Completed [Sanctuary Beach] The Art of War

Jorin is tired of having to run anytime his "theatrics" are ... unappreciated. His solution however, isn't much better...

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

[Sanctuary Beach] The Art of War

Postby Jorin Ertihan on August 24th, 2013, 5:25 pm

Season of Summer, Day 45, 513 AV

Jorin had finally found his balance when the sun melted Uleru's ice. He watched in curiosity as she generated another ball. He was greatly curious what these shimmering balls and masses were. He was certain they had something to do with magic, but what was it? Since he saw her generate wind, water, and ice, clearly the translucent balls were not filled with one of those elements, but those elements were probably transmuted from it. Or something ... he couldn't be sure.

He'd barely paid any attention to magic when he was still in Zeltiva; the classes existed, he knew the names of some of the courses just because they were posted in the University, and he had to walk past them to get to his father's office in the Mathematics wing. But he had no clue what any of the names meant. He remembered a few, there was ... Auristics? Was that what it was called? Also something called Reimancy, although apparently those classes were for advanced students only. There were a couple of others but Jorin had forgotten their names. But all he really knew was that they were some form of magic, he had no idea what any of them were actually about.

This time, Uleru didn't try to trip Jorin with her magic, opting instead for creating a thin strip of ice about three meters in length. Jorin raised an eyebrow, not really understanding what the purpose of such a creation would be. He found out a moment later when she exclaimed, "Come!", grabbing his arm and throwing them both onto the ice, sliding across it. She seemed to shimmer with a silvery color as she laughed, clearly very happy to play on the ice as she flopped about much like Jorin had a moment ago. Jorin tried to stand, but kept falling as well, so taking a cue from Uleru he decided to just roll about on the ice too. The cool surface was certainly a comfort against the hot summer sun.

After a while, the ice melted, and Uleru looked back up, looking sheepish. Jorin just grinned at her. It was good to cut loose every once in awhile, he thought. She asked him about Zeltiva. Jorin nodded.

"Ah yes, my home city," he began. "Zeltiva's an interesting city. It's probably one of the few places you could go to that has both stuffy mathematicians with their heads in the clouds, sitting next to salty old Svefra sailors downing mugs of ale. I spent fifteen years of my life there, although much of it was in a place called the Zeltivan University."

Jorin had a faraway look as he recalled that place. "The University is a very old institution in the city. I remember one Summer when I was around thirteen. I had just come back from my father's office," and here Jorin's face took on an unreadable expression as he recalled his "sessions" in his father's office, sweating out his answers to the dreaded ten questions, and never getting more than five correct, "there were these two students out in the yard. They'd had an argument, it was clear, although I had no idea what it was about. One of them, she ... she transformed her arm! I'd never seen anything like it, her hand just transformed itself into some sort of bony, knife-like projection, and her arm took on a scaly appearance. I suppose it must have been some sort of magic, but their argument ended there when an instructor broke up the fight."

Jorin's eyes shone with his recollection of the first time he had ever seen any form of magic used. He'd heard it yelled many times by instructors as he walked by lecture halls, that magic was dangerous and should never be abused. But still, to have witnessed it first-hand ... and now with Uleru he was getting to see it again!

"Oh! But please don't misunderstand! Zeltiva and the University are not violent places! It was just -- that was the first time I'd ever witnessed magic before. Of course I knew it existed; the University taught magic after all and I spent nearly seven years of my life going to and from my father's office there, but up until then I'd never actually seen it. In fact, learning and seafaring are very closely intertwined in that city, and some of its best features are on the coast."

Jorin shifted in the sand as he continued. "My mother, she used to bring me to the docks every morning, to see the sunrise. She said it was important to give thanks to the sea that gave us life, and to respect the sun, which gives us light. As an artist, she always believed that in order to truly make art based upon something you needed to understand it, to breathe it, to live it. Else your art would be hollow and without soul."

Jorin paused. "It's different than here. There, on the docks there were always ships of every shape and size, of every nationality and hue, all mingled together. You'd see Svefra, and Isur, and Konti, and Kelvic, you'd even see a few Akalak. Every single race running about on the docs. Riverfall's docks do trade, certainly, but Zeltiva's docks were trade. The city relied on it for its survival. So the docks were always alive with people."

Jorin smiled at Uleru. "I think you'd like it there. I know nothing of your people, but you seem to come from the water, and they have great respect for Laviku in that city. But ... I had found it too stuffy for me. Perhaps it was just me, my own desire to see more of the world, but for all its benefits, Zeltiva felt confining. On the day the Traveling Thespians had arrived, I was feeling very restless, and you should have seen them! They were in top form that day, the colorful costumes glistening in the sun, made-up faces in a multitude of different emotions as they strode confidently across the stage, their voices carrying in the ocean breeze."

Jorin laughed. "I remember being so entranced, I got home late that night. My father was so angry with me, wondering where I had been. When I told him he was even angrier." Jorin shrugged. "I suppose I'd expected that reaction. By that point in my life though, I had become convinced that my destiny lay outside the confines of Zeltiva. So no amount of shouting was going to change my mind."

Jorin stood up, picking up the stick Uleru had dropped when she had decided to play on the ice.

"Ok, let's try this again," he said with a smile. "I'll succeed eventually, just you watch!"

With that, Jorin decided to get back into the first stance he was in. The lower stance was more stable, it was true, but also sacrificed mobility. He found himself essentially rooted in that stance, which was dangerous if he needed to move quickly. Deciding the other one was more efficient under general circumstances, he hefted the branch and eyed Uleru warily, wondering what new magical trick she would use this time.

x
Jorin's Thoughts | "Your speech" | "NPC Speech"

"Common" | "Pavi/Grassland Sign" | "Tukant"

"Written Text."

x
Jorin Ertihan
Art is the purest form of expression.

Words: 894547
Joined roleplay: July 27th, 2013, 3:41 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Uleru on August 29th, 2013, 3:29 am

"You know, I'm three hundred years old and I still haven't seen even all the port cities in the world. Isn't that strange? Though, honestly, every city looks the same to me from where I am. Nobody has ever tried to tell me what actually happens there."

Hand on her chin, the moulding stares holes through Jorin's eyes as replays what he said over in her mind. Picturing buildings, the University system, students and a younger Jorin intimidated by his father... Its all so wildly juxtaposed with her own knowledge of the world. And the male cant possibly know how valuable these stories are to her. Its rather disproportionate to the game they are playing. Maybe she'll find a suitable gift for him later, as thanks for divulging so much of himself to a monster he barely knows.

Just then Jorin gets to his feet, loudly proclaiming that he is going to "succeed eventually!" and Uleru laughs genially at his playful pomp. Oh, but she's got a different plan for him. The game has to change before it goes stale!

"Now this time", she begins, eyes sparkling, "your going to protect this." toeing farther down to the breakwater she bends and throws him a large cream-colored shell. "You don't really want to start fights, do you? You just want to be able to fight back if any Drykras women conspire to beat you to death and you cant save yourself with some fancy words." she winks conspiratorially, "Your best chance to do so is to either run away or beat them back with the stick. So I'm going to get that shell, and I'm going through you to do so, so buck up and work on your footing. Because you really suck at it", she admits with a flinching tone.

Moving back to square off with him again, the moulding goes for the familiar trick of coating her hands and lower arms with untransmuted res. But this time she keeps it in its natural opalescent flux. She won't be able to just trip him up from afar, she has to actually go over and attack him. And that will be much harder. At least now she has a quick magical draw if she needs it.
Uleru
Laviku's most faithful Otani

Words: 236852
Joined roleplay: March 7th, 2013, 5:54 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Artist (1) Donor (1)

Postby Jorin Ertihan on August 29th, 2013, 11:07 pm

Jorin's eyebrows raised a bit when Uleru mentioned her age. Of course, he knew some races were more long-lived than others, but three hundred years ... the Otani sure were interesting people! Now he really wanted to hear a story from her.

Uleru changed up the game a bit, handing Jorin a lightly-colored shell and told him to protect it from her, who apparently was going to attack him to try to get it. Jorin grinned. "Ok!" he said gamely, tucking the shell into his pocket. She'd have to knock him down completely to take the shell from his pocket, and besides, Jorin had a new strategy.

Both times before, Jorin had waited too long. Uleru had a precious few seconds in which Jorin stood there like an idiot, waiting for her to use her magic. Could he, maybe, make the first move this time? Uleru's trick with the icicle showed him that any attack he made on her was unlikely to hurt her, but even so maybe if he attacked first, she wouldn't have time to use her magic. At least it was worth a try.

So this time, even though he got into the basic stance he'd been using so far, Jorin did not stand still. Instead, with a loud cry and and ear-to-ear grin, he swung the branch clumsily at Uleru, arms and legs flailing everywhere. It was nothing even remotely approaching any sort of style, for he hadn't observed the Dryakas woman actually use any attacks. So he was just wildly swinging, hoping to hit something. Anything not to be passive like the last two times.

x

"Written Text."

x
Jorin Ertihan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Uleru on August 30th, 2013, 2:53 am

This time the Otani barely has time to face Jorin before he suddenly sings out a battle cry and runs at her swinging his stick like he's warding away a flock of seagulls.

And Uleru is unprepared for this.

She lets out a surprised squawk like said seagulls and tries to backpedal from her grinning attacker. Her body erupts into a poisonous shade of red out of habit, stemming from centuries of dissuading and intimidating attackers. It quickly becomes obvious why she only used ranged attacks before. Now that he has her on the run (on dry land, no less) she has become a clumsy mess.

The first blow of his wild flailing gets her across the shoulder. Her body yields under the weapon much more liberally than a humans, and she reels from the blow but keeps her footing.The second swoops in just behind it and catches her on the side of the head just below her ear. This time the hit is too high and she starts to lose her balance. 

A split second decision and she grabs one of his wildly flailing wrist instead of trying to save her balance. Both of them hit the ground in a flail of sand and limbs.

Seizing the opportunity, the moulding locks her arms around the human's chest (using that grip she is so proud of) and twines her legs around one of his to prevent herself from actually having to wrestle with him. And with a wheeze of exertion she tries to roll herself on top. If she can just get on top she could try to weather his attacks and swipe the prize from his jacket. If she can keep her balance long enough, that is. 

It suddenly hits her that if anyone else were to happen upon this little spar, it would look like a epileptic, spastic lovers embrace between a handsome young human man and a naked, lobster-colored woman. And she cant help herself, she starts to laugh. She laughs at the horrible image, and the situation, and the game, and her chest heaves and her infallible grip loosens and she just cant stop laughing.  

Uleru

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Artist (1) Donor (1)

Postby Jorin Ertihan on August 30th, 2013, 7:59 am

When he'd started his little attack run, Jorin's mind registered that she'd suddenly turned color, from cheerful blue to an angry red. Was that some sort of defense mechanism? He didn't know. Mentally shrugging, he pressed the attack, and Jorin's face registered his surprise when his first blow actually struck Uleru.

He'd completely expected this new tactic to fail just as miserably as his previous two; he just didn't want to be caught doing the exact same thing three times. He'd suspected that magic had a "charge up" time, during which the user was vulerable to a degree, and had hoped his wild swinging would catch Uleru off-guard during that brief window of opportunity.

Emboldened by his success, he continued to swing, and winced a bit when his next swing connected with Uleru's head, just under her ear. With a human, he'd had dropped his staff and dashed over to make sure she was OK, but Uleru seemed none the worse for wear, and instead she grabbed the stick and her own precarious balance, combined with Jorin's still-terrible footing (he really did need to work on that), bore them both to the ground.

Jorin grunted as his side struck the soft sand. Uleru had locked her arms around his chest, and this meant that he couldn't really get his arms in any good position to wrestle her off. Not that he knew the first thing about wrestling, and worse, her legs were entwined around one of his, making his struggles all but useless.

Suddenly, Uleru started laughing. Her whole body shook with her mirth, and her arms around his chest loosened as she continued to laugh. Jorin had no idea what she was laughing at, until he looked down and realized that he was wrestling in the sand with what, to all outside appearances to be a naked red-colored woman. After a few moments, Jorin started to laugh too.

it felt good to laugh. Jorin had never been good with comedy, not really. He could deliver a comical line, certainly, but he'd never been one to create it himself. So he always appreciated humor whenever he could find it. As the laughter died down, Jorin extricated himself from Uleru's grasp, which had gone slack from her laughter.

"So, Uleru, would that count as my victory?" he asked with a grin.

"I think I'd like to know more about your people!" he continued, not really waiting for Uleru's answer. "I've never met an Otani before. You say you lived three hundred years? Wow that's a very long time! You must have seen some interesting things ... do you have any siblings? Parents?"

x

"Written Text."

x
Jorin Ertihan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Uleru on September 2nd, 2013, 5:25 am

"So, Uleru, would that count as my victory?" the human asks, grinning from ear to ear. But before she can answer, or even sit up, he launches into questions that must have been sitting in his throat for a very long time.

"I think I'd like to know more about your people! I've never met an Otani before. You say you lived three hundred years? Wow that's a very long time! You must have seen some interesting things ... do you have any siblings? Parents?

Still shaking the last of the laughter out of her body, the Otani tries to sort his questions into some sort of coherent order in her head. To give herself time she painstakingly tries to brush the sand turned mud off her body, leaving long gritty streaks down her torso.

"Ah, well, I'm not that old to my species to be honest. We don't have a lifespan, so we could live forever if we are careful. Not that we have the most credible track record, but we try, and we're quite sturdy. We were made that way. Laviku, the sea god, made us all. I guess that makes him my father. And I have hundreds of siblings across every sea."

Finally frustrated with swirling patterns of dirt on her body, she rolls to her feet and steps into the water to wash it off. Uleru wades in up to the top of her legs and splashes her face and torso, continuing with his well-deserved explanation as she works.

"We were made to serve our god, see? We track ships, collect tribute, weed out the blasphemers. Its how He keeps watch over his realm. Because He can see through me, did you knows that? Laviku knows everything I know and sees what I see. He can even work through me by force of will. Isn't that amazing? Oh Jorin, you would not believe what I have seen in his seas", she says, and her eyes have that faraway look of someone completely lost in religious serenity.

You can almost hear the the ranting, pious speech bubbling away in her throat, but she blinks and forces it down. He is not here for her ranting, he is here for a story. Unfortunately she is not very good at stories, her mind doesn't work in that kind of logical order. Maybe he'll take a song instead.

"You wrote me a song, Jorin, maybe I can gift you one in return? Oooh, maybe one about your life that you've been so generous with sharing?"

Straightening up, she crosses her ankles and puts a hand over where her heart would be as she has seen in actors reciting sonnets. She has heard of his life under his fathers carful rule and his mothers creative hand, how he ran away to join a colourful troupe to distant lands. He must be much braver than he takes himself for. What can she give him that would reflect that?

She wavers there in the water like a stalk in the breeze as she thinks of a song for the actor, until, finally, she opens her mouth and sings for him with a voice like the rush of a brook:

"I waited for a sunny day to launch my grand design
The clouds would loom, the wind would turn--it happened every time
Until at last it struck me: I should just let it all unfold
The sun is shining somewhere
Fortune loves the bold.

They laughed and shouted questions to the fool out in the storm
They thought that I would envy them, all safe and dry and warm
But I think I'm done with staying right where I've been pigeonholed
And fortune loves the bold.

So now I seize the chance to run where in the past I've strolled
I've learned that luck won't change itself--it has to be cajoled
And if you wait for sunny days, your tale remains untold
The sun is shining somewhere...
Fortune loves the bold."

OOC :
Song: Fortune
Artist: Heather Dale
Uleru

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Artist (1) Donor (1)

Postby Jorin Ertihan on September 5th, 2013, 3:32 am

Jorin listened in silent wonder as Uleru described her people. It was fascinating, a people created by the sea god himself, basically immortal, protecting the ocean while singing of what they saw ... so many stories Uleru must have! That all the otani must have! After all, it was said that the Suvan connected all things; so too, then, did the Otani.

Apparently, Laviku could see through Uleru's eyes, experience what she experienced. Jorin figured if he created Uleru, then it would make sense he'd be able to do that. Jorin just hoped that the god of the sea would think favorably on the poor unfortunate actor hitting one of his servants ... with a stick ... Jorin determined to not get on a boat again. just in case.

In any event, Uleru sounded so happy talking about the sea. No not happy, ecstatic. Like it was the most wonderful thing, and he had no doubts it likely was. Ultimately, she was a creature of the sea, of course its god and its creations would be wonderous. Jorin wished that Uleru would continue to speak of what she'd seen beneath the waves, but instead she offered a song. Jorin felt a pang of envy. One of the things neither he nor his mother ever mastered was song. Poetry sure, but never song.

It was a beautiful song, and its cadence echoed in Jorin's mind. He'd never heard singing quite like that before. Bawdy drinking tunes in alehouses, sure. Broken bits of old folk songs sung around a campfire, several times. But never real singing. Never a melody so beautiful, it made him want to just close his eyes and listen.

Jorin smiled. "That was lovely!" he enthused. "I'd never heard it before, but you sing it with such passion! I only wish I could sing. I had heard that if you sang to the sea, it would sing back to you, but this was the first time I ever experienced it first-hand."

Jorin grinned, and stood. His legs creaked under him, the bruises on his shins shouting their protest. Wincing slightly, he nevertheless gave Uleru a game smile.

"Well, what game shall we play next?" he asked.

x

"Written Text."

x
Jorin Ertihan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Uleru on September 6th, 2013, 3:05 am

Uleru winces in sympathy when Jorin hobbles to his feet, groaning and creaking like an old man. Perhaps she has been a bit too enthusiastic with her play after all. And while she understands that her kind are happy to play all day, taking breaks only to eat and tease the land-dwellers, asking the actor to do that same probably isn't wise.

"You know what? I think you're learning. You won the last one, eh? Maybe you should... You know... Call it a day?" she looks meaningfully at his shins, which are turning the delightful molten yellowish green of an impending bruise.

"But then you must come straight back! We can play more games. And find snarky beach-goers you can club with your mighty stick", she nods, eyes sparkling with the idea, and picturing a certain Drykas woman being smote about the mouth with the butt end of that staff.

She wades back to shore then, getting the dry, sticky sand all over her feet again. And the Otani gives her parting good-bye by bending at the waist to give him a sisterly kiss on the top of the head. Thus dripping quite a bit of water both down his hair and lap.  

"Bye Jorin the actor, thanks for the stories!" she cheers, before slipping back into the surf and disappearing under the waves.

As she's swimming fluidly back to the deeper part of the bay she humms a little snippet of song. Uleru's smiling again, certain she has just won herself a friend, and quite pleased with the afternoon well spent. She wonders absently when she'll see the actor again.

Mmmm, hm, hmmm
And fortune loves the bold"

Uleru

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Artist (1) Donor (1)

Postby Jorin Ertihan on September 6th, 2013, 11:32 pm

"You know what? I think you're learning. You won the last one, eh? Maybe you should... You know... Call it a day?"

Jorin nodded gratefully. Uleru was right. He could feel every bruise on his shins, and his bottom hadn't felt this way since his father had caned him once for stealing sugar. He was sure he'd be sore for at least a week, but it had been worth it. Uleru was a very good friend, and he was happy to have met her.

"I think you're right," he replied, "but I'll do better next time!" he promised with a wink.

Uleru grinned and continued, "But then you must come straight back! We can play more games. And find snarky beach-goers you can club with your mighty stick!"

Jorin laughed, and nodded. It was going to be a very interesting summer, he could tell. Making friends with an Otani, now how many people from Zeltiva could claim that?

"Bye Jorin the actor, thanks for the stories!" Uleru called out, as she disappeared into the waves. Jorin couldn't help but be fascinated by that. The Otani were truly remarkable people.

"Anytime," he called back, unsure if Uleru heard him. He stood there until there was nothing but the sound of crashing waves and screeching gulls. Then, slowly, and somewhat painfully, he headed home.

~Fin~

x

"Written Text."

x
Jorin Ertihan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Magpie on September 22nd, 2013, 11:18 pm

e
Jorin :
XP:
Weapon: Quarterstaff +5
Mathematics +1
Socialization +3
Negotiation +2
Observation +5
Composition +1
Rhetoric +1
Storytelling +2
Tactics +2

Lores:
Mathematics of a Quarterstaff
Paying for Lessons with Art
Neither Man Nor Beast Can Eat Art
No Call for Violence
Uleru: Water and Air Reimancer
Uleru: 300 Years Old
Overview of the Otani

Injuries:
Bruised Shins - 1 week

Silnas :
Let me know if you decide to come back, and I'll add your grade here.

Uleru :
XP:
Observation +5
Weapon: Quarterstaff +2
Reimancy +4
Teaching +2
Planning +1
Wrestling +1
Storytelling +1
Singing +1
Socialization +2

Lores:
Art is a Different Kind of Sustenance
Jorin: Poet and a Kind Man
Jorin: Travels to Riverfall
Ice Doesn't Last Long in the Sun
Zeltiva: Overview
When to Call it a Day

Overgiving:
Feeling dry and stiff (even while in water) - 3 weeks
Difficulty catching breath on land - 2 weeks

Additional:
You had a lot of magic use, but no real mention of the consequences, such as sweet whispers and overgiving. Otani are djed-heavy, but even they can't use this much magic at Competent level without experiencing some side effects.

On a different note, loved the turning bright red bit :)

And lastly, I'm afraid you need to come up with your own lyrics if you're going to sing a song, due to the site's originality requirements. So you don't have to go through the extra work of composing (unless you'd like to?), you can just say you sang him a song about such-n-such. Please delete the song here when you get a chance.

Notes :
You both had a ton of skill usage in this thread, and it was quite an interesting read too. Not your typical training thread. Great job.

If you have any questions or concerns about what was awarded, please don't hesitate to PM me.
e
Office ~ Riverfall ~ Starting Guide ~ Q & A Forum
Moderated Threads: Full up right now, sorry!
Magpie
A-flutter

Words: 324445
Joined roleplay: January 28th, 2013, 4:49 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)

Previous