Solo [Fighter's pit]Getting my fill another way

not enough challengers to fight unarmed, time to make a switch.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Fighter's pit]Getting my fill another way

Postby Kreig Messer on August 7th, 2013, 6:28 am

Summer 513th, 77th of summer.

Kreig was at the pits today, to say he was bored out of his mind was a bit of an undestarement. As repute of him fighting with Raz and at least putting up a descent fight, even getting a good blow in, was now common knowledge amongst the pit goers. Some were interested in giving him matches.... some just kept away from him however, the fact he could keep up with the Myrian in hand to hand discouraged them from attempting so. Kreig didn't pay much to those whom refused a battle with him or didn't challenge him in return.

The problem came from those who did challenge him; They simply weren't challenging in a one on one fight and thise who did and managed to defeat only increased his reputation more, and he had the feeling that if he took on more than one opponent... and perhaps won, that he'd have even less challengers. No, anything more than a spar and they'd just deny him....

which is why Kreig decided to take one of the blunt edged weapons hanging from the racks 'They know me as a brawler, not a swordsman.... perhaps they'll let their apprehension for a fight drop' Kreig hoped, despite his modest improvement his skill with the weapon it didn't reached the same level as knights who graduated from squirehood.

His hand ran against the blunt edge of the sword as he leaned against a wall, noting that the blade was obviously never meant to kill as even its tip was squared off. However, that didn't mean it could not kill....even blunt weaponry were lethal, they could bruise and cause concussions at the lightest, but at worst they could break bones, cause internal bleeding and even the blunted tip could still stab if enough force was applied or the target was soft enough.

It was odd really, he supposed his history of using many things as impromptu weaponry caused him to see the same in things whose status as weapons should have been taken away. It reminded him of the more mundane items in life and of how they could be weaponized as well; Sand or dirt could be thrown at someones face or eyes, blinding them and stunning them to get a free and likeky devestating hit in 'Petch, even if they block it with their arm I could probably get a hit in, not like they'll see me in the tick they block the dust' There was also wine bottles and chair legs, both could be used as clubs, gods know he'd seen that back in Sunberth, and if the wine bottle did break you’d still have a weapon which would become more lethal. Even utensils such as forks or spoons could kill, just aim for the eyes or the neck and someone will have a very bad day.

He sighed as he recalled all that, closing his eyes and shaking his head. He then realized that because most in Syliras aren't Sunberth scum, he would feel guilt if he ever fought like a brawler should... and was sadden because he felt like he was constantly holding and he'd have to hold back even more if he just wanted a spar, he and Raz couldn't unleash against each other full force as well because they were friends; they weren't willing to break others bones and end the others life as a warrior.

He sighed as he pushed himself away from the wall, standing up straight and switching his sword grip to a backhanded one. He hoped he'd find someone whom he could battle, even if it was with a weapon he hadn’t trained nearly enough in its use ‘I suppose I’d have to mix in a bit of my brawling’ he chuckled, however if anyone had fought as long as Kreig had they’d only need the combat experience rather than the brawling skill.

It was then he saw the two people he hoped he’d not deal with, but oh so wanted to punch their faces in; Yargul and Ceryl. These two were the bane of rookies and novices everywhere, they were hecklers that didn’t mind throwing insults or taunting Squires and Novices who’ve just barely begun…. Often invoking the wrath of said squires and novices, who try to get petty payback from the duo, only to be given a rude awakening from the duo. Truth of the matter is; Yargul and Ceryl are skilled swordsman in their own right, oh certainly not masters or experts in the craft, but skilled enough that a new knight would be caught off guard if they ever challenged one of them to a battle with just a sword.

Yargul was the short, bald and fat one while Ceryl was the tall, thin and dumb one. They were the fighter’s pits, heckling was actually their second agenda as for most of the time they were here they actually trained diligently, which brings to mind a few sayings that dictate that appearances are deceiving… well except in Ceryl’s case, competent in a fight as he is….he’s just as dumb as he looks. Yargul was definitely the brains, however, and Ceryl tended to follow him around like a pup, a tall freakish looking pup.

Kreig sighed as he realized that the duo were his most likely partners for the day. As he made his way to them, Yargul quickly took notice of the brawler and he stiffened…. He knew well enough that Kreig was a skilled fighter and that even with a sword he’d likely be unable to beat him if the brawler fought bare, that was then he noticed the odd grip he used to hold the sword, in his eyes it looked sloppy and even to the fat bastard who was known for his rotund appearance and his tendency to drink a copious amount of alcohol it was undisciplined, which caused his eyes to furrow in confusion. Ceryl stopped heckling the current group they were annoying with their bad jokes as he noted the silence of his partner, turning to him to inquire the reason for it only to see Kreig himself. This caused him to tilt his head in confusion wondering what was to happen now.

x
Last edited by Kreig Messer on August 12th, 2013, 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

"You gents best be careful, I'm feelin' mighty rabid right now... and your the only ones around to bite"
Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Words: 883597
Joined roleplay: January 22nd, 2012, 7:55 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Getting my fill another way

Postby Kreig Messer on August 9th, 2013, 6:40 am

What do you want, eh?” Asked Ceryl in a rude tone, earning him an elbow to the gut from Yargul.

Er… what my friend here means is how can we help someone like you dear squire…Messer, was it?” Yargul said in a tone that sounded like a nervous servant trying to appease a savage master. Kreig chuckled internally as he hefted the blunt blade against his shoulder, his free hand pointing at it with a wry grin.

“Oh, I was hoping that you two would be interested in a little fight”

Yargul stiffened as he heard this and even Ceryl was slightly taken aback. They knew Kreig as both a powerful brawler and as a squire of the order, they weren’t quite sure if his skills as a brawler also translated to the skills that was required of all squires to master. Still, Yargul did note the sloppy way the brawler held the longsword, how inadequate it was and that compared to his tall friend besides him, Ceryl would have been considered a master. His brows furrowed as he contemplated the possibility… Yargul knew that just because the squire could be a terrible swordsman or simply a novice that didn’t mean he was a terrible fighter.

Kreig also picked up on this fact as he grinned, noting that perhaps he needed to sweeten the deal before Yargul decided to say no on behalf of himself and Ceryl “If you guys win, I’ll buy you rounds” Ceryl was about to pipe in but a timely elbow strike to the gut from Yargul shut him up.

And uh…. What do you get if you win?

Kreig chuckled as he shook his “All I want is a fight, win or lose I get what I want. If you guys win you get both free drinks and bragging rights, petch I’ll even buy a round if you lose. We all get something out of this… a win-win situation for all parties involved” Though Kreig did note that he’d be losing Mizas, it was much more preferred then a spar or a fight with wooden blades…. Here there would be risks and Kreig always learned better when there was risk involved.

Yargul began contemplating this for a moment, if there was one way to his heart it was definitely through his beer guzzling stomach. They were essentially being bribed for a fight, bragging rights didn’t hurt either… beating the squire who fought on near-even ground with the savage Myrain Razkar certainly had a nice ring to it. Still, Yargul didn’t much care much for a fight where he didn’t know his opponents full capabilities

Sure, We’ll accept your challenge. In fact, Ceryl here will be glad to fight you first!” Ceryl looked eager, too dumb to realize what his friend was using him for. Yup, if there was one way to see what Kreig could do with a sword, it was have his good and loyal friend take a shot at him first…. Not like anyone was going to die.

Ceryl, as happy as a dumb mutt, nodded his head in excitement, when free drinks were to be rewarded at the end how could he not be? Kreig simply grinned as he motioned for Ceryl to follow him into a more spacious part of the courtyard, Yargul of course following behind. Once they had reached a proper spot, both Kreig and Ceryl then took a set distance apart as each looked each other over.

Kreig noted Ceryl’s height…. Petch the man was taller than Kreig, perhaps by a few inches. He was much thinner than his friend Yargul, not thin as a stick but one would think he’d need more to eat ‘Appearances are deceiving though’ Kreig held his blade with his right, it was only slightly raised and couldn’t really be considered a stance, still his hold on its grip was proper albeit sloppy. He stood sideways, his head turning to look at Ceryl. This stance made Kreig a smaller target although it was more suited for a sword and shield style, but Kreig only had the sword aspect and lacked a shield.

Ceryl on the other hand, took a more basic and traditional, the first that Kreig himself learned. He held the blade with two hands, its tip pointed at Kreig. His stance was lowered as one foot was planted back while the other was forward and crouched. Ceryl’s stance was quite basic as it translated to many other forms of combat…. But as a two-handed style it translated to more power behind each blow.

Yargul was just watching, waiting for the long moment to end just so the two petchers would get on to the fighting. He got his wish when the first move was thrown, Ceryl was the first to attack, stepping forward to deliver a horizontal swing from left to right. Kreig lifted his blade, the flat of it blocking the attack, his left hand pressed against the other side to reinforce the defense, shoulder leaning in. Kreig then rushed forward to push Ceryl away with his left shoulder, hoping to push Ceryl off balance. It was not to be however as Ceryl quickly regained that balance, Kreig tried to make up for it as he spun, attempting to use the momentum of the spin to increase the strength of the attack.

Ceryl however blocked at it easy enough, but jumped back once Kreig launched his left hand forward in an open palm. A silent moment lasted, and with Yargul began to process what he saw…. Ceryl was barely competent with the blade, but he was capable and both he and Yargul himself fought enough petchers who underestimated them to have , and of course each other, to gain an insight on how others fight. Kreig’s own manner of fighting was perhaps….. unorthodox, he had a sloppy grip and rough movements, but they were backed by experience. Not sword experience, no this experience was combat in general…years of it. The question remains…. Will his experience of battle help him claim victory?

x
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

"You gents best be careful, I'm feelin' mighty rabid right now... and your the only ones around to bite"
Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Postby Kreig Messer on August 12th, 2013, 8:27 am

Kreig was impressed by Ceryl, that he had to admit… despite the tall man’s lack of intelligence, he had a combat instinct Kreig thought he’d rarely find amongst the local civilian populace of Syliras. He supposed Ceryl fought more than his share amount of fights to develop such an instinct…. Though he doubted he fought any battles to the death. The problem with such fights is that you never intend to kill; oh you can relay intent to harm, to injure, but never intent to kill. Most who fight for sport or self-defense training rarely encounter such thing, it was a psychological offense as well as a defensive one. Anyone not used to it had a seed of fear imbedded into them, the fear of death…

Kreig tried to instill that into Ceryl, at first with a sadistic smile and a hungry look in his eyes, but that didn’t seem to take, either Ceryl was too dumb to notice or Kreig was simply not good at conveying such emotions. So without delaying, he went for another route, instill that fear through action…. Tightening the grip on his blunt sword, he circled around Ceryl, who adjusted himself accordingly to Kreig’s movements.

Yargul just rolled his eyes, waiting for one of the two to make a move already. He got his wish when Kreig stepped forward and swung his blade upwards, his grip adjusted to a backwards one. Ceryl reacted by moving to the right and evade the obvious, where Kreig quickly had his own right foot extended in a deep low kick, causing Ceryl to fall on his back. But Ceryl wasn’t on it for long as he rolled to the side and stood back up. Only to be immediately put on the defensive as Kreig swung overhead repeatedly, with Ceryl blocking with the flat of his blade. Kreig was trying to intimate him, trying to let Ceryl feel his determination, his desire to win…and to kill.

Ceryl could certainly feel the determination….. and the recklessness behind each blow, such repeated attacks with a one handed grip were weak, two handed they would stand a much better chance at forcing him to his knees, still they were repeated blows….eventually he would have to fall. Ceryl only needed to wait and time things carefully, as soon as he could predict the next blow he could knock it away and have a decisive opening.

That moment came as Kreig’s own sword connected with Ceryl’s, Kreig’s blade knocked away and leaving himself open. Ceryl was about to strike a decive blow with an overhead strike, ready to claim victory …. Only to have Kreig’s outstretched left hand grab him by the shirt and pulled him in face to face. His gaze looking deep into Kreig’s own savage eyes, the grin on his face extending from to ear and Ceryl couldn’t help but feel that twinge of fear that Kreig wanted to implant. Kreig was disappointed that it came too late to be of any use as he kneed Ceryl in the abdomen, knocking the wind out of him and letting him drop to ground. The blunt blade dropping to the floor and emitting a loud thud as it hit the ground.

Kreig tsked in disappointment as he hefted the base of the blade against his shoulder and reached into his pockets, pulling a couple of gold rimmed Mizas and stuck it into Yarguls hands as he made his way to him..

“A deal is a deal” Kreig said in a frustrated tone, he didn’t have enough time to savor the fight. As he was about to leave, he saw Ser Wade waiting for him…in civilian attire no less. Kreig groaned internally as he wondered what the Senior Knight wanted from the brawler.

“Greetings, Ser Wade”

Greetings Kreig, I see you didn’t enjoy your fight?

Kreig only sighed as he felt a bit embarrassed that the knight had saw one of his fights “I admit my opponent had admirable skill with the blade…. But otherwise he was simply no true challenge in a battle” He saw no point in lying to the man, Kreig was a horrible liar and Ser Wade saw the fight anyway so there was no point in it.

Ser Wade simply nodded in understanding, Kreig didn’t assume that the Knight’s gesture of understanding was to his lust for battle, although with Ser Wade’s measure of skill Kreig did imagine he had few training partners , with one of them being one of the Order’s weaponmaster, and as such had few worthy opponents

“[/b]Well Kreig, if you have the time, I’d like you to meet me back at the training grounds…. Borrow some leather armor from the armory, I believe I have something that could be of use for you[/b]” And with that Ser Wade left ahead, leaving a brawler wondering what Ser had that could be of use to him. With a sigh and a small shake of his head, he left the pit to make his way to the grounds.

‘I’ve got nothing else to do. May as well go see what he wants’

x
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal

Postby Perplexity on September 1st, 2013, 2:57 pm

Riddled With Rewards
Kreig Messer

Experience
Skill XP Earned
Persuasion + 2 EXP
Rhetoric + 1 EXP
Weapon: Longsword +1 EXP
Intimidation +1 EXP

Lores
Lore Earned
The Varied Uses of Impromptu Weaponry
Searching for a Brawl
Learning Under Pressure
Longsword: Sword and Shield Stance…without the Shield
Under Scrutiny: Ser Wade’s Intimidating Presence

Notes :
I had Queen’s song “Under Pressure” going through my head the whole time I read this. Thank you for that. Anywho, PM me if you’ve questions regarding your grade.
Perplexity's Office Status

Perplexity
DS of Zeltiva, Mod Privileges in Wildlands

Words: 440795
Joined roleplay: July 11th, 2013, 11:59 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)