Icemaidens

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Icemaidens

Postby Spirit Frostfawn on July 22nd, 2013, 5:18 pm

This is a question that has kind of been poking at my mind for a while. In Vantha culture, a girl not married by 20 (I think) is considered an 'Icemaiden'. What exactly does this mean? Is it good? Bad? I have no clue...

Of course, if theres actually information on this somewhere in the lore, and I'm just showing my usual skills of terrible searching... just ignore this please... :)

Spirit Frostfawn
Whistle with the Birds

Words: 302388
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2013, 11:53 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Icemaidens

Postby Lullaby on July 22nd, 2013, 5:52 pm

From my understanding, I believe that the term signifies more the woman was not found a suitable match, and society had kind of "given up" on searching for a husband for her. While it is not necessarily a derogatory term, it's a delicate topic since it could mean various things - but shows a girl that hasn't gone with Vantha "normality". The term itself helps explain, as I think of a maiden frozen in ice (time), though it could also be perceived as a cold woman or unyielding. It really is quite up to interpretation, isn't it? It is not a term women generally aim for, nor is it something to be completely ashamed of. I think of it as a nickname given to those single over the age of twenty, pestering them To settle down.

This is just from what I've kind of understood from having a Vantha PC, so consider it more of an opinion xD

Lullaby
Sweet song, sweet dreams

Words: 104298
Joined roleplay: July 5th, 2013, 4:01 pm
Race: Staff account
Office

Icemaidens

Postby Gossamer on July 22nd, 2013, 5:57 pm

Think "Old Maid".
Gossamer

BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideRiverfallSyka
Special ProjectsSykafall Coordination
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 5945246
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Icemaidens

Postby Spirit Frostfawn on July 22nd, 2013, 6:00 pm

Hm, ok. That makes sense... XD

Thanks a lot!!

Spirit Frostfawn
Whistle with the Birds

Words: 302388
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2013, 11:53 pm