jaeden to the ground. The clever fox that had been hiding in the corner, however, had gathered enough courage to dart out of her position behind the rotting log and clamped her tiny fangs onto the exposed portion of the man’s leg. He yelped in response, but a few inches away from Jaeden, arms held wide, and fumbling about in agony. But the fox continued her stranglehold on his ankle, gnawing, chewing and scraping sharp canines against flesh, to distract him as long as she could for the benefit of Jaedan. Whether he took the opportunity or not was his decision.
Kelpie

Office
Scrapbook
Trailblazer (1)

Next