Hunting for Scraps [Open, Feel free to hate me]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Wing on July 18th, 2010, 11:57 pm

Timestamp: Summer 14, 510 AV

It was dark, just as Wing preferred. But it wasn't just preference that caused Wing to come out at night, it was survival. Wing did not belong in Riverfall, and the only thing that kept her alive was sticking to the darkness. With too many close calls to count, Wing was beginning to lose hope that she could find any kind of place in the city.

Tonight she was looking to scavenge for food. Wing was hungry and so far survived on whatever people left behind. If she was lucky, maybe she would find somebody alone and convince them to buy her something to eat. It wasn't that she didn't have mizas. Wing had more than she knew what to do with. Wing just couldn't find anybody to sell to her.

Wing eventually arrived at her destination, crouching behind a building and watching from afar. The Kulkukan Tavern and Inn was busy at all times of day and night, and it was here Wing could usually gather discarded scraps or goods fallen from the carts of the inn's suppliers. Wing hoped tonight she might find something a bit more fresh. If she was lucky she could catch somebody leaving and trick them into going back in and bringing her out some food. If she was unlucky, she'd most likely have to run away and wait until the workers of the inn took out the trash.
I want what I cannot have.. and it is agony.
Wing
Player

Words: 37851
Joined roleplay: March 19th, 2010, 11:18 pm
Race: Zith
Character sheet

Postby Puck on July 19th, 2010, 8:42 pm

Warm yellow light poured from the tavern as a patron left, stumbling along the stone path to wherever he might. His tall, blackened figure clearly marked him as an Akalak, and she could clearly see the outline of his Lakan as he shambled away. Several more customers entered the establishment, the lantern light welcomely flashing the outside world. It beckoned Wing forth, promising food, drink, and pain. Another patron entered, oblivious to the reconnoiterer peering through the shadows.

He stopped for a moment and braced himself against the side of a building, swaying dangerously. It would not have been a tragedy had he passed out, the warm night air that fell upon Riverfall during the Summer months made sleeping in the streets a rather viable option. Humidity swamped the air, and Wing was reminded of its source as the sound of the Bluevein River jutting off the three thousand foot precipice reached her ears. A timid breeze played through the city, not quite brazen enough to dispel the hanging moisture. Riverfall continued to slowly pulse even at night, though the current of life was not so strong now as during the sunlit hours. Every now and again Akalak, whether solitary or in a group, passed dangerously close to Wing's position. However, most were more engaged with escaping the night air than combing the streets for intruders.

But there was something her keen ears picked up... A footstep, and another. It was not unusual in itself, she had been hearing footsteps all night. But this came from somewhere else, from behind her. Before Wing's heart could so much as flutter in fear, a towering Akalak appeared in front of her from the street. His eyes bored into her, and she could almost feel the world ending as he dashed forward to grab her. More footsteps, still from behind. Another Akalak seemed to materialized from nowhere, seizing her wings in his powerful hands and pulling them down. The Akalak that had came at her from the street pulled a wicked looking Lakan from his belt, holding it at the ready. Two more Akalak appeared from the street, peering curiously at the scene. Upon noticing the Zith, they too pulled weapons and cautiously watched the warriors descend upon her. They were not affiliated with this arrest, but they would gladly rip her apart.
From the rooftops, Wing could hear the deep rumbling voice of yet another warrior, "You are hereby seized for unlawful presence within the city of Riverfall, by entering this city you have forfeited your liberty and are subject to the full force of the law." Wing could see an Akalak standing on the rooftop, his crossbow pointed at her head.

Warm yellow light poured from the tavern as another patron left.

Moderator NotePlease note that you are now timelocked until this sticky situation is solved.
Last edited by Puck on July 22nd, 2010, 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Puck
Loving your Lazy Eye

Words: 143109
Joined roleplay: May 5th, 2010, 11:15 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Wing on July 20th, 2010, 2:27 am

Wing watched in silence, still as a Nuit, as the inn's patrons came and went. The smells coming from inside were almost irresistible to her hungry stomach, but she knew she wouldn't last a minute inside the building. Wing wondered if she would ever be able to wander freely through the city, without fear of being killed. But she knew it was likely impossible, and she should just give up and try moving to a more tolerant place. But such thoughts were beyond her at the moment as her stomach growled again.

She watched quietly as an Akalak, clearly drunk, exited the inn and leaned against the wall. Were she with her own kind, such a mark would have quickly been made dinner. It had been a long time since Wing had tasted Akalak flesh... the alcohol in his blood would have given her a nice buzz. But those days were behind her. She knew if she wanted to make any progress she had to resist such urges, and continue eating the burnt leftovers of the citizens of the city.

Wing tensed when she heard a footstep from behind, but quickly reasoned that it was likely from another direction. That is, until she heard the second footstep. Before she could turn and react an Akalak was in front of her, and Wing's heart skipped a beat. This was both the moment she had feared and been waiting for the entire time she'd been in Riverfall. The Akalak pulled a weapon and Wing stepped back, letting out a sub-sonic shriek as she was grabbed from behind by who could only be the owner of the footsteps she'd heard mere moments before. Wing instinctively flexed her claws, which glinted in the lamplight, but relaxed them just as quickly. She knew she was in a bad situation, and violence would only make things worse.

A man from above said something about being under arrest, and Wing had a glimmer of hope. If these men were part of the law, and not just some random assailants, then she might have a chance. Wing stopped struggling and looked down at the ground, assuming the most unchallenging posture she could.

"I understand," she whispered. "I will not fight you... I have harmed no one in your city, and ask only that I am given a chance to speak for myself, so that I might explain why I am here. Her words were honest, though they may have been covered with just a hint of djed. She wanted them to pity them, or at the very least appeal to their sense of justice, though that might be non-existent toward a Zith. She hoped it would be enough to let her speak her case.
Wing
Player

Character sheet

Postby Puck on July 22nd, 2010, 8:58 pm

The Akalak guard's finger hovered over the trigger for a moment as the Zith spoke, reflexively wanting to end the beast's life before its toxic words polluted the air. Yet he did not end the Zith's life, slipping his finger away before barking at the woman, "Very well then. Speak, beast!" There was clearly little patience in this man, but at the very least Wing was given a chance to save herself. The other Akalakian guards eyed the woman anxiously, awaiting the signal to bind her.

Out in the main street, a small pack of children had began to congregate around the scene. They jostled each other, almost climbing over their companions to see the exotic creature for the first time. One of them shouted out, "Slay the Zith, Krioret!" The guard directing the arrest looked over and snapped at the children, "Enough, disperse." In an instant, the young Akalak scattered to their respective homes. However, it was doubtful any of them actually went to bed, instead peering out of windows and behind corners for a chance to follow the Zith after she had been arrested.
Puck
Loving your Lazy Eye

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Wing on August 15th, 2010, 4:36 am

Wing's mind raced, searching for the right words to say. She had no hope of defeating this many Akalak in combat, so her only option was to talk her way out of it. She wasn't going to hold back either. She would use every ounce of djed she had to survive this encounter if it was necessary. She learned quick enough in her last experience that simply being honest wasn't enough with these guards.

"I mean it when I say I mean no one in this city harm. I want only to live in peace.." Wing closed her eyes, trusting in the Akalak's sense of honor not to kill her when she couldn't see it. "I am not like other Zith. I admit I have done things... horrible things to your people in the past. But even then, I did not feel right about it." Somewhere in the guard's subconscious they heard the words, She's telling the truth.

"And then the Master came. He captured me and I was his slave for a long time. Even though I hated him for keeping me prisoner, I fell in love with the world he showed me. I never was allowed in the city, but what I saw from outside enchanted me. I learned that there was so much more to life than what the Zith could offer me." Again she pushed the feeling that what she was saying was true, and she should be given a chance. For the most part, her words were true.

"I escaped of course. I returned to my people, but I could not bear to be with them. So I left... and I came here in hopes that I might attone for my sinces and maybe.. I might eventually be accepted for who I am, not what. Wing opened her eyes and looked at the guard square in his own. "Lock me up if you must. Make me a slave, I don't care. But I beg you, do not kill me now. At least give me the chance to earn my right to live here. I am willing to do anything that is asked of me." Wing fell silent, awaiting her judgement. If things turned for the worst, she would try to escape, slim as her chances were. Wing would not die without a fight.

OOC: Sorry for taking so long to respond. See signature for details.
Wing
Player

Character sheet

Postby Puck on September 3rd, 2010, 12:08 am

The guard known as Krioret simply stared at the Zith for a time. None of his compatriots moved a muscle, the tension coalesced and solidified in the humidity like a thick cream. Only the sound of the Kulkukan across the cobbles served to drown out the whirring of the officer's brain. He disappeared for an instant, his heavy boots thumping down a stairwell before he rounded the corner into the alley. Krioret's compatriots moved aside as he made his way to Wing and bent in front of her. His skin glistened in the night air with the sweat of adrenaline, but his eyes were of iron. Unwaveringly, he stared at Wing and pursed his lips. "So you wish to live in Riverfall..." His fingers rapped the stock of his crossbow as he contemplated the absurd notion.

"Very well then, Zith. We are not an unfair people, you shall earn your freedom in the same manner every other citizen would." Krioret stood, turning to address the towering Akalak wielding the lakan, "Do you believe this should be handled personally, or would she face..." The man spoke in whispers that Wing's keen hearing could easily discern, ruining any attempt at secrecy. His companion forewent any attempt at discretion, speaking with a bass that filled the alley, "She is earning her citizenship, use the city. I still say we kill her now though, she is a Zith! For the sake of Wysar, this is insane."
"Insane or not, this is the law of the city. Regardless, we could arrange for... For him."
"You mean Woredev?" Wing could see the gleam of the big Akalak's teeth as a grin broke out across his face. "That is laughable, but Woredev deserves it."

Krioret turned to the Akalak on the street, signaling them to Wing. They marched forth, each of them seizing the Zith's arms and roughly hauling her to her feet. Krioret stood before the convict, giving her the same metallic gaze as before. "I find myself believing you, but I shall not disregard the will of the council." He reached into his pocket, pulling forth a small sack and tearing a strip of cloth from it. This he tied about the Zith's eyes, blinding her to the sights of Riverfall.

The Zith's feet drug along the ground as the two Akalak dragged her through the streets, her strides unable to match their much longer ones. Sounds of life one by one switched off, as if Riverfall had fallen silent to watch Wing's blind journey. Where at first she had heard talking and commerce and singing, now all that remained were the heavy footfalls of her guards. Their strong fingers dug into her arms, clearly worried she might attempt to flee. A door was opened, heavy and warped against its frame if its protests were any indicator. The structure they entered was no cooler or less humid than the outside, the only true difference being the smooth stone floor. Another set of footsteps took over as the trio halted, and Wing heard the jangling of keys in a door. The rest was not long, and the Zith's feet were soon banging against stairs as she was taken away. Down they descended, first one flight, then another, and another. Her feet became raw as each staircase blended into another.

One more door was opened, the rasping of rusty iron hinges reaching Wing's ears. Her blindfold was removed, and she found herself thrust into what appeared to be a small cell. It could not have been more than ten feet squared, and damp hay matted the floor. What appeared to be the half decomposed remains of an Akalak lay prostrate near the far wall, a small bucket of water clutched in his lifeless arms. The iron gate closed. The Akalak were gone, not a soul was to be seen.

But she was not alone. "Hello, Wing."
Puck
Loving your Lazy Eye

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Wing on October 1st, 2010, 2:22 am

Wing stood silently as the large Akalak contemplated her fate. She did not flinch or cringe when he approached her, as much as she felt the need to. She did not waver when he rapped the crossbow, an obvious reminder of the severity of the situation before her. When he next spoke the relief was obvious on her face, if only for a moment, for his next words worried her even more. She didn't know much about Akalak customs, but could imagine how one might earn their citizenship. And who was this Woredev? Wing didn't have long to contemplate the matter for she was grabbed and blindfolded and hauled away.

Wing had plenty of time for her worry to build, but she was not dead, and that gave her hope. Whatever might lay ahead, she had been given the chance she so dearly wanted. She did not attempt to flee, despite her best instincts, but listened with keen ears to every footfall, every breath, every sound that was made, trying to stay as aware of her surroundings as possible. They were going underground, and she could tell it was getting dark. Whatever they had planned for her, they were going into her domain and this comforted her... if only a little.

When she was thrust into the room her eyes quickly adjusted to the darkness, which to her was as bright as day. She was in some kind of cell, not very large, but large enough to house a prisoner or two. There was old wet hay on the floor and a bucket of water. Perhaps most disturbing of all was the lifeless corpse clutching the bucket tightly. She did not see anyone with her, but she quickly realized this was not so...

Puck wrote:But she was not alone. "Hello, Wing."

OOC: Sorry for taking so long again... after the robberies we decided to move, and that has taken up much of my time.
Wing
Player

Character sheet

Postby Baku on May 4th, 2011, 1:21 am

It was the voice that echoed first, deep and stern. The type of voice that seemed to carry a commanding presence with it. Then came the clicking of heals along the hard cold surface of the floor. It’s obvious such wasn’t coming from the corpse that sat within the cell that Wing was present in. As Wing peered around through the cells, searching for the source, she eventually found herself gazing upon the tall figure, clad in hooded robes, stepping out of the darkness of a shadow. Whether he had been there all along or had actually stepped from the shadows themselves, Wing could only guess.

“You are somewhat of a paradox, young Zith.” the figure said as he continued to step closer. A hand reached up from idle rest it had taken from his side, blue skinned fingers stretching out as they began tapping along the bars of Wing’s cell. “You claim to want to break away from the tribe, the race you were born into. To start a life and in doing so prove you are not like others of your race. Yet, you choose the one city in all the lands who’s culture has them hunting your kind as a means of proving they have entered the next stage in their life.”

The figure then slowly reached up, the blue fingers wrapping around the edges of that deep hood that shrouded his face in shadow for the moment. A slow tug along the fabric brought the hood’s fabric to rest along his shoulders, revealing the older face of the Akalak, a strong face with a piercing gaze, yet wise in study. Several wrinkles lined the Akalak’s face, showing the centuries of experience behind that gaze as stern look matched his voice. “If you don’t know who I am, I will save you the trouble of the questioning so that I may get the answers to mine.” The Akalak said, standing close enough to the bars that Wing could actually reach out and attempt to touch him if she wished. “I am Nevar Chivan, head of the Elder council of Riverfall. Not counting the Gods who spend their time among us, I am as close to ruler of this city as it can come.”

Nevar’s hands then fell idle to his sides once again, but out of her peripheral vision, Wing could catch the glint of reflected light seeming to peek out of his right sleeve. Of that glint, she could discern that there was the tip of a bladed weapon hidden within Nevar’s sleeve. Whether she was spotting this because Nevar chose to reveal it, or it was just plain luck, Wing couldn’t be sure. At best, she could just surmise that it was a message, that while he was getting as close as he was to her currently, such didn’t mean he wouldn’t be hesitant in dealing her a serious injury if she mistook his proximity for either foolish trust or inexperience. “So why is it you have chosen Riverfall, Wing?” Nevar said as he stood there, still gazing into her eyes. “There are several other cities around their lands that you likely have an easier time building a normal life with. So why choose the one of those that would give you the most difficulty?”

“Was it complete obliviousness to our culture?” Nevar then asked before shaking his head. “No, else you wouldn’t have approached the city gates in such a submissive way as you had.”

“Perhaps it was complete an utter foolishness?” Nevar then suggested, tilting his head slightly before looking into her eyes more deeply, as if trying to peer into her very thoughts. “I can’t say you are stupid. Mistakes you did make, but you weren’t typical in how you dealt with the situation that landed you hear in this cell. Almost any other Zith in your position would have likely attacked violently and physically when the first stone was thrown. Then again, no Zith before you has ever chosen to get this close to the city after the first one had been plucked from the sky by one of our archers, so I can’t rule that out completely either.”

“Perhaps it is a pure sense of stubbornness? The idea of proving to yourself.” Nevar then finally said, stepping to the side for a moment before a stool was dragged in front of the cell and he set himself on it. “Is it that you feel that, if you can claw a life for yourself here, it would be simple elsewhere?”

Nevar then paused for a moment, studying Wing in silence. “Somehow, I am settling a bit on a mix of the latter two.” Nevar then said, leaning forward and resting his elbows along his knees to support his upper weight. “So tell me, in your own words, why try to make a life for yourself in Riverfall, of all places?”

~Not all dreams, are meant to be had.

Baku
Dream Eater

Words: 151190
Joined roleplay: September 19th, 2010, 4:28 am
Office

Postby Wing on May 10th, 2011, 6:43 pm

Nevar Chivan, head of the Elder council of Riverfall. Wing was certainly no expert on the intricacies of Akalak politics but she knew enough to know that Nevar was the one man in all the city who might actually be able to help her.. if he didn't just kill her first. He seemed curious about her, not openly hostile like every other Akalak she had come across so far, and this gave Wing hope. He wanted to know why she had chosen Riverfall, of all places, as the place she wanted to settle. He was close to figuring it out already, and his last remark was almost spot on. It certainly wasn't obliviousness to Akalak culture; Wing had chosen Riverfall because of Akalak culture. Her decision to come to the city, while perhaps lacking wisdom, had indeed ben a calculated decision. When he asked her to tell him in her own words the thought of using her hypnotism crossed her mind, but Wind decided against it. She ahd nothing to hide, and a man with as much experience as he would probably be able to tell. Saving magic as a last resort, Wind answered.

"It is as you said... at least in part." Wing approached the bars but did not reach for the Akalak, she just wanted to get a better look at him. She also noticed the glint of metal, but had no intention of giving him a reason to use it. "What better place to prove myself than in the one city that would least likely accept me? Maybe I am being stubborn and foolish, but I have always been stubborn." Wing put her hands on the bars, looking Nevar straight in the eyes as she continued. He was an intimidating man, but she would not let that get to her. "I am not trying to be good, I doubt any Zith could call themselves that, but I am sincere when I say I am different. Even before.. I was different. I wanted to learn from you, but my brothers and sisters just wanted to kill and eat. And then I was captured by a human and he showed me a world I had only imagined. I watched from afar as he entered your city and listened with excitement as he brought back tales of life there. there is so much my kind does not understand, and most f them don't want too. The Master... he taught me so much." Wing gripped the bars of her cell tightly, her eyes falling from the Elder. "I almost regret killing him sometimes..."

Wing's mind flashed back to the day she escaped from her enslavement. She had been free of the Master's power for some time, but Wing had stayed and waited. She knew she could learn from him. She watched as he manipulated the minds of others, sometimes with magic and other times with simple words alone. She came to realize that everyone in the caravan, not just her, was under his spell, and she knew she wanted that power too. So Wind watched, learned, practiced, and when she felt she was ready she ended it. Killing her master had been an act of foolish passion, ripping him to pieces and consuming his flesh, and she feared she had done it too early. Perhaps she could have confronted him with words instead of violence. She was free of his spell, had nothing to fear, but what if there was more to learn? What if the master had been willing to teach her?

It dawned on Wing then that she had never felt regret before about anything. She had never even truly understood the word, and while her reasons for regret were purely selfish she thought she understood. She had lost a valuable resource the day she killed her Master and would never get it back. It was a strange feeling, regret. Her eyes snapped back up and Wing continued with her story. "After he was dead I went back to Din, but I knew I could not stay there." Wing shook her head at the memory. "My kind are savage and have no taste for a civilized life, but I want more. I want to see your beautiful falls up close, feel the spray of water on my face. I want to drink.. what is it called? Ale? I want to drink ale in your taverns, to spend mizas in your markets, to talk to people who are interested in more than killing, eating, and torturing. And I want to do it here, in the city of my enemies, where I can prove to them in person that I am truly a different breed of Zith." Wing stepped back from the bars, having fallen silent, and awaited the Elder's response. She thought she had given a good speech. It was mostly truthful and she hadn't used a drop of djed. Wing hoped she hadn't been mistaken in that part..

OOCSorry for taking so long. I've been caught up with other PCs and forgot to check on Wing. Most times I respond within a day or two.
Wing
Player

Character sheet

Postby Baku on May 29th, 2011, 12:56 am

Nevar remained silent for the longest time, his hands slowly cupping behind his back as he studied Wing’s face. Eventually he began to pace back and forth in front of Wing’s cell as if in contemplation. “Your’s is an interesting tale Wing, but all the same, it is a life I don’t foresee you being successful in.” Nevar said as he stood sideways in front of her cell. “Even if you are different from the rest of your kin, many of my kin won’t see it as such. Your path here would be torturous, at best.” Nevar explained, looking back into Wing’s eyes. “And that’s only if you made it past Woredev and earned your right to stay here. For the magical persuasion you used on the guard when you were being escorted, you will have to face Woredev if you wish to stay.”

Nevar then stepped close to the cell door, his left hand slowly reaching up to the bars as fingers wrapped around and lightly grasped the cool metal. “He is not an opponent you’re likely to best, even with your Hypnosis.” Nevar continued, his gaze serious more than curious now as he looked to large wings along her back. “And he would be devious in his brutality of you. Are you willing to risk what carries you in the sky, to possibly risk your life, in order to stay among the Akalak Wing? Especially knowing that if you do survive Woredev, you will face bigotry, hatred and possible future attacks on every bell of almost every day?”

“If you feel that it is not worth that risk, I will give you safe passage to leave Riverfall, here an now. No harm will befall you, and you will be free to go and possibly earn the trust of current and future generations of Akalak who are out there, on their hunts.” Nevar then offered. “If you chose to stay, however, your only course of action, will be to survive Woredev.”

“What say you, Wing?” Nevar then asked.

~Not all dreams, are meant to be had.

Baku
Dream Eater

Words: 151190
Joined roleplay: September 19th, 2010, 4:28 am
Office

Next