A Mixed Fellowship (Closed)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

While Sylira is by far the most civilized region of Mizahar, countless surprises and encounters await the traveler in its rural wilderness. Called the Wildlands, Syliran's wilderness is comprised of gradual rolling hills in the south that become deep wilderness in the north. Ruins abound throughout the wildlands, and only the well-marked roads are safe.

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on July 13th, 2010, 6:19 am

45th Summer, 510 A.V.

Midsummer dawn was breaking beautifully over the horizon and Sam felt, for the first time in a long time, like he was on the path of his destiny. There was a restive energy between Horse and him today, the stallion frisking and disobeying as if he knew that Sam wouldn't have the heart to rein him in. Not then. Not as they were cutting a sharp figure on a rise not far from the city gates where he had planned to meet Aren and Aiken.

Every once in a while he felt a thrill of doubt. Would he be able to count on them to accompany him to Endrykas to see if there was any home for him there, an orphan of violence, a motherless child? It didn't do to worry. If they came, he would have company, and the chances of a safe arrival would be higher. If they did not, he would have to go anyway, trust in himself and in Horse as he had done always for the past two years. Trust, and then pray to the gods for aid in realizing his dream.

He had said his goodbyes, though he had called them until-next-times. His packs were full of foodstuffs and trade goods, and what little coin he owned. His weapons were at the ready, and his heart was singing a litany of joyous anticipation. His brown eyes flew back to the city gates to look for an Akalak warrior, then to the treeline for a running wolf. It was time to be off.
Sama'el Sunsinger
Not all those that wander are lost.

Words: 718167
Joined roleplay: March 15th, 2010, 6:26 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Aiken on July 14th, 2010, 12:05 am

Out from the wildlands emerged a naked man, half covered in blood not his own. He strolled up to the trail towards Sam and Horse

"Well, I'm fed and ready. I don't mind any pace, by the way. I was given legs for a reason, right?" Truthfully, Aiken was happy to be getting away from the same thing every day. He wanted to see these grasslands he heard about. He remembered the small leather bag in his hand, something for Sam.

"Here. These are for you. I don't know of anything I can use them for. There's about half of what I had. Sorry if they're dirty." He handed the bag towards Sam. Inside was Aiken's "bank," fifty golden mizas dug up from the spot in the forest near the apple trees and the big-rock-sunset-spot. They weren't in pristine condition, but that wasn't to say they were covered with dirt beyond recognition.

"I don't care what you do with them. But I never used any of them, never had the need."
Aiken
Player

Words: 33294
Joined roleplay: June 4th, 2010, 3:48 am
Blog: View Blog (2)
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on July 14th, 2010, 2:11 am

The young Drykas grinned at Aiken's approach; at least one of his hoped-for companions had made it. He hoped Aren, if he was as good as his word and showed up, wouldn't be unduly upset by Aiken's human garb. Sam didn't mind; they were beyond the gates of Syliras already and their ideas of propriety.

"I'm sure you'll be able to keep up," he said with quiet good humor. And then the kelvic, whom he had met thrice now, handed him his money. Sam wasn't sure quite how to take that. In his experience, people didn't give away money without getting something in return.

"I... thank you." He blinked, hefting the pouch of coins. "Does this mean...?"

He shook his head. "We're just waiting on a large Akalak fellow with a scythe and then we can be on our way." He smiled. "It's good to have you with me, Aiken. Welcome."
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Aren on July 14th, 2010, 6:36 am

Once past the gates that protected the city of Syliras, Aren spotted a familiar young man on a horse, as well as an unfamiliar individual sporting a conspicuous lack of attire. The Akalak approached the duo, which seemed to be friends, by the manner in which they spoke to each other.

"Morning Sammy. Morning, wee naked... bloody child." Aren really didn't know what to think of this second man, but he realized it was likely he was yet another companion on this merry trip. The covered-in-blood part certainly struck him as... peculiar, maybe even worrisome, but murderers didn't generally do their killing in the nude.

"I wouldn't recommend crossing the Sea of Grass with your, uh, scimitar there flailing in the breeze. Never know what might take it for a snack and..." Aren mimicked a snapping jaw with his right hand, grimacing as he imagined the thought.

"I've got a set of clothing in this here bag of mine, if you want it."

Fortunately for his eyes, the Akalak had brought his traveling pack with him, and it just so happened that the naked man didn't seem all that much smaller than him. Hopefully, he'd take Aren's advice and cover himself the hell up.

As he turned his head away from the unpleasant sight in front of him, the Akalak was reminded that there might just be one more person along for the ride. And so, he looked back towards the gate, expecting to see a familiar face at any moment.
Aren
By Wysar's blue balls!

Words: 434994
Joined roleplay: May 28th, 2010, 6:44 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Wystern on July 14th, 2010, 7:47 am

Departure doesn't have to be difficult. It seemed like his whole life Wys was running away from something; thieves, Sunberth, committed relationship, and now Syliras. He smirked at the thought, riding his warhorse to the gate. He was now leaving Syliras to find himself. He packed his bags, he said his goodbyes, he put on his armor, and now he was smiling from ear to ear at the thought of leaving the city behind. Time to look for something more interesting than hunting mostly defenseless thieves.

The smile faded as he saw a naked man, accompanied by another man on a horse and Aren. He would judge that the man was Kelvic, but he didn't have to, he already knew. Kam gave him a loincloth some time ago, which apparently wasn't put to a good use, if any. Not Wystern's problem, look away, and become oblivious. Annoyances come in threes, first is up, where are the next two?

"Hello everyone. To those who don't know me, my name's Wystern. Anything before we get underway?"

If gods are watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining.
Wystern
Syliran Knight.

Words: 160798
Joined roleplay: May 19th, 2010, 11:42 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on July 14th, 2010, 11:03 pm

Sam was about to greet Aren and make introductions when a young knight showed up, apparently the fourth wheel on their ... travel ... thing. He blinked, but asked no questions. Another sword could only help them. A Syliran knight would keep them safe while in Sylira, and his sword would be of use in the grasslands of Cyphrus. He nodded to the man.

"Well met, sir." Then, introductions: "Aiken, these are Aren and Sir Wystern. Aren and Sir Wystern, this is Aiken. His lack of clothing is temporary. He'll have fur while we travel, anyway."

It didn't bother him, but when you grew up watching horses mating, the facts of life lost whatever mystery they might have.

"Shall we?" he asked, wheeling Horse to the southwest.
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Aiken on July 15th, 2010, 3:38 pm

"Clothing is... less than appealing, sorry. I'd rather be able to shift, if you didn't mind, but I'll remember the offer if the need arises." Aiken was glad to see that he didn't need to tilt his head that much to look at the blue man's face. He was used to be taller than almost everyone, so he was surprised to see someone taller.

"Actually, I think I've met this knight before. Not entirely certain, but he looks similar. Either way, well met. Both of you." He smiled looking between them before looking back up to Sam.

"I'm ready as ever."
Aiken
Player

Words: 33294
Joined roleplay: June 4th, 2010, 3:48 am
Blog: View Blog (2)
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on July 16th, 2010, 2:42 am

"Well," Sam said dubiously, "Aren brought a friend, so you two can double for now. I suppose after a few hours, we can give Wystern's mount a break and Horse can carry double for a while. This is what I get for assuming everyone has a horse..." He smiled ruefully and then nodded to Aiken before turning his own mount to the road.

They rode all day, and Sam did share his saddle with Aren for the afternoon, which only bothered Horse for about an hour. Their pace was not unduly grueling, but they still managed to make good time, though Sam thought Aiken might have been a bit bored. If they had all had horses, they might have galloped sometimes, but one could only work with what one had and Sam wasn't going to complain for having a Syliran knight in his company.

When they made camp, duties were meted out equally. Sam suggested they keep a watch between the four of them and thus, everyone had plenty of sleep knowing that someone was standing guard over their bedrolls. Sam didn't bother pitching his tent. The summer was warm and the bowl of the sky was spangled with stars and the warm night air was full of insect songs.

It wasn't until the next day that they spotted another camp [Kegan's], and decided to say hello. From afar, it looked like a small camp, and so they had numbers on their side.

"Ho, stranger!" Sam called ahead, riding Horse alone while knight and Akalak warrior shared the other horse.

OOCThis would be where we pause so Kegan can say hello. :)
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kegan Emrick on July 16th, 2010, 6:50 pm

It was another day in the Wildlands for Kegan. He had just finished his morning hunt with his trusted companion Arnett, his shaggy white Manitora. Arnett had been with Kegan for a couple years now. He had been with Arnett since he left home when he was sixteen. Now he was nineteen and Arnett was three. They were seasoned friends and allies. Nothing could tear them apart. 

Kegan hung a limp rabbit over the fire and looked down at Arnett. "Sorry that we have been eating rabbit so much. Deer have been scarce lately. Don't worry brother. We will have venison soon enough." he said turning the rabbit slowly. Arnett let out a small woof and bit into his breakfast. Kegan had always refered to Arnett as his brother. Never in a million years would he ever say he had a dog or owned Arnett. To Kegan Arnett was as much his brother as his real brothers. The Emrick family was known for living closely with animals though. The animals had come to know the family and were as kind to them as the family was. They were all strong worshipers of Caiyha, the goddess of flora and fauna, and her many children. Although, each person in the family tended to gravitate towards only one of her children. For Kegan is was Oriana, the goddess of bears and motherhood. Yes, it was an odd goddess for him to choose but it was the one whom he felt the most connection to. When he was young he had gotten lost and he found bear tracks lined in the ground. He had followed them and they had led him home. Oriana was known for guiding lost children home. Wether or not Oriana was to thank for Kegan's safe return he felt a strong connection to her from that day. The loving worship for the motherly goddess had gotten a good deal of teasing from his brothers but he stood his ground. He knew that he felt. 

Just as Kegan and Arnett were finishing their breakfast a group of four men riding on four horses rode in. The man in front who appeared to be Drykas offered a friendly hello. Kegan stood up and Arnett padded to his side protectivly. "Hello strangers. My name is Kegan Emrick and this is Arnett." he said motioning to Arnett. Arnett panted and flicked his ear as a bug flew past. "Welcome to my camp. I didn't expect to have visitors so it is sort of messy but you are welcome to stay as long as you like. What brings you to the wildlands?" he asked. Kegan took account of the men gathered in front of him. There was a human and from the looks of him, a Syrlirian Knight. There was a man who appeared to be Drykas. The third man he could not figure out. He was half naked and appeared to be human but something told Kegan he wasn't. The last man was the easiest to figure out. He was Akalak. He had grown up around them in his home in Riverfall but his family lived seperate from the all male race. The Akalak had always interested Kegan. He wondered if welcoming this group of men into his camp was the best idea but was done was done and now he had to hope for the best.

Kegan Emrick
Wandering Nature Lover

Words: 17143
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2010, 5:54 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on July 16th, 2010, 7:41 pm

"Well met, Kegan," he replied with a friendly smile. After all, return kindness with kindness and there was less of a chance for knives to get pulled. "I'm Sam. My, ah, companions and I are headed for Endrykas at the moment. We just left Syliras yesterday."

Glancing back at his comrades, he shrugged.

"I suppose we might as well rest for a bit here, but we'll most likely move on after we take care of the horses and all. Don't want to stretch your hospitality."

Aiken, of course, was running in his wolf form alongside the two horses carrying three riders. Sam slipped off Horse with the greatest of ease; he had been in a saddle before he could walk. He figured the others could introduce themselves if they would. It might be polite in certain society to give everyone's name, but out in the wild sometimes men didn't like to be known.

OOCSorry, just trying to clarify the logistics of horses-to-people ratio. And Aiken may or may not have shifted... :)
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next