[Flashback] Waves Within the Forest

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Far below the water's surface is the living coralline city of the Charodae, Charbosi. Inaccessible to those who cannot breathe underwater, Charbosi is a city of culture and peace. [Lore]

[Flashback] Waves Within the Forest

Postby Ayla on August 18th, 2009, 11:34 am

Timestamp: 403 AV

Twist. Spiral, turn, down, straight straight straight, spiral! Twist! Turn, slow backwards. Float... glide... Corkscrew! Twist, glide. Slow up... slow down... be the wave...

The massive strands of kelp barely registered her passage. Of course, the young Charoda was 5' 4", and weighed maybe 80 pounds, while the individual strands of kelp were often over 200 feet tall and thicker at their bases then her torso. The Kelp Forest, borrowing a word from the landwalkers, was her favored place to practice. Here she was alone. Here the kelp hid her awkward movements, her changing voice. Even her skin was changing. Lightening in color, which while not rare, was unusual. Before her eyes and skin had matched the kelp almost perfectly. Now her skin was closer towards the water near the surface.

She continued her practice, twisting and cavorting through the upper regions of the forest. She wove higher and higher through the forest, going through a single particularly long routine that culminated in one of her favorite moves. As she broached the "canopy" of the kelp, her arms spread wide, and she evened out on an equal plane to the ceiling of her world.

As she slowed, she watched the surface of the water. Being this close she could observe the waves. She loved to watch the surface, to dream of what it was like up there. But then her internal count reached ten, and she resumed her routine. She twisted her body gracefully, facing down the kelp, gazing into the murky depths, her arms held tight to her sides. And then she forcefully kicked her legs, and started speeding downwards.

Faster. Faster, faster, more speed. Circle around the kelp stalk. Spiral down it. The falling rock. Faster, faster still. Ayla, you must move faster. FASTER! She yelled at herself in her internal monologue, getting caught up within the movements and trying to match the dance, the story it told. She approached the fastest speed she could ever maintain, the kelp a blur as she dove towards the ocean floor. And now she could see it. Growing quickly.

Faster... faster... hold it... a little more... almost..... STOP! And then she exerted all the strength in her torso and thighs, her body turning 90 degrees, turning horizontal with the ocean floor a scant 10 feet from hitting the rocky floor. As she performed the potentially dangerous move, her arms spiraled out, twisting her body in the water, rotating her face once more to the surface. She then serenely placed her hands on her chest, and glided along the floor.
Ayla
Acquitor

Words: 9223
Joined roleplay: August 14th, 2009, 4:07 am
Blog: View Blog (4)
Race: Charoda
Character sheet

Re: [Flashback] Waves Within the Forest

Postby Ayla on August 19th, 2009, 11:39 am

Ayla's feet made slow, subtle motions, keeping her body moving along the ocean floor at a turtles page. Her eyes remained still, seemingly dead and staring at nothing in particular. She always enjoyed this final portion of "The Land", a dance that told the story of that eventful day that changed the Charodae. Her favored part though was "The Fall", the portion where the dancer mimicked the falling of the sky and its impact, and the deathly quite that followed. She enjoyed the speed, the passion and ferocity behind it. Something deep could probably be said of that. Ferocity is not exactly my forte.

Normally a song accompanied the dance, almost a full school was required to give the song it was due in a formal performace. There also would have been two dancers performing two concurrent but seperate dances. "The Land" and "The Love". Even though Ayla was advanced for her age in her prefered art, she was not considered skilled enough to even learn "The Love". It required far more technical skill and nuance. The dancer also singed their own offset to the school, was considered the storyteller in the grand event. Maybe one day the Elder's will deem me worthy. I hope so. Atleast, I do not see many others practicing... they are all likely at the racing rings.

I study and learn. I practice my chosen art, my trade skill. I learn our history and culture. And others place shells on seahorses. Of course, we have stories from the Acquitors about gambling on the surface. How it consumes some landwalkers. The Elders would stop the races were it to become a problem, I am sure. Still, it would seem people should have other things to do. Oh how I wish Mael would practice with me...

Ayla's feet fluttered a little more quickly. Perhaps I should head home, I have gone over the routine ten times now. A good day of-"Ouch!" The young Charoda deftly twisted her body, suddenly upright and facing forward in the direction from where her head had bumped into something rather solid.
Ayla
Acquitor

Words: 9223
Joined roleplay: August 14th, 2009, 4:07 am
Blog: View Blog (4)
Race: Charoda
Character sheet