Solo [Training Grounds] Respect This Thing?! why?

Kise meets his patron at the training grounds for some shield training... But why use a shield? How can a shield be important, and used as a weapon?! Well let's find out shall we?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Training Grounds] Respect This Thing?! why?

Postby Kisetukai on May 24th, 2013, 2:51 am

Spring 39-513AV-Midday

"Ser... Can you explain why the hell this thing is so heavy again?!" Kise roared out as he barely managed to hold the shield in his grasp, it a blunt blue metal shield, knicks and scratches everywhere. It strapped around his left wrist and a bit before his elbow, definitely made for someone of a bulkier caliber and overall just wrong. Kise held it up with ease at first, but he was no match against the villainous time, slowly deteriorating his will and sapping away his motivation. Ser Corben had called him to the grounds early, and they were due to do the training they had been missing, well K had been missing. Somehow Kise always seemed to pay for K's mistakes, why was that, he didn't know. But what he did know was that he was gonna give it his all, he was gonna train nonstop with Ser Corben. He was gonna train harder than ever, and start respecting who and what he was more, a knight. He was a knight in a squires body... All he had to do was become stronger. Get some answers... And become stronger.

"Don't you know anything?" Ser Corben said with a sigh, moving a giant stone mace in his hand with ease on every word, the inevitable cool smile on his face. "Kise, if you don't pay attention to what I teach you... Then what is the point? Let's go over this one more time. Squires wear the bulky, tough armor and hold bulky shields for practice. When they become a knight everything is swapped for more light and agile equipment, if you can't tackle this then you have no business trying to join the order, because we have been doing it that way forever and it works fine."

"No Ser, I'm sorry... I guess that I just... Ok! No excuses! Please forgive me Ser, I am ready to battle!" Kise said in apology, understanding why he wore loaned stalky armor and held a shield five sizes to big in weight. "So what exactly are we doing today? Because from my perspective... All I have is a shield and you have a mace. See where I'm going with this? It's a stone mace... Not even a practice one, that's actual stone!" He added in an almost whining voice, causing his patron to interfere. 

"Knights don't cry Kise... Do you know how many beatings and ass whoopens I went through to gain the rank I have today? If your patron does not teach you pain... Then your patron has failed you. Because whether they do it, or an enemy on the battlefield, you will learn it I promise." Ser Corben interjected coolly, realizing he avoided the question. "To answer your question further my boy, today you will be learning about shields, and even better their importance on the battlefield. You will be taught using the most oldest style in the books, and my personal favorite, by pain. You guessed it, failure equals pain, so every slip up counts. As you have noticed you are fully coated in armor, so you are protected, the only flesh exposed is your face. Now, onto what you will be learning exactly, a brighter subject if I may add."

"You will be learning what exactly a shield is, you will learn how to hold it it, how to use it. You will learn how to block almost any shot, you will learn how to parry, but best of all... You will learn how to use it as a weapon."

Kise face was a bit dead, tackling on all the points his patron addressed, it was going to be a lot of work. Yes he was a physical fighter, and yes he did love close range but how could a shield help him. He began to ponder for a bit, daring to think about how exactly to use the weapon held in his hands, was it even a weapon at that? He would've kept thinking to himself but his patron spoke out once more, snapping him out of mental balance and bliss, and showing him the harsh reality of the situation.

"Anyways, all that's fine and dandy, but you know me Kise. I prefer to teach and lead by example, so prepare yourself." Ser Corben injected into the air, easily wielding the mace in his right hand. "Let's go!" He yelled as he charged his little squire, the speed was natural, as he swung down hard in a momentum driven arc. He knew what he was doing, for this was how he was taught.

Kise shivered a bit, and his legs wobbled till they finally buckled when he saw the man running at him, that wasn't his patron anymore... It was a madman. Ser Corben came in with the speed you would expect of a knight, especially a knight in no protection, he was literally running like the wind. The swing he used was a wide on, possibly an easily countered one for someone of experience but not Kise, it looked like it was going to end his life. Out of fear, his raised his shield, closing both eyes instantly. The shield only covered his torso, but he felt like it would cover all of him, although he was sure it wouldn't.

Blam!

The smack of the weapons colliding was crazy, for Ser Corben and all the other viewers, it was a simple metal on stone sound. But for Kise the experience was golden, as the blast made him arm jiggle and wriggle, the shield heavily reverberated. It sent shocks through his body, and in the end cause him to bounce back. His shield arm dropping, he spun clockwise on his right foot, the momentum was forcing his hand. As a boxer, one knew that if you didn't go with the momentum, you were asking for a gravitational injury. Kise kept spinning until he was back facing his patron, one full revolution, Ser Corben was already running at him with that cool smile.

The swing was a wide one aimed at the face, and tapping into his boxer mentality, Kise easily bobbed his head back. Ser Corben used the momentum of his first missed swing, crouching and spinning counter clockwise, launching out another swipe this time aimed near his gut. It all had happened so fast, Kise couldn't react to incredibly amount of finesse put upon that move, Boom! The mace quickly slammed into Kise, grinding a bit as it scratched and peeled it's gravitational force off. Kise instantly fell back, his strong armor absorbing the blow but vibrating vigorously to show and constantly remind him of his mistake. He laid on the floor for a while, since for a moment he was a human bell, hands at his sides as if he was dead.

"You got to at least try to hit me Kise, and just to make sure that I know your trying... Here's the deal. If you do not strike me once today, then you will not leave these grounds. You will train over night, and I will see you in the next day. Sound fair?" Ser Corben ended chuckling. "All is fair in love and war my boy, and this isn't love, so with that being said. This fight isn't over!" He yelled out and jumped up, hovering above Kise, aiming to be coming down with the mace on the right side of his face. 

This was how his master taught him...

Kise's eyes light up when he saw his master above him, the ferociousness in his eyes signified that this wasn't just training. Scared and frightened to death, Kise rolled to his left side, a novice roll that caused him to spin on the axis of his feet. Quickly he got up, and turned to his patron, what he saw causes his heart to stop for a bit. A huge stone mace flying at his face, time seemed to slow down a bit as his brain was on overload trying to compute what was going on, in the background was his teacher with an extended empty hand and north was a cool smile. Ser Corben really had thrown the mace at him! Directly at his head! Time went back to normal as Kise instinctively ducked, his heart chasing and racing, pumping gallons of blood per minute. He's gonna kill me! He's really gonna kill me!

Kise didn't even have time to whine before his patron had been running at him again, empty handed and leaning forward, what was he going to do? Tackle him?! Kise timidly stepped back, and was prepare to hold his newfound ground until he noticed some movement, Ser Corben's right hand reached back and pulled out a new stone mace. A new mace! When the hell did he get a new one?! Charging up to Kise, he made a simple hop followed by a baseball slide, this forced Kise to jump. Kise thought he did good by dodging, but he had fell right into his opponents trap.

"Gotcha!" Ser Corben yelled and grunted smoothly, popping up with the mace in his left hand, shocking Kise that he managed to switch hands that fast. He swung the mace in a curve, hailing northwest aimed for Kise's body, possibly a vicious shoulder shot.

In mid-air, it all happened so fast, it happened like a blur. How fast Ser Corben got up, how fast that mace was flying back at him, Ser Corben had speed. Obviously he had a good teacher... But so did Kise. Both of his hands coming up, he used his right hand to slide the shield up, holding it by the edge. It was a good feeling, the speed rush and momentum, it all blended perfectly. It felt like he was doing good till it landed, the mace smacked the shield hard but not as hard as last time, because something had absorbed it.

Kise fell down to earth, his body seemed fine except for the excruciating aching in his fingertips, it was on all fingertips except the thumb. He quickly dropped his  vibrating shield and began to shake his hand, trying to shake out the pain, it was ineffective. "Petch! Son of a-" His patron quickly stepped in.

Ser Corben had felt a bit of compassion for the lad, after all they did have a teacher and student bond, the only thing that made them different was ranks. He was just about to step in and ask if Kise was ok, but he remembered how his master had taught him, and he knew what to do. "Fight through the pain my boy!" He yelled out in his gruffly knight voice, charging at Kise once more.

"Yes Ser!" Kise yelled back, the aching pain trying it's hardest to grab his attention as he looked forward. Ser Corben instantly appeared in front of him, a mid range left to right swipe at his stomach once more. Easily dodged from recent experience, Kise jumped back, Ser Corben dashed forward with a new attack. An overhead two handed slamming arc, that would probably knock Kise unconscious. He raised his arms as high as he could, his arms braced and ready, he held his shield up as high and firm as possible. Slam! Kise had successfully blocked the shot, absorbed all the energy and stood his ground with his legs firm.

Ser Corben's arm bounced back, the blast affecting his body, he knew that Kise didn't do it on purpose but he had successfully parried the move. "Well done but..." Quiet words were spoken, Ser Corben used the momentum of the top of his body flying back to thrust a heavy right kick at Kise's exposed body. Kicking him firmly in the armor, he sent the boy flying

"Whoa whoa whoa!" Kise stumbled and mumbled, unable to catch his balance or get a grip. He almost had it, it was almost in reach and then... Thud. He tripped on something and fell on his back, seeing his patron take the opening and jump up once more, he was beginning to see why Ser Corben was a knight. As of last time he rolled to his left, hearing a thud behind him, he quickly rose up. Except this time he had something, upon getting up he grabbed what knocked him down. Smiling at his patron with the same mace in his right hand, he wanted to see what was possible now, how this would turn out. "Ser..." He said softly.

I see Kisetukai, I'm happy you decided to think with your head. This is the fun part...

You ready?
Kisetukai
Syliras Finest

Words: 636820
Joined roleplay: March 8th, 2013, 9:25 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Kisetukai on May 27th, 2013, 10:08 am

Here Kise was, staring down his patron with a shield strapped to his left arm, and a stone mace in his right. Both felt uncomfortable and unnatural, but he had no choice, he knew his patron wouldn't let him whine his way out of this one. The order seriously took the ''make a man out of you' thing a bit to far, after all this was just insane, two men about to beat each other senseless?! A man he called a friend, a man who was his master, a man who was his new... Father figure. Now Kise held a mace, a mace made out of stone... For what? To beat this man's head in?! He couldn't bare the thought of hurting his patron, he couldn't bare the thought of actually using a brute weapon like this to actually harm a soul. No he wasn't afraid as he was when he was younger, but he couldn't bring himself to hit his patron, he couldn't. This forced him to stay in place, shaking a bit, as he loosely gripped the mace.

"Ah my boy, I can read those eyes from about a yard away!" Ser Corben declared as he dropped his arm down, dangling it at his side as he smiled out after a loud hearty laugh. "You can't hit me can you? You still can't bring yourself to hit me Kise? Even though you have done it with your fist multiple times, your still afraid to hit me? Why can't you do it, isn't this just like it?" Ser Corben added, almost as if he was pressuring him into the fight. "Cmon my boy!"

"That's just it Ser... I can't hit you with this. This is crazy! If I actually hit you with this imagine what would happen?! Ser I can't just... No! Ser Corben... Please..." Kise tried to bargain with his patron as he noticed they began circling, the fight was imminent, it just needed a starting push. He saw the look in Ser Corben's eyes, it was that look he always held, showing that there was no way he would lose. That's how it always went though... Squires stood no chance against a full blown knight. And his scenario was no different, not at all...

Quickly, Ser Corben lunged in, swinging his mace clearly at Kise's face. Although Kise was sure that wasn't his full speed, he was sure that he wasn't far from it, he literally heard the wind as his head naturally bobbed back and watched the stone fly by. His brain was rattling with comments as if he had a mini spectating box up in his mind, which he kind of did once he actually thought about it. Bobbing back into the fight, he flew past his judgement, after all his patron was a knight, meaning there was no way he would actually be able to hurt him. Kise swung his heavy mace from right to left, aimed at his patrons face, except he also missed. 

And as soon as he was wide open, his right hand still on his left due to inertia, Ser Corben slyly moved. Swinging a wild over head two handed slam aimed for Kise's cranium, apparently he knew what he was doing and was about to do it. The swing came down quickly, except Kise's left hand flew forwards, his shield absorbing the blow. He didn't know how it happened, perhaps out of fear, but it had happened. He absorbed it all, successfully parrying his masters attack, and knocking his body back. Now Kise had him, he was on the offensive for once.

His left hand slid back, removing the shield as the mace began to grind up on it in anticipation. He went for a back hand with the mace, it flew wildly, so wildly he lost grip. The mace went flying and Ser Corben dodged the item easily, running in at Kise, he was doomed. His first real counter attack and that's what happens? Really?! Kise looked directly into the eyes of his patron, and for some reason it all seemed to slow down, it all seemed to move slowly. Was it his boxers mentality? Whatever it was, he liked it, and he used it. Side stepping the blow, he thought he had his master fooled but it was actually he, as Ser Corben swung around with with a back blow. 

Kise flinched and closed his eyes, pushing the shield out, he parried yet another blow. Hearing Ser Corben's reactions, he quickly launched forward, and did the first thing that came to mind. He thrusted his shield forwards, his body following behind it with a majestic leap, he pushed forward. He could feel it make contact, he could feel it touch his patrons torso, and he heard the thud when he hit the ground.

Quickly sliding forwards once more, hovering above him, he grabbed the shield with both hands. He brought it up high, and jumped up, quickly coming down. Aiming for Ser Corben's face, it was a here goes nothing move, and he closed his eyes once more. He heard a clank, and when he looked down, his shield had hammered a mace into the ground, cleverly saving his master.

"Close Kise... Oh so close..." Ser Corben said in his grungy voice, as he somehow made it under and right behind Kise, his hands wrapped around him like a belt, or someone helping someone who was choking. "But not close enough... More ferocity next time, less eye closing and wincing!" His patron easily lifted him up, swinging him from behind in a suplex as Kise's head crashed down into the ground. Ser Corben quickly let go and stretched. "Like I said... Good try though." He knew the fight was over, as he watched Kise just lay, his friendly smile returning to his face. "Well I better pick you up and take you home... I bet you-..."

Kise quickly sprang up, after a bunch of stumbles he giggled and laughed. "That was fun Ser! It was an honor to learn from you as alway!" Kise let loose a quick respectful bow, then walked up to his patron. "But if you don't mind... Can we go for another round? I really wanna get this down." Kise said with a smile, forcing him and his patron into laughter as they picked up their gear.

Only a squire and their patron could understand the bond of a squire and their patron.
Kisetukai
Syliras Finest

Words: 636820
Joined roleplay: March 8th, 2013, 9:25 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Emblem on June 8th, 2013, 5:30 am

Congratulations!
You Get Glorious Experience!

Kisetukai

SkillPoints Earned
Weapon: Shield 3 XP
Bodybuilding 2 XP
Weapon: Mace 1 XP
Acrobatics 1 XP
Tactics 1 XP

Lore Earned
Maneuver: Shield Bash
On the Defensive
The Bulky and Awkward Shield
How Not to Wield a Mace

Other Shenanigans:

Comments :
Good training thread and intro to the shield. If you have questions or concerns shoot me a PM!
Currently working at new job so I am still trying to balance it out with Miza. I apologize for any delays.
Emblem
Retired Staff

Words: 50846
Joined roleplay: January 24th, 2012, 5:56 am
Race: Staff account
Office