[Kenash Auction Hall] Help Wanted

Roric and Haeli come face to face.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This lazy agricultural settlement rests on the swampy shores of the Middle Suvan at the delta of The Kenash River. The River's slow moving bayou waters have bred a different sort of people - rugged, cultured, and somewhat violent. Sprawling plantations of tobacco and cotton grow on the outskirts of the swamp in the rich Cyphrus soils, while the city itself curls around the bayou and spawns decadence and sins of all sorts. Life is slower in Kenash, but the lack of pace is made up for in the excesses of food and flesh in a city where drinking, debauchery, gambling, slavery, and overbearing plantation families dominate the landscape.

Moderator: Gossamer

Postby Haeli on September 6th, 2013, 6:21 pm

Timestamp: 12th of Fall, 513 AV

Haeli's life was turned upside down. She'd managed to come half a continent and she'd changed coastlines. And in the first days, the witch had managed to purchase a building to house her new shop and was in the process of unpacking when she'd realized that the task was utterly impossible to do alone. In Lhavit, there were places to hire help. But the stranger before her was saying now, that was not the case in Kenash.

The man shook his head. He was a vendor that sold tea and lemonade in Lantern Square. Haeli had made her way there to find information. And after being persuaded into purchasing a cup of the bitterly refreshing stuff, she was still staring at the man astonished. He had no other customers that she was blocking, and his answer was firm.

"No no. You do not hire laborers here. No one willingly works. You'll need to buy yourself some help. You don't pay them a wage and they go home. Once you buy them you own them and you can do whatever you want with them girl. Are you daft? It's not an auction day, but go by the Auction Hall anyhow and see what they have. You can get all kinds there, really. Some even cheap." Haeli was astonished. The concept of one person owning another had her mind whirling. Slavery? She'd read about it. She'd even heard talk of it. But she'd never experienced it first hand.

The old man tapped his face. He had elaborate ink marks on it. "See? I belong to the Godshome. I do not get paid to do this work. I do this work because it is their wish, and I'm too old for the fields. I'm here selling food and drink until I die. It's my lot in life. So you go south, take the last bridge, and look for the big building on the right. Once you get there, show them the brand on your hand, and then ask to see their stock. Then you go pick out something you like. And you buy them. Then they work for you, girl... for the rest of their life. But you... you take care of them then too. Cause slaves are a big responsibility." He said, nodding to himself.

"Thank you. I... I'm sorry I've just not ... well this is not something I know about." She replied, then studied his facial markings as well. They were not as pretty as gnosis marks, but in their own right they were just as elaborate.

"I will go look. Thank you." The man grinned, then held out his hand. Haeli stared blankly at it a moment, the realized he wanted compensation for his information. With humans, there was always a price. She slipped a few coppers into his palm and turned to walk away, looking for the auction house.
Last edited by Haeli on September 8th, 2013, 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Haeli
The stars in the sky have all the answers.

Words: 366819
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2010, 9:33 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)

Postby Roric on September 7th, 2013, 9:30 pm

The tepid darkness was stifling, air rife with the sounds of captivity; stuttering throats, shuffling feet and the occasional crazed tittering. The cloying odor of sweat kept him nauseous, inescapably so, much like the life he now lead. His eyes gleamed in that perpetual darkness, acutely aware of the handler’s approach, footfalls growing louder still as his captors drew near with their meal. Or what he supposed was the meal – more often than ever before, buyers came and went, eyes glazed with insatiable greed, indifferent to the suffering around them. He despised every last one with such a deep, resonating hatred that in combination with the scars from his lashings, they routinely passed him over with little more than a shrug.

”No good, that one,” the handler would say. ”He’s unruly. Not what you’re looking for.”

No, not what they were looking for. Even those seeking his skills in the wild (he’d overhear from above) would opt in favor of better-behaved, more malleable slaves. Roric was anything but. He was captured too late, they’d said, too old to form a “slave bond.” This was a thing he could not comprehend. Bonding, yes: Cyrais, his Mother, had explained the concept shortly after he was born. But he could not imagine other ways to bond, ways to serve unwillingly. It smacked of cruelty, a well-established standard in the putrid city of Kenash.

He seethed in the darkness. The bitterness tasted of ash in his mouth. How he yearned for the uncontrolled wildness of the swamp. Truly, it was how this mess all began. Roric had yearned to see the womb of creation, the stagnant pools of water where every creature had its place. Cyrais had spoken of it, having made contact for trade in her days with the Opal Clan. ‘One day,’ she’d said, ‘I will show you this place.’ It was against his Father’s better judgment and still, they went.

Roric never explored the fenny labyrinth, never tasted the delta fog. And he would never see his Father again. Instead, he was made to sit in moldering cage, until the day he lived no more.

Last edited by Roric on January 20th, 2016, 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roric
Bite me.

Words: 20328
Joined roleplay: September 3rd, 2013, 7:39 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Haeli on September 8th, 2013, 4:51 pm

Her bare feet took her in the direction she needed to go, following the words of the old man with the facial markings. Her careful measured steps took her across one lofty bridge and past cobbles that lead to a huge facility where her caravan had first stopped before it dissolved, dividing itself up. The Traveler's Complex was a massive shadow on the land, dominating the west bank of the sulking Kenash River. Haeli passed it, her eyes watching another caravan reforming, animals being hitched to massive wagons and men wading around loading supplies.

There was industry here. The movement of people was contrary to what the River seemed to project as its almost still waters sluggishly flowed by. Haeli was struck by the contrasts. Kenash was full of them. The city for sure had its own charm, vastly different from Lhavit's core-deep beauty. There was no breathtaking skyglass here, only stone and moss and an old feel to everything around her. As she walked, the hem of her dress showed its age, tattered and fraying from where the fabric escaped the stitching. She wished, in that moment of staring at her hem, that she could morph things beyond flesh, so that the upkeep of cloth could no longer be her concern. Her feet were dirty too. She noticed that outright and frowned, thinking she should have thought to brought her shoes. How would that look? A barefoot person in a tattered dress coming to look at slaves?

Haeli kept on her path until she reached the low slung building with its dark interior and its flat roof that served as a platform for auctions and audiences. She paused at the building and stared, wondering what it was like for people who were waiting inside for someone to have need of them. Haeli had to circle the building once to figure out how to get in. There was no clear entrance in her untrained eyes. Any other human would have followed the landscaping and the columns to the main door, but Haeli missed the visual clues to the more subtle entrance due to the berm and seating on the roof. When she finally found it, she cut across lawn that was well clipped and stepped over a brush to find the stonework path that lead to the doorway. She opened it, slipped in, and found herself at a reception.

There was no one around.

She walked deeper, past offices and came face to face with a man who blinked at her appearance and automatically checked her for a slave collar and markings. Finding none, his brow furrowed and he smiled a greeting. "Good day, M'Lady. How may I assist?" He asked, his slow Kenashren drawl lazy, much like the river outside. Haeli studied his features momentarily and noticed the size of his hands. The fingers were calloused, either from weapons or whips, and that made her uncomfortable. She automatically held her ground though everything in her told her to take a step backwards.

"I was told to come here. I need help at my business and it was explained that help could be acquired here." She answered, remaining neutral and undefined. She would have said what she needed immediately, had she known, but she did not know... not exactly. Nor was she familiar with how these things worked. He looked her over once more, his dubiousness obvious. She was but a girl, nothing fancy and nothing that indicated she had any sizeable wealth about her.

"Show me your hand, M'Lady." He said abruptly, and Haeli raised hers, knowing of which one he spoke. The brand flashed in the light and the man's eyebrows and stance relaxed slightly. He could believe she was Freeborn, barely, but Dynasty? Never. The brand made sense. And with practiced eye he looked her over again. She was lovely, but not in the striking way a true beauty had. Her limbs were strong, well muscled, and not the delicate nature that most Dynasty women enjoyed. Her skin was not flawless and her nails had dirt beneath them. And there was something about her, an air of newness, like she was a babe taking her first steps. It appealed to his darker nature, the inner beast that liked to see fear cross the faces of those beautiful. He wondered what she would look like afraid and almost smiled. He also wondered, in that moment, if she'd be prettier with her skin welted slightly and bleeding from lashes.

He smiled then.

"I'm sure I can find you some help." He said, turning and beckoning her to follow him. This would amuse him, this trip into the bowels of the Auction House. For he sensed she'd never been in such a place before and he was almost eager for her reaction to it. They finished walking down a hall, he lead her down a wide darkened stairway and into what he affectionately dubbed 'The Stables.' The good here were not kept in rooms or on cots. No, not in his operation. He kept his livestock in stalls that were lucky if the hay was fresh and water was available. Each slave was well chained to the wall, either by the neck or by the throat. All of them wore only thin shifts or loin cloths that gave them no privacy or modesty at all.

"What do you need help with? It will help me better assist you in your selection. I'll know what to show you. What sort of work do you want done? Do you prefer male or female, young or old?" He added, looking thoughtfully at Haeli. He couldn't begin to guess her profession nor what she needed in a slave. When she said nothing at first, he prompted her, as if used to guiding people unaccustomed to the merits and flaws of slave ownership into the life.

"Look... Ms..? I didn't catch your name. I'm Marshal Sitai. I need to know some cold hard facts. Let's take these first two for example."
Marshal walked into the first two stalls and unclipped first one chain then another from the wall using a key he carried on his neck to unlock the chains from the iron rings they were fashioned too. He lead out a small woman, pretty, perhaps in her forties and a male that was large, dark skinned, and looked younger but far more violent. Without a thought he reached out and as they were both standing before Haeli, he unclasped the woman's robe and then the man's loin cloth until they stood naked before the Master and potential buyer. Both kept their eyes downcast and said nothing.

"The woman is not strong. She can lift no more than thirty pounds and is past her child bearing age. That makes her cheaper. What adds to her price is that she can cook amazing meals. Do you need her services? Like all slaves she can clean, requires very little food herself, and needs only a warm spot by a fire to sleep in the winter." Marshal said, running his hand down the woman's back and gripping her shoulder affectionately. "I won't have her long due to her ability to cook. She'll go to a new home in the next auction. She's also not so old that she can't provide pleasure to males in your household or even unto you if that's what you want." He added, slapping the woman lightly on the bare cheek of her ass. As Haeli continued to look at the woman, wondering why the slave didn't meat her eye, Marshal moved on.

"Now this one is younger, stronger, and more expensive. He can lift perhaps a hundred pounds and work all day. He requires a firm hand and fed regularly to keep up his strength. He's also intact if you want him to pleasure you, though we can remove his testicles if that's a problem. We do the service on sight." Marshal said, running his hands down the males's body and cupping the items in question. "So the selection is varied. We have human, some inhuman, and a few kelvics. If you don't like the size and shape or sex of one, show me what you want or like and I'll see if I have something more to your liking. But you'll need to tell me what you want." He said, demanding.

Haeli was in shock. She'd seen Okomo treated with more reverence than these people were given by their handler. And the fact that the man was willing to maim the male if that was her pleasure was astonishing to her. And he wanted a list... a list?... of what she wanted the slave for. Haeli froze, her eyes on the man fondling the other man's parts. She glanced up at his face and saw the raw pleasure he was taking from the fact that she was uncomfortable and the fact that the slave in his hand was terrorized by the thought of a knife being taken to his body.

Haeli knew she had to speak, but she had no idea what to say. Her mouth opened, breath was drawn, and she met Marshal's gaze.

"Haeli." She said abruptly, forcing her lips and tongue to form the word. It bought her time and the man sighed. "Haeli, answer yes or no to my questions if you will." He said, all out of patience. "Will you need one for hard labor? Working land, tilling, gardening, cleaning?" He asked. She nodded, a soft "Yes." Coming out of her mouth.

He smiled a cruel cold smile.

In a way working with the girl was like working with a slave, breaking them slowly until they didn't realize they were yoked in to a life of hard work. "Cooking, cleaning, sewing, mending, crafting things?" He asked, forceful, as if his words were a lash upon her skin. "No." She said softly, feeling tortured and wanting to leave. But she was trapped by his eyes and his words, and his manipulation. Kenash was not Lhavit. And this man was not a safe one.

He stepped closer, daring himself and daring her to react.

"Will you want one for pleasure? To service your physical needs? One that's bigger than you, stronger? Or something delicate you can control?" He asked, crowding her personal space and getting in close, touching her lightly on her shoulder. Haeli nearly shivered at his words, hating what he was doing, how he was making her think, and what he was making her feel.

She almost reached for Fang's form, to suddenly turn the odds and make him feel the fear she felt of him transposed back on himself. Fang was stronger, longer of tooth, and more dominant than the girl's shape she wore now. But she held herself still, gathered her courage, and looked up at him meeting his gaze. "No. I require none of that. I just need someone to lift boxes and garden." She said, glancing at the man and woman, still standing at attention for Marshal. He smiled, backed off, and turned to lead them back into their straw lined stalls, tethering them back to the wall.

It was as if that was some kind of test and she'd passed it. Because once the words were out of her mouth, he was walking away, leading her down the rows and rows of stalls, allowing her to look in, letting her ask questions. There were many slaves down in the bowels of the building. It was mere days before an auction so many of the one hundred stalls were filled. There were men, women, and children. All of them looked dead in the eyes though. And perhaps more than anything that made her feel dead as well.

She nearly passed over the shadowy stall in the kelvic area where the pale man was chained. The stall wasn't filled with misery. Instead there was a raging boil that was almost tangible coming out of the shadowy darkness. But the creature had no chance to hide within the welcoming windowless confines. His flesh was too pale, his body to corded with lean powerful muscle. And his eyes, even in the dark, caught the light from the other stalls and reflected back eyeshine that was fierce.

Haeli paused there, staring into the near darkness of the molding confines and smelled the unwashed body inside and wondered why the hay here lining the stall was not freshened like the other stalls were. "That one. May I see that one?" Marshal seemed amused. He nodded though, taking a long coiled whip from his belt, and stepping inside. He unfurled the whip and made sure the creature in the corner could clearly see he had it. Then he unlocked the chain tethered soundly to the wall and dragged the pale creature forth. He flicked his wrist and double looped the length of chain around the male's neck, forming a choke chain that rode higher than the leather collar affixed around his neck.

Then he dragged the young man forward, not even giving him a chance to stand and walk on his own. Being pulled through the straw wasn't half bad, but when his bare knees hit the stone of the hallway between the stalls, they scraped painfully. The slaver didn't seem to notice. Haeli did.

"On your knees. Don't even look at her." Marshal said fiercely, his voice filled with the pleasure of perhaps another tangle with the creature he dragged forth. He let the whip kiss the chilled bare flesh of the male's back, not striking him with it, but indeed just dragging the handle across his shoulders. "This one needs some more lessons in etiquette, but I would not begrudge you his purchase." The slaver said, smiling slightly. A growl sounded from the creature as he started to lift his head and Marshal reversed the whip and thumped him painfully on the head abruptly. "Eyes down." He said once more, firmly, then ran the handle of his long whip down the man's spine and into the crevasse his nether cheeks made.

"These kelvics don't understand words so much as they understand power. This one needs dominated. We've had to pin him down several times and make him understand that." For all Marshal's show though, Haeli noted a nervousness in the man. The whip trembled as it ran across places on the kelvic's sensitive skin and slightly pressed his genitals. She believed Marshal that he'd held the kelvic down, pinned him as he'd called it, but there was a repressed murderous violence in the creature that Marshal saw and Haeli saw... and saw too that Marshal was afraid of. Whatever had happened, it hadn't ended badly for just one of them. It had ended badly for both.

Haeli wanted to ask what kind of Kelvic the man was, how old, where he was from.... She wanted to know a million more things. Instead, while Marshal was doing what he was doing, all but violating the creature, Haeli stepped forward, ran her hand down the white hair at his head, and cupped his chin where his head dropped towards the floor. She gently pulled his face up, where she could see it, and looked into his eyes.

The rawness there caused her to stagger. There was so much in his gaze; rage, pain, loss, a myriad of emotions none of which were settled. It was gone in an instant, cold again, unfeeling. But she was sure she saw what she saw. Haeli released the creature immediately, stepped back, and touched Marshal on his arm, more to get him to stop what he was doing, than to get his attention.

"I'll take him." She said softly, certain. Haeli was unsure if her certainty centered around her immediate death looming in the future or that what she was doing was the absolute right thing to do in this case. She hoped it was the later, but suspected it was the former.
Haeli

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Roric on September 8th, 2013, 7:43 pm

The footsteps became more, suddenly - speech, an exchange between the chief handler and some woman. It was faint but grew steadily as they drew near. This voice was unknown, not the slow gradient of Kenashern but a measured alto that matched her steps with precision. It seemed uncertain, quiet. Free, most likely, which was all but confirmed as the pair came into view. Roric bristled as their eyes met, even more so from the assumed sympathy there. It was pity, had to be; who didn’t pity a slave? He did not want pity. A low growl came unbidden.

"That one. May I see that one?"

He stared unabashedly, even when dragged, even when commanded not to. The pain was a simple thing, easily ignored. She however, was not. This freeborn was remarkably beautiful, projecting none of the decadence others had in the past. Her gaze hypnotized, crystal and blue, so very similar to the endless sea that some of the initial hostility ebbed away. The handler’s words faded into nothing – of course, until he was caressed by the handle of the whip.

His fear was anger and his anger, fear. Roric bore his teeth, canines abnormally long and pointedly sharp. The growl became a snarl, which he felt in the tremor of the wood. It pleased him to know his captor had not yet forgotten their last encounter. This was the man that had tortured him most. Reflexively, his head raised, then lowered, autonomy yet unbroken. But as his eyes caught the ground, he noticed something. This woman had naked feet, calloused with wear, lacking human modesty. His mind reeled.

A gentle hand cupped his chin, like his Mother’s had long before. Their gazes entwined. She was a flower in the muck, a gently blooming orchid in the sediment. He was scared, suddenly vulnerable: angry, grieved, bewildered and most of all, alone. Some small, quiet space in his heart reached forth to kiss her eyelids, to touch her skin and the impulse was a shock. She was no liberator. He was for sale. Detachment rushed in like the tide, returning him to the quiet sussurus of hate he'd very nearly forgot.

But her scent was of the earth. He could smell every bead of sweat, the dirt beneath her nails, the space between her legs and more. It was intoxicating. It smelled of home.

"I'll take him."

Conflict raged. His mind cried no and his heart rejoiced. He could not be this woman’s toy; not her, please, he thought with desperation. It was worse to be fooled by her appearance and enticed by her scent, more torturous than the hail of blows or the chafe of the shackle. Roric did not want this, no. His head snapped up and he showed her his teeth. She’d understand this, being of the wild. He postured, oblivious to the man behind him, struggling to rise so he might scare her, hurt her for trying to buy that which was not for sale.

The foreman yanked on his leash, alternately forcing him down. He growled at him too. He would not dignify this lecherous dog with his words.

”He’s all yours,” Marshal said chuckling. ”Now, would you want him delivered or do you prefer to handle these matters yerself?” He yanked the chain again for good measure. Roric struggled with these bindings, clearly incensed.

"Of course, there too is the matter of payment.."

Last edited by Roric on January 20th, 2016, 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roric
Bite me.

Character sheet

Postby Haeli on September 8th, 2013, 9:02 pm

He was a thing of rage and power, young she knew, chained she also knew, but not broken. No. The flash of teeth and the show of force reinforced that notion. At least not yet. But to remain here, trapped, with no earth beneath his feet and no sky above him, he would be a shattered thing soon enough. Haeli's eyes glanced away, downward, not meeting the kelvics fierce challenge. She deliberately shifted her body away from him, so her profile was displayed, not the full on force of her strength as slight as it was. Small delicate lips remained closed, though she did not give ground. The human that held the kelvic's chain would not understand, but Haeli did. She held a conversation with the wild thing lacking words and voice.

Haeli told him under no uncertain terms that she was not challenging him. Her body spoke so her breath would not have too. There would be no fight now, not here, in these dank circumstances and rapt misery. Language older than common flowed between the two as she neither gave way to his aggression or rose and matched it with her own. Her body relaxed completely in the face of his rage, shoulders loosening, fingers gently remaining at her side. Even her breath was calm, even, and wholly nonthreatening. It cost Haeli to shut the fear down, to not back up, to not meet the aggression with bared teeth of her own. But she had years of surviving in the Gyvaka to teach her control. And this was one of those situations where control was needed.

The man, Marshal, might as well have not been in the room so focused was the girl on the creature and the creature on her. She could have carried on the conversation longer, stretched out more of what she wanted to say, but the man with a heart full of darkness interrupted, demanded payment and information.

While Haeli was busy not making herself a target, Marshal was helpfully lining himself up as one. Yanking the chain, repeatedly tapping the prone male with his whip handle, Haeli wanted to shout at him to stop. But she kept her eyes down, her hands busy clutching at the worn dress she clothed herself in. His questions, the ones from Marshal's lips, came to fast for her to process. She was too focused on the pale shape at Marshal's feet. Blinking, she looked up, the things he said finally registering, and she nodded dumbly.

"I.." Would the man kill the kelvic if she left here and asked him to be delivered? Could she even get him home in the shape he was in? Marshal all but smiled at her, as if he knew what she was thinking, and half laughed. "Well, you think about it and lets go process him." The man said, half dragging the kelvic along before yanking him up and onto his feet. "Walk, you filthy dog." Marshal said, taking a firmer grip on his chain and on the whip that was in his hand. As soon as the male was up, Haeli noted that if not for the half starved condition of the kelvic and the obvious bruises and battering he'd received, the auctioneer would indeed be in trouble. As it was the kelvic was probably too weak to truly fight back. But had the kelvic been fed as well and rested as well as the man, Haeli was certain the contest would be even if not even a bit one-sided in the lean creatures favor.

Was he a dog then? Haeli wondered, the man's words having a slight ring of truth to them. Without looking at the others, Marshal dragged the man along with him leaving Haeli to follow. They went down the length of the hall past the other stalls and into a room at the end with a huge door that was barred. Crossing the threshold, the slaver snapped the chain to a bolt on the wall and then patted a exam table beneath the bolt. "Get up here. She'll want to examine you and make sure you are free of defects." He said, tapping the metal table in the metal room that reminded Haeli more of a medical facility than anything else.

Marshal, after the kelvic was tethered securely, didn't seem concerned if the other male complied or not. He instead went to a far cupboard, pulled forth a bottle and a cloth, and then soaked the cloth with the liquid from the bottle. Before the kelvic could do more than start to peel his lips back off his teeth in threat, Marshal had him by the collar, was behind him and had the cloth clamped over his mouth and nose. Even if the creature had fought, the man was stronger and had all the advantage.

Soon, the air coming through the cloth caused the kelvic to relax. He was awake, functional, but suddenly everything that seemed to be important wasn't. Placid and now thoroughly drugged, Marshal hauled him up on the exam table and dumped his body flat out. "He's a dangerous one, this boy, but I'll give you some things to put in his food to keep him calm until you can tame him down. He's got signs of old injuries, probably from fighting in the wild, and otherwise, according to his paperwork, he has nothing else wrong." Mashal ducked back, tossed the cloth aside, and had dug into a cabinet across the room for paperwork which he placed on a nice board that clamped the pages to the boards surface.

"So.. hes a year old, 6'1", about 185 pounds when we brought him in. He's lighter now. We don't like them that fat." Haeli somehow doubted that Roric had ever been 'fat' as the slaver put it, but she understood what was being said. They'd starved the kelvic to keep him pliable, and probably put things in his food when he was allowed to eat. Mashal strode over to the table and ran his hands down the kelvic man's body, feeling the good strong hips then without any care in the world he tapped the man's genitals. "He's intact. Do you wish him gelded? We'll do it here before you take him home free of charge." He added, smiling slightly as if the thought pleased him.

Haeli shook her head. "No, that is not necessary. You've given me his vital stats, but you haven't told me his price." She reminded the auctioneer, even as he raised his eyes at her and her response to his inquiry. "He's eight hundred gold mizas plus a twenty five percent surcharge you have to pay for buying him away between auctions. He's not been here long, so don't worry about the boarding fees. I will send him home with a collar, this tether chain, and enough relaxant to give you a week to get to know him. Now, do you have a thousand mizas to pay for him? Because excuse my bluntness, but I've never had anyone come here slave shopping barefooted and in a dress as worn as yours." He said, looking for all the world like he expected her to say no.

Haeli nodded. "I do. He is expensive." Haeli glanced at the kelvic who was by now staring off into the distance and slightly drooling. She didn't doubt he heard every word the two spoke. "I have the coin at my business." She rattled off the address. "Deliver him there, completely untouched and in the same exact state he is now, and I will have it ready for you. Do you need me to sign papers now?" Marshal nodded, and without further ado they filled out paperwork. Haeli agreed to meet the slavesrs in an hour at her shop, and as quick as the deed was done, she set off.

But not before she paused a moment by the exam table, got a really good look at him, and laid her hand on his shoulder. She said nothing more, just touched him and walked quickly towards the door.
Haeli

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Roric on September 8th, 2013, 10:04 pm

She did understand. Aggression immediately gave way to surprise. No challenge, her body said. Just listen. But before they could speak further, the handler broke the link. They readied to move, yet he was still frozen. She spoke! After prompting, he complied, lips twisting at the word “dog.” This man was the dog. Roric was lupine, of the wilderness, not some domesticated mutt. But he wanted to know this freewoman who spoke the language of wolves. It was worth cooperating, even for a little while.

They crossed the threshold and his stomach dropped, but it was far too late; with a clang, the man tethered him to the wall. He remembered this room. Roric fought the rising gorge, gagging at the smell. It was ruinous. Feces and urine, sex and blood – this was the room in the Auction Hall he’d first encountered, the first in a long series of humiliation. No, he would not obey, not now. He began to struggle in earnest, chain rattling with cold fury.

Cloth covered his mouth from behind. He fought, elbows jabbing back in futility. His body sagged. The will to fight, to do anything was suddenly gone, retreating to some faraway place. Everything quickly became surreal, most especially what was to follow. She wanted to pay for him. She did not want him “gelded,” robbed of his manhood. Saliva leaked from the crease of his mouth. He was expensive. Was that really true? His detached mind wandered. She was pretty – really pretty, like the Drykas girls that once played in those hotsprings he’d found. The thought was arousing, yet he could not be aroused. He could not do anything.

Her hand touched his shoulder. He could not react. Her smell was so sweet yet so bitter, like a tree. There was sweat and oil and yeast and… He wanted to roll in it. The human in him thought it peculiar, but the wolf did not care.

-

There was no hope for escape. Much like his capture, they had him shackled and collared, blade pressed to his gut, marching him toward some unknown destination. Molars ground in untold frustration, popping and clicking as the enamel scraped. If they did not like it, they said nothing. They feared him, even then. This was good, but soon he’d no longer be theirs. It was she, she that would soon hold sway. She did not fear. She did not retreat. This was a concern, but further, his stomach roiled. Roric wanted to see her. Against everything he knew, the wolf wished for nothing but to look upon that face again.

And despite his rage, he knew he could not hurt her, and yet. He did not wish to be owned. He was a wild thing. All he desired was the grass and the sky. This duality raged in his heart, warring steadily even as he heard the titan force of the waterfall, crashing endlessly into the sea.

Before long, the shop was in sight. They stopped and he blinked. This was her home? Within seconds, he welled it over and decided it was good. There were many plants within; he could smell each one and found more still that needed growing, tiny capsules yearning for life. This shop was built into the cliff near the steady cascade. He wondered what it’d feel like to dig his claws into the loam.

And there she was. He tensed immediately as they stopped. She was even more beautiful dappled in sunlight.

Last edited by Roric on January 20th, 2016, 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roric
Bite me.

Character sheet

Postby Haeli on September 9th, 2013, 12:17 am

Standing in the courtyard of the old syliran outpost among the sunshine punctuated by trees, Haeli wished she could have taken the kelvic from the Auction House the moment she toured through its bowels and saw all the misery there. Truthfully she'd have taken more than him, but the cost of flesh in Kenash was virtually priceless. To carry a thousand mizas with her was stupid, and near impossible for someone of her size anyhow. As it were the stone coins were in a large crate tucked in a burlap sack to be handed over. To afford more than him was near impossible. The money she had to hand over would support her for years if she was careful with it. But such was the cost of life and the cost of one creature's freedom.

The wagon that carried him pulled up. The men took her coin, counted it carefully - which took some time - and then gave the kelvic over into her keeping by roughly wrestling him from the wagon. She stared at the chain placed in her hands and at the creature that was still somewhat lethargic from the toxin that was undoubtedly placed up to his lips on the cloth to subdue him. He was not further harmed, as promised, and they'd given him a loin cloth of some sort to cover his pale skin. Glancing up even as the wagon pulled away - the transaction concluded - Haeli wondered if his fair skin would burn in the warm fall sun.

She glanced at him, then at the chain in her hands, then back at him. The witch did not meet his gaze, not because she was afraid of him, but more of deference and politeness. "We both know you can wrestle this away from me as soon as you fully recover from what it was they covered your mouth with. I'm sorry they did that to you." Her accent was strange, and there was a slight lisp as she spoke almost as if her "S" sounds had to be practiced to be pronounced correctly. She crossed the distance to where he stood, reached out, and carefully unclipped the chain from his collar. Then, unwilling to throw anything useful out, she began to carefully roll the chain up around her shoulder and forearm.

"I... I don't even know if you speak common."
She said softly then gently beckoned to him. Haeli had no idea if he'd run or if he'd stay. She had no idea if he'd attack or even if he would speak. "But I have cold water inside and a nice rabbit stew on the hearth. It's been cooking all day. You look like you could... use a few meals." She said softly, then backed away, still not making eye contact. He had strange eyes, a unique color, and sharp teeth even as a human. Haeli ran her own tongue across her own teeth and wondered what that would be like, to have teeth like his. She shrugged the chain higher up on her shoulder, disliking its weight, and turned to start inside. There was a door in wall of the courtyard that lead to a landing. The courtyard was full of plants, some potted, some looking rather sickly as if they'd just taken a long trip. And the place itself was full of debris, leaf and twigs blown up into it, as if no one had taken care of it for a long while and the girl had just moved in.

Haeli lead the way without looking back, hoping he'd follow, but not willing to force him.

From the landing a stairway swept downward into a welcoming space that had high stone walls and a large hearth. There was an area for cooking and a large bed piled high with boxes in the corner. A curved archway lead to an elaborate bath large enough for men. And yet another corridor ran downward, as if sweeping to the sea. There was more plants down there, spices and herbs dried and fresh as well. He could smell soap and candles and all sorts of oils. To an animal with a sensitive nose like the kelvic, the place would be the olfactory version of a riot of color.

Haeli paused on the living level, swept into the simple kitchen, and got out a large bowl. She began dishing warm stew from the hearth pot into a serving bowl, filling it as full as she could get it. She set the bowl on the table and then got a far smaller one for herself, dishing herself up a ladle or two of food before resting it on the table as well. Then she went to the well, cranked the handle until fresh water fell into her sink, and filled up a pitcher. She poured two earthen stoneware mugs with the clear liquid and set them by the bowls. Then she left the pitcher on the table.

"Come eat, will you please? You look like you could use a good meal. Just go slow... sometimes herbs and tinctures like the one they might have used on the cloth, can make you sick a bit to your stomach."
She said softly, stepping back, letting him have the seat closest to the door, the one where he had no flank to guard and no backside to watch. She took the other spot, the more vulnerable one with her back to the door.

The smell of rabbit stew infused the whole room.
Haeli

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Roric on September 9th, 2013, 1:06 am

And like that, they were gone.

He fixed Haeli with a penetrating gaze, eyes aglow in the light. Her body spoke again and he was too entranced not to hear. It said: I assent, I defer, I only wish to know. That was good. Yet her words only served to anger him at first. Sorry, she said. Roric’s brow furrowed in irritation. This woman knew nothing of slavery. How could she be sorry? He shook his head sharply, as if to say no, he did not want this apology.

Hands approached tentatively and he wanted to move back, yet gravitated toward her touch. With deft fingers she unclasped the chain that bound him, coiling it around her arm. Roric was completely out of his element. Did she truly trust him not to run? Or worse, attack? Did this woman value her coin at all? This was not a human action. Yet, it was not animal either. Coin was a resource, a tool for survival. He blinked. What a strange woman.

He followed, swayed by her altruism, liking the scent of the place and having nowhere else to go. As they descended the steps, a mass of scents he hadn’t first recognized overwhelmed him; herbs and spice, linens and fur, oils and wax. His nostrils flared as he went, eyes darting hither and yon throughout the space, liking all that he saw, including the diminutive woman before him. It was a parade of scent, a festival of sensation, most of it organic, which on the whole was ideal.

The smell of food was too good to deny. His empty stomach quaked, yet he still could not trust. She had spent too much money to own him. The inherent nature of humanity was greed. He stared at her, trying to unfurl some ulterior motivation.

And for the first time in months, he spoke.

”Uncollar me,” he rasped. ”Please.” His eyes were desperate. It was the only way he could be sure. That and the need to change was overwhelming. He’d been collared for too long, unable to access the beast within. ”Thank you,” he added, in memory of Cyrais. She would have been pleased by that.

He eyed her warily, waiting.

Last edited by Roric on January 20th, 2016, 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roric
Bite me.

Character sheet

Postby Haeli on September 9th, 2013, 1:36 am

His words startled her. Haeli flinched as if she never expected him to speak. His tone and cadence was rough, as if he were unused to words. And she met his eyes in surprise, forgetting his inhumanity for a moment. Speaking things were dangerous to her, especially those in human form. Men had taught her to be cautious. Creatures that spoke only with their bodies and their wide copper eyes were far safer. She'd just taken her seat, ready to eat and show him that there was no poison in the food, when his words echoed through the stone of the room.

She folded her hands in her lap a moment, unsure of what to do with them, then rose abruptly, rubbing them down the sides of her threadbare dress. She lifted them then, studying her dirty nails and the worn callouses on her digits, breaking eye contact with him. He hurt to look at directly anyhow. There was too much in his expression that was raw. And though she didn't know him, a virtual stranger, she didn't like seeing what she read in his gaze.

Such pain should not exist. Nor should her loneliness, but she knew her own gaze held less and felt less than the deep glimpses of his own. Pain was definitely worse than loneliness. Of that she was sure.

"I will try." She said, knowing the heavy buckle and thick leather looked like it was starting to grow into his skin. Was it too small for his dog form to safely shift in? Would it kill him in a cruel vice if he freed himself from his human form and tired to run as dogs were prone to do? Haeli crossed the distance and carefully lifted her hands, laying her fingers along the heavy buckle at his throat. There was no lock on it. Instead there were odd shaped pins placed in it that her fingers couldn't free on their own. She understood as soon as she examined it why he hadn't been able to free himself. The leather was grommeted into itself once the buckle was fixed and there were ... screws... she thought she recalled their names.. holding it fixed.

"I see why you couldn't remove it."
She said softly. "It will take a tool. I have one left from a friend who vanished. He liked to build things out of wood and sometimes used screws like these." Haeli said, stepping back from him. His body smelled of sweat and moldy straw and raw beast. And he was far bigger than her, something she wasn't used too. The young woman turned away, her steps quickly carrying her out of the room. He could hear her fumbling around, perhaps in a metal box of sorts in another room, before she brought forth a long slender tool that looked like a weapon. It had a handle then a rod of metal on it. The rod's end was flattened and it looked vaguely threatening.

"You... " She held the tool up for him to see. "You put this against the screws and it fits into the slot on their heads. If you twist it with your wrist, it backs the screws out. That should allow me to free you from the collar." She said, making sure she stood before him, the screwdriver on the flat of her palm, offered up to him so he could see what she had. "It won't hurt you, but it will take time." The witch said, palming the tool and twisting it in her hand so she could press it into his collar, catch the screw on its head, and begin backing it out.

One screw fell loose, then eventually the next one did. Haeli had to step close to him, and rise on her toes to reach the collar. She didn't like pressing the tool into his neck, but it couldn't be helped as she backed out the second and last screw. As she concentrated, her teal eyes sharp on the task, she caught her lower lip in her teeth and fussed until the screw finally came loose. She left them setting on the table and laid the tool down beside them. Reaching up she grasped the flap of the collar, started pushing, and managed to work it into the loop, thus loosening the collar. When it was almost free, she reached up, pushed the tang through the leather, and then had it off his neck. What she found made her hiss.

His neck was raw, bruised, and it was obvious he'd been handled roughly by the neck. Even though the band was free, its shadow remained dark and etched around his neck, the stain from the leather leaving its mark and the discolored skin adding a sickly highlight.

Haeli said nothing though. No comfort would her words offer his abused body. His injuries would heal, but it was his soul she was worried about. Some pain never went away. Her thoughts roamed a moment and then she blinked, offering him the collar. Then she stepped back, taking her seat once more. She wanted to touch his neck, offer him herbs for the bruises, but she knew that such things would be most likely be unwelcome and she wanted to give him space to breath.
Haeli

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Roric on September 9th, 2013, 2:10 am

She did not trust him either. This too, was good. If she’d been too eager, too trusting, he would have drawn away, refused her kindness. Instead he nodded, able to understand this. He listened as she explained, observed her little hesitations. It would take a tool, she said. They had fettered him to this instrument. His ears perked as she fumbled, clearly burrowing into the depths of her crates. Haeli was willing to take a chance to free him. Roric was in disbelief.

After her return, she showed him the tool. It looked cruel and sharp, something to wound, not free. He cringed at the sight of it, but allowed her to try, to back the screws out – whatever those were. It did take time just as she said, and her arms strained to reach him. He leaned in slightly, catching the scent of her hair. It was unwashed, perhaps from travel. He itched to touch the chestnut strands and feel their softness, but would not; it was wrong. She was the same in a way, the same as he. This woman understood how to speak. She knew how to approach. Perhaps she knew animals, like him. The thought gave him hope.

Her hiss made him sigh. He’d not sighed in so long. ”Thank you,” he said again, more earnestly. Instinctively, he rubbed his neck, feeling the wounded flesh beneath. ”You are kind.” And she was. He did her the same courtesy as she all along, holding her brilliant azure gaze. ”Do not be afraid,” he said softly. ”I will not hurt you. But I am about to change.”

In a swirl of light and color his body was enveloped, form shifting from biped to quadraped in less than a chime. Before Haeli stood suddenly an intelligent, snowy-white wolf. His copper eyes were the same, bearing the hurt of servitude and yet, so much more. Without hesitation he took off, bounding around the room. He leapt and barked, tongue lolling from the side of his mouth. He looked so young and carefree, an alpha in his prime. Roric was much taller than a normal wolf, reflecting his human physique.

He trotted back up after much rejoicing and nuzzled against her leg. It was only fair. As an animal, he did not bear so much hate – especially not toward her. Her scent was magnified, as were all the rest of his senses. The rabbit stew was nearly overwhelming. Yet he sat, panting, admiring her from below. She had freed him. His heart soared.

And immediately after, he ran to the bowl of stew, lapping it up at a breakneck pace. He ate and ate, refilling his dwindling energy. It tasted unreal, better than the gruel they’d served him. This was as he belonged. As soon as he finished, the wolf walked back over to her and sat again, studying her face. Eyes traced the broad plane of her cheekbones and the sharp angle of her chin. They wandered the thick fringe of her lashes and the tiny, pert nose that centered her face. Haeli bore this perpetual contrast of innocence and wisdom.

Roric was so grateful that slowly he sank onto his forelegs, to sit. To show that now, she was dominant. This was more than he could have hoped for. His head sank to his legs, looking up at her imploringly.

Last edited by Roric on January 20th, 2016, 6:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Roric
Bite me.

Character sheet

Next