Completed [The Bronze Woods] Yukmen Hunting (Ninus, Wade, Shiyami)

A group of strangers meet, drawn by the rumors of a job exterminating Yukmen in the Bronze Woods

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Stretching northward along the coastline of the Suvan Sea, the Cobalt Mountains are the home of the Bronze Wood, numerous ruins, and creatures both strange and fantastical.

[The Bronze Woods] Yukmen Hunting (Ninus, Wade, Shiyami)

Postby Radiant on July 20th, 2013, 7:06 am

The Bronze Woods, 14th of Bell, 60th of Summer 513 AV

Wind and thunder, the nature seemed to be in a rage today as a storm hits the Sylira region, lightnings boomed and struck everywhere, winds blowing apart loose objects, and chaos erupted in the wilderness. This brought a problem as a group of monsters spawned in the Bronze Woods, the infamous monster known as Yukmen, spawning from the ground itself, always hungry, always searching for victims.

But this didn't go unnoticed, for one dire Kelvic, the Radiant White Wolf and guardian of the forest, Ama was determined to root out this pest from the Woods, the Woods that she called home. These Yukmen, however savage they are, at least had the sentience to not actually attack Syliras, they would be slaughtered by the knights. Ama also couldn't handle them on her own and she didn't want to trouble the knights, they need every manpower they got. So, she spread rumors to the city, offering a mercenary job to anyone interested in taking down these monsters with the reward... gemstones, flawless ruby, sapphire, and emerald she got from a merchant she helped once.

The Bronze Woods, specifically the edge of the forest just outside the city walls, stood a very large white wolf. Some hunters who passed her bowed in respect at the well-known Kelvic. At the peak of the storm, she predicted this was the time those monsters would be most active so she stood waiting, to see if there were any brave men and women answering the call.

OOCAlright, you guys can begin with hearing or already knowing the rumor, they should tell you about the job and the rendezvous point would be the edge of the forest just outside the city walls, near the Sacred Arch Hotspring. They would also tell you to look for a very large White Wolf. ;) Happy hunting, gentlemen!
Radiant
Sailor Radiant

Words: 781936
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2013, 1:39 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Wade on July 20th, 2013, 7:48 am

Wade pulled his cloak tight about him as he headed out through the gate for the second time that day. He had gone out early in the morning to hunt but the weather had forced him to scurry home soaking wet and blinded by constant flashes of lightning. He was honestly afraid to go back out into that storm but the promise of a job with a rather healthy reward had convinced him to gather his pack, bow, and battleaxe and head back out into it.

Wade had gone directly from his room out to the tavern where he heard the rumor. A couple of the hunters said that there were Yukmen spawning out in the woods. Wade wasn't quite sure what a Yukman was, but he was pretty sure it was on the list of names of scary creatures his father had used to scare him into obedience as a child. He wondered if the Bronze Woods would be too dangerous to go hunting for the next several weeks and despaired at what that would do to his livelihood.

Of course, when they followed it up with the rumor that a great White Wolf Kelvic was offering a handsome reward for helping to clear them out, Wade had jumped at the opportunity. He would make up for spending the last few weeks not making even a bronze while giving himself security on his future hunts.

Besides, he was starting to feel a bit protective of the Bronze Wood. Strange monsters coming in and wrecking the place stirred up something in him.

Wade walked along the wall toward the Sacred Arch Hotspring, wondering exactly where he was supposed to meet up with this Kelvic. The storm still raged above, making it difficult for him to see very far. However, he did see a large white wolf, matching the description the hunters gave, oddly standing still at the edge of the forest. He walked toward the wolf and raised a hand in greeting. He struggled for a moment with the name of the Kelvic before it came to mind.

The hunters he had spoken with spoke of her with some respect, but Wade himself had never heard much about her before. Still, he spoke with deference in his tone out of respect for the respect that the older hunters had given her. "Hello, are you Ama? I have come because I heard you needed help clearing out some Yukmen."
Wade
A Youth of Syliras

Words: 64682
Joined roleplay: July 6th, 2013, 7:07 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Shiyami on July 20th, 2013, 8:05 am

Normally when one knows Shiyami, they know him as a laid-back ghost, affected by the ever present boredom. They would not know him as he is now. Hovering along his way, towards Bronze Woods, projecting an atmosphere of annoyance. His reason? Having to be brought back to Bronze Woods for a job. This would be the some odd but high numbered time he has come to this forest, whether willingly or not. Not even having his adoptive daughter beside him to relieve his boredom made this journey a notch below par. Choosing to leave her behind in Syliras was the safest option for her, for one never knows what may occur in battle, but Shiyami was almost reconsidering his decision by the time he made it to the forest's edge.

Seeing a man had beaten him there, Shiyami sighed audibly. However, he then noticed the large white wolf next to said man. Praying that the fighting would be worth the waiting, he dragged the box beside him, Before promptly sitting down on it, and turning his eyes onto the wolf. Well, an eye would be the better term. In keeping with his personal promise, he kept his left eye closed."You are the wolf that the living spoke of? The one that required combatants?", Shiyami asked, in a tone that seemed to say, 'This better be worth my time'. The human beside the wolf can be questioned in a moment.
See if I have given you a nickname here!
Click me please~!
Shiyami
Death's Shadow

Words: 125205
Joined roleplay: July 14th, 2013, 3:29 am
Race: Ghost
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Ninus Aurellius on July 20th, 2013, 5:36 pm

The Prince of Rats

Ninus had first heard the call working in his shoddy apartment. He was finishing the distillation of nightshade poison into bulbed quarrels to sell; an assassin had kindly requested the bolts, and Ninus had made more than he bargained for. He rather enjoyed the process, and had a good thirty left over from his efforts. Now he was gathering the remainders of the poison into vials to be placed securely in his poison kit. He worked swiftly and quietly, his deft fingers not spilling a drop as he worked.

Cricet had other plans. She leapt up onto the table, careful not to disturb her master's work, and placed a rather tattered piece of parchment at his disposal. Ninus laid the vials in his poison kit and picked up the letter, scanning over it carefully. It was from his adoptive brother. The large red-haired highwayman had been living in the Bronze Woods for years with the remainders of Ninus' odd little thieving family, around 25 highwaymen who terrorized the roads there. Ninus frowned at the paper. Yukmen had apparently risen in the woods, and were cutting off the area where his family hunted the caravans...and they were asking for his help.

If he took the job, Brother informed him Ama would be waiting at the edge of the woods. The wolf had apparently seen the same problem, and had put out a bounty on the Yukmen. Not only would this help Ninus' family, he would recieve enough gemstones to buy a few new poisonous plants, or perhaps some things for Cricet. Ninus folded the letter and packed up his kit, loading the large brass syringe and taking the quarrels for good measure. He wrapped them carefully in a rag and strapped them to his back with an old belt. With luck, they could be used as a thrusting weapon to deliver the poison. They were normal quarrels, for the most part, with the iron head encased in a glass bulb. The bulb contained the nightshade poison. The quarrel's head was simply a good method of delivering the poison, as the soaked iron would ensure the victim got a lethal dose.

Ninus offered his arm to Cricet, who leapt up onto it and scrambled up to his shoulder. "My lords, my ladies, it is here my family cries from the woods for mine help and aid. I have not your keen ears, it is Cricet who has delivered my brother's fears to me, and I cannot help but aid the men who fed me." Ninus told the rats currently visiting the apartment. "If my body lies still and cold in the woods, if my spirit gains no rest, if my family's fears go unmolested....Cricet is thine queen and shall guide thee through safe waters."

Ninus couldn't help but notice that some of the rats pulled their pups closer, and others cast a meaningful eye toward the pantry. If Ninus did die, and Cricet came back alone...she'd come back to chaos.

The poisoner locked up his home and headed out of the city, poison kit and quarrels with him, the syringe in his pocket and Cricet on his shoulder. Yukmen biology was something of a mystery to him, being of the earth could they be poisoned by plants that came from the self-same soil? Would it be more or less effective? He would see, it seemed. He avoided the knights as he headed out of Syliras, his sharp ears listening for a snarl or hiss from Cricet that would indicate one of the reprehensible creatures was nearby. Ninus hated the knights. They killed the rats and murdered his clients (in their own way, labeling it justice), and made living for him harder in Syliras.

He made it out of the gates, looking to Cricet. "My dear lady, if thou art brave of soul and strong of mettle, come with me." he told her quietly. He set one of the bundles of quarrels on the table. The poisoner picked up his things and took a deep breath. He had never seen Ama, the Guardian of the Bronze Wood, but his 'mother' Freidys had told him about her. A symbol of the wood's ferocity and bounty.

Ninus spotted her easily; the large white creature settled on her large paws, with bright intelligent eyes and snowy fur. He was a bit nervous to find that two other men were also there, and he was apparently the last to join. "My white lady. Thou hast sent up a mighty call indeed, to summon the Prince of Rats from his lair. The earth has birthed abominations of the flesh, stone that lives and bleeds, and thou hast labeled them a blight upon thy sacred ground and wood. You honor this humble poisoner and his subjects, as his family lives and hunts in this wood thou hast called me to their aid as well as to thy own. Pray, my poisons are your own fangs that shall deliver eternal sleep and a return to the earth." Ninus said to Ama with a sweeping bow.

He eyed the other two. A ghost, and a man. "The name bestowed upon me is Ninus Aurellius, my companions in slaughter. The ruler of rats that has slipped from between the clumsy gauntlets of the armored donkeys within Syliras with but a laugh on his lips to come aid our canine mistress. Tell me, what are thy names? If I am to bury and drink with thee, I would know thee." he told them.

Ninus hoped Cricet would return soon. He didn't do well with other men on his own. Ninus was a solitary creature by nature, and though his relationship with Novus was helping his social anxiety, it hadn't quite dispelled it. People were often repelled by his archaic, pre-Valterrian manner of speech and his close relationship with the hordes of rodents that swarmed Syliras' bowels. If that didn't do the trick, seeing the fifteen pound rat that was his steadfast companion often did the job.
Last edited by Ninus Aurellius on July 30th, 2013, 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ninus Aurellius
The Prince of Rats

Words: 151414
Joined roleplay: June 17th, 2013, 2:44 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Radiant on July 21st, 2013, 2:22 pm

The first volunteer arrived at the scene, a young man with dark hair, dark eyes, and looked able-bodied. Ama noticed the various weapons he's carrying and could saw the determination in his eyes, he shared the same love for the forest as Ama did, perhaps he had some attachments to it. Ama silently nodded to Wade, confirming his question; she couldn't talk in Common due to being in her dire wolf form, but she didn't need to. She trusted this young man was good and brave, the kind of man suited for this job. She would ask for his name... but later, she wanted to see the others first.

The second being arrived, this time it was a ghost, dragging a box with him. In the past, Ama would flinch a little at the drop of temperature but after meeting the particular phantom who took the form of a little girl named Kouri, she's not so awed anymore. She also noticed the aura this male ghost emanated was far below Kouri's level... it was rather ironic on how a seemingly little girl could emit such a presence, far above this older-looking ghost. It was another proof that you can't judge a book by its cover.

Ama's brow frowned at the arrogant tone this ghost had, Ama gave him a chilling look that seemed to stare back into his ethereal body, she had survived a psychotic deadly phantom albeit barely, she was confident she could handle this weaker ghost. Her gnosis slightly glowed with yellow bright light, ready to go off and burn him with light should this ghost tried anything funny. It was a silent threat, Ama was basically saying "Don't you mess with me, boy". Ama didn't care about age, age and appearance doesn't determine anything, what mattered were one's principle, attitude, and demeanor. She's only thirteen years old by human standards.

When the third man arrived, Ama almost got the feeling she recognized this man, he had made some name for himself in the city's underground world... His archaic speech could not be mistaken, he was indeed... The Prince of Rats as poeple called him. So, his name was Ninus Aurellius, very interesting. Ama liked his noble-like attitude, it's far different from the arrogant ghost beside him. But Ama also noticed his disdain for the Syliran Knights, Ama frowned at that, her father taught her the Knights' virtues and she took it to heart. But the words of him curing a wealthy man also reached her ears, Ama supposed he's a good man at heart, just disliking authority. She nodded in acknowledgement, his poisons could perhaps be useful in fighting the Yukmen, they are organic beings after all and have living functional organs.

Once these three men had gathered, Ama's body glowed and she transformed into her human form, a clothless woman with snow white hair and deep reddish brown eyes. She didn't care for her bare state, it was a silent test to know if a man (and sometimes women) was decent enough to ignore state of clothing. Acting as if she was clothed normally, Ama nodded and began to speak in Common.

Under the booming, raging, sky and rain. Ama spoke with clear, precise, yet gentle voice. "Good afternoon gentlemen, I am Ama" She kept her greeting simple.

She then asked for Wade's name and nodded once he had given her "Sir Wade, an honor to meet you. I see that you love the Woods as much as I do, I respect you for that".

Next, she faced Ninus "Sir Aurellius, the Prince of Rats, I've heard about you. Though your methods are questionable, people say that you actually cure innocent men and women and punish those who are vile. I can see your justice, but I would appreciate if you do not look down on the Knights. Without their protection, Syliras would not exist, innocents would not be protected, and... Rhysol's influence would spread far and wide. This is the strongest bastion of justice that stood firm against the god of evil's corruption" She also made a thinking expression, his family lives in the Woods? She wanted to meet them and to converse with them "Sir Ninus, may I kindly ask you who are your families? They are technically my neighbors".

Ama approached the ghost last, she eyed him while keeping her gnosis visible for him to see, a shining yellow beacon on both of her palms. "Phantom, I have met another of your kind... and to be frank, she emits a presence that made the hairs on my neck stand also proven by her abilities. But you..." she inched closer to him and look at Shiyami straight at his one opened eye, her deep brown piercing "...I feel nothing from you. Your demeanor does not match your presence... young one. I don't care how old you are, you're still but a boy in my presence" If this ghost emitted the same or even stronger presence than the Bane of the Wolves, then perhaps she could accept his attitude, but it was not the case. One clear thing to her was, this ghost was dragging around a box, not picking it up, that already was a testament on his power.

Not bothering with it any further, Ama gained some distance and picked up a stick. The rain was pouring down, drenching them all in water saved the ghost. Ama then made a crude drawing on the ground, somewhat resembling a humanoid Yukman. "We're facing mindless monsters here, gentlemen. As you may know, they are quite infamous and called 'Yukman' or 'Yukmen' in plural. They are a blight and should be spared no mercy, they are not even sentient beings, rest assured that no guilty conscience should toll your mind. You're doing a great favor by exterminating them"

She then eyed the three volunteers "Sir Wade, you are to be in the front line with me, we will fight them side by side. I'm sure your battleaxe could be put to good use. Also, you can use your bow in conjunction with Sir Ninus' poison, I shall explain soon."

Turning her attention to Ninus and his poison kit "Sir Ninus, I want you to coat each of Sir Wade's arrows with your finest poison that affects muscles and nerves, those Yukmen relied completely on physical ability. I also need you to create some medicine for us should we are wounded, I assume if you have the ability to maim, you can also use it for curing, yes? When in combat, stay out of sight... but I warn you, Yukmen could be unpredictable, I shall use my light to deter them but I want you to know that you may have to defend yourself, at least fend them until I could come to your aid"

She then gave the ghost the same piercing look "Phantom. You can talk, but let's see if you have the abilities to prove it. As Yukmen couldn't hurt you unless you harden (materialize) yourself, this should be a one-sided battle. I want you to strike first, spread confusion among them, and then the rest of us we'll strike. Also, leave your box here, by the way you're dragging them, you would slow us down, it's better for you to utilize your intangibility to the fullest or unless you have some kind of weapon you could wield easily?"

Turning her attention back to her three comrades, she began to form the first preparation. "Sir Ninus, you can begin with coating the arrows with your poison, try to not let them be drenched too much, perhaps you can use some temporary shelter and some water-resistant poisons while coating them, and prepare some medicine if you do not have them now".

"Any questions, gentlemen? Ask them now for we would not have them in combat"

OOCAlright, feel free to answer Ama, ask some questions, and make some plans. I'll get to her response, the journey and the arrival at the battle location in my next reply. :)
Radiant
Sailor Radiant

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Wade on July 21st, 2013, 8:57 pm

Wade blinked rapidly when Ama suddenly changed form, appearing as a naked woman before them. He was a little embarrassed but hid it as well as he could, taking comfort that his cloak and the heavy rain would provide him some cover. He was somewhat used to Kelvics at this point and knew from his encounter with Kalimalka that they had no concept of modesty. The now naked woman appeared almost unreal with her calm demeanor in such a raging storm, especially considering that she was naked. They believed they were just as dangerous and respectable with no clothes in their human form as they were in their animal forms, he figured.

Wade grinned at the use of the word sir when she addressed him. It was a little gesture of unwarranted respect and he felt himself warming up to the Kelvic woman because of it. With her grace, strength, and bearing, he could see why the other hunters regarded her with such deference. He wondered if she had encountered him in the wood at any point as he clumsily chased a rabbit or a deer. The thought was comforting to him.

She spoke to the long-faced and long-limbed skinny man who had rather grandly introduced himself as Ninus Aurellius. Wade thought he was quite strange, though Ama showed him the same respect that she had given him. She called him "The Prince of Rats," a title that meant little to Wade aside from confirming his suspicions that this man was very weird indeed. He introduced himself simply as Wade and tried to keep his tone even, but he did not extend his hand.

The last of their group was a young looking ghost dragging a chest behind him. Wade did not have too much experience with ghosts, but he knew that some did live near Syliras and that some weren't actually that dangerous, as Ama suggested of this one. The ghost looked no older than a mere boy and was perhaps even stranger than Ninus Aurellius.

Wade looked at the drawing of the Yukman that the Kelvic created. It looked like a man but Ama said that they were mindless creatures. If a Kelvic, which was more than half-animal, considered something mindless, then it truly must be. He only wondered how dangerous and smart they would be in combat. They did not seem to bear arms based on the picture but it did not know how accurate that was.

Wade nodded quietly at her orders. He took off his quiver of arrows, he brought a dozen of his arrows with him, and offered it to the skinny man with only a bit of reluctance. He took his bow off of his back as well, figuring that he would have to have it prepared if he was going to get shots off. He could always get rid of it and whip out his battleaxe in time to defend himself if the enemy closed in on him.

Wade realized that when she said they needed to ask their questions now, she would probably be in wolf form and unable to communicate with words for the rest of their journey. "I have no questions, Lady Ama," he said after a moment, feeling that he was clear on what she had said and perfectly willing to follow the experienced warrior's tactics. He glanced around at his companions, an odd group if there ever was one.
Wade
A Youth of Syliras

Character sheet

Postby Shiyami on July 21st, 2013, 9:46 pm

OOCThe gnosis of luminance I presume, comforts the the good and repulsed the evil? If so, than Shiyami would just see a light. He is just as likely to help the knights as he would assist bandits. Boredom makes one try everything :P. however, if that is not the case, or it's wrong, I'll edit my post.

Shiyami took a good look at the two other members he will be working with. The one who called himself the Prince of Rats, his manner of speech was unusual. Making a mental note to talk to him at a later date, Shiyami looked at the one who was introduced as Wade. His gaze tunnel visioned to that battle axe of his. What does one have to do to be able to carry that without straining themselves was beyond Shiyami. However, as the Ama started to talk, he was intrigued by the light from her palms. 'What is that light suppose to do?', was what Shiyami thought as he looked at her palms, while having his head tilted very slightly while pondering. Well, the questions of his mind were unrelated to this job, so he decided against talking, though curiosity did show on his face.

Hearing the plans that Ama had, Shiyami grinned. This job was starting to sound more interesting than before. "Is there anywhere I can leave my box than during this job?", he asked, as he opened the box in question, and looked at the contents. Originally planning to bring his scythe out as usual, but that choice was crossed out for multiple reasons. One, he can not lift that weapon without requiring to open his left eye. Though he would not admit it to anyone else, he was terrified of himself, his other personality. The second reason, is the fact that his scythe was an unusual scythe, having black blades, and the fact that he used this scythe before during his days as Ake Aug. 

Brushing past the scythe, and withdrawing out his hand, with a dagger that was following his hand very closely, to the point where it could be said to be stuck to him. "However, due to personal reasons, I will not be able to fight at full." Shiyami warned the group, and praying that the group doesn't require him to speak the reason.
See if I have given you a nickname here!
Click me please~!
Shiyami
Death's Shadow

Words: 125205
Joined roleplay: July 14th, 2013, 3:29 am
Race: Ghost
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Ninus Aurellius on July 21st, 2013, 10:23 pm

The Prince of Rats

At Ama's praise of the knights, Ninus knew to be careful of how much he revealed about his family. She obviously held the tinned petchers in high regards, and Ninus held them in equally low regard. His family, he knew, would rather run than fight especially where the knights were concerned. Churchkey, his adoptive father, had slain a young knight alone in the woods. Two weeks of knights combing for their lost brother had ensured that not only did the highwaymen never attempt anything of the sort again, they actively avoided them.
Ninus remembered the phrase Freidys, his adoptive mother, used when speaking of the knights. 'If given a choice between a knight and a bear, pick the bear. The bear gives you a swifter death, smells better, and gloats less.', he'd said.

But he hid his apprehension at her question. He smiled. "Every rat that lives and breathes in this wood is my mother, sister, brother and father." he said. "Nay, though they may be smaller than mine city brethren....wise and cunning they are. Ferocious warriors, and one must speak with a gentle tongue to them. Many small bodies can choke a mountain."
It was a half-truth. He'd pledged himself to the rats of the Bronze Wood as well as of Syliras, and truly did consider them brothers.

As if sensing his words, a large rat leapt over a small log and bounded out of the woods toward him. Ninus knelt, allowing the giant rat to scramble up his arm and settle on his shoulder. Ninus gave her a questioning look. She must have fallen a bit behind because of the rain. If the heavy rain was any indication, Churchkey and his band had packed up and headed for water to disguise their scent. Hopefully safe from the Yukmen
All well and good, Ninus supposed. If Cricet, with her excellent nose and superb hearing couldn't find the scent trail of men she knew...then Yukmen might not see his family at all. Better, the dogs of the knights would be properly confused. He sighed and examined the quarrels a moment. The bulbs were intact. Cricet ruffled her fur next to him, trying to shake off the water from the rain.

He pointedly ignored Ama's nakedness. Ninus had no interest in women whatsoever, and while seeing her naked form was an unusual sight it didn't embarrass him in the way it seemed to be embarrassing Wade. He looked up when she asked him to poison Wade's weapons.
"I assure you, my lady, though I am naked of sword or axe I am not without weapons. My army is fleet of foot and long of fang, and would not see me laying in the earth before my time." Ninus reassured her, taking the arrows from Wade with a nod. "Yukmen are born of the earth, and it is the earth to take her children back to her womb." He knew the poison to use.

"Come. I must educate thee in the use, lest thine life be cut short by ignorance." Ninus told Wade. He looked to Ama. "My lady, it shall take but a short time to prepare the poison, and I shall do so with all speed." he said.
He recieved a sharp nip on his ear. Cricet obviously didn't like the idea of going back into the woods. "My lady...please." Ninus told her quietly, and Cricet bared her fangs grumpily. She half slid, half leapt off of his back, making sure to scratch him a bit for her trouble, and bounded off.

Ninus nodded politely to the ghost and the kelvic, and jerked his head to the forest when his eyes landed upon Wade. He needed a tree. A specific tree, that was fairly common for bow wood in the Bronze Wood. He placed his hand on a few trunks, the rain matting down his hair and dripping off of his wooden poison case. When he found the tree he wanted he looked to Wade.

A simple conifer with bright red berries; a yew tree. Ninus knelt and opened his kit, taking a small pair of scissors to a few young branches and gathering some berries. He also took out a small mortar and pestle, and a bottle of oil. The oil would repel the rain, and make sure the poison stayed on the arrows. He settled down on the wet earth, using his pestle to grind the berries and leaves into the oil. "Thou must not touch or taste; death comes upon those who take this ancient man as an ally...with no signs of it. It simply swoops down upon them like an owl upon mice, and spirits life away as quickly. If thy hand touches this oil, or a pricked finger occurs...I cannot save you." Ninus warned Wade as he alternated between grinding the plants and adding the oil.

When he was done, he stripped off a bit of his sleeve and soaked the rag in oil, careful not to touch it. The poisoner picked out the arrows, one by one, and wrapped the heads in pieces of cloth. Only a small portion of the arrowhead was still seen, the wicked points. Ninus settled them back in the quiver and handed it to Wade, pouring the remainder of the oil into a tiny bottle for later use. After a quick rinse in the rain of the mortar and pestle, making sure to shed the oil, Ninus packed his things and rose. "Thou art armed with an ancient ally. Do not disappoint him, fate has a way of punishing the clumsy and foolish." he told Wade, resting his hand on the man's shoulder. "Promise me thy hand will deliver these arrows to the Yukmen and them alone, for the forest's retribution is upon them and no other man this day."
Last edited by Ninus Aurellius on July 30th, 2013, 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ninus Aurellius
The Prince of Rats

Words: 151414
Joined roleplay: June 17th, 2013, 2:44 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Radiant on July 22nd, 2013, 8:25 am

Ama nodded at Wade, acknowledging that he was all clear and ready to go. Men like this were needed in times like these the most, loyal, brave, and did not ask too many unnecessary questions. She was sure Wade would fend well for himself when combat arised. Ama didn't notice nor care about Wade's slight embarrassment at her form, he was a healthy male human and she understood that most male humans seemed to like clothless females, Ama could only wonder why. Wade was graceful enough to not openly mention about it though and Ama respected that.

"Ah I see, the rats are your family, befitting your title indeed, Prince" Ama smiled at him, believing his story, Ninus wasn't really lying after all. Ama just kept her smile and didn't even turn her head to look when a giant rat approached Ninus, she already knew something was scurrying towards their location. How cute... a dire rat... hmmm, so intelligent, perhaps it's a fellow Kelvic? Ama made a thinking expression, but she decided to let it go, what's obvious was this giant rat seemed to be Ninus' second-in-command, his queen in his rat empire.

She nodded when Ninus took Wade's quiver and he excused himself to work on what he do best, poisoncrafting. With Ninus temporarily leaving their presence, Ama turned her attention to the male ghost. "Leave your box near that tree over there" she pointed to a rather large, but concealed tree near the hotsprings.

His tone was softening now, Ama believed her intimidation worked, he didn't seem to react much to her gnosis, but she barely activated it... she would see what if she exploded her powers into a shining beacon of light that would deter even a ghost as powerful as the Bane of the Wolves, how would this male phantom react? Would he scream or... would he be comforted instead? His reactions would tell her of his true nature.

Ama noticed the ghost's box were filled by unusual weapons with black curved blades surrounded by normal steel daggers and the ghost only took a single dagger. "I understand, I will adhere to your wishes as you will be completely safe from the Yukmen's attacks, I would not have to worry for your well-being" Ama kindly nodded to the ghost. Ghosts were fickle creature after all, their reasons for this and that could be absolutely illogical or non-sense by most civilized living being's standards.

When Ninus came back with Wade's quiver and giving it back to him, Ama eyed each of her comrades and noticed they were ready. Ama nodded and her body shone once more, transforming into her dire wolf form. She then gestured for the party to follow her, feets and paws splashing -except the floating ghost- against the ground as the party ventured deep into the Woods.

The Bronze Woods, East of Syliras, Near the Sukina Geysers, 30 Chimes after the 17th of Bell

After the almost three hours journey, Ama suddenly stopped and let out a low growl, ordering the party to stop. Booming thunders and rain slightly blocked by the thick branches above, somewhat easing the raindrops that managed to reach the party. Ama look down to the ground and spotted... footprints, lots of footprints in the shape of humanoid feet. But these feet were not normal, some were freakishly big and some were distorted heavily. Definitely Yukmen...

Due to the rain, Ama couldn't really rely on her sense of smell which made tracking them rather difficult, but the Yukmen were not exactly masters of stealth and discretion so she just followed the trail until... she gestured for everyone to stop and listened closely to the sounds around them.

"Yuk yuk yuk!"

That distinct 'yuk' cry, even a simpleton could know that a group of Yukmen was near.

"Yuk yuk yuk!" "Yuk yuk yuk!" "Yuk yuk yuk!"

The sounds were calling against each other, Ama closed her eyes and listened closely, she then faced the alert group and stroke eight lines on the ground, telling them that there were possibly eight Yukmen up ahead. The group nodded and they proceeded... stealthily.

They finally approached a clearing, a clearing with devastated ground like some violent things were pouring out of them sometime ago and it was clear what those 'things' are. The landspawns, Yukmen, eight of them calling against each other and seemed to be organizing something. Their deformed bodies and sharp irregular teeth, some large, some small, but one was noticeable bigger and smarter than the others, that Yukmean with a body that could rival even Akalaks must be the 'alpha' of this particular pack.

They haven't notice them yet, good. Ama gestured Wade to prepare his longbow and try to shoot the alpha first. Once he took aim with the poisoned arrow, Ama ordered for Shiyami to blink into the middle of the Yukmen and generally cause havok.

*WOSH!* The first arrow were released and the phantoms sprang into action. Ama howled in battle cry and leaped to the fray, charging directly to the alpha Yukmen first, her comrades didn't have the combat experience to handle that one so Ama would have to take care of it first. Snarling and barking like the true wolf she was, Ama fearlessly leaped to the alpha Yukmen and tackled it. They immediately engaged in a wrestling combat combined with punches, slashes, kicks, and bites.

The other Yukmen howled and growled in battle frenzy, four Yukmen nearest to the phantom immediately targeted him. Slashing and biting his ethereal body, they obviously didn't find out he was an intangible phantom... yet.

The other three Yukmen noticed the archer and they propel their deformed, but fast, feet to charge and butcher Wade. Snarling and roaring their distinct 'Yuk yuk' sound, they would arrive at Wade in a matter of a few seconds now.

Ninus seemed to be safe in the backline... until a deformed hand appeared from the ground and grabbed his right foot! This new Yukman was partially buried underground, but was rising and fast. Ninus would need to do something quick lest Cricet would be left to rule the empire on her own.

OOC :
And we're off! Plan your attacks well, you can also roleplay the Yukmen attacking you and your own individual bouts, but remember to not overplay your skills. Use every skills, wit, terrain, weather, and resources you got to defeat these abominations! :angry:

Wade, you can decide on whether the arrow hits or not, but be sure to explain well on why or why not the arrow hits that particular body part. You also got three targets focusing on you. ;)

Shiyami, just go wild! The Yukmen would foolishly try to attack you and phase through your body and ended up hurting each other, but they would realize it soon and target your comrades instead, so finish them quick!

Ninus, think fast, my Prince!
Radiant
Sailor Radiant

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Wade on July 22nd, 2013, 10:49 pm

Wade went down on one knee and sighted his arrow at the one the Kelvic White Wolf indicated. It was like the others in that looked like a man, albeit with odd rocks, dirt, and soil sticking out of really weird places. However, this one was absolutely huge and probably possessed terrifying strength. Wade didn't really want to end up toe to toe with this one even if he was armed with his battleaxe and it with only its massive arms.

The shot wasn't terribly long distance and the Yukman was much larger than the rabbits and even the deer that Wade was usually trying to shoot down. Still, the extra pressure caused his hand to shake a little as he drew his bowstring back as far as he could. He aimed for the left side of the Yukman's chest in hopes that it might have a heart there just like a normal man. He stood for a second and tried to steady his hand.

Wade's hand released the arrow and it took off. It whistled across the distance but dipped lower than Wade had planned. It buried itself in the lower half of the huge Yukman's abdomen. Wade cursed and put another arrow to the string as quickly as possible, sighting and drawing back in a hurry.

Wade's focus was interrupted by white fur as the great White Wolf leapt between him and his target. Too late to stop his hand from letting go, Wade yelped and managed to turn his bow at the last moment so that the arrow flew harmlessly wide. It disappeared into the trees and the rain.

Wade picked another arrow out of his quiver as he considered his next course of action. Ama had told him that he should fight beside her on the front line but he did not know if Ninus would be able to handle himself if some of the Yukmen came for him. He saw several Yukmen attacking the ghost member of their party and turned to take a shot at them.

He took aim, once again seeking to plant his arrow in the left side of one of their chests in hopes of finding a heart.

"Yuk yuk!"

Wade nearly jumped out of his skin and spun rapidly to face the sound. Three Yukmen were closing in on him rapidly. Wade released an arrow far faster than he could control and it flew high of its mark. He grabbed another arrow and forced himself, painfully, to slow down and aim his shot well at the one closest to him. He knelt for a half-second longer than he wanted to and released.

The arrow flew forward and thudded into the thing's left shoulder just a few inches high of the mark. It staggered for a moment but resumed its furious charge. Its two brethren roughly shouldered it behind them, however, and it was forced to take up the back of the charge. If Ninus's poison affected the thing it was not showing it in the least bit.

Wade leapt to his feet and threw his bow to the side out of harm's way. He ripped his battleaxe out of his belt and swung it in a menacing, wide arc meant to give the Yukmen pause and himself a few moments to steady himself.

The Yukmen did not even give the battleaxe a glance but instead came at him with fury. There was no fear in their eyes and their odd, stretching maws continued to bray that weird "Yuk!" over and over. Their odd gait did not even pause as they came into reach of Wade's battleaxe as if they planned to just charge him down.

Wade was not about to be charged down by two unarmed, deformed men while he had his battleaxe in hand. The left one reached him before the right so he turned to that one first, hefting the battleaxe above his head and swinging it downward with as much of his strength and weight behind it as he could. The Yukman had the presence of mind to raise its arms to block the blow but the battleaxe bit deeply into the arms. They were not made of metal. Curiously enough, several rocks went flying out of the arm at the site of the strike.

Wade wrenched his axe free as the Yukman stumbled backwards, arms falling to its sides. Unable to let himself allow the moment to pass, Wade hefted his battleaxe and went for the head with another vicious chop from above, this one aimed at the Yukman's face. A pleasant shock went up Wade's arms as his axe tore off half the Yukman's face. It feel back and Wade smiled at his victory for just a moment, the adrenaline pumping through all of his veins.

Wade's face shifted from near-gloating to wrenched up in pain in one second as a second Yukman struck him in the back with its rock-studded arms. He stumbled forward, his head thrown back, and darkness ate away at his vision. He slipped on a loose rock, maybe one of those that had fallen from the first Yukman, and fell to one knee.

He cursed himself for his tunnel vision, attributing it to his only combat experience being sparring with his sister. He heard a whoosh behind him and he ducked to the side as quickly as possible. The arms of the Yukman clipped his right shoulder as he tried to dodge away and he almost felt his grip on his battleaxe give way.

Wade forced himself to tighten his grip on it, grabbed it with his other hand, and then rose while simultaneously sending his battleaxe upward in the direction of the last blow. His axe thudded into the right side of the Yukman just above his leg.

The Yukman staggered backwards and Wade wrenched his axe free even as he steadied himself. The Yukman momentarily paused and gave Wade a moment to look about for the last of their trio; the one that he had managed to land a shot on. He was determined not to make the same mistake twice and avoid another blow to the back, knowing that the next one might do the job.

Wade couldn't see it at first but managed to finally spot it crumpled on the ground next to its brother. Apparently Ninus's poison had done the job where his arrow had not. He shuddered to think what would have happened if he had released his arrow just a split second earlier when Ama leapt between him and the massive Yukman. He feared that the apparently powerful poison might have toppled the great Kelvic.

Now that he was alone with the unarmed Yukman he had no trouble fighting it, even with his back and shoulder aching from its blows. He sent his axe in powerfully with each swing and it all but ignored the Yukman's attempts to block it. The Yukman would throw its arms up and Wade would gladly take a chunk out of them.

Finally, the Yukman's arms were too slow and Wade's battleaxe planted itself in the side of the creature's head. The Yukman fell to the ground beside its two brethren. Wade stood alone, feeling less victorious than before but thankful that he was not lying on the ground with them after his close call.

Wade turned and looked to his allies to see if any were in need of his battleaxe. Though he was already weary, he sought anything to distract him from the throbbing in his back and shoulder.
Wade
A Youth of Syliras

Character sheet

Next