Closed Bring The Heat

Aidara // Burning alive beneath the sun.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Bring The Heat

Postby Johanne on June 6th, 2013, 8:12 pm

33rd Summer 513AV. The Inner Warrens / The Suren Cliffs.

On the mountains by the sea, where Zintila had ruled and the night had glowed, there was an ever constant breeze and coolness, the wind whistling through the ravines between peaks, gusts from Zulrav echoing through the crystal streets. In Denval, where rubble surrounded the people on every side, hemmed in by land and sea, the water was right there, a beckoning lover offering release from the grips of summer, only a short dive off the Docks into freedom. Here, in Wind Reach, where the peak of Mt. Skyinarta reached up to the heavens, and stone grew like leaves and living things, there was no such release.

Johanne had tried to work. She really had. But to crush wooden pulp, harvested by Dek and lumberjacks from the trees around the forest and Thunder bay, was difficult at the best of times. On a day with sweltering heat, it was even worse. Johanne's hands clenched on a press, turning the stile with all the strength she had, which was not much to begin with. Round and round she pulled it, sweat dripping off her brow into the iron bucket before her, where the mechanism crushed up the wood into a water and sugar mixture. Her wrists were aching and her neck was stiff with tension, and focus. With a sigh, she released the turnstile and collapsed into the chair behind her.

The Craft Gallery was all but deserted, Johanne one of the very few at their station. struggling to fulfil their orders while the air around them seemed as dense as molasses. It was too hot, and Johanne had yet to adapt Wind Reach dress, still wearing the floor-length dress from Lhavit, with the sleeves rolled up and the bustier tied around her waist. The cotton, damp with sweat, stuck to her skin. It was useless. Leaving her station as messy as anything, Johanne struggled out of the door, her work behind her and forgotten.

The Inner Warrens were not much cooler. No breeze flowed through the stone corridors, and the stone itself held no coolness that provided relief. To venture outside seemed exhausting. She envied those in Thunder Bay, who worked by the Bay and frolicked in the waters whenever they needed to cool down: or so she thought, having never been to the place. She spotted a stone slab, that Johanne thought was a bench but was truly a bed for the Drudges, who did not deserve even a straw mattress according to the higher castes. Something that baffled Johanne but she did not have the courage nor the right to speak out against it. Instead she simply followed their lead, avoiding the Dek and feeling terrible for doing so.

Johanne collapsed onto the stone slab, lying down and resting her forehead against the stone, hoping to find some relief. Her face was red and slick with sweat, and a sweat stain gathered in the back of her dress. Her hair wild, Johanne did all she could not to melt away in the heat. It would be a most unbecoming way to die.
x
Last edited by Johanne on June 14th, 2013, 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream.”
Vincent Van Gogh
Johanne
These scars are stories.

Words: 168999
Joined roleplay: September 2nd, 2012, 8:48 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Bring The Heat

Postby Aidara on June 12th, 2013, 8:54 pm

A single drop of sweat glistened as it traipsed down the back of Addy’s neck, a fitful breeze stealing the fine, deep red hairs from around the top of her head and whipping them into a floating, auburn crown. The burst of air did nothing to cool her and, as if knowing its failure, died out quickly in shame, leaving Addy with a second small bead of sweat to leave its salty trail across her skin.

Truly, it was hot. Even for the Inarta it was hot, though the day had just begun and Addy hadn’t the chance to work herself into heat exhaustion, realizing the day was a waste before even leaving the Aerie. It was at the opening of Sira’s nesting area that she stood now, looking over the distant crags of a neighboring peak as she sipped a cup of tea, lukewarm now as it had been left out overnight; the quality was questionable, but it was far better than any sort of hot drink she could have made.

“Nat! I’m going out! Behave! And you should get out of the Aerie, too!” Natalie answered with the thud of her door closing, and Addy couldn’t help but smile and shake her head; there was no use reprimanding the teen. She would do what she wanted anyway. Returning to her own room, Addy scooped up a bundle of clothes and sorted through, picking out a few pieces before folding them neatly and tucking them under her arm while she retrieved her pack with its modest survival accouterments already stashed away inside. The clothes were laid on top and the whole thing was shouldered as Addy made her way from the Aerie.

Unsure of where exactly she was going to end up, the little healer simply knew she had to get off of the mountain, or at least away from its center. The corridors of the Inner Warrens were utterly abandoned, as were most of the rooms that Addy glanced in as she glided past. Anyone who was smart was away. Sira was lucky to have been stationed elsewhere for the day, though Addy had opted out of joining her; Juggling two jobs as she did, the little woman found herself able to pick and choose between the two, building a schedule day by day that worked best for everyone.

Now regretting the choice to stay behind, Addy mentally calculated the fastest path to the nearest body of water. It would require passing the Crafts Gallery and crossing the Courtyard of the Sky, but it would be worth it; on a day like this, the usual clustered jam of people around the Gallery would be nonexistent, and the heat wouldn’t sear her alive in the time it took to cross the Courtyard…

A sharp left down a winding hallway brought Addy out in front of the Crafts Gallery, a quick glance down into the corridor that lead to all the workspaces confirming her prediction: Not a soul to be seen. As good as that was for her now, it meant that once she got to the lakes, every soul that was absent here would be hogging up all the good, cool water. And the Yasi running and yelling everywhere… Perhaps there was a private lake somewhere that no one had discovered yet, where she could go for a dip and then lay out in the sun for a bell or two in the peace and quiet.

“Shyke!” Having rounded the corner lost in though, Addy had barreled right in to the Dek’s slab, slamming her shin hard against the bone while simultaneously flinching away as the presence of the woman sprawled across it startled her. “Holy petch, what are you doing here?” Wincing and rubbing her leg, Addy hobbled a bit forward until she could fully see the woman. “And what in Rek’Keli’s name has you wearing that on a day like this?” The outfit was ridiculous on the best of days, but today was simply insane. Addy saw a glimpse of the red mottled complexion and paired the slow, slurred movements sent alarm bells clanging around Addy’s head.

“You need to get up and get moving so we can get you some water. Heat Exhaustion. Don’t tell me you were working?” Proximity to the Crafts Gallery, the woman’s dress and her chocolaty hair all screamed Outsider. Of course. “Come on, get up.” Hands extended and latched onto the young woman, pulling her to her feet. “We’ll go to the Infirmary.” It all happened very fast, but Addy wouldn’t take no for an answer.
x
Aidara
The "i" is silent

Words: 946840
Joined roleplay: October 6th, 2010, 5:20 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 10
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1)
Power Fork (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Bring The Heat

Postby Johanne on June 15th, 2013, 12:15 am

Johanne shrieked, a high-pitched ridiculous sound, in response to the loud swear that startled her from her fitful and unsatisfying rest. Jumping, Johanne's eyes snapped open and she tried to sit up, but that only made her head spin, and ache. Groaning, she stayed laying down, trying to process the swift accented words of the woman before her.

Squinting through dry eyes, Johanne saw a short woman, with hair as dark and red as blood, but clutching her shin angrily, a red bruise already blossoming upon the freckled skin there. She spoke so quickly, in Common, clearly seeing that the exhausted Johanne was an outsider, different, too exhausted to try and speak a language she had absolutely no grasp of, but the chirping lilt of Nari still tinted every one of the swift words she threw at the heat-exhausted woman.

Johanne looked confusedly down at her dress, trying to figure out why the woman criticised it so. "I don't know, am I not supposed to be here?" Johanne said slowly, wondering if she had overstepped some boundary that the Inarta had unspoken and unflinchingly in place. "I always wear this dress..." She loved the corseted forest dress, it being one of her favourite outfits, and she had never had a problem with it before: but then again, she had never experienced a Wind Reach summer before, either.

Water, yes. Water sounded good to the sluggish Johanne, who later would be embarrassed at how foolish she had been, and how slow her responses were. Without resisting, Johanne let the Inartan grab her by the hands and haul her to her feet. Johanne was far, far taller than the woman, nearly a foot taller, and dwarfed the woman comically who she was leaning upon for support, her head spinning with the sudden standing. "One moment..." Johanne said, clutching hard at the little woman's shoulders. "I ... I don't know where that is," she admitted, her breathing a little easier after a few moments. She would wait for the woman to lead her there.

Once they had begun walking in whatever direction the redhead lead her in, Johanne would slowly begin to feel embarrassed. "I'm so sorry..." she muttered. If the woman asked, she would be unable to expand, talking being a little too taxing until she got some water in her. But when Johanne was feeling well again, the apologies would come flowing.
x
“For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream.”
Vincent Van Gogh
Johanne
These scars are stories.

Words: 168999
Joined roleplay: September 2nd, 2012, 8:48 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Bring The Heat

Postby Aidara on June 26th, 2013, 3:07 pm

“Problem with Outsiders, they think they know everything.” Leading the woman along, Addy muttered to herself in Nari; the tweets and whistles of the birdsong-like language probably sounded nothing like the grumble that it really was to the near dehydrated woman. “Think that everything will always work their way, even in places that aren’t theirs…. Like I wouldn’t know what was best in my own city…” If Addy’s slightly soured mood was any indication, even the Inarta weren’t immune to the intense heat that was emanating from the very rocks that their home was comprised of.

“In here.” Switching back to Common the little woman held open the door to the Infirmary, stepping aside to let Johanne enter first. It was dark within the space and completely empty, the air a bit cooler here than outside, but only just. “Take a seat, I’ll get water.” Lacking eloquence in her second language, Addy supplemented her words with whatever smile she could manage before moving to retrieve the water.

The Infirmary was nothing spectacular, boasting a small waiting area near the door and a sickbay. A couple dozen identical beds stood in rows, but it was the stools scattered throughout the space that added a bit of personality to the place. Johanne would be left alone for a barely a chime before Addy was back and pressing a clay mug into her hand. “Drink.”

Sipping her own, the little woman stepped up onto the rung of a stool, turning with practiced ease so that she could slide smoothly onto the seat; it an action done with the fluid nonchalance of the much practiced. In fact, Addy seemed most at ease within the dark room, having lit nothing when she had formally moved about. “My name is Aidara, but Addy works too.” The silence had been filled with the sound of the two women sipping slowly at their drinks, but the redheaded woman offered the stranger a smile with the introduction. “I am sorry if I startled you before.”

Rising not once, but twice to refill their cups, Addy let the other woman regain her strength and her space of mind before she began to babble away; The dehydration hadn’t gotten all that far. The water would soon take effect and the bright color of her cheeks would slowly dwindle back to a more normal flush. “Didn’t you notice that everyone else had left Wind Reach? Too hot. It happens sometimes. This is a volcano, did you know?” Not above bragging, Addy turned to fully face Johanne and set her cup down on the bed beside her. “Much more interesting than you thought, eh?”

With her conversational skills in Common severely lacking, Addy knew that she couldn’t just sit and ramble for long, not to mention that it was just a lot of work to even find the energy to speak, thanks to the heat. The pocket of cooler air that had been inside the darkened Infirmary was slowly dissipating. Soon, it would be as hot in here as it was outside. “We need to leave too. I was going down to the Lakes. Would you come?”

OOC :
I had forgotten exactly where we said they were going to go. I THINK it was the lakes, though. :P
x
Aidara
The "i" is silent

Words: 946840
Joined roleplay: October 6th, 2010, 5:20 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 10
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1)
Power Fork (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Bring The Heat

Postby Khara on February 15th, 2015, 9:54 pm

Johanne :
XP:
  • Papermaking +1
  • Observation +2
    Lore:
    • The Heat of a Wind Reach Summer
    • Experiencing Heat Exhaustion
    • Wind Reach: The Infirmary
    • Addy: Another name for Aidara
    • Drinking water helps treat Heat Exhaustion
Comments: Shame this thread was abandoned, it's fun to read culture difference threads like this. Great descriptions though, could almost feel the oppressive heat that Johanne was experiencing!

Aidara: Withheld due to inactivity. Should you return, feel free to PM me and I'll be more than happy to give you your grade!
Please don't hesitate to PM me if you have any questions/comments regarding your grade. I'll be more than happy to take a second look if you think I've missed something!
Also, please don't forget to edit your post as 'graded' in the request thread.
Khara
Lost Little Sparrow

Words: 660741
Joined roleplay: July 4th, 2014, 6:17 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Overlored (1) Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1)
2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)