Completed Yet More Study [Castor]

Castor and Tsaba take a closer look at Auristics

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Yet More Study [Castor]

Postby Tsaba on June 13th, 2013, 1:04 am

Tsaba had no idea whether she'd violated some social norm by asking, or whether Castor was sincere in his sudden dislike of kelp beer, so she answered with a nice, non-confrontational shrug. "Another time, then."

When he asked about the rune sites, Tsaba once again regretted the detail of her notes. If she could blush, her face would have been on fire. "Um, not really. The Daek-Nuit creates new Nuit, and takes a master animator. But we draw the runes to change bodies. They're... well, I don't know the theory very well, it's just something we do. In fact I'm taking Glyphing this year partly because I want to see if there's a connection. But I think they might be anchor sites? For the soul? Or... some kind of identifier for it, anyway.

"So," she said quickly. "Um, project? Any ideas for research? I'm thinking we're going to need at least one other Aurist. Now, there is a kid I promised to teach staying at the university; he's young, but he has no experience, so we'd be able to observe him from the start."
Thanks to Abstract for the lovely boxcode!
Tsaba
Player

Words: 200581
Joined roleplay: May 26th, 2013, 10:57 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)

Yet More Study [Castor]

Postby Castor Riley on June 13th, 2013, 1:29 am

Castor listened and noted the information dutifully. So, Nuit couldn't just jump from one body to the next on a whim, there was preparation to be done. It was logical, of course, and he noticed she hadn't drawn the actual glyphs. As he was also doing Glyphing, he also considered that such powerful symbols would be interesting to know. However, he also noted how uncharacteristically quickly she moved to the next subject. Castor was used to Tsaba patiently and methodically analysing every aspect of subjects she was interested in, so he got the feeling that her topic change might be because it had made her uncomfortable. He wondered why that might be, but then he thought of the positioning of the runes and blushed himself. How thoughtless of him! He thought it best if he didn't bring up the subject any more, even to apologise, so he focused on the actual subject of their meeting.

"A subject? I agree it would be best to have another Aurist. I'm not so sure having one new to Auristics is a good idea though. I'd feel more comfortable if we could find someone already competent in the practice; I'd rather not risk a novice overgiving on us," he said, though, inwardly, he was even more interested in the development of the magic. He wondered if there was some way to influence the ability towards manifesting in a particular sense. "Though that might be hard to do. Even if someone does know Auristics, they may not be willing to share that information. If we can't find anyone more suitable, I guess the novice will have to do." A thought occured to him then. "Who is it, by the way? Someone I know? And how did you find him?"
Always open for a thread! Feel free to PM me!
Mailbox
Castor Riley
Player

Words: 127927
Joined roleplay: April 23rd, 2013, 11:59 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Yet More Study [Castor]

Postby Tsaba on June 13th, 2013, 1:54 am

"His name's Arvan. He's a young Kelvic whose room is near mine," she shrugged. "I guess we can look for more experienced Aurists, but I don't know how many we'll find who will cooperate. This place isn't exactly Sahova. And I promised to teach him anyway, so whether we observe him or not, overgiving is still a risk. I figured your theoretical grounding might be a good defence against that. Well, that and I've never taught anyone before." Tsaba would prefer not to have to pay anyone to cooperate. Arvan would probably do so happily in exchange for training, even from a novice and a non-user. But Castor's point about overgiving was a good one; if somebody overgave in their study group, it could have negative consequences.

"You know," she said slowly, "they make new magic students tour the less dangerous overgiven students in the infirmary. Have you ever wondered whether overgiving has an effect on the aura? It would have to, wouldn't it?" She bit her lip. "I mean, I need a better idea of how to properly read a normal aura first, but it'd be an interesting thing to find out."
Tsaba
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Yet More Study [Castor]

Postby Castor Riley on June 13th, 2013, 2:21 am

Hmmm, a Kelvic, an extra dimension to the potential research. Can a Kelvic use Auristics in their animal form? Is it the same in both? "I see your point," he said, finally, "but I hope you realise we'll be taking a big risk by going forward with this. If any magical harm comes to that boy, we could get expelled, or worse. I'm not sure how comfortable I am doing this with a Kelvic as well. They are so uneducated, it feels like we might be taking advantage of his ignorance. We'll have to have a serious talk with him first, until we're certain he comprehends the dangers before we do anything else, I think."

Turning his attention to the second matter she brought up, he felt inclined to agree with her. "Yes, that would be very interesting. Maybe we can set it up so our class can go together? I don't know if they allow magic use in there though." He shivered a bit at the thought of the Asylum. How much sadness and misery might be accumulated in that one place? "I don't think you'd like what you'd see though..." he ended, sombrely.
Mailbox
Castor Riley
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Yet More Study [Castor]

Postby Tsaba on June 13th, 2013, 2:44 am

"Hmm, good point. On both counts." Tsaba needed to pay more attention to the whole 'ethics' thing. On Sahova things would get done a lot faster. "I guess we'll have to look for more experienced Aurists, then. If we keep relying on a single person, we're not going to get much useful data." She nevertheless noted the suggestions on Arvan and the infirmary, each with a short explanation of the problem -- perhaps there would be ways around them. "You know, it occurs to me that I don't know much about what you study, apart from Auristics. I imagine you're rather more well-read than I am. Do you look at anything else? Any other magic? History? Culture?" Tsaba wasn't in Zeltiva just for Auristics, after all. She had to remember that. She had to remember not to become too focused.

She was there to learn about the world. spending all her time on something she could learn more easily in sahova would just be a complete waste.
Tsaba
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Yet More Study [Castor]

Postby Castor Riley on June 13th, 2013, 9:01 am

Castor nodded his agreement to Tsaba's proposition; they'd definitely need more than one subject. Her question about his other studies was a bit unexpected, but not unwelcome. "I don't know about being more well-read, you definitely have quite a few years of research on me. Last season I was doing Literature and History. I wrote an essay on Auristics and Poetry for the first, and did research on the Denval Disaster for the latter. This season, I'm keeping on with History, as well as Magic. I'll be doing Glyphing, while I also put last season's research into a thesis on the Denvali's trials to arrive in Zeltiva."

"What about you? What kind of research did you perform on Sahova?" he looked at her interestedly. It was something that had been on his mind, since he'd realised how differently things were done on Sahova, but he had yet to ask it, as the subject had never come up. Now, he waited for the answer expectantly.
Mailbox
Castor Riley
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Yet More Study [Castor]

Postby Tsaba on June 14th, 2013, 3:33 pm

"Not... not much," Tsaba said evasively. "I'm quite young, for a Nuit, and the change is sometimes hard to adjust to. I worked under Craun, looking at the properties of some of the Sahovan plants, but I was more a note-taker than anything. And a bookbinder; I repaired books sometimes. But Sahovan books don't get damaged much. Nobody damages a book more than once." She didn't understand most of what Castor had said about his own research, but it would probably just slow them down more to ask for clarification.

"So I guess the question is, where do we go from here?" Tsaba doubted that Castor would want her looking at any auras after her experience experimenting on her own. She probably needed to slow down in general. "I mean, without an experienced Aurist to help us out, or a few subjects to experiment with, we're sort of limited in what we can do here. We could just read more, but I suspect you've read most of the library's Auristics collection as it is. So unless you know of some magical barrier against overgiving so I can just keep pushing, we're going to be moving at snail's-pace unless we have something new to explore." As if for inspiration, she thumbed through First Glances, then paused. "Last time you gave me some very useful information on mainland culture, specifically in relation to Nuits. Why don't you tell me about magic? I haven't seen very many wizards about. I mean, I know I'm comparing this place to a giant magical research facility, but still. And the university seems very... emphatic about how it only teaches magical theory. I grew up in Sunberth where magic was rather strongly frowned upon, but Craun had always told me most of Syliras was different. And yet, what I've seen so far..."
Tsaba
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Yet More Study [Castor]

Postby Castor Riley on June 14th, 2013, 10:59 pm

The way Tsaba had said that no one damaged a book on Sahova more than once made a slight chill go down Castor's spine, but he decided to let it go. He wasn't sure he wanted to know the answer to the question he had formed in his mind. He simply nodded and focused instead on her concerns about the research project.

"Well, I wouldn't say I've read most of the library's collection, though perhaps quite a bit of it. Though I have read enough to give me a proper understanding of the subject, there's still much I haven't had the time to. It is a respectably-sized collection, after all, and I've only been here for a season." He liked that he'd given her the impression that he'd read quite that much, but he didn't want to take credit for a feat he had yet to accomplish. There were just so many new things to learn, he had difficulty devoting himself to just one subject. Her next question about mainland attitudes toward magic was one he'd thought obvious, but he'd often found with Tsaba that some of the things he thought obvious were foreign concepts to her, and he was sure the reverse must be true for him.

"Well, I can't really say about the rest of Sylira, though I imagine the views to be largely the same, but I can tell you about Syliras and what I've seen of Zeltiva. In Syliras, magic is tolerated, but rather distrusted and frowned upon. There are people in the Syliran Knights who use magic, but anyone else who uses it has to be really careful, or they might find themselves in a difficult situation. As for Zeltiva, I'd say it's more accepted, because they're all 'enlightened' and everything, but most non-wizards are still uncomfortable anyway. Does that help?"
Mailbox
Castor Riley
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Yet More Study [Castor]

Postby Tsaba on June 16th, 2013, 9:33 am

Tsaba nodded. "It does, thank you." So she should probably focus on the 'scribe' part of her identity and tone down the 'magic' part. That shouldn't be a problem. "If that's the case, finding more Aurists might be a little difficult. Putting up fliers or something could attract... unwanted attention, and frankly I have no idea how to track them down. More experienced Aurists probably aren't going to be hanging around book-learning in the Auristics section." Which also raised the question of how exactly to convince them to hang around book-learning in the Auristics section.

"I guess if we find a couple of Aurists, thought, they're likely to know more, right?" She bit her lip. "Maybe the university is the wrong place to look. Maybe we should be looking among professionals for whom Auristics would be useful in their trade. Doctors, craftsmen... trackers, maybe?" She frowned. Admittedly, she wasn't entirely sure how Auristics was used in the world, aside from medically. With that in mind, it wasn't too hard to see why people were nervous aroung others who could read their auras for no apparent reason. It'd be like wearing full armour and a sword down to the market; except, of course, that Aurists couldn't just stop being Aurists, they still possessed the power even if they weren't actively using it. Still, that could make things difficult.
Tsaba
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Yet More Study [Castor]

Postby Castor Riley on June 17th, 2013, 2:55 pm

Castor listened as Tsaba spoke, and quickly responded after she was done: "Oh, actually, I think fliers would be a fine solution. I hope I didn't give you the wrong idea, Zeltivans aren't a violent sort or anything. People look at you funny just for carrying a weapon. I think they'd express their discomfort in a much more passive way, and then only if you used magic in front of them. I think the average Zeltivan wouldn't really care either way about someone looking for an Aurist and would just ignore it and carry on."

He then considered Tsaba's suggestions about finding Aurists. "That sounds like a great idea. I'm not sure what professionals in town might have auristics, but it should be generally useful in trade, as it can let you know the quality of objects and perhaps the emotional state of a buyer... We could try checking out the West Street businesses, making some discreet questions, though it might still be awkward to ask random people whether they have magic or not. We can use fliers on University grounds, which should be a more open-minded audience anyway, to cover that area." Castor was starting to get excited as their research project began to take shape. "I think we may need to offer a monetary incentive in order to get people to actually participate though. Your novice Aurist will probably be the only one willing to do so for free, and that's because he's getting teaching out of it." He added thoughtfully.
Mailbox
Castor Riley
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

PreviousNext