Closed Game for a Hunt? [Pyren]

Sliver and Pyren go out to catch game for the Icewatch

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This northernmost city is the home of Morwen, The Goddess of Winter, and her followers who dwell year round in a land of frozen wonder. [Lore]

Game for a Hunt? [Pyren]

Postby Sliver on May 10th, 2013, 12:24 pm

14th of Spring, 513 A.V.

Sliver woke slowly. There were no set patrols for her, no training in the Tundra Stadium, which meant she had a sort of free day, as it were. Technically there was no such thing, for there was always something to do being an Icewatch guard, but it did mean she got to sleep in, and boy did she enjoy sleeping in.

She was in wolverine form that morning, and as the light began philtering in through slitted windows the creature grumbled and snuffled, crawling deeper int he blankets than rolling over upon her back, falling back into a strange snoring stupor for about another bell.

Then of course she shifted, got dressed, combed her fingers through lengthening hair and went and got some breakfast. The choices of meat that morning were fairly slim in the Mess Hall, and Sliver's interest was piqued as she heard two the Winterflame cooks discussing a potential hunting trip, just sending out a couple groups at a time. Something to consider as she sat herself down and began tucking into an egg filled turnover and some broiled vegetables.

She was quiet and thoughtful that morning. She saw the twins, Kennen and Simon, and gave a wave, but she hadn't been visiting with them as much lately, perhaps just because it reminded her of what she didn't have. Sliver knew it was ridiculous, that they were her friends and it was all her own doing that prevented her from just enjoying their company...but still she had been finding that lately...she much preferred being alone, even if that wasn't actually the case.

With these thoughts in mind she emptied her plate and returned it to the chefs, making her way slowly out of the barracks. She opened the great doors, though, and stopped rather startled, for there was a man she had never seen before, tall, a shortbow slung over his back, and certainly not one of the regular guards. The Kelvic was tempted to walk right by him and go about her business, perhaps a work out or a short run...but instead she spoke.

"Can I help you?"

Last edited by Sliver on May 11th, 2013, 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sliver
Do I look like a woman who exaggerates?

Words: 358206
Joined roleplay: May 11th, 2012, 6:26 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) Power Fork (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Game for a Hunt? [Pyren]

Postby Pyren Frostfawn on May 11th, 2013, 5:27 pm

Pyren looked upon the Icewatch barracks and training area in awe. He had always wanted to be a member of Icewatch since he was a small child. It seemed like a wondrous job, protecting the Vantha and people of Avanthal. Serving the community by protecting it. Doing good for Avanthal was all Pyren wanted to do, however that meant. He sighed as he looked at the Icewatch, he feared he wouldn't get a leg in to prove himself. Even if he could get a leg in he wasn't near skilled enough to prove youseful. Pyren was a novice at best at most everything and he thought to himself that he offered nothing special for the Icewatch to have a want for him.

Pyren was just about ready to leave when he saw someone coming his way. She was dressed in very dark leather, tattoos and piercings riddled her body and she had a serious piercing gaze that seemed to peer into your soul and wrench it from your body for examination. She was definitely an unusual sight by anyone's definition in Avanthal. Pyren certainly never saw anything like the woman in the city, though he never had visited anywhere else besides Avanthal. Pyren wasn't frightened of this woman, but she seemed to carry a feeling about her that made him nervous.

Pyren decided not to show this anxious or nervous and seemingly unreasonable emotion to her, though he did leave his bow hand relaxed and ready to grab his bow and arrow if the need arised. Again this seemed un needed to him and odd he would feel this way. "No, I was just watching the Icewatch train. It's always been a dream of mine to join them, protect Avanthal. Though I know I'm not skilled enough right now and I don't have anything special to offer them yet." He said being honest with his reasons. He felt no reason to conceal the truth from this woman, and even if he did he rarely ever lied.
Last edited by Pyren Frostfawn on May 11th, 2013, 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pyren Frostfawn
Player

Words: 25244
Joined roleplay: May 8th, 2013, 1:23 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Game for a Hunt? [Pyren]

Postby Sliver on May 11th, 2013, 5:39 pm

The Kelvic sized the man up. He was wiry, taller than she, and despite his honest words, had a weathered look about him that one got from combat. She guessed he was Frostfawn, since they were the most apt with weapons, but the guard had learned that making assumptions wasn't always the best way to go. He was attractive as well, and there was something comfortable about his demeanor, though she couldn't place her claw on it.

"The fact that you know you need training says a lot for your skill. We can always improve, and you be no means have to be a master of the wilds to join the Icewatch." Her lips twitched in a smirk. "Morwen knows I'm not anything close."

She extended a hand with nails a bit too sharp. "I am Sliver, Kelvic and Icewatch Guard, and it is nice to meet you..." She paused allowing time for the man to respond, giving his appendage a firm shake.

"Do you come here often to watch the training?" She was curious. Most she met were not very interested int eh Icewatch, more so in their own Holds. While it was a respected position, she sometimes felt the Icewatch stood apart, and that Winter had not been a fun time for the police force of Avanthal.

Sliver

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Game for a Hunt? [Pyren]

Postby Pyren Frostfawn on May 11th, 2013, 5:53 pm

He smiled as he looked upon her clawed hand. He had not seen a weapon on her which made him a little curious. The woman was definitely muscular though it didn't seem she carried a sword or knife or any ranged weapon on her person. The claws told some of the story. She obviously used those quite a bit in battle, they seemed sharpened exactly for that purpose. One other thing, if a human had claws it told him something about them. Kelvic. There were dozens of kelvic around the Frostfawn hold he grew up in and by no means was the word Kelvic a foreign word to him. Besides her obviously formidable demeanor she seemed to have an intriguing dark sort of beauty to her.

Pyren grasped her clawed hand firmly giving it a hearty shake. The claws dug into his skin a little but it was strangely a comfortable feeling. He always seemed at home with animals and kelvic alike. Theya lways seemed straight forward, animals didn't hide their feelings or lie. From his experiences, Kelvics seemed to rarely do so as well since they were so closely joined to the natural world. "Nice to meet you too. Pyren Frostfawn, archer and bird of prey trainer extraordinare...minus the last part. Just a novice in each really." He said adding a little humor to his introduction. "Well no, this would be only my third time watching them train. Might explain why I haven't seen you in the city a lot...or ever" he smiled warmly. The distant clash of swords and arrows hitting marks added a backdrop of noise to this spontaneous meeting of the two.
Pyren Frostfawn
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Game for a Hunt? [Pyren]

Postby Sliver on May 12th, 2013, 2:05 pm

So both of their assumptions had turned out correct...well when one spent enough time in the Everwinter City, certain details became readily apparent about it's occupants. She approved of the firm handshake, and gave a little smile as their hands separated.

"No I suppose not. I do patrol the city often, but my shifts are always changing, and I've only been here for...well almost a year now, so no surprise we haven't met before."

Her eyes lit up with interest. "Falconer? Sounds interesting." The wolverine had always had a fascination with creatures of the air, probably because she was such a stolid thing of the ground. As she decided she might as well pester Pyren for more information, two individuals opened the great doors behind her. She recognized the bonded pair, the large and muscular female...Shook, was a ferocious fighter, and her Vantha bondmate had belonged to Whitevine, interestingly enough he was one of the better field medics, which made the bonded couple a strangely effective team. The Vantha...perhaps his name was Haryn? His eyes turned a light teal as they set upon Sliver, holding up a hand of greeting.

"Well met, Sliver." The Kelvic inclined her head.

"Actually..." The pair looked about to move past Sliver and Pyren, but he paused. "You might be just the Kelvic for the job. The Winterflame's are complaining that the meat stores are low, we're sending out a few pairs to go out hunting for game, think you could find one of the new recruits to pair up with?"

Pyren would notice a definite change in demeanor in the dark haired Kelvic standing next to him. Her relaxed posture stiffened, eyebrows furrowing somewhat, and then she clapped Pyren on the back. "Actually, Pyren here is looking to train to get into the Icewatch himself, and he's an archer, perhaps he will be willing to go hunting out in the wastes with me?"

As she spoke the last part, three pairs of eyes turned tot eh Frostfawn, all with questions hanging in them. Sliver's mahogany eyes were filled with the smallest measure of desperation, but she added... "Of course, we've only just met...you do not have to if you don't wish to."

Sliver

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Game for a Hunt? [Pyren]

Postby Pyren Frostfawn on May 13th, 2013, 2:25 am

He smiled, well a year in the city was enough. Though he was surprised the woman would have been accepted by the Icewatch if she were a resident but a year. She must have been an exceptionally skilled woman and Kelvic for that matter. "Well, I said before I am but a novice. I'm also interested in training other animals but I have no skill in the art of training anything but birds of prey I fear." He said humbly, as it was the truth. He had only ever been given a elderly ,already trained, hawk from his father.

His attention almost immediatly turned to the pair that had drawn attention to themselves. To Pyren's eyes he didn't see the man as much of a threat or a fighter. Yet, he could be wrong. The female however seemed a formidable force ready to pounce at a moments notice if any danger presented itself. It was merely a feeling but Pyren seemed to think it was spot on. This was one fact that told him something was a bit off about the atmosphere of the situation.

There was one other thing that told Pyren there was soemthing off was Sliver's reaction to the two. It seemed she tensed up something fierce. The once relaxed a comfortable Kelvic was now a stiff and rigid figure. It was a sudden and startling change only to be attributed to the two newcomers' presence. This...and the fact that when she spoke to Pyren there was something in her voice that spoke a need of some sort. He couldn't quite place the emotion but it was definitely there. A strong need of hers for Pyren to...he didn't know...maybe just to respond. "Of course, I am very capable of accompanying Sliver on a hunting trip. We will be back before a single stomach has a need for food in the Icewatch" he said with about as much confidence he could muster up in the presence of two Icewatch members, presumably higher ranking by the way they referred to newer recruits.
Pyren Frostfawn
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Game for a Hunt? [Pyren]

Postby Sliver on May 13th, 2013, 12:53 pm

The Kelvic almost gave an audible sigh of relief, but managed to hold it back. Haryn raised an eyebrow. "Are you sure, Sliver? You do not know this man's skills."

"You need not chide me." Her voice rose a little. "This is a hunting trip not a expedition, it will be good to test out a prospective." She was also trying to display a confidence she didn't feel. All she wanted was to have a patrol with someone who wasn't looking to bond. The pain of seeing all the new recruits match up like mating birds was a bit too painful for the older Kelvic to stand. Haryn just gave the slightest of nods, and walked off. Sliver turned to Pyren.

"I cannot thank you enough for helping...I know that was...I apologize." She looked away and gestured for him to follow her. "Let me pack some things. Do you need anything before we depart?" She spoke as her body wound down the long stone hallway of the Icewatch barracks, stopping in her small room. Pyren could see how simply the Icewatch lived, each room was masterfully crafted, no Iceglaze would have any less, but there were just two beds set into the walls, a few shelves and a dresser a piece. The half of the room where someone else, a bondmate might live, was a bit dusty and unlived in, as Sliver sorted through a dresser and packed a bag in which her pup tent was attached. She didn't anticipate an overnight int he wilderness, but it always helped to be prepared.

Once she was finished she turned to him, head cocked to the side. "Are you married?" She felt like she always asked this question, but even when Vantha seemed quite young they always seemed to have a spouse of some sort. It was also a very good way to keep the conversation on him and off of her. She paused, trying to consider if that had been blunt or rude, and not knowing if it was. "It just seems that everyone is..." She said absentmindedly, walking towards the doorway and waiting to see if he need go anywhere before they left.

Sliver

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Game for a Hunt? [Pyren]

Postby Pyren Frostfawn on May 13th, 2013, 9:19 pm

Pyren didn't take offense to the pair of Icewatch members questioning his abilities. The fact was, Pyren wasn't the greatest hunter out there anyway. In most every aspect he was but a novice. But hey they didn't know that. He said nothing as Sliver spoke and convinced the pair to let Pyren join in with her. He still was a little lost on what kind of situation he had found himself in. It seemed the three Icewatch members had a little history.

Pyren heard the dark haired Kelvic apologize...for what he didn't understand. "Yeah. If you don't mind me asking...what was that all about?" He said jerking his head back indicating the two Icewatch members that had just taken off. He followed her to her small accomodations which apparently were her living quarters. "No, as long as I have a bow and arrow I'm fine for hunting anything above the size of a large rabbit or badger. if it's rabbits or any kind of rodents I need my trapping equipment back near the Frostfawn vintana." He said thinking about his hunting supplies. He knew enough to have the basic supplies for hunting based on the size of the animal. The rabbits around here would easily evade any attempt at hunting with weapons.

He started to look around the living quarters of the Kelvic when his eyes spotted the dust ridden bunk. He didn't know nearly enough about the Icewatch to infer anything about this but found it odd none the less. Maybe the Icewatch were understaffed right now. His thoughts were stopped dead in his own mind when the Kelvic asked, what he thought, was a very personal and intrusive question. He had never thought about marriage at all. After all there wasn't anyone to push him into finding a bride after his father passed when Pyren was eighteen. He decided to once again be honest with Sliver, he turned to her and replied. "No, I'm not married. I'm not even seeing anyone to be honest. How about you? He said, while he was being honest he might as well turn the question back at her. It might have been rude to ask the same question to her but at the very least it might offer some insight to the new aquaintance.
Pyren Frostfawn
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Game for a Hunt? [Pyren]

Postby Sliver on May 14th, 2013, 12:52 am

The Kelvic paused in her movements as he asked her precisely what was going on. "I...well...its a long story, but it is the least I can offer for helping..." She was tense once more, but then the Icewatch guard gave a little sigh, gesturing to the empty bed. "I am not yet bonded, a very strange occurrence for a Kelvic in the Icewatch."

She turned away, packing her bag as she continued to speak. "I am continuously paired with new Vantha recruits in the hopes that I will bond, it is how the Icewatch works, after all...it just...hasn't worked out yet." Her voice was strained as she rose, pack over her back, and she smiled at him. "So it is nice to know that I can hunt and not feel...as if I am being set up, as it were."

Since he didn't require any supplies, Sliver figured the two might as well head out, though she paused when he replied, studying his frame. It seemed strange to her, he was tall, strapping if you were into that sort of thing. It seemed strange that Pyren's parents hadn't married him off already, wasn't that what they did? But enough rude questions for one day. As he turned the question back on her the Kelvic snorted.

"Married? I am Kelvic, what use have we for such a thing...no...all we seek is a bond." She smirked and began walking down the hallways outside into the brisk Spring air, taking a deep refreshing lungful before walking toward the City entrance. "Thank you again for this...I do not always realize if I am being rude, but I believe this is one of those cases..." She winked at him, and when they approached the guards on duty she called them by name, stating their business in the wilds. "If we do not come back before night we will camp out, but I do not know if we will need to take that much time." One of the massive bears gave a nod, and then Pyren and Sliver emerged into the blanket of white that was the Talderan Tundra. Sliver did not jog, but kept her walking at a brisk pace across the packed snow and ice, keeping astride of Pyren.

Sliver

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Game for a Hunt? [Pyren]

Postby Pyren Frostfawn on May 14th, 2013, 1:36 am

He nodded in understanding. Arranged marriages wern't that uncommon in Vantha family's. Neither were the situations Sliver was talking about. If his parents hadn't passed before he came of age he would have probably been pushed to marry some pretty young icemaiden. She mentioned a bonding. He didn't exactly know what that was. He knew about Kelvics of course being a Frostfawn and growing up around them almost constantly. However, he didn't really know the intricacies of Kelvic societies. Really he just knew they shifted from animal to human and back again.

"Well, why don't you tell me about your bond. What is it? What's a bondmate? Sorry I really don't know that much about Kelvics. I've never really had a personal connection to any of you before. He said. He never missed an opportunity to educate himself after all. Aside from that if he didn't know something he was sure to know it shortly.

He listened further as the Kelvic explained that they don't get married. "Sorry...I tend to be inquisitive about everything. Why don't you get married? It shouldn't matter if you're Kelvic right? As long as you love someone and all that. That's all that matters. Might be naiive but there you have it." He said, explaining his own views while asking about hers. "And please, it's my pleasure. Any excuse to hunt is a fine excuse enough for me. Well...maybe it wasn't rude just a bit personal. Though I don't care many others probably would."

Though Pyren didn't show it he was concerned aboutt he last thing the Kelvic said before they entered the frozen landscape. He didn't have much experince in surviving the wilds. He couldn't last more than a single night camped out if that. He had never gotten frostbite...but tongiht may be his first case. In any circumstance he was not goign to reveal his fears to someone he perceived as being strong, like the Kelvic before him. He wasn't sure on that fact...it might have been just the way she carried herself that gave him that impression. He smiled warmly at the large dire polar bears that gaurded the Icewall and preceded to follow Sliver out into the cold landscape hoping the night wouldn't end in him developing a sickness from his ill preparedness.
Pyren Frostfawn
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next