Into the Blue [Kovac]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Into the Blue [Kovac]

Postby Amon on July 1st, 2010, 6:09 pm

Timestamp: 18th of Summer 510AV
Purpose: Hunting with Kovac, awesome fun times of course!

Have you gone daft?

“Whatever do you mean, my loving and accepting, Sakima?"

Oh don’t play games with me, Amon. You know what I’m talking about.

“If you would enlighten me I’d be on your level.”

A feathery sigh breezed through Amon’s mind at the response.

Why are you forcing me to take that ingrate on my back, HMMM?

“Well if you’d rather fly in circles around Mt. Skyinarta for hours then please be my guest.”

Fine I’ll do just that, really.

“Sakima…”

Sometimes I don’t understand you. Really, I feel like you left your brain out in the clouds.

“Thank you. I appreciate the compliment.”

A smile curved on Amon’s lips as he stepped into the Eagle Aeries. The day had been long spent in the Valintar after a brawl had erupted in the Courtyard of the Sky. He had been a witness, and also a neutralizer of both. Perhaps if it had been friendly wrestling without the shanks, he might have offered to join in, but as it were, he couldn’t just merely sit by and watch two promising young men tear themselves apart.

Now even before that, after meeting Kovac in the First Thaw Festival, he found the man in need of some serious relaxation and a proper lesson in manners. Of course, he didn’t necessarily reveal this fact when they began to speak. No, after the denizens of the city had left for the night he approached the other and offered to take him hunting. Perhaps a little lesson, or perhaps just a heart to heart talk. He realized the boy had some serious issues with Endal (or rather the incredibly notorious ones who abused their power), and Amon wanted to shed some light on the fact that not all of them were as bad as he believed.

I would like to remind you that you’re perfectly capable of the bow even without that arrogant half-blood.

“You’re STILL going on about that? You don’t have to talk to him, just stay quiet if you wish.”

Oh I will.

Amon rolled his eyes and promptly began to secure his katinu, the strap across his shoulders to tighten the quiver behind his back and the helpful strap of leather to his forehead complete with a clear glass to protect his eyes. He would wait for Kovac for as long as he wished, but every chime that passed furthered to aggravate the albino Wind Eagle waiting on the ledge.
Amon
Team One-Eye

Words: 68449
Joined roleplay: May 30th, 2010, 10:52 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Into the Blue [Kovac]

Postby Kovac on July 2nd, 2010, 12:25 pm

Kovac stood in front his door. He propelled his head the last few inches until it thudded against the wood. Why am I doing this?

Amon had started the whole thing at the end of the First Thaw Festival. Kovac had chafed at the Rider's well-intentioned attempts to take him under his wing. Though Amon was just a couple years older, by his account, the Endal seemed to have taken on this big brother or mentor thing of which he would not relent. Kovac found it condescending. The only thing that kept the cynical Avora from telling the Rider to jump off the Lookout without an eagle was that Amon seemed genuinely willing to ignore every barbed attempt Kovac made to discourage him. That intrigued him. And then, there was the order of things in Wind Reach too.

After Amon stepped in to stop the brawl in the Courtyard of the Sky, the Rider convinced the Valinitar that perhaps he could help redirect the surly archer's aggression with some quality time. The conversation was held beyond earshot, but Kovac could see what was conspiring. So, the archer finally agreed to hunt with the persistent Rider, if only to avoid punishment.

With a sigh, Kovac picked up the quiver and bow and slung them over his shoulder, then took his katinu and scarf from a peg to drape over his arm. With only a few menacing glares at passersby who recognized him from the earlier fight, the Avora made his way without incident towards the Aeries. Every step closer increased his anxiety. Rarely were non-Endal permitted access to the Rider's homes, but Amon insisted that they meet at his residence.

Passing a few Riders and avoiding the unwelcomed stares, some real and some imagined, Kovac stepped into the spacious lair of Amon and the great albino wind eagle. Almost jittery from the grating discomfort of standing in the world of the Riders, the archer simply called out. "Alright, I am here."
Kovac
Snarky Mongrel

Words: 534544
Joined roleplay: March 1st, 2010, 7:19 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Into the Blue [Kovac]

Postby Amon on July 2nd, 2010, 11:33 pm

Amon, the whelp is here.

So he was. There was a slight pause in his actions as he turned to address the half-blood, who seemed well out of place amongst the homes of the Endal. Amon resisted the urge to smirk, and instead raised his arm up in greeting. “So you didn’t get lost, good job.” He grinned, striding forward to pat Kovac heartily on the back. “You look as if you just saw death incarnate. There’s nothing wrong with you up here if it’s for a good cause, Avora.” He moved forward towards the clear landing until he stood right by Sakima, who loomed over him like a watchful guardian.

“Let’s get this started, shall we? We’ll be hunting something more than just fish today, I want to see just exactly what you’re made of.” A smile curled on his lips as Sakima bent his head down to allow him the proper footage to grasp at the harness and pull himself upward. Securing his feet in the loops and tightening it as best he could, he motioned to Kovac to come closer. “No frowns or arrogance in front of Sakima, Kovac, or you just might find yourself without an arm. Get on, and make sure you’re strapped tight, I don’t want your death on my hands.”

He may have sounded callous, but the glint in his eye suggested he was merely jesting. Still, Sakima ruffled his feathers and let out a feathery chuckle.

I wouldn’t mind watching him fall to the depths of the Twin Lakes.

Hush and let him get on, will you?

The eagle complied, waiting with his large azure orb fixed on the Avora, an indicator of one wrong move and he would snap a limb off.
Amon
Team One-Eye

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Into the Blue [Kovac]

Postby Kovac on July 6th, 2010, 11:30 am

Kovac's lips tightened at Amon's typical condescending greeting. The gregarious man touched him, again, with that buddy-buddy pat on the back the Riders were so fond of giving one another. When Amon quipped, suggesting that the archer was somehow afraid to be in the Aeries, Kovac simply gave him a weak, poorly constructed smile.

He followed the Rider hesitantly, warily approaching Sakima. The Wind Eagles were huge, powerful and enigmatic. Though he had ridden with Riders regularly to travel to hunting sites, Kovac still found the great raptors intimidating. He respected them. Wind eagles did not betray one another.

When Amon remarked that he wanted to see what Kovac was 'made of', the archer's eyes darted to the strong rider. "So, this is some kind of test?" His tone was less of a true inquiry and more of a comment. "I hope I meet your approval." The hint of sarcasm in his words were unmistakable.

The redheaded Rider didn't have to admonish Kovac about Sakima's temperment, as the Avora had already kept his gaze from the giant mount's large eyes. After Amon had mounted, Kovac gave a reverent nod to Sakima, whose stare unnerved him. Slinging his short bow across his chest and ensuring that his quiver was secure, Kovac laid hold of the harness and hoisted himself onto the eagle's back. With careful precision the Avora made sure he was strapped in securely. He had had nightmares of falling from a Wind Eagle's back. But that did not diminish the thrill he felt when he rode the great birds.

With a bit of unintentional excitement Kovac spoke up. "I'm ready Rider. What are we hunting today, if not fish?"
Kovac
Snarky Mongrel

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Into the Blue [Kovac]

Postby Amon on July 7th, 2010, 6:38 am

“Test? You think I’m testing you?” Amon smirked then, unable to contain it at last. “I’ve heard so much of your arrogant attitude and your bad habits, I’ve come to see if you’re really just all talk.” Once Kovac had strapped himself in, he pat Sakima’s neck affectionately. “Let’s go.” With that said, the eagle pushed himself off the ledge with his powerful limbs, then twisted his body over the side and dove straight through the air. Not a half a chime into the fall and he immediately spread his enormous wings and lifted with the air currents, gliding effortlessly toward the valley below. Amon felt refreshed with the wind caressing his face and hair, and he glanced back at the half-blood with a crooked grin.

“You need to vent your anger out with something else, Kovac. You’re angry it seems, at least to me, all the time, and though I’m not sure why, I‘m positive you can‘t mean to be so downright cruel to people.” Sakima gently banked right, occasionally pushing his wings down to elevate his body upward. “We will hunt the mammals scattered throughout the valley. They’ll move fast, so you too, have to be quick. Think you can handle that?”

Not five chimes later, and the expanse of the land below stretched out toward the horizon. A breathtaking view, one that would always leave Amon breathless and with a sense of pride for his homeland and for his bonded feathery friend. However, Sakima sensed the inner fear that brew inside the half-blood, and the mischievous thoughts that swarmed his mind was not lost to Amon. He grinned.

Little morsel, do you think you can hold on and not fall to your death like a worthless monkey? Came the charming voice of Sakima in Kovac’s thoughts.

And with that said, the eagle swerved and dove once more, but this time with wings tucked tightly to his body for a freefall towards the ground. He circled through the air, faster, until the wind felt like daggers on skin, but it didn’t seem to faze Amon, who held tightly to the harness with gloved hands. Not thirty seconds later and Sakima shot his wings out and leveled once more, soaring at around 50 feet above the grass ridden ground.

What a shame, the eagle chirped. Amon adjusted the skewed quiver behind his back, then proceeded to scan their surroundings. “If you catch a glimpse, don’t hesitate to take your aim. We will close in on your call.” The Endal would let Kovac take the lead for now, if only to allow himself some off time.
Last edited by Amon on July 9th, 2010, 9:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Amon
Team One-Eye

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Into the Blue [Kovac]

Postby Kovac on July 9th, 2010, 12:17 pm

Kovac's heart jumped to his throat as Sakima leaped from the ledge to drop. He choked back a surprised cry, never knowing what to expect when an eagle took off.

His breathing steadied but Kovac's heart continued to pound as the eagle finally spread his wings, evened out and rode on the currents above the volcano. Of course Kovac had ridden many times before, the Riders delivering hunters to the hunting grounds while the Sanikas Road was choked with snow. But riding a Wind Eagle was always a thrill that kept him clinging to his sanity.

Amon turned to speak, and the archer leaned forward to catch his words over the whoosh of air. Amon seemed to have taken it upon himself to help reform the wayward archer. He was the first Endal, aside from Kellan, to show an interest in him as a person. It perplexed the cynical Avora, who would gauge Amon's intent as the hunt progressed. Kovac did not respond to Amon's remarks until the Enal asked if he was ready to hunt.

"Just get me to the game, Rider." Kovac spoke as he adjusted his scarf. He hoped his voice carried more confidence than his heart did. Kovac had never hunted from the back of an eagle.

They cleared the peaks and Kovac could see the landscape of the Sanikas Penninsula stretch out below them. The view was breathtaking, and Kovac clutched tighter to the riding harness as he marveled again at the scenery beneath them. Suddenly Sakima's sweetly taunting voice rang in his head.

Gods, he doesn't like me! Kovac fretted. Great, he not only offended the human residents of Wind Reach, but he seemed to equally irritate the avians as well. He held his tongue, not wanting to risk giving Sakima any reason to drop him like a rock.

When Sakima plummeted into a dive, Kovac did cry out, desperately gripping his straps. He had to squint as the cold air tore at his eyes, causing them to water. When the albino mount swooped back to soar just above the ground, Kovac dried his eyes with his scarf, caught his breath and pulled the bow off of his back. praying he would survive the day.

Scanning the land below, Kovac spotted a wide plain that migrating herds of elk often crossed. He tapped Amon on the shoulder and pointed off to the left at the open grassland. "Lets try over there!"
Kovac
Snarky Mongrel

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Into the Blue [Kovac]

Postby Amon on July 9th, 2010, 9:11 pm

Just like how breathtaking it was for Kovac to be riding upon a wind eagle, it never failed to excite Amon when he flew with his companion. Their bond was mesmerizing during flight, and the sheer strength he felt in Sakima’s wings as he glided through the air was fulfilling and refreshing. He grinned to himself, holding back the desire to shout out in sheer joy, and instead followed the direction Kovac directed him towards.

Ah, yes. The clearing where most mammals grazed amongst the sea of green. Sakima responded to him without the need of words, and swerved toward the left, the great shadow of the eagle enveloping the expanse of the land below.

You’re in luck, there is a large herd over there. At least the whelp has a sense of direction.

Amon nodded and relayed Sakima’s words to Kovac. “They’ll be startled when they see Sakima coming. They move fast, but we’ll move faster. That’s the tricky part, we’ll circle around to give you an opening to strike, but you have to be quick about it. Don’t waste arrows.” The last sentence was practically barked out at the Avora. He meant it, and as if to emphasis Sakima invaded Kovac’s thoughts once again.

Miss more than three times, and an arm is gone! A feathery chuckle rumbled through the eagle’s body, but if he meant it was uncertain, although the grin Amon held might have had some inclination. The herd below became startled as Sakima passed over head, and immediately began their stampede. The Wind Eagle’s gliding became slow, but the circle were continues with wide turns made for Kovac’s benefit.

“Show me what you’ve got, Avora!”
Amon
Team One-Eye

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Into the Blue [Kovac]

Postby Kovac on July 11th, 2010, 11:51 am

Kovac spotted the elk herd that Sakima had seen. The archer listened carefully to Amon's instructions soberly. This was not a time for sarcasm or snide remarks. He took his work seriously, and intended to impress this Endal and his ill-tempered mount. He replied loudly, "Got it."

Kovac tightened his legs against the eagle as he let go of the harness to unsling his bow and pull an arrow from his quiver. It was a bit nerve wracking, the wind tearing at him, the raptor tilting and pitching as they soared towards their quarry. As the Avora laid his arrow to the short bow, Sakima's voice intruded again into his mind. Unused to communicating with Wind Eagles, the fact that he could talk inside Kovac's head was unnerving. Whether the Wind Eagle was sincere or not in his threat, Kovac intended to take Sakima seriously, afterall, the raptor literally held the man's life on his feathery back.

As the eagle and riders swooped down over the herd, just as Amon had said, the elk scattered as the giant eagle's shadow passed over them. Kovac raised his bow and aimed it over to the inside of Sakima's slow circle. The archer selected a cow, trying to lead his aim in order to hit the animal. It was difficult adjusting for both the elk's movement and his own. Finally the Avora released his arrow. To his dismay, it flew straight but sunk into the wet grass behind his target. "Petch" he cursed out loud. Drawing out another arrow, Kovac swore to himself he would not give the taunting Wind Eagle a reason to rip off one of his limbs.
Kovac
Snarky Mongrel

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Into the Blue [Kovac]

Postby Amon on July 14th, 2010, 1:30 am

Amon and Sakima both chuckled simultaneously, an eerie reminder of their bond and the connection they shared during flight. Kovac had missed, and Amon could tell by his cussing and his overall vibe that he was nervous. He knew what his eagle had in store for him, but if he meant to help him at all was another matter. Not always was he the cheerful, light-hearted type. On occasion he was capable of showing a darker side for the sake of teaching a lesson.

“That’s strike one, Avora. You have two more, concentrate.” His voice was calm, but his tone stern. The eagle was slowly trailing after the herd that now moved ahead, faster, scattering. This would be trickier if he wished to keep track of his target. Regardless, Amon had seen the cow Kovac had aimed for, and Sakima responded to his thoughts and glided down lower.

“Put whatever pent up fury you have into that shot, as if you’re aiming at whatever petching bastards you might hate, including me.” He smirked. It wasn’t as if he wasn’t fond of Kovac, he found him damn right entertaining in the least, but he knew that today would probably not rub off on the Avora well, but who knows?

Why are you trying to help him, Amon? It'd be far more entertaining if he waddled around with a handicap. See how tough he is then.

And what would that do for us? Most Endal I know need an archer to help them hunt. The least you can do is scare him into improving himself, and by what I can see you're doing a pretty amazing job.

Of course I am, it's my specialty. And I swear if he even so much as soils any of my feathers with his vile boots I will rip his arm straight out of his socket.

I won't stop you there, my friend.
Amon
Team One-Eye

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Into the Blue [Kovac]

Postby Kovac on July 14th, 2010, 2:04 pm

Already miffed at his missed shot, Kovac chafed at Amon's condescending instructions. He was not doing this to impress the rider, at least not at first. Now, the archer felt a need to prove himself, or give another Rider another reason to look down on him.

And then there was Sakima. Kovac was not afraid of Amon. However, he was very much concerned about the white eagle. Alright, afraid. The Wind Eagle was downright intimidating, and the Avora felt a very real need to impress Amon's mount.

Kovac did actually chuckle a bit at Amon's next bit of advice. It was amusing and he even had a particular hated Rider in mind. As Sakima brought them lower, the eagle deftly guided them up behind the elk Kovac had targeted. Raising the bow, the archer peered down the shaft, past the barbed iron head, to see the female elk. Leading his target, Kovac compensated for both the animal's movement and their own. Holding his breath, he let the arrow loose, watching it plummet towards the beast to sink soundly into her left haunch. The elk stumbled, its gait faltering as it tried to keep up with the herd.

"One more shot!" He hollered to Amon, quickly pulling another arrow and raising the bow. His target moved slower now, crippled by his first strike, making his aim easier. The second arrow flew from the bow, streaking to impact with the elk's chest. Front legs buckling, the animal collapsed and slid to a halt as its fleeing peers dodged its body.

Kovac grinned in spite of himself.
Kovac
Snarky Mongrel

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Overlored (1)

Next