Off to Meet the Wizard (Mirage, please)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

An undead citadel created before the cataclysm, Sahova is devoted to all kinds of magical research. The living may visit the island, if they are willing to obey its rules. [Lore]

Postby Thomas Cosa on August 3rd, 2013, 8:48 pm

45th of Summer, 512

"Master Apprentice."

Thomas sighed, turning around from his work. A small mechanical golem, much or less of the same size and design of a follower; although, the animator couldn't help but notice the more obvious differences.

It was more rounded than any follower he had seen before, in fact, the entire golem seemed to be a reflective sphere; aside from several dots patterned over the golem, it was perfect.

"Master Apprentice."

The golem repeated itself, skirting around the desk to face the pulser.

"Master Apprentice. The masters Kromby and Filch request your presence. Immediately."

Thomas stood up, allowing the small golem to spiral around him before speeding off to the masters' desks.

"Master Cosa," Filch acknowledged his presence with a short nod, "The Archwizard has asked for you in his chambers. Please go, immediately.

The Archwizard? Thomas echoed, not entirely sure he heard right.

"The Archwizard," Kromby repeated, "You should go. Now."

Thomas nodded, walking back to his desk, Stranger leading the way to the Archwizard's chambers.

Last edited by Thomas Cosa on August 7th, 2013, 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thomas Cosa
What if no one could stop you?

Thomas Cosa
bratty mageling

Words: 385707
Joined roleplay: October 20th, 2012, 9:33 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Mirage on August 6th, 2013, 8:15 pm

Stranger lead Thomas from the Caverns, twisting and turning down passages, up ramps and through hidden doors until they finally surfaced in the Gug Andjak. Rolling to the nearest ramp Stranger then headed up, and up, and up, all the way to the very top of the building, floor number one. The very top floor of the Gug Andjak was unlike any of the other floors. There was one long hallway leading from the ramp that lead to a single door on the left. Here Stranger claimed was there destination, and Thomas would find himself staring at a pair of iron double doors.

The doors would open on their own, gliding on well oiled hinges to reveal a room which took up the entirety of the first floor. In place of common labs, lecture halls and private labs there was a singular large room. Long tables were lined in the center, gadgets and contraptions piled there half haphazardly. Half complete golems of every design Thomas had ever seen, and even a few he had never seen before. One in particular sat against a table leg, and it was the most intricately designed and life like humanoid golem in all of Sahova. Its thousands of tiny facial parts looked like they would allow a large range of facial expressions, and its eyes were large emeralds. Shelves lined all of the walls, floor to ceilings. Animation circles covered nearly every inch of floor space, some permanently worked into the floor, and others hastily drawn on in chalk. Circles even dotted the ceiling, some corresponding with circles on the floor, and their purposes completely unknown.

"Ah Thomas Cosa, welcome welcome. Do come in." The voice came from the left, and as he looked the doors would close behind Thomas. A man sat behind a large oak desk. His body was older than the average nuits, and a long grey beard fell down to his lap. The desk was covered in papers, as well as a tiny ball shaped golem that rolled around absently. Mashaen waved to the chair before his desk, inviting Thomas to come closer.

Mirage
Truth is never certain

Words: 1231300
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2012, 8:47 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)

Postby Thomas Cosa on August 8th, 2013, 2:46 am

Thomas had barely the wits about him to pay attention as Stranger lead him to the upper levels of the caverns, the pulser turning introspective as the follower lead him to the Archwizard; it was only as they passed the first window did Thomas realize they had left the underground of Sahova.

Sunlight cascaded over the marbled floor, briefly stunning the pulser. Thomas could certainly count the number of times he had seen sunlight over the last couple of seasons on one hand, and despite the magelight that lite the caverns was bright for those in Lab 15 to work comfortably, only an idiot would believe them a complete substitute for Syna.

Distracted from Stranger, Thomas walked over to the crystalline window, marveling at the view. Sparse brush decorated the coastline of the isle, the still deep blue waters of the Sebakem Ocean shining in contrast to the greying Sahova skies. The dry, chaparral landscape gave the island an almost alien beauty.

"Thomas Cosa! Thomas Cosa! Follow please!" Stranger beeped, spinning around the master apprentice in an attempt to recapture his attentions. "Please follow!"

Thomas sighed, walking after the follower golem, stealing glances outside as the duo made their way up the various levels of the Gug Andjak.

Eventually, they reached the topmost floor of the Gug Andjak -- and instead of the typical layout, as he seen in the previous levels, this floor solely consisted of a single, long hallway. the golem led the mage to a pair of iron doors; hardly the most impressive Thomas had seen in his short career on the undead isle, and definitely not what he had expected for the Archwizard of Sahova.

"Destination reached, Thomas Cosa," Stranger beeped, wheeling itself into the room as the doors opened, the mage following suit.

The room took up what Thomas guessed to be the entire floor; and although it would never compare to the size of the cavern labs, there were things here he would never hope to see below the Citadel.

Half finished automatons and golems decorated the tops of tables that lined the center of the room, various gadgets sat idle amongst the ordered chaos. Some of the animation circles seemed permanetly eched into the marble, other hastily drawn with chalk. There were too many golems for Thomas to take a count for, however, one in particular caught the animator's eye.

Propped up against one of the many tables, Thomas saw the most intricate golem he had ever seen in his life -- thousands, perhaps even millions of gears formed a variety of facial features, giving the golem an almost complete humanoid appearance; perhaps even enabling a variety of perfectly mimcked facial expressions.

"Ah Thomas Cosa, welcome welcome. Do come in."

Thomas turned around immediately, surprised at how easily Mashaen fell into the sterotypical wizard. A long blanket of a beard covered the front of the nuit -- Mashaen wore a much older body then was the norm of those in Sahova, or at least, those Thomas noticed.

"Archwizard Mashaen," Thomas nodded, thumbs fidgeting nervously behind his back. Here he was, in front of arguable the most important figure in modern animation post-valterrian, and perhaps even still pre-valterrian. "FIlch and Kromby said you asked for me?" he said, trying to keep himself composed and professional -- Mashaen was the main reason he had come to Sahova, and he would be damned if he embarrassed himself now that he was finally meeting him.

Thomas Cosa

Thomas Cosa
bratty mageling

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Mirage on August 13th, 2013, 7:03 am

Mashaen smiled and chuckled, "Ah, yes I did send for you, you are quiet right. Sit my boy sit so that we might talk." He waved to the chair once more. Steepling his fingers, the Archwizard would wait for Thomas to sit before continuing, "I have heard much of your exploits of late, several known and other... unknown to even the Masters of your lab." He would raise a hand to stop any words Thomas might speak, "How I know of these adventures of yours need not be discussed, and neither should you worry about your Master's discovering some of your recent exploits. I have kept an eye on you for some time Thomas Cosa, and you have intrigued me greatly."

Snapping his fingers, Mashaen leaned down behind his desk. Stranger reacted instantly, rolling around to the Wizards outstretched hand. Picking up the Follower golem, Mashaen set it upon the desk, a finger running along the gems that were placed so carefully in their holsters, "I take it you have found my little friend here useful? He was always one of my favorites. Good company as well." He stroked the golem as another might a favored pet, but his eyes sought out Thomas'. His eyes were old, weighed heavily by a life filled with pain, and experience. Knowledge pulled at expression, filled his aura and accented his every word. This was a man who had seen, and done, a lot in his time. This was a man with many secrets, knowledge long since lost to the world, and now he had taken an interest in Thomas. For now it looked as if he were making pleasant conversation, but surely there had to be more to it than that.

Mirage
Truth is never certain

Office

Postby Thomas Cosa on August 17th, 2013, 7:54 pm

Thomas nodded, moving quickly to the chair opposite the Archwizard.

"Oh, uh --," he stuttered, greatful to see Mashaen stop him from trying to explain himself. It hadn't exactly shocked him to discover the Archwizard knew of everything he had been up to of late -- Thomas guessed more than half of the golems were of his design; and, he supposed the witness golems would be reporting to someone, and given their design it wouldn't be hard to hide them in the many bricks and stones that layered the Citadel.

Still, it may not have been a shock, but it surprised him nonetheless. A pleasant surprise, though, considering it had earned him the Archwizard's attentions.

The immediate snap caught him from his own thoughts, and apparently, caught Stranger's attentions as well. Thomas watched, stunned, as the follower golem obediently reacted to the noise, wheeling over to the Archwizard. Mashaen picked the golem up gently, like a child.

"Yes, uh, sir. He's been wonderful company," he agreed, his tone could perhaps be considered possessive. Seeing the Archwizard so easily command Stranger worried the pulser; Thomas had been convinced he had been the first to animate the follower, even when he knew Mashaen had built him -- had Mashaen added some directives before giving the golem to Thomas?

What else was Stranger directed to do?

Thomas was tempted to search the Archwizard's chavi, if only to see how much he had interacted with the golem before Thomas had animated him. It was only the reminder that the Archwizard had thus far shown he knew things Thomas thought secret, that kept the seer from trying anything.

"Might I know the reason for my summons?" He asked as politely as he could manage. Thomas was ballsy enough to risk being bold in front of Mashean, but not enough to be blunt or rude.

Thomas Cosa

Thomas Cosa
bratty mageling

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Mirage on August 18th, 2013, 1:41 am

"Directly to the point I see." Mashaen leaned down and set Stranger back on the floor, letting him return to his master, "You would do well to learn to humor Wizards in their banter and idle chatter. They do so love their political debates. Best to learn to play their game as well as they do." He chuckled.

Steepling his fingers the Archwizard looked past Thomas, seeming to be in thought, but before long he broke the silence,
"I have called you here because I have a task for you to accomplish. One that I believe you will be well suited to." He paused for a moment, and then continued, "I will be sending you to Ravok as a representative of Sahova," He looked at Thomas in the eye, "And myself."

He would allow Thomas a moment to let the information sink in before continuing, "You will be accompanied by Farke as well, and together you both will be tasked to create a link between our two cities. Establish a trade with them if you can, and present them an offering from Sahova as incentive to consider other possible partnerships in the future."

Mashaen would sit back in his chair, folding his hands in his lap as he waited for Thomas' response to the sudden news.
Mirage
Truth is never certain

Office

Postby Thomas Cosa on August 20th, 2013, 7:19 pm

Thomas nodded, face reddened by shame at his own impatience. Had he really learned so little? Boldness would win him no admiration, least of all from the Archwizard. Subtle persuasion and polite conversation were the only things needed in interwizard relations; that and patience. Lots of patience.

"Ravok," Thomas parroted, desperate to keep his own face clean of disappointment. Despite him trying to wipe himself clean of his Syliran upbringing, somethings died hard -- for example, stereotypes and judgements of Rhysol's city. Pain. Chaos. Hate. Evil.

Not the ideal vacation spot.

"I would be delighted," he managed a small smile, "It would be an honor to represent you and Sahova before all of Ravok," he paused, considering his next words carefully. "I will do my very best to open trade between our two cities, and to encourage a more positive relationship between the two...although," he swallowed, hoping and praying to Avalis that Mashaen wouldn't see this as a slight, "I am native to Syliras, and perhaps my own intimate knowledge of that city in particular would be helpful there, perhaps, more useful than my knowledge of Ravok."

He kept smiling, politely, satisfied with his answer. He would be more useful to Sahova, especially in a city he had grown up in, and far more comfortable in Syliras than Ravok.

Thomas Cosa

Thomas Cosa
bratty mageling

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Mirage on August 20th, 2013, 7:50 pm

Mashaen raised an eyebrow, "Syliras you say?" He looked thoughtful for a moment, "I think not."

He waved a hand, "Syliras is a very... difficult city with which to establish negotiations. It will require a level of tact and political experience which you have not yet obtained." He waved in Thomas' general direction, "Your skills are much better suited for the task I have given you. Lines of trust have already been established with Ravok, unlike with Syliras, and what we do now is to show and demonstrate what we might offer them. Our golems need proper presentation, and I can think of no other but Lab 15's Master Apprentice to take on such a task." He chuckled and his hands stilled once more, "That, and both Master Kromby and Master Filch declined my offer to allow them to go in my stead."

Mashaen stroked his beard as he looked Thomas up and down, "However, this is merely an offer, and one you may freely decline. I wish for you to go to Ravok, but another may be found to take your place." Somehow the way he said those words gave them a sound of finality. Refuse this offer, and doors might close forever.

Mirage
Truth is never certain

Office

Postby Thomas Cosa on August 20th, 2013, 8:45 pm

Thomas listened quietly to Mashaen, nodding politely at the appropriate marks; the pulser desperately wanted to remain on the Archwizard's good side, and being an active listener would only promote a foundation for a professional relationship -- or at least, so he reasoned.

He supposed Syliras would make for a difficult sell; the knights were the few in the city allowed to practice magic and even that was a rarity -- on the whole, Syliras itself had never encouraged it's citizens involvement in the finer arts. Thomas could remember that; it did surprise him to hear that Ravok and Sahova had prior business, and the pulser could only suppose that meant the chaotic to be more magic friendly.

"You're right, of course," he smiled wider, trying to keep his expression in good spirits. "I only wished to try and make myself as useful as possible," Thomas added thoughtfully. It had bothered him, only slightly, that the Masters Kromby and Filch had been asked before him -- it made sense, obviously, but even still, Thomas had a fragile ego.

"I would never refuse such an offer, Archwizard. I will do everything in my power to make you, and Sahova proud," he was careful to put the 'you', in reference to Mashaen before Sahova -- he was hoping to show the Archwizard his own willing allegiance to him and the CItadel, but more so, his willingness to serve him.

Thomas Cosa

Thomas Cosa
bratty mageling

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Mirage on September 14th, 2013, 10:53 pm

Mashaen smiled, "Of course you wouldn't my boy, and that is why I have chosen you to represent me on this journey. Your voice will be my voice, your words will carry the weight of my authority... Well not your word alone of course. Master Farke will aid you on this mission and see to your education of how to act and to present yourself." He lifted the orb golem from his desk, raising it to eye level to examine its smooth surface as he continued, "Though... before we send you off to an unknown city, we will see to it that you are properly equipped in every way." From the way he said 'we' he clearly meant 'I'.

The Archwizard looked at Thomas for a moment, in thought as he seemed to be struggling to come to a final decision, but the one side won out and he set the golem back on the desk, flicking it with a finger so that it rolled before Thomas,
"The greatest power in this world, Thomas Cosa, is knowledge. Ancient knowledge resides here in Sahova, knowledge lost to the world and we now stand as the sole holders of the secrets of the past. That makes us powerful, and it makes others fear and respect our authority." The golem rolled to a stop before Thomas, tiny feet projecting out on either side to halt it as a crease appeared on its surface, opening wide to reveal it was hollow inside. From it glowed a soft green jewel, "If you are to properly represent that power and authority, then you as well must hold some small part of that knowledge as your own."

Mashaen stood, walking around his desk and past Thomas. He did not wait to see if Thomas accepted the gem, for he knew that he would, and he did not bother to see if the boy would follow, for the boy would. Past the tables and animations, to the very back of the room until they stopped before a table, completely barren but for a single lifeless golem that sat on a pedestal. It looked a lot like a metal centipede, but its design was sleeker. Thousands of hooked legs were folded beneath its log body, and its rounded head had slots very similar to strangers, as if they were made to hold gems as well. Two long wire antennae stretched back along the length of its body, thin and seemed to form to the curvatures of the golem as it moved. Any harsh edges were shorn away, obviously by magic, to the point that it looked perfectly smooth save for the lines that separated each segment. Running his hand over the golems' body, the Archwizard looked back at Thomas, "The gem was a tool to be used on your journey, where as this is a personal gift from me. For your efforts to this point I give you this, an alternate body to the golem you call Stranger. This was in fact his original design, that I created many ages ago. It is your choice whether or not you wish to accept it, but I will say that where you you go you may find this one very useful. We can simply transfer all of Strangers being from his current body, to his original design. What do you say?"

[/color]
Mirage
Truth is never certain

Office

Next