Closed Gardening For Complete Beginners... (Oriel)

... Or How Not To Introduce Yourself To Strangers and Swans.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Home of the Konti people, this ivory city is built of native konti stone half in and half out of the sea. Its borders touch the Silverwood, and stretch upwards towards Silver Lake, home of the infamous konti vision water. [Lore]

Gardening For Complete Beginners... (Oriel)

Postby Janba on July 15th, 2013, 3:17 am

Day 2, Summer 513

Once again Janba found himself completely and utterly lost. The houses, though individually spectacular in their decorative state, started to look the same after a while. He'd been lost once already today which had led to him having to ask directions. But here he was again trudging the finely paved streets with no idea what direction he was headed.

A familiar rumble brought Janba's attention to his stomach, as it made it's growling complaint of a lack of attention of late. True indeed, he hadn't had much of an appetite while on that blasted ship, most of what he ate having ended up in the sea. The thought of it brought a reminder of the taste of bile, and he spat on the ground without realizing. It took a disapproving look from a passerby to remind him of his manners.

"My apologies ma'am", he offered, wondering if she understood him. With that incident out of the way, he decided to stop at the side of the road for a moment to collect his thoughts and appease his hunger. Sliding the backpack off his shoulders, he rummaged inside for whichever morsels of food he could find. An apple appeared in his hand, but no sooner had he attempted a bite that someone bumped harshly into him from behind.

The would be lunch ejected from his hand as if determined not to be eaten this day, landing with an unceremonious thud in the well kept garden he had been stood by. Turning suddenly brought a wave of pain in his injured hip, causing him to stumble back and trip over the backpack. Landing flat on his back, he heard children laughing before they scampered off down the street.

"Look where you're going next time, you lizards", he sent with them.

Waiting for a few moments for his hip to cease with its protestations, concern grew as he felt a pain in the small of his back. But as he slowly lifted himself up enough to feel with his hand, the searching fingers found the apple. Thankfully it wasn't harmed too badly. He couldn't say the same for the garden though.

After what seemed an age, Janba finally got to his feet and dusted himself down. Looking around, he noted that this appeared some kind of herb garden. Unlike the others though, this one had a very unique pattern in the middle of it, one that only a stupid clumsy man could create by rolling around like a dog.

"Well that's great", he muttered, bending down to fetch his backpack. It might have been in Sunberth that such an event would end with a knife in the stomach. Didn't take much back home to get people's blood boiling. But here he doubted his chaotic debut as a gardener would be rewarded with such harsh retribution.

So he thought. For anyone close enough to hear, the noise from Janba's surprised lips was a cross between a curse word and a sound like a threatened woodland animal. Turning once more to discover this new assailant, he found himself face to face with... well, he honestly had no idea.

It looked like a bird or a duck as best he could tell. It was as white as the stone houses around him and every bit as majestic. This one had a long, slender neck, curved as it rose before coming to those beady eyes and that mean looking beak. That beak certainly hurt, but as he stepped back to avoid further punishment, he couldn't help but wonder to himself what that thing would taste like roasted over a fire. His stomach grumbled in agreement.

He certainly did wonder the strangest things at times.
Last edited by Janba on August 10th, 2013, 3:38 am, edited 6 times in total.
Janba
Player

Words: 4156
Joined roleplay: June 23rd, 2013, 9:38 pm
Race: Human

Postby Oriel on July 15th, 2013, 4:05 pm

She had to start working on her order for her clients. It was a huge job and she needed to go out into the forest and start collecting right now. She was in the middle of packing when she heard her swan start freaking out at something. Now was so not the time, she needed to go and she didn't have time to comfort her damn swan who was just upset because an unfertilized egg broke when she laid it on the hard ground.

That happened much more than she liked to admit. Oriel often suspected that her Pen had some mental issues. But she finished packing, quickly before she went out to check on her egg supplier. She packed what she normally packed on these expeditions. She had her flint and steel, her spade, game knife, glass jar, Journal, quill and ink, her keys and her woven basket.

She went outside, to where her swan was squawking, in the middle of her ruined garden, at a human male, whom she had never seen before. She stood stock still for a few seconds before she freaked out as much as her swan was. There was a man, in her garden, a dirty looking man. He was in her garden, her perfectly organized, healthy garden, that was now broken and distraught. Her garden that she depended upon to help her with this order that she needed to finish in the next few days. What. Was. Going. On.

While this was all going through her head, on the outside she was frozen, staring straight at the human, with raging eyes. Her basket was hung in the crook of her elbow and her backpack slung loosely on her shoulders, and if there was anything in her hands, she would've dropped it. Luckily there wasn't. But after she was done going crazy in her mind, she started to spout out all that was going in her head.

"What did you do? Who are you? Get out! Get out of my garden! I just worked on that this morning, and every other morning of my life! What did you do?" She screamed at the man. This would take up her entire day now. She would need to go find more plants in the woods to supply her garden instead of finding the ones she needed for tea which she had planned to do today.

She sighed, her rage now turning to worry and disappointment. This set her back at least a day, and what if that one day, her clients decided to change their mind. There were a lot of plants in that garden. It would definitely take the whole day to resupply it.

She sighed again and walked over to her swan. She gently smoothed its feathers and murmured quietly in Konti to it. It soon calmed and then walked away, back to doing it's own thing.
Oriel
Tea Maker and Botanist

Words: 16268
Joined roleplay: June 27th, 2013, 12:59 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Janba on July 17th, 2013, 1:15 am

Dear oh dear indeed, multiplied by a dozen and a dozen again. Janba would have cursed his luck a thousand times over in as many languages if they existed. Stepping back from this new onslaught, his face wore first an expression of genuine surprise followed by complete dismay. Here he was in a foreign country being berated by one of the locals. And worse yet, it was all his own stupid doing.

Well, technically he might have called those marauding children to question, but that seemed a feeble excuse in the present situation. Instead he had little choice but to stand there and take it like a man. He hardly dared look up, like a scolded child caught with his hand in the cookie jar. The one time he did look at his tormentor, he was greeted with rage filled eyes that had all the hostility of a threatened, angry, hungry creature of some great and terrible design.

"Well ma'am, if I may begin by offering my sincerest apologies? It really isn't quite how it seems." With that he looked around at the ground beneath him, a war torn battlefield of greens and browns, tattered and maimed without mercy. It really was a sorry sight.

"Look, perhaps I can compensate you? I have gold. I can pay for the damage incurred if that's what you want"?
Last edited by Janba on August 10th, 2013, 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Janba
Player

Words: 4156
Joined roleplay: June 23rd, 2013, 9:38 pm
Race: Human

Postby Oriel on August 7th, 2013, 4:49 pm

"Compensate me? What do you think you just destroyed?! You cant buy new plants. I grew those! I cared for them! You stupid, stupid human. On one of the busiest days of my life I have to scratch everything and go find forage for new plants."

Oriel sighed and put her hand over her face. She was sure her face of a bright pink and she needed a few breaths before she could even start to think of what she needed to do now. Sighing again, she straightened her blouse and ran a hand through her white hair. "I know a few places that might have the plants I need..." She mumbled to herself. "Maybe a few might still be in season near the eastern grove..."

Her hands on her hips she looked and surveyed the man before her. He looked middle aged, in human years that is. She herself was probably much older than him, maybe double his age. Yet she was not yet a full grown adult. Soon though she would and most considered her one. The man looked a bit raged, though that may have been because of his age and oddly silver hair. His unkempt stubble of a beard. He was a tall man as well, much taller than herself, though he seemed shorter than he was as he looked to be favoring his right leg. His clothing seemed worn and tattered, as if he had come back from living within the woods for an extended amount of time. But Oriel's overall conclusion is that he looked poor. He looked poor, and out of place here in the beautiful Konti Isle that she called home. He looked tattered, although not dirty. Worn, but not old, there was a past to him that Oriel could tell weakened him.

But he was not the point of her thinking. She was still delayed a day and still needed to fix her garden in order to even start her orders. It was going to be a long day for her.

OOCI am SO sorry. It's been so hectic with me lately and I really didnt expect this to take this long. Won't happen again! I promise!
Oriel
Tea Maker and Botanist

Words: 16268
Joined roleplay: June 27th, 2013, 12:59 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes