Closed Booze and business

Just another day at the office for suir, down at the pigs foot learning about things he probably shouldn't be involving himself with

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Booze and business

Postby Suir on June 1st, 2013, 7:05 pm

1st summer 513AV

Suir sat up against the bar. His journal open in-front of him his ale on the counter to the right of him. Quill in hand and ink vial open. Suir took a deep breath and pressed his fingers lightly across the front of his forehead above his brow ever so lightly thinking as the patrons around the bar yammered on. Spilling little things. Every thing that was of import came out fast and he himself had devised a short hand to jot it all down. A small smile on his face the ale hardly touched as he wanted his head as clear as possible to help him here the drunken looseness of other peoples tongues. His hand danced across the page lightly jotting down his own relevant information.

S.A.D. 4Th 14B U.C. ( ship arriving at docks, fourth summer fourteenth bell unknown cargo )

Worth looking into...Possible items to steal large amount of money to be made.

L.S.S. 6th 8-15B L.V. ( Large slave sale, sixth summer eighth bell to fifteenth bell large variety )

Pointless venture though could be good place to conceal a meeting.

Interesting bits of information picked up... Relatively little good stuff else-wise.

Suir Sighed and blew on the paper lightly the books pages drying of ink as Suir flicked the nib of the quill to expel the excess ink back into the ink vial before corking it and sliging his journal, ink and quill back into his backpack. He shifted on his seat a little un easily both the handles of his swords poking up and over his right shoulder his right hand training down to grab a hold of the mug of ale before it was rudely snatched out of his hands by a rather...annoying lout.

"OH look a loose undrunk ale, wouldn't want it to go to waste." Suir took a deep breath before flicking his eye's up at the bastard who'd just drunk his booze...It didn't matter that he was trying to stay sober he'd paid his money for that. The second the bastard put his right hand down on the counter. Suir rose from the seat and stood up glaring into his eye's and spoke slowly. An an almost eerily polite manner for what he'd just done.
"Sorry But i think you just drank my ale...Now-" Suir smiled and spoke calmly. Something else though a deep seeded irritation rolled and roiled beneath the surface. "If you'd be so kind...I'd like another...and enough for five more...In exchange for the pitiful existence that is your life. We agreed?" before the guy could voice any sort of protest to Suir's demands. Suir's left and right hands snapped into action reaching behind his back and his left one pulling out one of the two visible daggers on his person. His right hand reached for the other. His left hand slammed the blade of the dagger down through the meat of this oaf's palm and his right hand brought the blade of the dagger to the jackasses throat. "Are.We.Agreed?" The man nodded meekly and fished in his pocket for the money and dumped it on the counter before suir pulled the blade out of his hand and away from his neck. The man scrambled and legged it out the door before Suir wiped off the dagger onto the counter top getting a rather sharp look from the owner Suir sheathed the daggers in their slots before keeping his smirk up. Suir just called for another ale and pocketed the rest of the money.
Last edited by Suir on June 25th, 2013, 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Suir
Hide intelligence with brutality.

Words: 21231
Joined roleplay: May 26th, 2013, 8:25 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Journal

Booze and business

Postby Vivianne on June 1st, 2013, 11:55 pm

Vivianne entered the so called Pig's Foot Tavern, looking over it with some distaste. The patrons were loud, and the air itself smelled of stale booze and sweat, certainly not a combination the young woman was fond of. She strode across the tavern floor, weaving her way through the crowded tables and seated herself at the bar. It was not the best place perhaps, but it would help her get her bearings, which was important in operating within a city like Sunberth.

The young red haired woman had opted to dress in her common clothes today, deciding that dressing too flashy could be unwise among this crowd and would do little endear her to them. Her hands were gloved, mostly to conceal the half black sun brand on her left hand. Her rapier was at her side, ready for use in the event of a fight and the dagger in her boot would provide ample protection in close quarters. Vivi crossed her legs and waved the bartender over.

"What can I get you, lady?" The man asked.

"Ah, just a glass of water to start with, my good man." The young woman responded, giving the bartender a brilliant smile. She had an articulate and fanciful way of speaking that had been picked up in her years of serving higher class humans in Ravok. It could be off putting to some but it was something Vivi took in stride.

The man raised an eyebrow but quickly got her a drink and was rewarded with a single silver miza for the service. Vivi tossed the man a wink, chuckling slightly as he moved on to assist another patron. The young woman sipped lightly at the lukewarm water, making a slight face as she drunk. It was rather off putting as she preferred it cold, but still she wasn't exactly complaining.

It was at that moment that she observed the events that played out nearby, a man had apparently stolen another's drink. The grieved party demanded compensation, at the point of a dagger, Vivi noted with a raised eyebrow. It was a rather unnecessary display of threatened violence, in her eyes a silver tongue was much more valuable than an unsheathed blade. He managed to get his money and send the other man running out the door. Vivi smiled, it was time to go to work.

The approach was the key to the successful con, too blatant and suspicions were raised, moving in slowly was often best. Vivi was rather adept at the approach by this point, it was the part that came after that required some quick thinking. Still, the man was likely not too Intelligent, considering how quickly he had turned to threats. If she played her cards right, then she would be leaving with a few extra mizas.

The woman moved to a closer seat, near enough to where she would likely not be noticed until she spoke to the brown haired man, but close enough to safely give an observation to him. One could not force these things, however the right words often led to conversation. Once conversation was established then the real work could begin.

She shot a dazzling smile in his direction, her eyes possessing a hint of amusement. Dipping into her knowledge of the seductive arts never hurt in getting things going.

"That was quite the display, sir, good show putting that lout in his place." She remarked.
Vivianne
Insert Witty or Meaningful Phrase Here

Words: 17520
Joined roleplay: May 31st, 2013, 12:37 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet

Booze and business

Postby Suir on June 2nd, 2013, 3:17 pm

Suir sank back down into his seat keeping his ears open for the surrounding conversations, most were not just simply talking about him and the display he'd given off. Strange, normally he didn't care and again he didn't care about what he did but there was the difficulty of trying now to make out the simplistic conversations going on around him. Why ? Because now closing the gap between him and his knowledge was someone else. Suir raised is had up and pressed his fingertips and thumb gently into his eye's lifting the new ale to his lips and taking a strong swallow. Then the voice of a woman met his ears lightly. Suir sighed and let her talk. Suir was focusing more on hearing things out about ehr than looking at her for the moment. Quite a display ? Suir scoffed and downed another mouthful of the ale.

"I didn't put on a display i merely showed what happens to those who wrong me. Unlike most...I'm not as forgiving as others. That and i don't take NO for an answer." Suir shifted a little in his seat before continuing. "And don't call me sir...It annoys me. My name is Suir. And that is what i will be referred as not su, not sir, Suir." Suir could hear the surprised lightness in her voice. Suir turned in his seat now moving to face her, thehand across his eye's now moving his left elbow still on the counter and his right holding the mug of ale.His eye's half lidded with boredom as he glanced over her, taking in her red hair and slightly hidden figure by the clothing. an un impressed straight line across his lips. Unmoving unflinching, almost emotionless, but the key point of his face at that moment would have been his eye's almost blank except for the swift active calculations flying through his head. Interesting, a sweet looking female with probably a meaner side lurking beneath, Her teeth mildly pointed ? Is that my imagination or am i simply trying to place a bestial quality upon her to get around the sense of foreboding i feel surrounding her ? Should i just stab her new and move on or hear her out a bit further? Yes i'll hear her out then make my decision to either shank her or pay further attention.

"So tell me...What exactly is your vested interest in me beyond the "display" i put on ? I mean it was a simple show of force not exactly something people would be dawn too or perhaps your one for more of the thrill of danger, one who fears the mundane and day to day activity ? Then again i may be pegging you wrong in it's entirety, i mean after all i can pick out the defining ferocity lurking in your face. Perhaps again that's just me making things appear there which truly aren't ? Either way my question still stands."
Suir

Character sheet
Journal

Booze and business

Postby Vivianne on June 2nd, 2013, 4:04 pm

Vivianne was already looking for a good enough story, something to pique the man's interest. A lie didn't need to be complex, it started simple and layers were added on to it as the exchange went on. The trick was to make the lies believable and interesting, a story to capture attention and, eventually the money from someone's purse. She took note of his observations and noted that he was half right about who she was and what she liked, but only half. There was no denying that a certain part of her reveled in danger, living on the edge of the knife each time she talked someone into giving her their money.

However neither did she disdain the quieter side of life, the mundane could offer opportunities for those clever enough to look for them. This man though, this Suir spoke with greater observation and intelligence than what she had initially expected. His cutting to the heart of the matter was going to make the manipulation a little more difficult, she needed to think fast to keep his interest. Which meant coming up with a suitable lie to catch his attention.

Vivi kept her smile up, tipping her glass over her lips and taking a sip as the lie formed in her head. It was not perfect but it would hopefully gain his attention.

"Ah, you are quite astute, master Suir, somehow I suspected you might be. I will admit my approaching you was not entirely innocent, though under normal circumstances innocence would likely be the last thing on my mind." The red haired woman said with a suggestive wink. A little flirtation never hurt anyone.

"I approached you to perhaps discuss a... business venture, if you are interested of course. I can assure you a great deal of profit to be had." Vivi said, lacing the word profit with a barely detectable suggestion, digging slightly into her Djed reserves.

Hypnotism was a subtle art and one that she found was extremely useful in her line of work. A little suggestion here, a powerful and attractive look there and one could easily ensnare one in a web of lies. It was another danger, the duel dangers of discovery and overgiving always present. But without any risk there was no reward. Still, just to be safe, Vivi's hand made a barely noticeable movement, closer to her rapier. This man had already proven he could be dangerous, if he made a move that she didn't like she intended to skewer him on the end of her sword. If that option was not viable then her dagger was always a good fall back.
Vivianne

Character sheet

Booze and business

Postby Suir on June 2nd, 2013, 4:55 pm

Suir felt his face barely flicker for a brief instant, he was right and he knew it at least he felt he was. The quiet contemplation of an instance was reserved for those with the patience to see it through. Suir let his left hand fall of the counter and down to his side. Astute, cute...Suir flicked his eye's at her still weighing on thoughts. The master again, the submissiveness he didn't suspect. but now he'd seen her cfall to raising him higher than her in her speech twice. Suir sighed lightly and flicked his eye's across her gain this time now catching something s she spoke, the flirtations movements and the suggestive sentences masking ...something. he couldn't tell what but with the coupling of her speech she was trying to sell something and right now he wasn't buying. Though the last words of her last sentence held a little extra sway. Unusual, what did she mean by profit? Suir felt his mind now less searching for him to have a reason to let her live.

"So what's this "venture" your after ? Profit you say? What kind of profit ?" Suir kept his head turned lightly towards her. Strange. She's got an air of command yet she's lowering her self? Does she want me to think i'm holding all the cards? And dose she think i didn't see her hand moving towards her blade?Well she needs to think again." Suir lifted his mug back upto his mouth anf finished it in three successive swallows. Suir then let his hand keep to his side pressing his hand on the dagger at his left.
"Would you be kind enough to indulge me a few more questions ? I mean aftyer all it makes me wonder why your lowering yourself beneath me yet again. "master" suir. seriously? I can tell your trying to hold my interest. So treat me like an equal, i'm no better than you and your no better than me. At least until you prove otherwise because if you keep acting meek im going to put you beneath me like like i did with the other man who was here, only it wont be your hand which get's stabbed." Suir took a deep breath before placing the mug back on the counter and flexing his fingers.

"So remove your hand from your blade because being honest, my blade is shorter, so i cna draw it faster and smoother, yours is longer and there for going to be harder to draw. If your smart like i think you are, at least, smarter than i think you are right now you've probably got another blade hidden elsewhere. So indulge me, both hands on the bar, or i'm going to open up your throat before you can voice a word of protest." Suir smiled now, this time he would have her on his level, or she'd be on the floor. "So this "venture" tell me more about it after all you brought it up and now i've got your attention and you know i'm not playing around. We can discuss it like adults. Or we can keep going around in circles. Your choice."
Suir

Character sheet
Journal

Booze and business

Postby Vivianne on June 2nd, 2013, 5:38 pm

Vivianne felt her heart beat quicken for a moment at Suir's threat, rather unnerved by such a bold display. He seemed to have no patience for word play, an interesting note to make as she went forth in this manipulation. He wanted things presented straight and clear, with no wordy obstructions or ploys. It was rather odd, he was different then the men she was used to dealing with, a challenge. The young woman quickly composed herself and placed both hands on the table, her smile amused. He didn't seem to have detected her little suggestion, and while his threat was still fresh in her mind she knew that she possessed other methods to escape in the event of violence.

Confident in her abilities, Vivi chuckled slightly.

"You should lighten up, Suir, have some fun every now and then. Just an observation. Now on to business..." The young woman said, downing the last of her water quickly.

"I represent the interests of an influential Ravokian merchant by the name of Graes Jivak, who is looking to expand his enterprise to Sunberth. He trades in weapons and armor as well as precious metals, possessing access to high tier goods that he believes can make an impact on the market here. I won't bore you with the fine details, economics is not my strong point, however Graes has yours truly and a few others searching for investments." Vivi paused for a moment, making sure that she had eye contact with Suir.

Her lies were made up of half truths, the best things one could weave into a lie. There was a merchant called Graes Jivak in Ravok, her former master actually, and he was an arms merchant. However he was most certainly not interested in trading in Sunberth, he disdained the place. The point was to make the lie convincing enough to pique interest. Vivi considered using another suggestion but decided against it, Suir already seemed suspicious of her, using too much magic could give her away.

"The investment does not need to be huge, with the combined amount of investments we are getting we should be able to meet out set amount with numerous low cost investments. If you worry over the security of your money, never fear, Graes has already tested the market and has projected a massive return on investments. Considering the low cost, the most you might lose is ten gold mizas, which you will be compensated with a fraction of the surplus goods." The young woman said.

At this point she was simply regurgitating words and information Graes had used on occasion, Vivi herself had little to no knowledge in economics. She did know how to construct a good lie based on prior information given to her however.

"All in all, the risk is relatively low to you and the profit will be great. So, are you interested?" Vivi asked, looking him straight in the eyes.

If he said no, then it was simply a loss of revenue for her and she could easily find some other sucker to con. It was highly unlikely that he would see through the lie, if he did then she should have time to distract him with a hallucination before fleeing.
Vivianne

Character sheet

Booze and business

Postby Suir on June 2nd, 2013, 6:06 pm

He should lighten up? Perhaps but then again he'd been like this for as long as he could remember and the only people he didn't threaten were his family...Even then he didn't particularly like their way of going about things. The chuckle seemed to reveal to him that she thought she still had the upper hand or at least wanted him to believe she did. A straight up investment in the merchant dealing s of a a ravokian arms dealer playing his trade in sunberth? Suir sighed and continued to listen to her speaking about the investment he'd possibly make. Ten golden mizas for a fraction of a substantial profit.
"I must admit it sounds like a good deal. That and it would appear your a fairly obedient little girl. Perhaps it would be in my best interests to invest. But what assurance do i have that you aren't manipulating the facts ? Tat the truth is what you speak and like me you haven't merely over heard an influential name and then thought to ply it as a viable option to move a point across ? Now perhaps if you'd present me or at least gift me your name we could continue the proceedings on much more level terms."

Now i'm just toying with her, if everything she's said is true i could very much find this merchant cart and take the entirety of it for myself undercut the offerings of this dealer and make myself a wagon load of money, however... Suir lowered his gaze again this time he was more planning on trying to peel apart a simplistic venture. Was she lying ? Was she telling the truth? Suir had a very simple way to test it. "Well it sounds all well and good, perhaps you could give me the information of when the delivery of the goods will arrive, after all a wagon full of arms would need a bit more protection in a city such as this." Suir tilted his head a little and broke his gaze with ehr eyes and now let his eye's travel lower once again not looking too low only at her shoulders. if she was lying or making something up he might be bale to tell here. After all bad information had tell tale signs.

Suir smirked and had almost more or less guessed about the situation by now. Her demeanour spoke of almost everything. "Low risk, high return, easy profit. I would be lying if i said i wasn't interested but i'd like some assurance. After all it's highly unlikely that you'd tell me this just to then change your tune at the last moment, then again that's always a possibility isn't it ?" Suri then began to change the conversation. "I'm not one to be toyed with i like facts, cold, hard, facts. And facts are like a blade, firm, resolute, and to the point. So i'm going to put it to you. And feel free to comment, but i think your trying to lure me into something, i'm not sure how your doing it but it's possible." Suir's free hand reached up to place on her shoulder lightly. Pressing firmly. "I'm am i getting the facts ?"
Suir

Character sheet
Journal

Booze and business

Postby Vivianne on June 2nd, 2013, 6:53 pm

The situation was quickly spiraling out of Vivi's control and she knew it, she had underestimated this man once more. He was quite astute, demanding facts and evidence over believing the lie that many might have swallowed. It was rather irksome and the firm grip on her shoulder was uncomfortable, it reminded her of Graes' possessive touches. He suspected her lie and her long pause was likely the only amount of damning evidence he needed to see through her. This was extreme bad, she needed to act quickly to get out of this mess. Suir had already proven himself to be willing to resort to violence, and while she herself was one who disdained such things they could be necessary.

Her smile was uneasy now, her eyes narrowed slightly. A stand off of sorts.

"Ah, you are a smart one. Most simply drink the lie down and go with it, it is a rare day when I meet one with reason and logic as his guide. However, you are making me a little uncomfortable, I suggest you let go, I assure you that you won't have the opportunity to make a move to your weapon before blood is pouring from your throat." Vivi said her tone still bright, putting Djed behind her words to elicit an emotion of slight intimidation.

She was playing on the knifes edge here, now that she was found out. If he made a move towards his dagger she intended to generate a flash to distract him long enough to either escape or draw her dagger from her boot. The discovery of possessing magic was also quite dangerous, bordering on lethal. Overgiving was also a possibility at this point, flashes were quite taxing in terms of Djed usage. However at this point anything went.

The flash was also a gamble, there was no real guarantee it would distract him for long enough but it was a risk she was willing to take if he looked to be violent. Her eyes were locked on his still, her hands still out on the bar however she allowed a crossing of her legs to put the dagger closer to arms reach.

"Now then, we can either part ways here, I disappear into the streets and we never see one another again, neither one of us worse for wear or you can take your chances that I am lying. Your choice." Vivi said, ready to unleash her magic in a moment's notice.
Vivianne

Character sheet

Booze and business

Postby Nemanjak on June 2nd, 2013, 7:10 pm

[Random deletion]
Last edited by Nemanjak on June 15th, 2013, 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nemanjak
Player

Words: 13336
Joined roleplay: February 15th, 2013, 11:56 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Booze and business

Postby Suir on June 2nd, 2013, 7:14 pm

Suir smirked and gave off an audible laugh. His grip on he shoulder loosened as she requested of him. It seems as if his arrow headed logic had once again saved him from picking up on false information. Suir lifted his hand from his dagger. He'd given of one show of violence. And a show of force was often the best way to use an intimidation factor when negotiating terms of an investment or trying to see through a thinly veiled lie.
"So you admit that you were trying to cheat me? At least you see the folly of trying to pull the wool over my eyes. So i offer you the simplistic knowledge of this. It's highly unlikely we wont see each other gain but the next time we meet i can assure you i will be better armed on my knowledge of you. Though i can say this as well, it appears my summation of you was quite "apt" your one who likes the danger of trying to play with those you know are liable to leap out at you. But you'll find that i'm a lot more complicated than it would first appear." Suir spun on the bar stool now facing her his hands away from his daggers.

"it's unlikely that you'll find out more about me. So wouldn't bother. Though if you wish to leave without any form of bloodshed or violence i ask only two things." Suir's mood shifted lightly as he places his elbow ont he counter and lifted his hand to his chin. " Your name, and the knowledge you wont try to con me again. Then you may leave safely. "
Suir

Character sheet
Journal

Next