[Location] The Captain's Hall

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A village cut off from the rest of Mizahar by the Valterrian, slowly reestablishing contact with the outside world.

Postby Tabarnac on July 15th, 2010, 10:33 pm

The Captain's Hall

One of the first things built after the cataclysm became the Captain's Hall over time. The building houses the actual Hall, which can hold half the population of the city and was built as a meeting place for the infrequent Referenda by which the Captains of Denval occasionally polled adult members of the settlement on matters he or she deemed inappropriate for decree. In addition, there are offices for the Captain and certain magistrates, and currently the second floor is given over to a modest suite of rooms belonging to the reigning Captain. Newcomers to Denval are frequently directed toward the Hall before too long; Captain's have a long tradition of personally welcoming people to their settlement.

NPCs: Astrid, Captain of Denval; Silmeria, Astrid's secretary.

Moderator's Note: Players may use the Hall location without a moderator, though threads in the magisterial offices or the Captain's residence require a moderator. Please PM Tabarnac with questions.
Tabarnac
god of carnage

Words: 346698
Joined roleplay: May 26th, 2010, 3:06 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
Advocate (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Alodian Aviastas on July 20th, 2010, 4:49 pm

Alodian wondered around the village after the boy who had been leading him. The boy had stopped and said that this is where he was supposed to go. Looking around, Alodian wasn't so sure. It was a huge building that was clearly very old. Taking a leap of faith, he stepped into the hall, noticing that his assessment was right: it was huge.

Wandering around, Alodian looked doubtful. He wondered if the boy had brought him to the right place, considering there were many rooms that looked like offices. As he was peering at the architecture, Alodian became lost in thought, not realizing he was just standing there.
Alodian Aviastas
The Wandering Healer

Words: 38674
Joined roleplay: July 5th, 2010, 2:24 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Peer Reviewer (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Tabarnac on July 20th, 2010, 5:39 pm

ImageThe room was unlit in order to keep it cool in the summer heat, but there was plenty of light flooding in through the windows to scare away the dark. The Hall smelled of stone and candle wax, a rather comforting combination. Chairs were lined up along the walls, but the majority of the Hall was left open until such time as the chairs were needed.

After Alodian had a chance to look around and look lost, a graceful if androgynous figure rose from chair in a shadowy corner and walked over. The shock of red hair bespoke some Inarta blood, but that was becoming more and more common in Denval, as were Vantha eyes.

But this one had a sort of a glow about her, and a sharp eye might catch the marks of Priskil on the back of each hand.

"You are new," she said from behind him in a rich, authoritative alto. Her Common, unlike young Mihai's, was impeccable. "Welcome to Denval."
Tabarnac
god of carnage

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Alodian Aviastas on July 20th, 2010, 5:55 pm

Startled, Alodian jumped as he turned around. He saw a woman with fiery red hair, like he had seen in Wind Reach of the Inarta race. He thought he noticed markings on her hands, but he couldn't be sure. "Yes, I am new," he said, almost stuttering. She had this flow about her voice that intimidated him a bit, but not enough to cringe.

"Many thanks. I am Alodian Aviastas. I come to live here," he translated, his Common not as fluent as hers. She made him wonder who she was and how she learned to talk like that. unsure of what to do, he held out a hand to the woman.
Alodian Aviastas
The Wandering Healer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Tabarnac on July 20th, 2010, 6:04 pm

"Astrid," he said, shaking his hand with a firm grip that belied strength in her slender, white hands. Her dark eyes met his, and understanding flared. When she continued, it was in fluent Vani, though she did have a strange, Denvali accent. It was her way of showing hospitality, speaking in his own language even on her home turf, making things easier for this newcomer.

"Ah, indeed. Well met, Alodian Aviastas. I suppose Mihai suggested you move into the house next to his and marry his sister?"

Her smile was wry, but the humor softened her features.

"Melem is a fetching girl. If you do not seek any old Denvali bride, you will have to be, mm, clear in your intentions. A strapping man like you will have a fair number of willing and eager companions should you wish. Why don't you tell me about yourself, and I will help you settle into life here?"
Tabarnac
god of carnage

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Alodian Aviastas on July 20th, 2010, 6:32 pm

Shaking her hand, Alodian nodded. he burst into laughter when she asked him about Mihai. Hearing her speak his native tongue was a relief, for he would not have to go through with the translating. "Yes, he did. I was a bit confused, and I am glad that I have met someone who clearly knows what's going on," he said, grinning from ear to ear. "I don't plan on marrying just anyone. I would like someone who is intelligent, and who can know how another feels. I also look for the ones who don't throw themselves at me, but who have some respect for themselves," he said, deciding that was enough about girls. He could ramble on all day about the kind of girl he likes, but frankly, that would get him nowhere.

"Well my mother is back in Avanthal, so I travel alone. I am seeking permanent residence here in Denval. I would also like to further my healing," he said, as he lifted up his right sleeve, revealing his healing gnosis mark. "I do intend to marry, I just have not found the right one," he said shyly, as he turned away for a brief second. Turning back, he finally stopped talking, allowing Astrid to speak.
Alodian Aviastas
The Wandering Healer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Tabarnac on July 20th, 2010, 6:39 pm

She smiled boldly as any man. "Please do not think unkindly of the women here. It has become part of our culture to seek new blood from without after being isolated for so long. For the past sixty years, we have been coming back from the brink of degeneration by inbreeding. Only careful breeding and the favor of Viratas kept us from becoming subhuman."

Chuckling, she shook her head, the shock of red hair tossed to the other side.

"You might be lucky. Some only want the seed of a strong father and not marriage. But don't think to take advantage, because most of the women here know their way around sharp things." She winked, amused by his blushes.

"We have a few reputable healers in town. Do you seek an apprenticeship or to establish a practice of your own?"
Tabarnac
god of carnage

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Alodian Aviastas on July 20th, 2010, 6:50 pm

Alodian nodded, as Astrid told him about their women. "I wouldn't dream of it," he said an fluent Vani. He didn't know if he liked the idea of being a seed donor rather than a husband with someone to raise the kids with, but only time would tell. He did not know what to think of this woman, but he had an instict that she was alright. When she brought up the topic about the business of healers, he thought for a moment.

"I do not think that I am good enough to start my own practice, so I do think that seeking out an apprenticeship would be much better for me. I hope to acquire more gnosis marks from Goddess Rak'keli," he said, the Vani flowing from his mouth naturally.

"As for housing, I am confused. Really I do not care if I am next to Mihai or not, I would just like a place of my own. How would I go about that?" he asked, curious. His emeralds twinkled as he watched Astrid.
Alodian Aviastas
The Wandering Healer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Tabarnac on July 20th, 2010, 7:02 pm

"Ah, humility," she said. "An admirable trait. Well, if you have no objection to the house Mihai showed you, it is currently uninhabited and has, conveniently, reverted to the Captain's devise. It is also convenient to an elderly healer and a chapel overseen by a priest of Rak'keli."

Sometimes what they said about too-good-to-be-true just wasn't so, but anyone could see the opportunity presented. Home, apprenticeship, spiritual guidance, and the possibility of inheriting a practice in due course. The Denvali were a welcoming people, to be sure.

"If you are amenable to this arrangement, I can have the paperwork taken care of and you can move into the house presently." She smiled. "Mihai can show you to Jarret's clinic and the chapel."

OOCThe house can be the house in your Starting Package, and we can get you started with the apprenticeship. Once you are settled, if you're intent on more gnosis, perhaps Liminal will help you with that, since he's overseeing Denval.
Tabarnac
god of carnage

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Alodian Aviastas on July 20th, 2010, 8:07 pm

Alodian nodded. "I have no objection. It seems it will indeed be more fitting for me to reside there after all," he said, intrigued at how well this fit into his plans. "It looks as if my stay here will be a god one, Astrid," he said, a smile playing at his lips. He couldn't wait to move into his new house so that he could settle in someplace.

"That sounds wonderful. Do you know where I can find Mihai?" he asked in Vani, as he watched Astrid. He wondered where that little runt went off to. Looking around, all he saw was chairs, but no Mihai.
Alodian Aviastas
The Wandering Healer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next