[Flashback/Training] Wrecking Crew [Siiri]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Taloba, home to the Myrians, is the thriving core of Falyndar. Inhabited by a fierce and savage tribe where blood sacrifices are normal and a way of life, they are untamed and proud of it. Warlike, and with their numbers growing, the Myrians are set on reclaiming what is rightfully theirs. [Lore]

Postby Koa on July 10th, 2010, 7:04 am

40th of Spring 504AV
Purpose: Wrestling with Siiri!

A flash of ebony locks, the sounds of clinking beads and bones and feathers tickling olive cheeks. Sweat dripped down Koa’s temple as her mind exerted itself to focus. Focus as clearly as she could, with her mother’s words penetrating her thoughts.

“Think of yourself as a Myrian tiger, a predator ready for the kill. Ambush tactics, be patient, look for an opening, and then strike. Strike with all the force you can muster, as if that isn’t even enough. Do you understand, Koa?”

“Yes mother,“ came the Myrian girl’s meek response.

“Louder, child, be more efficient, show me your rage.”

“Yes, mother!” She cried, expression stern, body rigid.

“That’s better, now get into your stance, once more. Go.”

And now she stood here, in the face of an opponent, a fellow Myrian. She had her legs bent, her arms raised in anticipation, ready for any incoming blows, any strike that would attempt to land on one of her weak spots. The fellow trainee she was dueling she knew quite well, it was one of her friends, Taro of the Open Palm, from a family of expert combatants. But Koa did not fear, she too came from a vicious family when it came to battle. She would give it her all, because she knew word would get to her mother on her failure or her success, and she longed to bring honor above anything else.

“Come at me, Taro!” She shouted, taunting. Would the other girl move in response? She only hoped so, it would give her an advantage that would put in her in the lead. Strike, deflect, then a knock back. Taro’s lips twitched as if she meant to speak, but instead she moved ever so slightly closer to Koa. In turn, Koa stood her ground, watching with fierce green irises at every inch her feet took, every subtle twitch in her skin. Her fingers slowly curled into fists, ready for the offensive from her opponent.

And indeed, a fraction of a chime later, and Taro had whipped out in an immediate punch, an aim to break through the defense of her arms, but instead of connecting with them, Koa had moved swiftly away, avoiding the move, and lashed out with her own attack, which was unfortunately deflected in a heartbeat with a brown arm. She immediately jumped back, standing stock still, calculating. Taro stood silent, waiting, then a flash and the two were in the heat of the duel once again. Koa kicked out aiming for Taro’s stomach which fortunately connected, forcing the other girl to topple over, but in doing so she had wrapped her arm around Koa’s waist and brought her tumbling down.

In that instant they wrestled themselves on the ground, fists flying and legs flailing, each taking turns settling themselves on top of the other’s stomach, landing punches to face, arms and chest in the heat of the moment. In the end Koa had triumphed, subduing Taro to the point that she cried out, “Stop, stop!”

Koa groaned, “Oh why now? Such a crybaby sometimes, Taro.” Grudgingly she got off her friend, then shot a hand out to help the girl up, “The blood suits your face, it’s like paint.” She grinned, pearly white teeth flashing in the sun.

Taro grunted, wiping her mouth with flat of her palm, “Yeah well you’re just as messy as me.”

“Yeah yeah, good duel, anyway,” she said, waving her hand almost nonchalantly. The training at times was grueling, but what was a Myrian’s lifestyle without a bit of bloodshed? Taro rolled her eyes at Koa, “I’m going to go patch up before the next set, okay? Talk to you later.” She waved at her friend as she skipped off, and Koa was left mulling over the encounter in general. She glanced at her palm, smeared with the red, thick liquid, then closed it into a tight fist. Yes, she succeeded this time, but will she be able to against even tougher opponents?

Walking over to where she had last left her small rag for such things as wiping herself clean of blood and easing the throbbing of bruises, she wiped it along her body. These wouldn’t be a hindrance. No it’d egg her on even more. What’s in the pain but a motivation to end it? She sat on the ground for a time, biting into a ripe and delicious jackalfruit her mother had given her prior to the bouts of training she was to endure for the day.
Last edited by Koa on July 10th, 2010, 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Koa
Player

Words: 33080
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2010, 10:37 pm
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

[Flashback] Wrecking Crew [Siiri]

Postby Siiri on July 10th, 2010, 10:38 am

More often than not, similar aged Myrians in the army would stick together in groups, practicing amongst themselves with the notion that they would more or less be of equal skill. The exceptional ones often moved up a notch and challenged those in older groups to improve and refine their techniques further and perhaps contribute new knowledge to that group. Those who lagged behind in skill level were often ostracized out of their age group and left to “play with the younger 'uns”, as the saying went, a very embarrassing event for the luckless one indeed. It was an unspoken rule among the warriors, implemented by the grunts among themselves while their officers turned a blind eye to the practice. They believed that it encouraged each and everyone to strive better while taking the stance in front of the higher ups that such a system did not exist among the rank and file.

There were also times when those from older groups “headhunted”, checking out prospects from younger generations who were talented enough to be part of their group, not that there was ever any official invitation for them. Said prospects were often dared to run a gauntlet against the group; if they could beat the majority of the warriors of that group, they were free to move up. Siiri was looking out for such talents herself at the moment, sitting under her favorite birch tree as she watched the neophytes take their turn in the wrestling circles. She was sure there were others checking out those in the archery range, as well as the armed melee fighters in the fighting squares.

One in particular caught her eye, a brash, confident youth from the Painted Eyes clan. The girl reminded her of herself, minus the angry streak, though it seemed she favored wrestling over the more conservative form of style that Siiri practiced. She certainly had strength despite her size, dominating her opponent and gaining the top position even when the other girl was the one who put her on her back in the first place. It told Siiri a couple of things. One, it was instinctive for the girl to gain the dominant position, and had the knowledge and skill to achieve it. Two, the fight would end once she achieved said position – a true ground and pounder. This one liked to hit things from the above, where her blows had the added benefit of gravity working for them.

Deciding to find out more about the Painted one, and perhaps her true prowess in the fighting arts as well, Siiri strolled over, approaching from behind. Her movements were easy, relaxed. “Nice fight just now. It's great to see new recruits confident enough to show off their skills. You have no idea how long I've been looking around to find someone who knows what they're doing on the mat,” she said, forcing relief in her voice. She offered to clasp forearms, introducing herself. “Siiri. Care to give me some pointers? My group's threatening to kick me out because I suck worse than a fat leech at wrestling.” Of all the things she said, the last was the only one that wasn't a lie but it might as well have been. Every wrestler in her group got fits in trying to stymie her fighting style. She hoped the glaring tattoo of the crocodile on her left arm didn't give away her martial arts discipline. There were a lot of different styles out there anyway, she thought. This girl couldn't possibly link the mark of the Snapping Jaws clan to a specific one.
Apologies to everyone I'm threading with, but it's like the Danaides for me right now.
==/==
"If it doesn't solve all your problems, maybe you're not using enough of it." - Violence
Siiri
Beast of Prey

Words: 521753
Joined roleplay: September 18th, 2009, 3:22 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Koa on July 10th, 2010, 7:40 pm

Koa hadn’t expected someone would come up to her anytime soon. Usually her fellow trainees would go about picking the ones that weren’t quite as littered with bruises and cuts as she was, but when she turned to look at the woman, she realized she was older. Ah yes, she had seen her before, but she couldn’t quite place what family she was from. Maybe it had slipped her mind, but when she began to speak, Koa stood, swallowing the remains of the fruit and wiping off her hands on her skin-tight leather leggings.

“You don’t have to flatter, I’m not used to it, anyway, and it doesn’t usually work unless you actually mean it.“ A coy smile. The younger girl obliged Siiri and clasped forearms, giving her a tight grip, then released a second later. “Siiri… From the Snapping Jaws clan, right? I’m Koa. Wait… were you the one that messed up that crocodile out in the jungle?“ Then a pause, of course this wasn’t the time to relay histories, instead she decided to return the discussion back to it’s original intent. “Pointers? Oh, you mean you were watching that little duel just now?” She smirked, glancing back at the wrestling ring. “It’s kind of strange finding an older more experienced Myrian such as yourself asking for pointers from someone like me.” The word “experienced” was laced with sarcasm, but she meant no harm in it.

She thought for a moment, tapping her chin with an olive finger. “Well, I tend to go about wrestling like the habits of a hidden jaguar. Kind of like an ambush.” She glanced back at Siiri, demonstrating with harms held up knees bent, completely stock still with eyes focused directly onto the older girl’s. Not even blinking, yet her lips still moved. “You lie in wait, make them nervous, edgy, maybe even a taunt or two, and then you don’t move until they’ve moved first, that’s the rule. Let them charge, let them stay there for hours, you won’t make the first move. Always wait.”

She shook her head then, standing up straight and stretching her arms up toward the sky. “There’s really nothing complicated about it. It’s just a style us Painted Eyes have used for centuries. We even incorporate it into armed combat, since it’s incredibly useful. Hidden Fang, my mother calls it.” She looked Siiri over then, taking in her taller stature, her confident expression. She was indeed something to behold, how could she contain her fierce demeanor in front of a potential teacher or a friend? “Say… did you want to duel?” She added, grinning.
Last edited by Koa on July 11th, 2010, 5:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Koa
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Siiri on July 10th, 2010, 10:40 pm

Okay, so everyone knew about the crocodile incident, Siiri thought, chagrined. She didn't confirm or deny the fact however, merely shrugging. Plastering a smile on her face, Siiri did not say much as the younger girl spoke, only making a lame excuse about always looking out for those with skill and learning from them when she got called out on her experience as an older warrior, adding that looks could be deceiving. It was an apt line, as those who truly knew Siiri would have asked if she was ill, so long did she maintain the pleasant expression. Her scarred visage was much more used to frowns and scowls. But the other girl didn't know that so it worked for her.

She tuned Koa out as the girl described her fighting style. It was quite similar to what she herself employed in unarmed combat, the initial part of waiting for the opponent to make the first move at least. What came after the first strike was the difference: where as the girl of the Painted Eyes would leave her opponent a quivering ball of pain with her blows, Siiri often left them unconscious or with broken bones, though she never let it get that far in practice. Eventually, she hoped to see how their different styles matched up.

She didn't have to wait too long it seemed. When Koa offered to spar, Siiri restrained her smile from blossoming into a full grin. This way, she would get what she wanted from the girl, which was to duel, without making it seem like she challenged her for it. Now she only had to play possum a little bit more. It was almost unfair, baiting Koa like this, but Siiri thought it would be a good learning experience for the girl anyway. If she didn't know about the little games the warriors played on each other in the yard, she would find out about it now.

“I wouldn't mind a little practice. Never pass up a chance to learn, right?” she said, grinning now. More bait. Siiri wasn't used to playing down her skill but at least it wouldn't be as embarrassing if Koa actually kicked her ass. “Go easy on the wrestling idiot?” she asked, mustering as much sheepish innocence in her voice as possible.

Siiri backed up now, giving Koa space to ready herself for the bout. Assuming the traditional fighting stance - left foot forward, right foot back and bearing most of her weight - she knew she would have to be the aggressor in the first moments of the fight to maintain her facade.

“First one to call out 'I quit' loses, yes?”
Apologies to everyone I'm threading with, but it's like the Danaides for me right now.
==/==
"If it doesn't solve all your problems, maybe you're not using enough of it." - Violence
Siiri
Beast of Prey

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Koa on July 11th, 2010, 12:17 am

Koa nearly laughed at Siiri’s response. Learn. Learn what? How to beat a girl down? It should have been an innate ability by now, inherited by just about everyone, but instead Koa’s lips twitched in a scoff. “Okay, miss I-don’t-know-how-wrestle, we‘ll see.” Was the older girl bluffing? She wasn’t entirely sure, but hell if she ever backed down from using her full potential on anyone. If winning meant she had to break a her own bone or someone else’s, who really gave a damn?

Bam, bam, bam. Just let those arms build up with sheer strength and she’d be as determined as she was when she fended off animals in the jungle wilds. Whatever, this was a duel, losing to an older Myrian wouldn’t bring as much shame to her as losing to one of her own, but the prospect of losing at all caused her fists to clench tightly and her lips to part in a snarl. Hell no, she was going to win, she was going to beat down this Siiri and show her just exactly who was the dominant one here.

When Siiri began her stance, Koa too fell back to her own defensive position. Sideways, her eyes locked onto the older girl’s, knees bent and hands held up with open palms. Her entire body went rigid, with no particular limb sporting more wait than the other. Equal balance all in all. She was utterly focused, because this was a true test, regardless of if Siiri really was lacking in the wrestling department.

“Sure,” She responded curtly, eyes flashing. It was then her face went completely blank. A slate that held no emotion, just the brewing patience hidden deep in her skin. Oh yes, she’d wait now, but after having told Siiri the basics of her style, she wondered if their duel would be composed of two women standing still for hours on end, until someone finally caved in. She smirked to herself. How boring that would quickly become, and she pondered for a moment, the possibility of being the first to strike should it come to that.

“Tell me, Siiri, do you like to dance?” Now what was the girl going on about now? Whether she was trying to catch the older girl off guard or if she was merely trying to make small talk wouldn’t be as evident, but her voice was dripping with feigned curiosity.
Koa
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Siiri on July 11th, 2010, 9:37 pm

And there is it.

Siiri watched the girl assume a defensive posture, closing up the vulnerable points of her body from direct attack. She presented a narrower profile, her arms and legs ready to block anything her opponent might throw at her.

So she like's to turtle before going into the offensive.

The older Myrian circled left, threatening to attack Koa's right side. The younger one was throwing taunts at her, perhaps intended to distract her more than anything else. She merely shook her head, amused that the girl would still keep talking while the fight was on more than to answer the question. She gave her a grin and it was different now than the ones she showed before. It was dark and predatory, one that promised pain.

Siiri took a quick step forward with her left foot then, only to sidestep to the direction of her other foot, a move designed to surprise the unwary and off-balance them. Her right foot lashed out as soon as it touched the ground, throwing a snap kick at Koa's opposite thigh, an attack meant to check if the girl would block with her shin or catch the limb with her arm. Siiri kept her own arms up, protecting her face from any counterpunch.

This was just the feeling out process. Let's see how you react. Maybe you'd be dancing to my tune.
==/==
Siiri
Beast of Prey

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Koa on July 12th, 2010, 5:55 am

Oh yes. Turtles were Koa’s specialty. That silent bitch that just loves pissing her opponent off. The easier to take them down with, after all. At least that was her mentality. The younger girl smirked at Siiri, noting her darker demeanor now, that sudden change in expectancy and vibe. So she was bluffing, what a bother.

Koa smiled sweetly at Siiri, eyes flashing with brewing tension and adrenaline coursing through her veins. Then the girl had made a move, she watched carefully, eyes trained on every limb, and she budged herself, putting the weight of her body on her right foot, which was placed forward. Wrong move, she was caught off guard, and with a quick kick as well. Koa twisted her legs then as quickly as she could, her arm shot forward, wrapped around Siiri’s leg to soak the blow.

And it hurt, bad. Damn! She cursed in her mind, lips parting to expel a muted hiss. Her thigh throbbed, but hell if she was going to back down in the first few minutes. She had caught the kick, and she launched her own assault on the older Myrian then. She brought her knee up instead to strike at Siiri’s stomach, avoiding her face or her upper torso for now. But if she could get her on the ground it would be easier, just hoping the hit wouldn’t be deflected wouldn’t be enough.

With bruised fists she rained down an assault on Siiri’s defenses, attempting to weaken her, to put her off balance or provide an opening to take her down. She was determined to make this as short and sweet as possible.
Koa
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Siiri on July 12th, 2010, 3:01 pm

Abdominal muscles knotted as Siiri absorbed the knee to her gut. She was expecting it, giving her time enough to brace for impact but that did not mean it didn't hurt. It did, almost knocking the wind out of her in fact. Myri knew what it would have felt like if she had caught it unawares. In an attempt to give herself time to recover, she backed up, accepting the numerous blows Koa threw on her forearms. Bones and muscles hardened by years of training, both limbs were as tough as the fists that pounded on them. Koa would find out there was no give in Siiri's defense. Each blow only

The scion of the Snapping Jaws clan eyed the younger girl curiously. It was obvious Koa liked to hit more than she liked using her wrestling to take her opponents down. Siiri half expected to be on her back already with the opening she gave when she threw her first kick. Well, if she wasn't make a grab for it, Siiri will keep using it, maybe eventually knock the legs out from under the girl. Wrestlers needed their legs to charge forth and push their opponents off balance to the ground. Trashed legs couldn't do much of that.

In a dizzying display of speed and strength, Siiri threw a combination, lunging forward with a right – a feint – followed by a straight left and ended with another kick aimed at the same area of Koa's she targeted earlier. This time however, her kick was no simple snap of the leg, but a forceful attack with her full power behind it. It wouldn't just bruise the muscle of the limb it hit but also put strain on the bone underneath as well. When her shin connected with Koa's thigh – and certainly there was no way it wouldn't! – she'd be surprised if the girl didn't buckle right there and then.

Point for Snapping Jaws, zero for Painted Eyes, Siiri thought smugly.
==/==
Siiri
Beast of Prey

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Koa on July 13th, 2010, 1:54 am

Of course she’d deflect, it was obvious and painfully predictable. Koa would ponder in her mind the possibilities and the outcome of the next set of assaults from Siiri, whilst she showered her with fists and rampaging fury. Even if she wouldn’t get past the defenses, at least she would paint her skin black and blue for the days to come. Her knuckles were becoming raw and bloody from the sheer pressure of it. No pain, however, the adrenaline would keep her from it.

Her heart raced, and when the older girl lashed out with another kick to her thigh she bit her tongue to keep herself from yelping in alarm. Instead, she forced a laugh to escape her throat when she succumbed under the pressure and fell to her knees. “Good one, Siiri of the Snapping Jaws! But hell if I let you get away with that.” As she said this, she propelled her body forward on her one good leg, hooked her arm around the back of Siiri’s knees and pulled her weight back, using her opposite foot to trip the older girl and forcing her knees to buckle and her body to come crashing down.

When in doubt use the opponent’s strength against them.

Koa wouldn’t waste a second, at once she had straddled Siiri, an instant battle for dominance, and one she was determined to win. Her thigh throbbed but she pushed it in the back of her mind. Let her bones break for all she cared, she would not lose. Strong hands wrapped themselves under Siiri’s arms, trying to force her on her stomach to pin her down.
Koa
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Siiri on July 14th, 2010, 4:44 am

Siiri did not struggle against the pressure her opponent mounted upon her. The girl should be surprised and a little leery of that fact if she was paying attention but both of them were caught up with the heat of the moment. As Siiri fell on her back, she grabbed the back of Koa’s head and pressed it tightly against her abdomen, preventing her from scrambling forward for a full mount. At the same time, the older Myrian spread her legs open, only to wrap them around the waist of her opponent. She grabbed her left leg by the foot, pulling it up to frame Koa’s right arm and head, isolating both from the rest of her body. Hooking that same leg’s foot immediately under the knee of her other leg, Siiri clamped the hold shut, and, like the crocodile’s jaws her clan name was named after, locked her thighs tight to block off the flow of blood up the other girl’s head. If Koa did not break the triangle choke in the next few seconds, she would pass out from oxygen depravation of the brain.

The girl was sweaty from her previous match, however.

Slippery.

Siiri felt the give in her tenuous hold on Koa. If the Painted one broke free from her, she would be left in a vulnerable position on her back while Koa had a split second advantage to recover her wits. Siiri only had that small window to get back to her feet and return their fight into an even footing. She tried to grab Koa’s isolated arm to keep her in place, but her own arms felt heavy and slow, the accumulated effect of the other girl’s blows finally making themselves felt.

Stay still!
==/==
Siiri
Beast of Prey

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Next