[Valkhala's Tears] Practice makes perfect (Venya)

An Akalak's devotion to physical prowess.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Favchean Hronis on September 20th, 2013, 4:56 pm

Favchean slows to a stop, looking out over the beach, a soft almost satisfied smile covers his lips before he turns to the smaller Konti woman. His arm that had allowed him to guide her moves, slipping out from beneath her hand, but attempting to capture the delicate appendage in a warm enclosure of his hand before he allows it to drop.

"Perhaps." He rumbles with amusement in his tones, "Perhaps the warriors you encountered were even more shy then you appear to be my lady." Again there is that teasing light in his pale blue eyes, dancing beneath thick black lashes against the dark green of his skin. He finds her interesting, and he finds her slight quietness to be something explored and figured out. Perhaps even broken into a more free individual. It makes no never mind, he might never speak to this one again but he enjoys the banter.

His teasing quality does not quite leave when she speaks of his exercises, but it is muted as he stares at her for a little while before answering. "Those are simple steps in a very simple dagger defense. Designed to exercise the body, the mind, the stamina, and the endurance." A knowing smile is given, but the teasing light does not return. "I am not the best one to explain though, if you would indeed like to learn more I could summon him."
Favchean Common|Chealvan Common
Favchean Tukant|Chealvan Tukant
Favchean Kontinese|Chealvan Kontinese
Favchean Hronis
AKA: Chealvan

Words: 188481
Joined roleplay: September 10th, 2013, 5:27 pm
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Venya on September 27th, 2013, 3:35 am

They stop, the Akalak's eyes looking over the beach as the Konti looks over at him for a few brief ticks before looking towards the ocean once more. She feels as his larger, warm hand briefly catches hers before it is allowed to fall to her side. She sneaks a look over to him out of the side of her eye. A bit of annoyance in her gaze before it flickers back over to the ocean. She listens to his words before trying hard not to laugh for she has never been called shy before. Though, since being in Riverfall it seems as though she has a little bit more on the shy side than she might normally be in a place she is more comfortable in familiar in.

"I am not really all that shy," she says, looking over him, "Not normally anyway. Just seems to be that since arriving here I have been tending to be a little more on that side of things. Getting used to everything and all." She shrugs her shoulders before giving a small smirk and looking towards the beach once more. She feels shy. Her stomach seems to twist with every new place and her mind comes up with every reason why she should not do what she is going to do. Getting used to a city so very different from her past has not been exactly the easiest thing in the world.

Caught up in her own loop of thought, Venya almost doesn't notice that Favchean is speaking once more. The only thing she fully catches is the end of what he says. His words confusing her, she turns to face him. Her eyebrows knit in confusion as she looks at him. "What do you mean summon him? Who is him?" she asks, not remembering seeing another person on this beach. "While I find it could be interesting to know more, first I would like it very much if this other him to be explained to me." Once she is finished speaking, she stares at him, crossing her arms as she waits for an answer.
Venya
Player

Words: 27009
Joined roleplay: March 19th, 2013, 4:37 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Favchean Hronis on September 27th, 2013, 5:18 am

Favchean hesitates, his hands coming to hook into the tops of his pants, not really moving but the set of his body almost seems as if at any moment he might bounce on his heels. A sort of underlying energy that is projected in the slight tenseness of his muscles. If he noted the slight chill in the air he does not seem to notice as he stares down at the woman silently, almost as if he was weighing his words.

"We at Riverfall celebrate womanhood, and there is very little to fear here. But it is natural to shy away from the unknown." Another smile before he turns back toward the ocean. "I hope that you will find less reason to be so ..quiet." The last is said as an afterthought, slowly as one in deep thought would say. Of course these comments are mainly just to stretch out his having to explain himself, and that of the Akalak nature.

For those Konti who grew up in Riverfall, or had spent enough time in the city of the Akalak, the dark skinned warriors are not such an enigma, save those cerulean. However for those, Konti or other race, coming into Riverfall fresh and for whatever reason have not learned of the fierce warrior race, the extra additives to their nature can be..overwhelming. This is why though his parents were, and still are, happily married Favchean was raised primarily by his father until he came to a certain age. Though now, as an adult Akalak Favchean has complete control over his dual sides, it never ceases to be easy to explain.

Oh, he could just relinquish control over to his light brother, something that is always hard to do for he rarely gets to play. His light side would be annoyed at having to explain, which would be amusing. With a last grin, he bows once more at the waist, a deep flamboyant movement.

When he rose again, he had a distinctly annoyed expression on his face. Instead of the playful light in his pale eyes, a serious sombre expression raised and his lips turn down just slightly. "Wysar save me.." He rumbles in Tukant before turning back to the Konti woman. This time Favchean does not smile, there is little in the way of warmth, though there is a faint spark of familiarity.

"Forgive me Venya." He rumbles again, this time in common again. " There is no easy way to explain. The other ... him...that ...well I..spoke of is really myself." A sardonic, a little apologetic smile is given. "Akalak's are plagued with ..dual natures. A curse from our mother Akajia though our Father Wysar has give us discipline to control." His hands came out, palm up in a vaguely supplicant fashion. "We," with this word he brings one strong hand up to tap his brow to indicate both he and his dark brother, "share this body, we are one...but also two. He..is more skilled in small talk and play. I enjoy the quiet, so when an opportunity arises to allow him time to ..express himself, I take it. I keeps us..balanced. He was referring to the fact that I am the one that generally takes care of our body and it's physical needs. Such as the dagger dance I was doing." He pauses, watching the other with one brow raised, wondering if she was going to either disbelieve him, or fear him..or accept his explanation as poor as it was. It was difficult to explain to someone who had not experienced, even his own mother a Konti woman, could not fully understand.
Favchean Hronis

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Venya on September 30th, 2013, 4:28 am

The change is so sudden and obvious as the man before her's expression changes from being very friendly and playful to being almost annoyed and serious looking. This change is baffling. So very sudden and different that the Konti doesn't think one person could be doing it by themselves to trick her. Unless they were a really good actor. She listens as Favchean mutters something in a language she knows nothing of. Maybe the language of these large different colored men? She isn't sure.

Attention is caught when she hears the man's voice deepen and become very solemn. So very different from the friendly tone that was being used just ticks ago. Venya fixes her eyes on him, listening to the words he speaks in common. It is all very complicated to take in. Two natures. A curse from a what sounds like a goddess and the gift of balance from a god. Venya tilts her head just slightly to the side as she tries to grasp it. "So ... How I am understanding this is... there are two of you in that body? Like two people? Or is it the same person just with two very extreme personalities?" she looks up at his eyes, trying to figure this out. It is very hard to comprehend that it could be like two people in one body with different lives and actions. But what makes it harder to comprehend, is that they both seem to have the same name.

A sigh escapes Venya's lips. "So you both act very differently, enjoying different things and acting different ways. Sounds like two people merged into a body to me. As crazy as that sounds ..." She frowns slightly, looking towards the ocean. This is a lot to take in, but it is good information to know. She is sure she will run into more than one Akalak in their home city where she now lives. She nods slightly, turning back to face him. "Alright, while a lot to take in. It is so far fetched that I doubt anyone could come up with such a tale," she says, "However, what I find interesting is that you both go by the same name. Or don't you? Should I call you something different than I call him?" It seems like a valid question. If the two personalities are so very different, wouldn't they want to be recognized differently from one another? Makes sense in Venya's mind, but maybe not in his. She isn't sure, so she just waits for his answer as she looks at him with a slightly confused but calm expression.
Venya
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Favchean Hronis on September 30th, 2013, 4:48 am

Looking a bit chagrined, Favchean grunts gently when she first speaks. It is very difficult to explain, and honestly even the Akalak's themselves have just a solid guess on whether it is indeed two different people, or just multiple strong personalities. One brow raises, and the hand that had raised in supplication lifted fully to run along his tightly braided Mohawk that adorned his head. His fingers scratch at the shaved sides, idly noting that it was starting to bristle again and would soon be time to shave.

"It is a little of both. In some ways it is easy to describe as two distinct people in one body, but in other ways we are so entwined that sometimes the edges...blur." He grins, though even the grin was staid and controlled, it did soften his features from the stout rigid stone it seemed to be carved from. "I am fortunate, my dark brother and I are very distinct. Others are not so ..and the less distinct the more one side resents the other..." His voice trails off, an almost regretful tone in his voice. "If we fail to find balance, then we are..chaotic. It was easy for me because I can easily give up control to my dark brother in certain situations, and he does not resent when he is pushed back for he knows he will have his time."

Now he turns from the ocean to face her, not moving closer, but simply crossing his arms across his bare chest and taking a deep breath. "Some do go by different names, sometimes they find it easier to ...manage the balance. Myself, I find it just creates some confusion..." Something flickers beneath his pale eyes, perhaps a bit of resentment, but it was there and gone so fast that it might not even have been noticed. "We are one, anyone who deals in professional, personal, or simply random encounters with us must deal with the both of us. We are..aware of each other all the time. It is almost like watching an act on stage, except from the wings instead of from the audience."
Favchean Hronis

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Venya on October 5th, 2013, 1:09 am

It is all very interesting. The whole concept of two but practically one person intertwined into one body. It is intriguing and also a little disturbing. Not something fully understood yet not completely unknown either. All the Konti can really think at the moment is that she is quite happy she is the only one in her head. She does though continue to find it interesting that he prefers to go by one name for both sides of him. The sides are different so it seems as though it could be confusing for some people, like herself. However, it is his life and it does make sense. She can't help but smile slightly at his analogy. She finds it a bit amusing, even if it is meant to be taken seriously.

Nodding as she lets the small smile fade, she turns her attention back to the Akalak for while he was talking they had drifted over to the ocean once more. "I see," she says with a soft, thoughtful voice, "Makes sense. While maybe a bit confusing to someone like me, I can see where you are coming from. With the name thing I mean." She pauses, thinking a minute about whether or not that is what she wanted to say. Nodding she looks to the ground, her feet covered with sand now. "Anyway, you have explained now. Mind giving me a bit more knowledge? I wouldn't mind learning more about what you were doing earlier. The dagger exercise," she says, feeling it is time for a subject change and wanting to know more about this 'dagger defense', as the first side of Favchean put it.
Venya
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Favchean Hronis on October 5th, 2013, 2:21 pm

[framepic=http://images.nationalgeographic.com/wpf/media-live/photos/000/235/cache/ocean-reefs01-reef_23599_600x450.jpg]
His face softens slightly by the light smile he gives when she speaks. It was no easy thing to explain his racial distinctions, but it was also less easier to accept or even begin to understand. Might as well have a bird explain flight to a fish. The fish might understand one one level but the inability to experience it themselves will undoubtedly limit full understanding. He draws himself up to his full height, rolling his broad shoulders to stretch out the muscles before his hand falls to his waist once more to the sheathed simple dagger he kept there. His large hand grasps the hilt and brings it forth with a slight hiss as it clears the hard leather.

Favchean flips the blade around so that the handle faced her, and the blade rested safely against his arm, raising his hand toward offering her the weapon. "Take this for now, I will teach you the dagger dance. Hold the pointy end away from you." This last was said with a hint of amusement, one of the rare jokes the light brother makes. He waits patiently for the Konti to decide to take the dagger or not, speaking again while he does. "The first thing anyone who wishes to learn this exercise must do is to learn the weight of the dagger. Feel it's weight against your arm, in your hand, so that you can always compensate for movement. If you are intimately aware of the dagger's weight then any shift in movement will allow you to adjust, meaning less likely chance you will be separated from your weapon. This hold's true whether you are in pitched battle, or simply honing your reflexes such as I was this morning."
Favchean Hronis

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Venya on October 19th, 2013, 11:14 pm

He offers her the dagger. The Konti had not been expecting that. She looks at the dagger a chime, just gathering her small bit of surprise till his words register in her mind. She looks up at his face a minute, trying to decipher whether or not that was humor in his voice or something else. Deciding not to dwell on it to much, she carefully grabs the handle of the dagger outstretched to her. As he said, she holds the end away from her as she feels the unfamiliar weight in her hand and up her arm. The Konti's eyes drift over to the dagger as she takes in its details. The sharp edge of the blade, the feel of the hilt in her hand. She takes a moment to let herself fully feel its weight like he said before turning back to the Akalak next to her.

"Alright, now what shall I do?" she asks, her voice holding a sort of confident tone in it as her eyes turn back to the dagger. She doesn't want to not look at it for to long. That could lead to dropping it and she doesn't want to harm herself. She lets the book in her other hand fall down to the sand, finding it safer to just keep her attention on one thing and that would mean keeping it on the dagger in her other hand. Her eyes travel back up to the Akalak and she waits for his answer. Wondering how much he will teach her of this dance and whether or not she will be able to do what he shows her. She thinks she will be able to. How hard can it be to mimic what someone else is showing you? Yet, some small part of her doubts it is that easy and reminds her that she should pay attention. That maybe she will learn something instead of just allowing it to wash right through her.
Venya
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Favchean Hronis on October 20th, 2013, 12:55 am

Another smile is given, and Favchean slipped around the Konti agilely, his feet pushing into the sand leaving large prints that circled around her. He kneeled briefly to retrieve the book she had dropped, gently moving it back away from where their feet might land. Once this task is done he moved behind her, but did not touch her. "Once you feel the weight of the dagger, and let your hand know the grip of the hilt, we perfect our starting stance." His voice was low, the normal controlled pitch that he has practiced since he realized just how gravelly his tones can be.

"Turn so that your back is facing me. Keep your feet apart by at least two foot lengths, almost shoulder width apart." His own legs moved just as he had instructed, planting each into the sand, letting the warmth of the grains spread over his dark feet. "This would go easier if you trusted me to touch you, just to take your wrists, and move your arms the first few times. Otherwise I can do the pose, and you can try and mimic.." He waits patiently, knowing that some are unwilling to allow next-to-strange males take even the basic liberties, and having enough respect for the fairer gender to understand this.

Favchean Hronis

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Venya on November 1st, 2013, 5:32 pm

The Konti does as she is told, not focusing on the fact that he is behind her or that he touched her book. She is normally pretty paranoid about the heirloom. Such a little, but important thing in her life. A last link to those she has known and been around up until coming to Riverfall. It is something she doesn't want to loose or harm. The binding is already beginning to become worn out and loose. Pages have fallen out easily when it is opened, making it hard to trust anyone with it for fear that the pieces of paper will come out without whoever is noticing. Making them lost and most likely, never to be found. Favchean has just moved it though, right in her line of vision and she knows where it is. There is no danger, probably. Venya tries to keep her mind focused, feeling and learning the grip of the hilt in her hand. Once she thinks she has gotten it down, she does what else he tells her to.

He is already behind her so she doesn't have to move much to make sure her back is to him. She then moves her feet, making them almost shoulder width apart. The stance feels somewhat unnatural, but not uncomfortable. It is almost as if she has stood this way a hundred times but just never really focused on it like she is now. She nods simply to his next set of words. She realizes that probably doesn't tell him anything. It could mean that yes, he can touch her or yes she can mimic him. The Konti clears her throat, not used to someone actually requesting to do something as simply as move her wrists to get her to do something correctly. "I trust you to touch me," she tells him simply, [b]"As you said, it will be easier that way." She nods once more, holding her wrists in front of her as she waits for him to take and move them.
Venya
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

PreviousNext