Completed (Syliras Theater Square) Last Night Out

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

(Syliras Theater Square) Last Night Out

Postby Orion Michaels on August 20th, 2013, 5:21 pm

70th of Summer, 513 AV
Syliras Theater Square
18th Bell

Orion was more than pleased when word got to him about the reopening of the theater. It may come as a surprise  to most, but the former doctor was quite a fan of the arts, even though he'd hardly spent any time partaking of them himself. Dance, singing, acting, juggling, sleight of hand, all of them were simply stunning to behold. Even when the more . . . amateur . . . performers were having their fun and failing at their craft, everyone could laugh, cheer, and just let loose. Like the festival of last season, it marked a growth in the city, a recovering from the horrible Djed storms which changed everyone's lives. It was a place where one could suspend disbelief and just enjoy the show.

Orion certainly intended to.

The squire had invited Kyra to join him on the evening to see an opera performance. "My Heart is my Sword." Orion had never seen it in person, but just listening around the city, the wealthier districts especially, it was an dramatic tragedy, a story of an early Syliran Knight and his struggle to balance love and duty. Orion thought it sounded unbelievably cheesy, but the vocals were sure to be heart moving. Regardless of all of that, it was a rather large event, and while others would try and put on their performances and try and make their tips, the opera was expected to be the gem of the evening. 

Well dressed, well off citizens walked past Orion on their way into the square, paying him little or no mind. The squire was waiting by the entrance from the Illyithian District, the predetermined meeting spot for him and Kyra. The show didn't start for another half a bell, but he'd arrived early just to watch the people and drink of every bit of the experience. There were always wives bickering at their husbands about something that had gone wrong about the evening, and those husbands were zoned out, because 'well, I'm already taking you to this petching show'. People stupidly brought children in some cases, and for some the performance would be ruined by a noisy child. Even more people showed up alone, curiosity peaked at the reopening of the theater. 

A soft smile sat on Orion's lips. He felt reenergized like he'd not been in a long time. It seemed as though nothing could go wrong.

Now it was just time for him to wait on the beautiful Kyra. Leaning against the stone wall did he pause, eyes scanning the crowd for that ever curious woman. Garbed in a dark blue suit, Orion hoped she'd dressed up again as well. It was nearly this time last season they'd gone to that gala. It was almost nice to have someone to go to these events with.
Orion Michaels
Cut to the punchline

Words: 1033425
Joined roleplay: August 2nd, 2012, 12:33 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Mizahar Mentor (1)
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Kyra on August 20th, 2013, 8:20 pm

Kyra had never been to the theater in Syliras, in fact until summer, the kelvic didn't know the place existed. It was closed the last time that she came to the city and was still closed when she left. As far as she knew it was just another part of the city that she hadn't been too. She was interested in going in, theater was something that she had enjoyed every since her mother took her to one when she was just a kid. It had been an opera show, and although she hadn't understood one word of it, the music touched her and she found it beautiful.

It was a cheerful yes, when the doctor-turned squire asked her to come with him to the event, that also was going to be some form of opera. Kyra dressed for the event, wearing the same slender black, sleeveless dress that she had worn to the ball they attended together. The kelvic was already out that day on a business meeting with a client in the Illyithian District. The man had been impressed with her attire, and likely thought her of higher living than she actually was. It was easier to dress once, instead of going all the way back to her room at the Traveler's Row just to change for the evening.

She left the Illyithian District afterwards, seemingly in the company of a few others who were going to the event, but it was easier for her to find the place if she went along with others who already knew of it's location. Once she was closer, the direction was obvious, with many people all heading down the same path. Some were dressed up as she was, and others not so much. Kyra looked around as she approached the entrance to find Orion. He had told her where he would be, but she wasn't used to the place and had to look harder to find him.

"Oh bother, Am I lost so soon?"

The kelvic was just about to try and sniff him out when she noticed him posted against the wall as if he was on duty. He was dressed nicely in a suit, and she thought he looked professional standing as he was. "Orion, there you are. I am surprised that I found you so quickly."
Smiling, she reached out and gently hugged him, a soft almost inaudible purr slipping out just before she released him. "So, we are seeing an opera yes? Do you know much about it? I haven't been to one in a very long time, I've almost forgotten what it was like."

Kyra
Strength is meaning

Words: 516587
Joined roleplay: June 1st, 2012, 6:39 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Orion Michaels on August 23rd, 2013, 4:43 pm

Orion spotted the young woman looking for him long before she did, but made no move to alert her to his presence. Everything about her intrigued him. She was stunning, nimble, and lithe; everything he could desire. Yet, there was something about her, something different that he just hadn’t put his finger on quite yet. She approached everything with such interest, unlike anyone he’d ever met. Inquisitive and playful, it seemed as though she wanted to understand anything and everything she could. The lovely Kyra would ask questions as she had them, a seeker of knowledge about whatever crossed her mind. Still, she was more than that. When in a situation that was less pleasant, she had an almost . . . animalistic aura about her. She was calm until cornered or wronged, and then a side he’d not expected would show. A vicious side. A wicked side. It had caught Orion off guard the first time he’d seen it. Eyes burning with fury. She would have killed the Eypherian in the Spinning Coin had he not intervened. There was so much he didn’t understand about her, and surprisingly, he’d wanted to learn more.

That’s why he was waiting for her, smiling as she searched for him.

”Glad you could make it, Kyra,” he said, returning her embrace. ”Looking lovely, as always.” He’d barely had an opportunity admire the slender black dress last time they’d gone out in this manner. She knew how to dress, that was plain enough. ”Yes indeed. ‘My Heart is My Sword’. I’ve never seen this one, but I’ve heard nothing but wonderful things. I haven’t been to a show in years. My father used to make me come here. He wanted to culture me. ‘No Michaels will be unappreciative of the arts,’ he would tell me every time.” He smiled softly, shaking his head as he looked at the ground for a moment.

He hadn’t thought about that man in a long time. Now wasn’t the time.

”I do hope you enjoy it. You mentioned something about it at the gala last season, so I couldn’t imagine anyone else I’d rather invite.” Looking at her, a full smile returning to his face, he offered her his arm to link with so they could enter the theater square and find themselves a place to watch the show. ”Shall we? Don’t want to be stuck in the back, after all."
Orion Michaels
Cut to the punchline

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kyra on August 27th, 2013, 1:04 am

"Your father forced you to come?" she asked with a very curious look in her eyes.The opera was a nice outing in her eyes, and she couldn't see why anyone would have to be forced to enjoy one, or why anyone would want to force someone to attend. "My mother introduced me to the opera...did I say that already?" she paused for a tick, a thoughtful look in her eyes, it was likely that she already had said so. "I didn't understand the story, much, but she seemed to and really enjoyed it. I can understand them better now..I think."

Kyra looked around again, noticing all the people gathering and waiting for the show to begin. It was very different than what she would see in Ravok, the place was in doors with a grand stage and pew-like seats all around. But this place had an open ceiling and felt more like a park than a theater. "Yes, I hope that we can both enjoy it, this play about hearts and swords. It sounds lovely."

She smiled at him as he did with her, arm lifting up and gently wrapping around his. Kyra allowed Orion to led the way and followed along. There were people there she had met before, shop owners, squires, other travelers and the like. With her free hand, the kelvic reached up and twirled her fingers through her blondish hair . They were surrounded, and from where she stood now, Kyra could no longer see the exit that she appeared from.

"So what do you think Orion? Will the show began soon?"

Kyra
Strength is meaning

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Orion Michaels on September 3rd, 2013, 5:28 pm

"Oh, yes, he did," Orion replied, a brief look of sadness quickly washing off his face. The elder Michaels was one of the smartest men he knew, but perhaps his childhood had put somewhat of a biased and nostalgic appearance upon his memories. Darian Michaels, doctor extraordinaire, ruthless teacher, and, surprisingly, a connoisseur of all things fine. A glass of fine wine and an opera? He couldn't say no. "My father he . . . he wanted me to be just like him. For better, or for worse. He'd take me to all these events because 'no son of mine is going to be uncultured.' It was . . an interesting childhood, to say the least." It was an interesting young adulthood as well. That man had scarcely touched his thoughts since his death. A place like this could bring all of those good and bad times racing to the forefront of his mind. 

"Yes, I think you did mention that to me once. It's why I thought of you when I heard that this would be held. I couldn't imagine bringing anyone else along."

Off they went into the crowded square, linked arm in arm. Orion was almost surprised with the large amount of people attending. Syliras was an interesting city. His brief travels elsewhere had given him some insight into the almost desperation that the upper class in the city seemed to have. Everything to be at the forefront of class, at the top of trends, to be the best. Preferably while holding others beneath him. The so called 'nobles' of Syliras were anything but their name. He'd seen both the best and worst humanity had to offer in this city. While it was oft frustrating for Orion to see the selfishness that people thrived on, himself included, there was enough about the place he was willing to give his all for Syliras. Take up arms against anything that would threaten this way of life. While not all could rise to the top, those who touched the ground were there of their own accord and dealt with as the knights saw fit, after all. 

"Well, I'm imagining it will. We're a bit early to try and actually get a view of the stage they're setting up. See, this square isn't normally set up for performances like this. It's a lot like the bazaar. First come first serve, as long as you pay your coin. Something like an opera will catch everyone's eye because it takes a lot more than a juggling act, you know?" Orion held tight to Kyra's arm as he led them through the mass of people. "I've hardly seen people this excited. The people of Syliras are so engrossed in their lives, sometimes I wonder if they take the time to be happy. Anyways, keep your eyes open for a good seat and shout out if you see one. It would be great if we can get a clear view of the performance, wouldn't you agree, Kyra?"
Orion Michaels
Cut to the punchline

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kyra on September 10th, 2013, 6:41 pm

"Do you share features with him?" Kyra asked as her eyes fell upon his scar again. She remembered that night, the night the beastly, furry men tried to rip his face off. She did what she could but, apparently she wasn't skilled enough to save his face. "If so I am sorry that is no longer possible." Kyra reached up and gently touched the side of his face, but kept her fingers inches away from the scars, as if she were afraid they might still cause him pain. "They appear better now.." It had been a very strange encounter, never before or again had she seen such beast in the forest. It was as if they appeared just to scar the squire's face then returned to nothingness after their job was complete.

"I am excited to see what will happen...when it starts. Do you know the people, are they of the Order like you?"

Looking around as they moved through the crowd, Kyra held on to Orion's arm and pushed herself closer to him. It was a nice closeness, the exact opposite from when people were groping her and trying to pull her off to some place she didn't want to go. As they continued, the kelvic caught the trail of scents, some of lotions, and perfumes coming from the wealthier patrons, and then other smells that caused her nose to twitch. "The bazaar? I thought this was a theater. It certainly looks like one, though it does not." She looked around them again, then turned back to gaze up towards Orion's face, as she waited for him to make sense of it for her. "It's very different than anything I've seen before."

Moving along Kyra smiled as Orion held her closer, there was fun to be had there. The two of them making their way through the crowd arm in arm seemed fun in it's own way. They were supposed to be looking for a seat, but it was hard to see anything beyond the mass of people. Unlike Orion, Kyra was short and she could barely see anything over the shoulders of those taller than she was. "Oh... oh no, I can not find one. What do you see Orion? Shall I climb your shoulders for a better look?"

Kyra
Strength is meaning

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Orion Michaels on October 6th, 2013, 7:23 pm

Orion paused a moment in his speech to think on her questions. He supposed he and his father looked quite similar. There was very little about him that was of his mother, except perhaps her defiance. "I guess you could say that. I've been told I'm almost an exact copy of him, though he had a few more grey hairs. And insisted on being clean shaven." Blue eyes fell on Kyra as she spoke with regret and guilt at the scars on his face. It wasn't her fault at all that the injury was there. That fell on either him or the Zith that had struck his face. "Don't worry about it. If I'd been paying more attention that bastard wouldn't have caught me anyways. Besides, if you weren't there, it would have gotten infected, I would have died, and we'd never be going to this this show together." Orion reached up and took her hand, placing it against the scar on on his face. "It doesn't hurt anymore, don't worry."
After releasing her hand, he began to move again, searching for a place they could sit.

"No," he said, shaking his head. "They're all actors as far as I know. None of them are actually members of the knighthood. I suppose it's possible that I could have met some of them, but i'd guess they are all strangers."

He felt contented at Kyra's closeness, an usual reaction from the oft cold Orion. With her came no expectations of him, only them being who they were. "It's called the Syliras Theater Square. It works a lot like the bazaar does. You have to pay to use it, which is how both areas operate. Instead of selling goods and wares, they sell performances, if you will." Orion had to remember that Kyra was a foreigner to this place. It seemed every area of population in this world operated a little bit differently, so this culture was something new. "It's wonderful that it's back open."

He chuckled softly at her suggestion that she crawl on his shoulders. As amusing as that would have been, the former doctor had actually spotted a couple of open seats that weren't terribly far from the stage. "Just stick with me, Kyra. I think we can get a pretty good view of the performance." He continued guiding the young woman to where they would sit, dodging and and shifting past others who wished to view the show. Naturally, he wasn't the only one who'd seen the seat. Another man and his date arrived simultaneously. He and Orion made eye contact and both the men stood there, making an awkward eye contact.

"Well..this is fun.."

Orion Michaels
Cut to the punchline

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kyra on November 4th, 2013, 8:41 pm

Kyra followed Orion through the crowd. The kelvic stayed as close as she could, somewhat balancing on the tips of her toes as she looked around for seats at the same time. Because of her lack of attention into doing one thing, Kyra did step on a few boots, and even bumped into Orion a time or two. It was close to walking blind, seeing nothing but people around her and no seats.

"Perhaps will shall have to stand."

It seemed that they would, but she would have rather found a place to sit. Standing she could do, but then she might also feel the need to move around, which wasn't good if one was supposed to be watching a show. "Are we there yet? I do hope so."

A few ticks later Orion stopped and as she peeked over his shoulder, she noticed two empty seats not too far away from the stage area. It was good luck and better timing for him to spot it before anyone else did. However, just as they were about to sit, another couple arrived making their win a stalemate. Kyra looked back and forth between them then simply slipped passed Orion and sat down. "Excuse me." was all she said as she fixed her clothing and crossed her legs.

"Orion, are you going to sit?"

The couple looked appalled and the woman took a few steps forward, grabbing the kelvic's arm as she tried to pull her out of the seat. "Stop it. What are you trying to do?" One leg lifted up and kicked the woman, making her fall backwards into her date, who stared at Orion with a hard glare.

Kyra
Strength is meaning

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Orion Michaels on November 5th, 2013, 9:08 pm

Orion watched with no lack of amusement as Kyra pushed her way past him, ignoring the standoff between them and the other couple. Orion had grown to admire Kyra's free spirit, finding endless amazement within the way she carried herself. The blonde woman seemed to lack any sense of social protocol, and it was probably one of the squire's favorite things about her. If she was curious about something, she asked about it. Well, if they were lucky. She would act on whatever impulse struck her at the time. It seemed as though she attacked every encounter in her life with a childlike curiosity. 

He knew he should have stopped her, that he should have stepped in before things escalated, but his astonishment at the way Kyra acted left him wanting to see more.

The woman grasped Kyra's arm before the former doctor could even reply to her question, and then came the first of his friend's kicks, sending the other man's date stumbling back into him. The harsh look was followed by biting words. "What do you think you're doing!" His glare jumped between Kyra and Orion as he took a step towards the latter. "Get your woman under control, you vagik! We saw the seats first."

Orion grinned, moving over to take the remaining seat next to Kyra. "My woman? I don't think I've ever referred to anyone so possessively, friend." Orion put his hands on Kyra's leg, raising his eyebrows in a questioning manner. "I don't own you, right? I'm fairly sure you make your own decisions, unless I'm secretly controlling you somehow." His tone was dripping sarcasm, and the man wasn't about to be shown up by Orion. He reached out and grabbed Orion's arm and tried to pull him up from the seat. 

"You think you're so funny, huh? Get up and give us these seats! We were here first!" Orion dug his feet into the ground, unwilling to move. Whatever this stranger did on his day to day work, it didn't require the amount of strength Orion had gained since becoming a squire. He wrapped his hand around the man's wrist and yanked him down onto his lap. "Oh mister, you're simply the worst! Trying to take me here in public! I-It's not like I like you or anything, idiot." Orion turned his head aside as though he was blushing at the man's proximity. The man was more than flustered by Orion's erratic behavior. "I've got a date already, handsome. You're a little too late."

He pushed himself away from Orion, tired of the man's games. "Whatever! I think I see some seats over there. I don't have time for this; the show is going to start soon." The two strangers were off in a hurry, storming away to try and find somewhere to actually get a view of the stage. 

Orion smirked, turning his attention to Kyra. "Sorry about that. Some people are absurd. Let's hope we can actually enjoy this show, huh?"

Orion Michaels
Cut to the punchline

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kyra on November 6th, 2013, 8:01 pm

Kyra shared a hard glare with the woman as she stood up and fixed her dress. There was nothing wrong with her clothing, but the woman felt that she had to do something with her hands, because she wasn't about to use them to attack Kyra. No, she had taken the small woman to be nothing more than a commoner, and found out she was wrong.

"Why I never! You girl are a street mouse, and you have no manners or sense of decency."

The kelvic pouted, golden eyes narrowed as she griped the arms of the seat and pushed herself forward. Kyra hated being called names, and even though she didn't always know what they meant, the girl knew when she was being insulted.

"I am no street mouse, and my name is Kyra. I sat here first, and you have no reason to be so rude!"

Kyra folded her arms under her breasts and turned to look at Orion, waiting for him to sit. She felt better at his side, and at least he seemed to like her company when everyone else seemed to hate her. When he placed his hands on her leg, she started to smile at him, but was instantly confused by his words. The thought of being owned scared her, and the kelvic had promised herself that she wouldn't let it happen again.

She didn't understand at the moment that he was being sarcastic, though she seemed to be confused by that often it seemed. "I am owned by no one, and this chair is also free." she said in protect. Suddenly it was the man and Orion who were fighting and Kyra pushed back into her chair and curled her legs in as she watched them struggle.

"Leave him alone, he did nothing to you."

It happened quickly, but was over just as fast. The two went off on their own and she and Orin settled back into their seats and relaxed. "People can be so odd. I'm sure there are other places to sit." Crossing one leg over the other, Kyra sat properly with by hands resting in her lap. She stared out towards the stage at waited for the show to start.

Kyra
Strength is meaning

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Next