Raiding in the North: Part I: A new recruit

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Postby Tsarvik Lonewind on September 17th, 2013, 9:40 pm

5th of Fall, 513

Tsarvik's chair creaked under him as he leaned back by pushing his muddy boots on the table. It was midday and was almost through with trading his Summer furs of Muskrat, Beaver, Rabbit and countless other aminals which roamed the snow capped Hills to the north of the Sea of Grass. Taking out his pipe and filling it with some scruff Tabbaco He began for a long wait. Scrapping a piece of flint with his knife the tabacco caught fire and slowly emitted a long winding stream of Aromatic smoke. TSarvik could feel the heat from the tabbaco as it bit his tounge with every draw and dried his mouth and covered his face in a thick blanket of smoke with every exhale. Tsarvik leaned his head back began to close his eyes for a short nap. But his moment of relaxation was cut short when a elderly man came up to his stand purse at the ready. Removing his foot from the table he sat up striaight and tried to buff out the scrapes of mud left by his boot.

"Hello young fellow I see you've got some rabbit hides for sale do you not" The old man said in a raspy tone as he motion towards the rabbit pelts hanging from a string. "Yes those are for sale as long as you got the coin." Tsarvik said standing up to retrieve the hides for the old man. Bringin back to the table the man gazed over them and felt the fur and leather of the skins. "Yes these will do very well I will give you 12 for the pair." The old man said opening his purse and producing a handful of silver coins. Tsarvik
Gazed at the money in the mans hand and quickly agreed to the offer "Aye it's a deal. ave a nice day." Tsarvik said taking the coins from the man and handing him the rabbit pelts. Sitting down once again to enjoy his smoke and newly earned money he began to wait once more for another customer.
Tsarvik Lonewind
Player

Words: 6274
Joined roleplay: August 24th, 2013, 11:55 pm
Race: Human, Drykas

Postby Colt on September 18th, 2013, 12:12 am

Shahar wasn’t one to fall victim to vanity, but neither did that mean he was without pride. Though he usually found Endrykas daunting, even on the best of days, he now walked with a quiet calmness, and perhaps there was just a little bit of smugness underneath his neutral expression. After all, it wasn’t every day that one managed to bring down a wild boar.

It’d been by pure chance that he’d come across the hoofprints in the dirt. Normally, he would have never attempted to pursue something so violent and volatile as a boar, but then again, it was not something he had ever tried to do before. To have succeeded… well, Shahar certainly felt more confident in his abilities than he had a year ago.

He approached a familiar shop-shelter wedged comfortably between what looked to be a fur stand and a bowyer. Within it were various carvings of bone and wood, some useful, some purely decorative. The man that tended the shelter spotted Shahar and brightened considerably, even cracking a weathered smile and the load on his back.

“Well, m’boy, y’seem to have brought me a fine prize, indeed. How many jabs’d it take to bring down that beast?”

Shahar shrugged, noncommittal, and eased the creature onto the ground. The Windheel family claimed ties to the Emerald clan, though they usually crafted more than they hunted. They specialized in the carving of bone and the tooling of leather, and so it was only Shahar’s largest kills that they were interested in. And with a boar this size, the shopkeeper was definitely interested.

“Ah,” the man said appreciatively, running a hand over the coarse fur. “Yes, a fine kill indeed. An’ hardly a scratch on him, too, ‘sides yer big gapin’ hole in the chest. Double the usual for this one, that sound like reason?”

Shahar nodded respectfully, thankfully, and the Windheel handed him the money with a hearty slap, shaking his hand for good measure. “Good,” he said, “an’ keep m’name in mind should you happen across anythin’ else this fine, would you?”

Of course, thank you.

The crowds suddenly seemed less intimidating when Shahar turned back to them. He took two steps towards the edge of Endrykas before his eye caught on the fur stand nearby. As a hunter, fur was not a particularly unusual thing for him to come across, but there was fur there that he’d never seen before. And he liked to consider himself well acquainted with the Sea of Grass.

Curiosity piqued, Shahar approached the stand. He gave no greeting to its keeper, but simply put out a hand to feel the thick and shiny one. The fur felt… strong, and maybe a little oily, but when he drew his hand away and rubbed his fingers together he felt no residue. He looked to the keeper and pointed at the beaver pelt.

What is this? he asked.
“Pavi” | Grassland Sign | “Common” | “Tukant” | Nura
Colt
Miss Communication

Words: 943625
Joined roleplay: August 8th, 2011, 6:38 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Advocate (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Tsarvik Lonewind on September 23rd, 2013, 12:40 am

Tsarvik looked up peering through the smoke of his pipe he saw a young man a little more than 20 years of age but he saw the lines of his face and the leathery skin of his hands and could tell he has been through more events than a normal man of his time.
Taking a draw of his pipe and blowing it out Tsarvik responded to the young man's question "That skin it's a beaver I believe interesting story behind it. I didn't hunt it got it from a group of Syliran Hunters who were dumb enough to travel into Lonewind Hunting territory. Damn foreigners put up quit the fight one of em slashed me right ere." Tsarvik lifted up the sleeve of his coat revealing a long twisting scar running down the length of his forearm.
" But I gave him his right to when I sent my spear through his eye." Tsarvik broke a small smirk as he membered the raid." Ah but a man like you wouldn't take interest in those things now would yah?" Tsarvik asked resting his elbow on the wooden table.
Tsarvik Lonewind
Player

Postby Colt on September 23rd, 2013, 2:12 am

The man called the pelt something Shahar did not know, then gave a smug smile to tell the story of its origin. The clanless hunter looked curiously at the scar on display, then looked to his own arms. Were those scars, the hundreds of ropy marks on his forearms? He shook himself of that thought; the marks on his hands were as much a part of him as his feet or his hair. Another might have wondered or puzzled, but Shahar simply let the thought go—they didn’t have a cause or an origin, and they didn’t need to. They just were.

The Drykas tilted his head at the “man like you.” A man like him? What did that mean?

Explain, Shahar said.
Colt
Miss Communication

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Advocate (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Tsarvik Lonewind on September 26th, 2013, 5:55 pm

"Oh nothing I am sure you've gotten your share of fight for your time. No doubt bout that. But have you ever really killed? eh not because they are trying to kill you but because they are a dangerous in the long run. I have done so, many times in fact did i do it without regret no but It was their payment for entering our lands and trying to take our culture." Tsarvik Said making quick angry puffs from his pipe as he spoke.Soon his nerves calmeed and he rested back in his chair."If you wish to see what it is like to do so perhaps you will be interested in joining me?"
Tsarvik Lonewind
Player

Postby Colt on September 26th, 2013, 6:15 pm

Shahar’s eyes remained fixed upon the man’s face, unwavering. He blinked in confusion. Had he really killed? As opposed to what, stunning? Did he mean hurting, without the intent to kill? No, that was wrong, Shahar would never do that. What was ‘real’ killing, then, that was different than unreal killing?

He gave a blank look as the man continued, talking about thieves that could somehow steal land or culture. Such things sounded impossible to the silent listener; land stayed in one spot, so how could it be stolen? Or culture? How could one steal culture unless they stole the entirety of Endrykas, which seemed just as silly as stealing land?

“Perhaps you will be interested in joining me?”

Join you in what? Shahar asked, utterly confused.
Colt
Miss Communication

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Advocate (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Tsarvik Lonewind on September 30th, 2013, 1:03 am

Tsarvik took another puff of his pipe and looked at the young man with deep piercing eyes."Simple one." Tsarvik thought as he sat up in his chair "Hmph! Havn't yah been listening to all I've been talking bout? I am asking you to join me. I'm asking you to ride with me and my comrades and push the forgieners out and let them know cyphrus is for the Drykas. Of course can't just focus on traveling bands that wonder into our territory as so we will run a few raids across the border just to let them know we mean business and we won't let none of them settle our land and divide our blood-lines." Tsarvik said as his voice broke up with pride of his homeland and his fellow drykas who lent their blood to keep their land free from any crown and let it be known the sea of grass and it's people respect no sovereignty.
Tsarvik Lonewind
Player

Postby Colt on September 30th, 2013, 4:19 am

Shahar listened to the man intently, his confusion slowly turning into contemplation. Was what this man said true? If there were foreigners occupying Drykas land, that was very serious, indeed. It didn’t occur to the hunter to question how, or why the Watch wasn’t taking care of it, or why this man would be asking him of all people to accompany him.

His posture shifted to one of uncertainty. The wind pounded behind the murmur of the city, weaving through him mind louder than ever before. What obligation did he have to Endrykas, especially in the face of a bigger obligation to the Drykas as a whole? And to be free--out there, in the grass, breathing the wind just like before, as he had in the spring with nothing to crush and constrict and deafen--to have that freedom, and doing a duty to his people without forcing himself to pass through the crowded tents day after day?

Could that be possible?

...when?
Colt
Miss Communication

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Advocate (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Tsarvik Lonewind on October 4th, 2013, 1:01 am

"Now thats the spirit! " TSarvik yelled standing up and grasping the man's hand in joy " You are a hero to the people wither they know it or not. But as for when we'll leave I recommend a few days maybe a week as i have other looking to go up too and they have business to deal with. Speaking of which if you got any business of that sort I reccomend getting i done soon I won't have no dilly dalliing though." Tsarvik said vigerously shaking the man hand. "But there is one matter we havn't covered ah course I never caught your name and i suspect nither did you get mine. It's Tsarvik Lonewind son of Otac Lonewind, and yours?" Tsarvik asked he wanted to know this man before he let him run off into the mountains and possibly get him killed.
Tsarvik Lonewind
Player

Postby Colt on October 10th, 2013, 4:32 am

“Now that’s the spirit!” the man boomed, startling Shahar considerably. The strange Drykas surged to his feet, clasping the silent hunter’s hand before it was possible to run away. Shahar attempted to backpedal and managed to pull his hand free, extreme wariness in his posture. He paused, however, to listen sourly to the words that continued to fall forth, and though he tucked the Tsarvik’s name away for future use he did not offer his own in return.

I leave, he said, bluntness suggesting that he meant right now. I hear you. I might come. But I do not promise.

And it was with an unceremonious farewell that Shahar returned to the bustling crowd, remembering why he really, really hated talking to strangers.
Colt
Miss Communication

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes