Riches and Rags (Valerius)

In Which Aristocrat Meets Acrobat

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Postby Kit Rowan on August 3rd, 2013, 11:10 pm

So he wanted her to be sneaky, then? Depending on how much time he gave her, Kit could cheat until she got the knack back. Just walk about wearing a different skin and a different face. Not being recognized meant not being seen in many important ways. It would work. "Stealth, then!" Kit said, crossing her arms and nodding definitively. "I can do stealth." Her dig about the Ravosalamen seemed to sink home; it seemed as though she'd guessed right. She'd dared to pay the fee a handful of times, and they so loved to talk about nothing. Unless you were generous.

"Ah, yeah." Kit said, the corner of her mouth tilting down in a shadow of a smile. "You're real keen." Or maybe Ovek's dice had turned up a favorable face his round, and Kit's little rich boy was full of himself. But what would a poor acrobat know?

Silence again. Kit careful measured her breathing, curled and uncurled her toes. "Sure, I could give a demonstration!" She raised her hands and shrugged her shoulders as if to say it's nothing. "If there's a trick you'd rather me try I can give it my best go, I could just do a little routine for you. I . . ." The gears between her ears squealed and ground to a sudden, startling halt as the whole of what the Popinjay said was processed.

"Did you say . . . Nitrozian?" Kit had heard of Ravok's three greatest families from her former master, and the memory of that lesson was nearly enough to take her to involuntary shudders. She looked the rich boy up and down again, tried to measure him against her imagination. "Did I hear that right?"
x
Unless Otherwise Stated, Expect Kit To Have Already Disguised Herself With Illusionism As 'Shy' In Every Ravok Thread.
Kit Rowan
Acrobat, Sorceress, Rogue

Words: 433379
Joined roleplay: April 29th, 2011, 11:37 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (2)

Postby Valerius Nitrozian on August 12th, 2013, 3:15 pm

As the girl informed him that he was ‚real keen‘, Valerius smiled wryly and inclined his head a fraction. Maybe he was. Maybe he was too keen, and she was just an imposter and a thief, but he’d never know for sure unless he tested her a little. „I’m not familiar with the ways of acrobats“, he informed her somewhat coolly. He didn’t normally associate with people like her, but considered them below him. „I don’t know which trick I shall I ask you to show me. Do whatever you think might impress me sufficiently.“

As she broke off in mid-sentence and stared at him, he arched an eyebrow and looked at her questioningly, finding the action somewhat peculiar. „Yes, you heard that right“, he replied. „I’m a Nitrozian. My name is Valerius. I’m the grandson of Lord Sitanos, the head of the family. I assume you have heard of us?“ Here he smiled a little more. Of course she had heard of the Nitrozians. There were few people in Ravok who hadn’t, be they citizens or strangers. The Nitrozians were one of the most influential families in the city, and he was proud to be a part of them.

„Or have you even met some of my relatives? If that is the case I would very much like to hear about your experiences with them – after your demonstration, Miss …“ He stopped her and cast a meaningful glance at her, obviously expecting her to give him her name. He had just introduced himself to her after all. Of course it remained to be seen if she gave him her real name or not. With people like her one could never be sure.
Valerius Nitrozian
Player

Words: 470233
Joined roleplay: February 11th, 2012, 6:39 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Kit Rowan on August 12th, 2013, 3:58 pm

'You have heard of us' he said! Of course she had, or she wouldn't have asked in the way she did. And he knew that too! At last he'd allowed himself an expression to give himself away. That polite little grin of his told of pride that his family name was enough to get her to stop up short and pay attention. She could work that angle. "Heard of you?" Kit shook her head. "How could I not? I buy board in Tarsin's, and the whole plaza it sits on carries your name." She tried to put the appropriate awe in her tone, and she didn't have to fake it all. "I've never the pleasure of meeting one in the flesh."

"Shy," Kit lied with a smile. "My name's Shy Carsma." She had used it enough that the sound was not quite so awkward in her throat, the words not quite so false in her own ears. There was no one in Ravok who could call her on it, not with her face like this. "I'll do my best to give you a little show, mister Nitrozian." Kit said.

What was it Whet had told her? Half the trick, half the trick of performing was making it look effortless. Even if it tore out your heart, even if it left you shaking and weak, the crowd would always react best if it looked like you'd done the trick with ease. Kit's heartbeat was too fast, her breathing too quick; she couldn't look nervous or unsure. Only confidence was allowed. Kit focused on the slight sway of of the floating city beneath her feet, the sensation of clothes on her body, took her mind off the rich, powerful man in front of her. She tried to see him as another passerby to busk for, a face in a one-man crowd.

Kit peered over her shoulder and found their side of the canal empty of pedestrians, smiled to herself and turned back toward her audience. She needed more space, but walking was boring; Kit threw herself backwards, and for a familiar, terrifying moment she hung in the air as her arc turned from rise to fall. She reached out with a hand and caught herself, shoved off the ground in an exulting moment of defiance against Semele's natural pull. She landed, bouncing off her heels half a dozen steps back from Valerius, the joy of motion bringing a real and vivid smile to her face.

But she didn't stop there couldn't stop there, when her feet came down on the canal she pushed against it hard, propelled herself into the air, curling her body into a ball and suddenly she was turning in the air. One mistake and she could fall and crack her head open and die on the street. A little too bold, a little too shy, and she everything would fall apart. Kit was getting into dangerous territory, but to impress this man she had little choice. She trusted in her body. Trusted in her training.

She spun 'round once . . . twice . . . Uncoiled in the air and landed there, knees bent just so, shaking slightly, arms held out to either side to help preserve her balance. Alvadas, Yahebah, Ravok or the void, Kit could always find pleasure in her her tumbles. "Would you like any more?" Kit said, and if she was breathless then it was from joy. "'Cause I can do this all day."
x
Unless Otherwise Stated, Expect Kit To Have Already Disguised Herself With Illusionism As 'Shy' In Every Ravok Thread.
Kit Rowan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (2)

Postby Valerius Nitrozian on August 13th, 2013, 4:20 pm

„Indeed, it does“, Valerius confirmed proudly as she talked about how the whole plaza Tarsin’s was situated on carried the name of his family. He noticed that she spoke with awe, as she should. It was good to know that there were at least some outsiders that showed the great families of Ravok – and especially his - the respect they deserved. There had been too many recently who insisted on treating him like everybody else. „Well, you have the pleasure of meeting a live Nitrozian now“, he added. He looked at her, almost as if he expected her to admire him now because he was such an amazing human being.

„Shy?“ He frowned very lightly. „You don’t seem shy at all. Your parents apparently didn’t think things through when they named you. But no matter, show me what you are capable of.“ He made a step back to give her a little more space, crossed his arms over his chest and watched. The expression on his face was unreadable, as almost always.

The corners of his mouth only twitched a little, and his eyes widened a fraction as she turned into the air. He had to admit, he was a little worried that she would fall and break her neck (part of him also hoped for it because dying people were always good for a little entertainment). As she landed on the ground again safely and only shaking slightly, he raised his hands and applauded.

„Bravo, Miss Carsma, bravo. I’m impressed. Although I’m tempted to make you do your tricks all day long after your statement, it would be a waste of your time – and mine. Let us talk business instead. As I’ve already mentioned I have need of somebody with your skills occasionally. I could use an acrobat to entertain my guests, but more than that I need somebody to deliver certain … things quickly and above everything else quietly.“

„You will of course be compensated accordingly and gain the protection of House Nitrozian if I’m content with your work and you manage not to attract any negative attention. What do you say? If you agree to work for me, let us go to the Nitrozian Estate to discuss the details. I prefer not to do business on the street like somebody who has no manners and no proper home.“
Valerius Nitrozian
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kit Rowan on August 14th, 2013, 1:39 am

The blood pounding in her head and exhilaration of the moment was enough to make Kit forget to be cautious and wary and afraid. She bowed her head to the Nitrozian, basking in the praise, spread imaginary skirts in a graceful little curtsy. "I live to entertain," she murmured, and only then remembered that she was standing in the middle of the city of evil with a member of the most powerful families there in front of her. But even that was not enough to keep her spirits down.

Kit spread her hands as Valerius announced his expectations to her, still grinning like a maniac, her enthusiasm leaking into her confidence. "A mouse might be more discrete. If it was very careful." She pointed a thumb back toward herself. "I'm your girl."

Her smile faltered at the mention of 'no manners and no proper home.' Was that a dig at her, Kit wondered? Probably. Subtle conversational warfare seemed like it would be well within in his bailiwick. Best not rise to the bait, intentional or not. Kit wasn't sure exactly how powerful the Nitrozian name was, but it would be nice to not have to worry about being hounded and harassed by the Ebonstryfe who pegged her as a non-citizen. With luck a name that big would be enough for her to hide behind.

"'Course." Kit said. "I've made no promises for today. Lead on."
x
Kit Rowan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (2)

Postby Valerius Nitrozian on August 15th, 2013, 5:05 am

„A mouse might be more discrete“, Valerius agreed. „But its small size and its inability to talk and follow orders would be a serious disadvantage.“ Another man might have grinned here, as if he had made a joke, but Valerius didn’t understand humor very well, so he spoke in a neutral tone of voice. „I prefer you. Follow me, Miss Carsma.“

If she had been a lady, he might have walked next to her, he might even have offered her his arm (after he had made sure that she didn’t have any contagious diseases), but she was just a stranger and possibly a future employee of his. He led the way and let her walk behind him, and of course he ocasioanlly looked back to make sure that she was still following him and not attempting to pick his pockets or do some other troublesome and illegal thing.

„I hope you aren’t afraid of the water or boats“, he remarked as he stepped onto the ravosala that was still waiting. He didn’t help her into boat of course, but gave the ravosalaman the order to do so. A few chimes later they were on their way to the Nitrozian Estate.

~~~

Being a blooded member of the family, Valerius lived in the biggest of the three buildings that composed the Nitrozian Estate. As he walked through the door, Kit in tow, the guards bowed to him. The house was probably more luxurious than everything Kit had ever seen before. The slaves that walked through the numerous hallways were better dressed than some normal citizens of Ravok!

„Tuuli!“ Valerius called the name of his personal slave, and a dark skinned girl that was about eighteen or nineteen and very pretty appeared. „This is Miss Shy Carsma. She will be working for me. We will be in the small sitting room. Bring us something to drink.“

~~~

The room Valerius took Kit to contained a table made of dark wood, a few chairs and very comfortable couches and a large fireplace. Since it was summer, there was no fire in it at the moment though. The floor was covered with a soft carpet, and from the window one had a spectacular view of the canals below. Valerius sat down in one of the chairs gracefully and gestured for Kit to take a seat as well.

„Now then, Miss Carsma“, he spoke. „This is it. My home. The Nitrozian Estate. If you do your work well, you will spend a considerable amount of time here and enjoy certain privileges. I suppose that you want to know how much money I’m willing to pay you now?“

OOCI hope you don’t mind that I’m speeding things up a little.]
Valerius Nitrozian
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kit Rowan on August 15th, 2013, 8:22 am

Kit trailed after Valerius with little incident and behave herself, though she chose to decline his boatman's . . . generous offer of help to step down into the Ravosala under her own power. Silence begot thought, and every quiet tick reminded Kit of the gamble she was taking. If Valerius wanted her services, he might very well order her held down and branded . . . Again. As their Ravosala was pushed further down the canal Kit began to doubt whether she had made the right decision.

I need coin. Kit's foot twitched, her eyes darted across the city, a thief on the lookout for a bolthole. Caution's too expensive.

The ride was serene and without incident.

Kit had seen marvels in Alvadas, she had scene wonders cobbled from thought and half-remembered dreams every day in the streets. The house of Nitrozian's was a different sort of marvel. It was like . . . Kit bit down on her lip as she tried to find a proper equivalent. Like a man who would walk through a quagmire in white silks just to show they could. Even their slaves were dressed in the trappings of wealth, with clothes finer than any Kit had ever worn. She stood out like a pulsing sore on unblemished skin, and it made her hackles rise.

And his room! His room had an air of opulence that matched all the rest. This, Kit realized, was a half of Ravok that she had not seen except from a great distance. The darkness of the city fed the beauty of the Nitrozian Estate, built this seeming of prosperity above it all. It was a marvelous deception, and in spite of all the harm it had done to here there was little Kit could do overlooking Valerius' room and the bustling canals below but marvel at the great deception.

Kit slid into her chair and tried not to let show how out of place she felt. "It's wonderful," she said, carefully, as he mentioned the estate. "I've never seen its like." Flattering his family had worked well before. It might again.

At the mention of pay Kit's eyes glinted, though she did her best to hide it. She shrugged. "Well," she breathed out. "I've got to make a living somehow." Under the table, thankfully hidden from Valerius' eyes, her hands grasped nervously at trouser legs and held tight.

OOCNo worries! I don't mind.
x
Last edited by Kit Rowan on August 18th, 2013, 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kit Rowan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (2)

Postby Valerius Nitrozian on August 17th, 2013, 6:51 am

„I’m glad that you like it“, Valerius remarked as she admired the estate. Flattering him and his family definitely worked – very well. „Everything you see here cost a fortune.“ He smiled, very lightly. It was good to be rich. „But let’s not talk about my family’s wealth anymore. Let’s talk about the start of your future wealth instead. I’m willing to pay you …“ He paused for a moment and furrowed his brow as he considered how much would be appropriate. He wanted to give her an incentive to do her job well, he wanted to give her enough that she could afford decent food and occasionally buy new clothes, but not enough to make her fat and lazy.

„.. three golden mizas per day“, he decided. „If you do your job well and do what I say, you might eventually get a raise. How does that sound, Miss Carsma?“ In his opinion it was a very generous offer of course. She would get three golden mizas for just running around the city a bit (which she had done so far without getting paid), deliver things and not ask too many questions. His dear aunt, the head researcher at the KRI, only paid him three golden mizas a day for a job that involved dealing with Kelvic, blood and disgusting illnesses!

As he waited for her reply, somebody knocked on the door. „Excuse me“, Valerius murmurred and opened the door. His slave Tuuli had arrived, carrying a tree with a pitcher of fine red wine and two crystal goblets. She put it on the table between Kit and Valerius and curtsied, and then she left again. „Tuuli is one of my personal slaves“, Valerius explained. „My other slave, Melenna, is somewhere else at the moment. Slaves have the advantage that you don’t need to pay them, but sometimes a free woman like you is preferrable.“

„Try the wine, Miss Carsma“,
he told her. „It is quite excellent. Ah, I almost forgot. If somebody asks you to deliver something to House Nitrozian, you will bring it here, into my room. You will not give it to my sister or any other member of this household. If my grandfather, Sitanos insists, you will comply though. He is the one person I do not want to anger.“
Valerius Nitrozian
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kit Rowan on August 17th, 2013, 8:08 am

Three. Three gold a day. Kit did the sums in her head as best she could; it would sustain her, she thought, certainly. At home in Alvadas it would have seemed an astronomical number, but Kit had more to worry about than simply sustaining herself now. Somehow, some way, she would need to get out. And somehow she didn't think it wise to rely on Ravok's charity to help her. But all the same it was three gold a day more than she had now. For now, escape had to take a backseat to survival. "It sounds like you're spoiling me." Kit forced her mouth into a smile. "I'll take it." Though he had already made the offer, the tension refused to leave Kit's body. Her imagination struggled to find all the various ways things could go sour.

When his slave reappeared again carrying a pitcher of wine, Kit squirmed in her seat. Again she felt out of place, woefully beneath low. Had Valerius done this on purpose? Taken her to his room and served her fine foods beyond her imagination to intimidate her. . . ? Or was it just the only thing he knew? Kit grabbed hold of the crystal goblet with a tentative hand, sure rejecting it would be considered a slight, and gulped half of it down in one nervous swallow, barely tasting it. She felt it settle in the pit of her stomach, comfortably warm.

"'Course." She said. "No need to bother anyone else." Was she going to become a tool in inter-family warfare, in the service of this man? Trickster keep her keen, there was a lot of danger here. Maybe Valerius' protection would keep her safe from Ebonstryfe on the street and slavers on the prowl, but had she traded danger from the everyday citizen for a danger from other Nitrozians? A poor deal. Valerius would cry little if she died a catspaw in some sibling spat over getting a report to him before another.

A familiar, electric feeling raced up and down Kit's spine. When she performed, when she did her flips, Kit risked smashing and breaking her little body against the earth, her mind racing to the place where fear and thrill met and were made one. "Everything goes straight here." She smiled, real this time. The Nitrozians seem to her to be a family that would pay those who kept their secrets very generously.
x
Kit Rowan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (2)

Postby Valerius Nitrozian on August 20th, 2013, 7:53 am

„I’m not spoiling you“, Valerius disagreed. „I expect you to work for your money. Those three golden mizas will be well earned.“ As she informed him that she would take the money, he nodded curtly. „Of course you will. I didn’t expect you to say no.“

With that he reached for the pitcher and filled his goblet with wine before he took a slow sip. The whole movement looked quite elegant and graceful. Valerius Nitrozian enjoyed alcohol, but he was not a drunkard and didn’t want to be one either. He simply had an interest in expensive things, in things that had style, in cultivating a certain image.

„I’m glad that we understand each other“, he remarked as he put the goblet down again. „You will soon be given your first task, but for today I simply want you to acquaint yourself with the Nitrozian Estate and memorize the way to my suite. It won’t do if you get lost on your way to me and end up in my sister’s or aunt Amanda’s room instead.“

He took another sip of wine. It seemed as if their meeting was nearing its conclusion.
Valerius Nitrozian
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes