Completed They say the apple doesn't fall so far...

Ninus takes Novus "home" to meet his Daddy, maybe

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

They say the apple doesn't fall so far...

Postby Novus on June 30th, 2013, 2:51 am

Summer 16, 513 AV

It had been…one hell of a night. And no, not in that way. In fact, in exactly the opposite way had Novus passed the first hour or so, finding it so very hard…to get to sleep that is. He had no control over his body’s reaction to that tantalizing proximity of the other – so close, and yet off limits. At least, Ninus was off limits for anything more than cuddling, and though that was quite…nice…it was only one one hundreth of what Novus would have had off of him, if he’d not given his word otherwise. Those tender touches and more passionate kisses had lit a fuse that burned bright and fast, and Novus had groaned into them, wanting more and knowing he would not get it. One part of him did not object so very strenuously to being so restrained, despite the erotic potential that lay at his very fingertips. Yet even though he knew he was bound to uphold his promise – and he wanted to do so, because Ninus had asked it of him – still, certain parts of his body literally ached for fulfillment, for that intoxicating release. So it was that when Ninus had wrapped his lower leg over Novus’ hip, the half-widow had to almost grind his teeth together to keep from grinding against his bedmate. He had focused as best he could on the tender, slow, amorous kisses, half wondering if perhaps Ninus was just being a total tease. But again, the fresh memory of those tears said otherwise, and so he forced himself to confine his reciprocal caresses to only those parts of Ninus that were halfway safe. At the taste of those lips, he felt that same tingling – almost like the feeling of a loose baby tooth when you wiggle it with your tongue – and he knew his fangs were descending. Exercising even greater care, he pressed his lips to Ninus’, trying to ignore the pounding insistence he felt in his nether regions. When Ninus broke off that last good night kiss, and lay his head on the mixed blood’s shoulder, Novus stroked his arm thoughtfully, and willed the throbbing to just…go away.

It had, after about…an hour, when Novus had finally slipped into a fitful slumber, his dreams all that might be predicted from such a circumstance. He woke several times, to look through the darkness, to gaze at Ninus’s sleeping form, which through the hours crept closer and closer to his. What sweet torture! Novus would reach to stroke that slender back, feeling under his fingertips the ridges and dents of many scars, saddened by this history that had placed them there, and giving some backbone to his resolve to stick by his promise. Finally, he had fallen into a deeper sleep, and being by then so tired, he did not wake when the first of Syna’s rays breached the lone window of the flat. He snuggled against the warmth of the poisoner, unaware of the possibly embarrassing result that such closeness awoke once more down below. Well, Ninus was a man too. He could not be so unfamiliar with the phenomenon.

Stirring finally, Novus opened a sleepy eye, squinting, and focusing on that face which lay next to his on the sole pillow. His hand reached down to run along the length of Ninus’ thigh, where it curved against his hip.

“Good morning,” he said congenially, with a sleep tousled smile and then a prodigious yawn. As close as they were, he pulled Ninus closer still and placed a kiss on his lips. There was, though, a certain “pressing” matter that now lay between them and sensing this – fully – Novus grinned a bit wolfishly and added, “Sorry – my promise to you is writ on my heart. But there are certain other parts of me that seem not to have gotten the word – or have chosen to ignore it. I’ll ask your indulgence and hopefully you can do the same – ignore it, that is…not indulge it.”

Novus
a more gentle poison

Words: 59489
Joined roleplay: June 24th, 2013, 4:12 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet

Postby Ninus Aurellius on June 30th, 2013, 3:17 am

The Prince of Rats

Ninus felt that arousal pressed up against his own, a blush reddening his cheeks as he lay there. Their hips were so close, and though Ninus wanted some sweet relief he didn't dare move his hips. He kissed Novus good morning, resting his hand on his cheek, and moved forward ever so slightly so Novus could feel that their conditions were mutual. "Thine condition is mine own. It seems my body no more wants to obey the words that fell from mine lips than thine body." he smiled. He kissed Novus again, pressing his body close and feeling the warmth in his loins that spread when he pressed a very intimate part of his body against Novus' own.

"This is nothing but sweet torture that I would give anything to extend." Ninus whispered, pressing his hips tightly against Novus. He wanted to give in so badly, his body burned with arousal. But he kissed Novus and sat up, running his fingers through his hair and disturbing Cricet. He arched his back, stretching and greeting the sun with his body. "My dear lady, wilt thou join thy companions in the streets? Find a man who works for the one who pulled me from the tree on that fateful day, and see if thou cant convince him to come hither. If not, return and tell me your tale." Ninus petted her head as she stretched and yawned, showing rows of sharp, shearing teeth.

Cricet gave him a look and leapt up to the window. Ninus turned on Novus with a playful smile and straddled him above the covers, keeping the sheets between them and resting his palms on Novus' chest. "Shall you rise to greet the day, my spider, or lay until it sets low on the roofs in your silken web?" he asked with a smile.
Ninus Aurellius
The Prince of Rats

Words: 151414
Joined roleplay: June 17th, 2013, 2:44 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Novus on June 30th, 2013, 12:11 pm

As Ninus stirred, it became well apparent that both were beset by that same manifestation of the physiology of desire, and his words confirmed it as well. “Torture indeed,” Novus returned, with a wry smile. “It seems you have more in your repertoire than just your poisons to make a man squirm." For a moment, it seemed as if perhaps Ninus was grappling with his own self-imposed prohibition, and Novus held his breath, metaphorically, in silent hope that perhaps his bedmate would in fact open that barrier and propose ending their mutual blissful torment. But no, Ninus suddenly kissed him lightly and sat up instead. It was then that Novus noted the third bed partner, as Ninus spoke to the behemoth rat and gave her a very precise errand to fulfill, which it seemed she was willing to undertake. Novus was simply glad that the rat had curled up on the far side of Ninus, and had not tried to wedge herself between them while they slept. He could not imagine waking up to find the thing curled against his stomach! She was in some ways much like a pet cat or dog, but still, under the circumstances, he’d not enjoy that sort of awakening – not at all!

But his thoughts of such were disrupted immediately by Ninus climbing atop him, and in truth, the thin material of the sheet did little to nothing to make their positioning any less intimate. Novus could feel every bit of him, and see as well, even as Ninus leaned forward a bit to place his hands on the widow’s chest.

"Shall you rise to greet the day, my spider, or lay until it sets low on the roofs in your silken web?" he asked with a smile.

Novus smiled back in turn. “We spiders do much prefer the shadows cast by Leth, but I’ve found in the outside world, that is far from a convenient time of day to operate. I’d lie here all day with you, though, however…” He gave his hips a small twitch. “…that would be tempting fate too boldly, and I don’t want to walk away from here with you thinking that I am not a man of my word.”

With this , Novus sat upright, Ninus now in his lap, as it were, and he wrapped his arms fully about the poisoner, giving him a fulsome hug and an elongated passionate kiss – not in hopes of changing Ninus’ mind but really only to satisfy his own desire for such before they arose and went about their business. This new arrangement put even more ideas into Novus’ head, but he kept them to himself, wondering only what it would be like, if and when Ninus felt enough at ease to allow for such games. Finally, though, they arose, and Novus made his way to the cupboard, retrieving his clothing and pulling all on, in no particular hurry. With the final fastening of his belt buckle, he looked to his host and observed, “You’ve fed me once and gave me use of your bed. It sits uneasily on my shoulders to be so in your debt. I know you await the return of your furry friend – otherwise I’d ask your assistance in finding my own humble abode and I could redeem at least part of what I owe by offering you breakfast. Would she…is it possible that if we were to do so, your companion would be able to find you?”

After that little exchange where Ninus had given such clear commands to his rat minion, altogether with the assurance that she comprehended and would carry them out, Novus had to conclude that either the man was mad, or the rat was a genius specimen. All in all, he much preferred to believe the latter.

Novus
a more gentle poison

Character sheet

Postby Ninus Aurellius on June 30th, 2013, 2:42 pm

The Prince of Rats

Ninus was pleasantly surprised by the passionate kiss he recieved, and was all too content to wrap his arms around Novus and kiss him back just as passionately. A soft, gentle moan escaped his lips from the positioning...he could feel Novus betwixt his legs, lust blooming inside of him. He considered begging Novus to take him, right there in that position. He contented himself with kissing the half-Sym, their hips rubbing against one another. When they finally rose and Ninus dressed himself, the rats were beginning to return. One after another they stumbled sleepily through the window, some of them clutching the scruffs of pups. Ninus kissed Novus and went to the cupboard, pulling out a loaf of bread and setting it upon the floor.

"Eat and eat well, my good friends and companions. Your happiness brings as much joy to me as the presence of my spider." he squatted and petted a few of them, stroking his hands over gray, black, and even spotted pelts. Some lifted their heads and nuzzled his hand, others were too busy gorging themselves on the bread to notice. Ninus rose with a smile, tearing off a hunk of bread as he did so. He headed over to the rag pile and split the bread evenly between the nursing and pregnant mothers who couldn't compete with their sleek counterparts. They, for their part, all seemed grateful and gave him a lick of the hand or allowed him to pet their tiny, fuzzy pups. Once he had taken care and greeted all of them (some by name), he returned to Novus and kissed him.

"I will break my fast with you, darling spider." he said with a smile. "But like any good prince my men were fed, the mothers and children with full bellies and good companionship. I dare not slander them by not performing such a ritual, as I owe the rats a debt I can never repay. Each rising and falling of the sun is repayment of that debt, in but inches where the total is a mile."

Ninus smiled fondly at Novus. "Cricet needs but ask one of her brethren if they have caught sight of me....and where there is food, there is a rat." he said. "She is a goddess of the slums, all-seeing and all-knowing as long as her subjects and servants keep a cocked ear and open eye. My goddess can find me, wherever I roam in Syliras." He left Novus to grab the key to his home and slip the brass syringe into his pocket. As his only method of self defense, he never went without it. Even once the poison was deployed into one enemy, all he would have to do is inject the second with air and he would die swifter than the first. He opened the door for Novus, standing aside so he could exit the small apartment, then shutting and locking the door behind them.
Ninus Aurellius
The Prince of Rats

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Novus on June 30th, 2013, 3:43 pm

Novus had watched the distribution of gustatory largesse with a bemused expression, arms crossed over his chest. This relationship was exceedingly odd. He could see the obvious benefit to the vermin. It was small wonder they flocked to the shabby apartment. But as for his newfound friend…well, Novus had to question his tale. Truly, any rats he’d ever encountered, back in the caverns of his one time home, were as like to eat one who lay recumbent and unprotesting, as they were to snuggle and provide him with warmth, and food. This story that Ninus had related of how he had come to be in their debt was…incredible. Novus thought that if it was really true, there must have been some special essence of the poisoner that bespoke a camaraderie with the rats before ever they became such fast friends. It was something to ponder.

But as Ninus returned to his side, with yet another kiss, these speculations fled and Novus wrapped Ninus in his welcoming arms and kissed him back with pleasure. “Good. Then let’s away and see what provender I can provide that might satisfy us both,” he said, as Ninus went to retrieve a key, and an object that Novus had not noted before this moment. It was curious, a cylinder with a needle like structure attached. Having been a relatively healthy person, Novus had never seen what some healers might have in their inventory of tools. He said nothing of it, though, following Ninus out the door and descending the stairs as the poisoner locked it behind them. When Ninus had joined him in the passageway, Novus observed, “You are most fortunate then, in your choice of allies. This city seems the perfect place to have the added use of such a pair of eyes and ears…and nose.” Novus looked up and down the passage, his expression becoming more clouded. “I think…perhaps…no…” A frown of frustration vexed his brow, as he turned his gaze back to Ninus, and then he laughed. “I’m hopeless. I can navigate the caverns of Kalinor in pitch black but even lighted, I can not find my path in this heap of stone. My room is on the third level, and I know there is a corridor right off it that leads directly to the leasing office. Does that orient you in anyway?” His voice was hopeful. If he could not find his way, perhaps Ninus had some inkling of where they could begin to find his way back to his temporary home.

Without any hidden reason for inquiring, Novus asked casually, “What is that you picked up, before we left?” He nodded towards the place on his body where Ninus had stowed the syringe.

Novus
a more gentle poison

Character sheet

Postby Ninus Aurellius on June 30th, 2013, 4:25 pm

The Prince of Rats

Ninus tilted his head toward the stone above them. "It makes sense that my spider would have but a loft in the clouds, where I sleep down in the gutters amongst the rats as is my pleasure and duty." he said. "I would be loath to step so close to an office held by my mortal enemies, those tin-plated donkeys who step up and down the streets near your home, hocks held high, braying in such harsh evil voices. Yet if that is truly where my spider's web hangs, I shall take him there and without delay."

He kissed Novus' cheek. "A rat needs his fangs, even in such a calm morning." he said regarding the syringe. "But mine are but the stolen fangs of a snake, to incapacitate and envenom my enemies. I dare not leave without it, for no knight has yet found a shield to block it when he is relaxed in his duties and unaware." He smiled. "Worry not about such things, my spider, it is your own venom that protects us today." he lifted the syringe from his pocket and let Novus see the tiny glass window in the brass tube. The amber liquid within was unmistakeably Novus' own, and Ninus wanted to see what would happen if it was injected into soft, unyielding tissue. He had heard that half-Syms could dissolve soft things like fruit and eggs...why not the fat or delicate veins of a man, burning his delicate tissues from the inside? It was an experiment he was eager to deploy if a knight crossed them. He hated them; they killed his rats and his father's men, and wouldn't hesitate to throw him in that hideous pit of theirs if they found out his trade.

He led Novus up a wide, winding public staircase to the third level directly above them. He was apprehensive about the ground level...his rats roamed here but cautiously, and he found more corpses than he would have liked. The second level was expressly forbidden to all but a very clever class of rats, giant gray sleek things with a countenance as proud as the knights themselves. Ninus saw one such beast as he led Novus to the third level, and the rat lifted its head and snorted at him. Ninus inclined his head politely, and both rat and men moved away from one another. "A member of mine companions' aristocracy travels to the fourth level on some unseen business...interesting indeed." he muttered under his breath.

They exited out into the gorund level proper, near the housing office. "Do thine surroundings seem familiar?" Ninus asked. He let out a rather undignified yelp as a large pair of arms encircled him from behind and lifted him up into the air.

"Ninus!" The behemoth laughed and crushed Ninus close to his chest. Ninus scrabbled in his grasp for a moment longer before he paused.
"Is that mine bearlike brother that has assaulted me thusly?" he demanded, someone irked he had been picked up like a skinny child in front of his prospective lover. He recieved a bristly kiss on the cheek from the man.
"Still calling me that after all these years huh? Cricet found me up here trading for things for your father, was heading off toward the stairs and here I find you." 'Brother' said cheerfully, putting Ninus down and smiling at him then at Novus. "Who's this?"
Ninus straightened himself. "Novus, meet mine brother. Brother, Novus." he said.

The man Ninus called his 'Brother' could have easily been a blacksmith, stocky with shoulders like an ox and arms as big around as Cricet. He was a few inches over six feet, with a simple linen shirt that looked as if it was struggling to hold in his barrel chest. Bright blue eyes and a rather impressive red mustache adorned a very amused, heavy set face. Simple brown breeches adorned powerful thighs, and his large feet were contained in a set of cracked boots. The man held out a large hand to Novus. "Glad to see Ninus is finally making some friends that don't have long tails. Or should I check for one?" he chuckled.
Ninus Aurellius
The Prince of Rats

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Novus on June 30th, 2013, 5:51 pm

Novus had spent a long moment examining the syringe, amazed, and more than a bit alarmed, that his own venom was contained therein, its corrosiveness apparently matched drop per drop by Ninus’ acerbic attitude towards the knights. He himself had not yet developed any opinion one way or the other about the tin plated donkeys, though he could see that one such as Ninus might easily develop quite an aversion for them – and they for him. He was sure the knights would have little tolerance for one who earned his coin by meting out doses of death to those who, no doubt, were up to no good, according to the law at any rate. There were few legitimate uses for poisons. Their purpose was a grisly one, as Novus well knew for his own race very much lived and died, and was birthed, to their bitter dirge. But perhaps it was this close association with the very idea of such substances that imparted some immunity to the half-spider when it came to his reaction to this revelation that Ninus went abroad armed with his own product, for use in defense. It made sense to Novus, and he had no especial regard for the knights. He only felt some small trepidation as to being branded accomplice if Ninus should have real need to deploy the venom. But as his companion had claimed that its purpose was for self-defense, Novus concluded the chances of that were probably remote, and thus, he simply nodded his understanding, as Ninus returned the syringe to his pocket. He might have been just a bit more concerned if he had realized with what fervor Ninus was anxious to test the potency of the amber fluid in the glass vial. But as they say, ignorance, in this case, was bliss.

He was happy enough, though, to hear that Ninus did seem to know where they should head, in order to return Novus to his room, and that despite the poisoner’s reservations about its proximity to the main office, he was willing to lead Novus there. Away they went, and it was pleasant indeed to be able to call the man who walked beside him “friend,” and think that this might, sooner or later, evolve into something even more. As they walked, Novus noted that Ninus was sensitive to the presence of the rats they encountered, and even seemed to offer them some small salutations, which was weird, but acceptable to the half-Sym. He wasn’t sure he’d ever get to be on a first name basis with the creatures himself, but… anything was possible, wasn’t it? If the things, or their ancestors, were truly responsible for the salvation of the poisoner, he surely was in their debt himself, if only indirectly so.

When they reached the ground level, Novus nodded as he looked about, saying happily, “Yes! I know where I am now!” But before he could say further, Ninus exclaimed rather sharply and Novus whirled about, his hands already on both dagger hilts at his belt, his eye wide at the sight of his friend caught up in the arms of a huge mountain of a man. But the expressions on both faces stayed Novus’ hands, and it was clear from their banter that they were acquaintances, and on friendly terms. The bear hug was just an outlandish greeting, from an outlandish looking individual. But then again, what about Ninus was turning out to be otherwise? Novus relaxed and let his hands fall away from the knives, looking amused just as Ninus looked a bit peeved at being treated thusly. But it actually made Novus glad to know that his companion was not completely bereft of friendly faces. When Ninus was released and his feet restored to the ground, and that huge paw extended to the mixed blood, Novus took it readily, with a bemused smile.

"Glad to see Ninus is finally making some friends that don't have long tails. Or should I check for one?" he chuckled.

“I assure you, you’d find none,” he laughed in turn. “And I truly hope that you’ll take my word for that.” He nodded, then released the large, rough, callused hand. “And I too am glad to know Ninus has one that he can call Brother. I am new here, and by myself, so I know how precious a friend can be.”

He turned his gaze to Ninus, his face suffused with true happiness. The morning was going well. “I’m sure I can provide your Brother with some breakfast too, now that I finally have myself oriented.” To the red bearded giant, he said with a self-deprecating laugh, “I’m afraid this city gets me turned around and badly so, and Ninus here has been kind enough to set me straight. But I think I can take us the short distance to my room without losing my way yet again. At least…I hope so!”

Novus
a more gentle poison

Character sheet

Postby Ninus Aurellius on June 30th, 2013, 9:11 pm

The Prince of Rats

Ninus winced a bit. "To feed him is to feed a giant, or an army of giants if his stomach is indeed empty. I've begun to believe the knights' black pit lays within his belly." he said to Novus, but Brother laughed and clapped Novus heartily on the back.
"I could do with some tucker before I head back to your father!" Brother said, smiling. "Lead on, Novus, and I'll get to catch up with my little brother here." He chuckled and grabbed Ninus in another hug, rubbing his knuckles harshly on Ninus' scalp. The poisoner slipped free of his grasp and clawed his hair back into position, giving Brother a scowl. How dare the behemoth embarrass him around his friend?
"Brother, it is not on some social errand that Cricet was sent to find you." Ninus told him, though a glance at his feet told him Cricet was nowhere to be found. She was probably off on errands of her own, getting breakfast and socializing with her own kind. Though she hung around Ninus more than a rat should, she liked to have her alone time when Ninus was well-accompanied.

"Oh?" Brother asked.

"Novus is looking for his sire, a man my father might be acquainted with. He watches the men along the road as vigilantly as any hawk, as do you. He would be honored and in your debt if you could find this man." Ninus said. Brother nodded, rubbing his chin as they followed Novus. They would speak about it more over breakfast, but Ninus knew Brother liked a good riddle, as did Churchkey, and if there was one thing the highwaymen prided themselves on it was knowing every inch of the roads through Syliras. It would hurt their pride to admit defeat at finding a trader.

Ninus left Brother to think, walking beside Novus. "Brother shall consider it, he needs to ruminate over the offer." he told him. "Worry not, gentle spider, I have every confidence in my father."
Ninus Aurellius
The Prince of Rats

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Novus on July 1st, 2013, 4:57 pm

If Ninus’ one room home had been shabby and bereft of decorative touches or comfortable furnishings, Novus’ was spartan in the extreme, with neither an air of neglect or care, but simply that of a space wherein no hand had been laid to claim it as belonging to anyone in particular. Nouvs, now knowing his way, practically sped to the apartment, and fishing his key from his pocket, unlatched the door and bade the other two enter. There were in fact only a few simple bits of furniture – a bed directly to the left of the door, with a small table to hold the acoutrements of his pockets before he should lie down to sleep, a rough hewn desk which showed a remarkable degree of wear and ill usage, and an equally battered chair shoved under it. A small hearth occupied one corner, useful for heating and cooking the tiny space. On the bed was a traveler’s back pack, and a huge bow and quiver, with a score of arrows in it. Under the bed was shoved a cracked chamber pot. That was the entirety of the décor. Novus grinned in an apologetic way, and offered, “I had forgotten, there is little room here for two, let alone three, to sit. But I’ll not renege on my promise of breakfast. Let me just take up my pack and bow and we can perhaps find a public eating house.” He looked at the other two for acceptance of this alteration in plans, while moving to the bed. In his pack he did indeed have a few food items that he’d brought along or purchased since his arrival – enough for two to break their fast but, gauging from the girth of Brother, and what Ninus had said, it would be but a pitiful mouthful to the giant.

As it seemed neither of the two had any objections to his suggestion, Novus slung pack, quiver and bow over his shoulders and they departed quickly, the mixed blood carefully locking his door behind himself. With a few comments bandied back and forth, it was settled that they should take themselves off to a certain small pub not far from the traveler’s row office and there have a cup of small ale and whatever else might both appeal and be within Novus’ budget. Novus himself was content to partake of the fruit he had in his pack, for there’d be little time to sit and let his venom do the work that Ninus and Brother’s digestive process would get to later on, after they’d consumed their food. Still in high spirits, Novus set off with the two men, as they made their way to the tavern. Falling in step with Ninus, Novus casually brushed his arm to the poisoner’s. a gesture that would have meant nothing to anyone looking on, and only significant considering the closeness they had shared a half a bell earlier.

“Is there aught that I should do or say,” he asked, giving Ninus a conspiratorial look and speaking in a subdued voice, “or that I should refrain from, to influence your Brother’s decision one way or another? I suppose kissing you in front of him would not help matters?” The latter was said in a teasing tone, accompanied by a teasing glint in his basilisk eyes.

Novus
a more gentle poison

Character sheet

Postby Ninus Aurellius on July 1st, 2013, 6:16 pm

The Prince of Rats

Ninus looked at the spartan room. It seemed so...empty. But without rats, everything looked empty to him. The creatures were such steadfast companions to him, that seeing a room so bare made him think that no one lived in it. "Ist thou so desperate, to live in a bare monk's cell with no companions nor pleasantries?" Ninus asked. "Spider, for such a beautiful creature thou hast a very bare web. No glittering drops of dew hang upon its silken strands, no meals lay packaged...instead thou hast dust." He sounded a bit sad as he said it. It was not out of pity, but the very room was sad. He waited for Novus to grab his things and walked beside him as they exited, Brother quiet as he trailed behind them.

Ninus smiled gently and pressed his arm against Novus', gently. "Brother and I have no secrets betwixt us, like any pair of brothers." he said. "He knows of my proclivities, but his merry heart holds little hatred. It is strange, that a man so joyful in life, is a terror on the battlefield. My family is made up of many twin-headed demons, but Brother is the strangest of all. A kiss from you I would savor upon my lips, spider, and would cause no anger from Brother. Nay, he would be happy I hath found such a good companion. But it is my father and mother's decision to begin the search...a deer does not so ignorantly leap into the meadow when hunters may be about. We shall see." he snuck in a kiss to Novus' cheek.

In the tavern, Ninus ate a delicate, small meal of bread, meat and what fruit he could purchase, while Brother swigged ale and ate heartily. "So, lad, how has living been here? I haven't seen you in a while. We were all beginning to think you'd been knifed in an alley somewhere. Your mother's been hounding after your father. Inconsoleable, been driving poor Churchkey up the petching wall. Horst thinks you're fine though, and I bet on you being alive and well." Brother smirked.

"Living is...scrubland here. Sparse and dense with more cruelties than kindness, patrolled by machines made out of iron and not wood and rope. But life has its pleasantries here, I work with peace." Ninus said, slipping his hand under the table to clasp one of Novus'.

"Knights have taken a few of our number since you left. Ben's dead, so are Sam and Worth. We've been laying low on the south road, taking only a caravan a week. It's been getting real sparse, traders are getting wise and hiring more guards. Though we also added a few. Teenagers mostly, think the life of a highwayman is all swigging ale by the fire and singing bawdily. No one ever tells you about the bad food and the rain." Brother said. He shrugged and looked at Novus. "So boy, looking for you old dad eh? Half-sym? Don't let the other poisoner catch hold of you, he'll wet his shorts with glee. I never get what it is with poisoners and the damn widows, they think its some sort of holy-petching-grail."

Ninus scowled a bit at Brother. "The poison of a widow is a strong one indeed, no man has studied it, for no man has captured the poison. Many spiders hunt with such a poison, but not in such volume, never so strong. It is a noble thing, wise and old like a great snake. I would not dare disrespect such a creature. Older than the earth, I bow to my elders." he said.

Brother shrugged again. "Hey, I'm not insulting him. I'm just saying the day you get an ounce of that nasty stuff is the day I hire a food taster and wear a shield on my back." he said. "I know you wouldn't ever harm us, but if those knights ever start poisoning quarrels, I officially will retire. Better a farmer than seeing a hole burning through my chest. So, what does your dad look like? A corpse, seeing how he bedded a Sym? I hear they eat their mates."

Ninus put down his fork and his scowl deepened.
Ninus Aurellius
The Prince of Rats

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next