Closed [Smokesend Plantation] Bountiful Harvest (Fiora, Inari)

Nala directs some slaves in a tobacco harvest and meets the neighbors.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This lazy agricultural settlement rests on the swampy shores of the Middle Suvan at the delta of The Kenash River. The River's slow moving bayou waters have bred a different sort of people - rugged, cultured, and somewhat violent. Sprawling plantations of tobacco and cotton grow on the outskirts of the swamp in the rich Cyphrus soils, while the city itself curls around the bayou and spawns decadence and sins of all sorts. Life is slower in Kenash, but the lack of pace is made up for in the excesses of food and flesh in a city where drinking, debauchery, gambling, slavery, and overbearing plantation families dominate the landscape.

Moderator: Gossamer

[Smokesend Plantation] Bountiful Harvest (Fiora, Inari)

Postby Nalahessarajor on September 17th, 2013, 11:49 pm

10th Day of Autumn, 513 AV

Nalahessa stood in the fields, sweating tobacco lining the path she stood in on either side. It was nearly noon, and the heat of the day was just setting in despite the clouds rolling in overhead from the shore. She stood in her working cottons she’d bought a few days before so she could attend the harvest, watching over the slaves as they toiled in the fields of the Smokesend Plantation. It had been a long time since she’d been allowed by her mother to direct a harvest, and she wasn’t going to let the opportunity go to waste. She was going to make her mother proud.

She pondered for a moment why her mother had chosen this harvest instead of any of the others that had come before. Had it been the initial success of her business, the Iron Pipe? It had brought in quite a bit of money for the family, and her aunt was always bragging that they had the best tobacco shop in town. Or, perhaps Shahess had finally gotten tired of punishing her. It had been almost 30 years since she failed to bring back anything of value from her expedition into the wilds when she became an adult. She still despised the way she had wasted the slaves her mother had sent with her, and decided she had not yet forgiven herself for the transgression. If she couldn’t do that, there was no doubt her mother hadn’t. It must have been the success of the shop.

She spotted a slave that was cutting the stems too far from the root, losing some of the more tasty sap she used for flavoring and dying some of her wooden pipes. Nala’s lash unfurled, and she snapped it out to graze the slaves shoulder. “Don’t you dare ssskip sssome of the bessst partsss of the crop! I ussse the partsss near the root, you know! Cut lower! Let your blade hit the dirt before I bury you in it!” She lashed out again, snapping the lash across the slaves back, relishing the cry of pain that came from the scrawny man. Today she would disappoint no one.
Last edited by Nalahessarajor on September 19th, 2013, 7:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Nalahessarajor
Player

Words: 41406
Joined roleplay: August 20th, 2013, 6:18 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet

[Smokesend Plantation] Bountiful Harvest

Postby Fiora Radacke on September 18th, 2013, 1:04 pm

Fiora

Slumped over her horse's neck in dejection, Fiora rode directly south of Whiplash. She was not in any hurry so she let the horse plod at its own pace, not minding at all when it stopped to munch on a chunk of grass every now and then. Bice had told her she had to go to Smokesend's Tobacco Harvest today. The invitation from Nalahessarajor was not one to be ignored, but the rest of the family was too busy (or, Fiora suspected, too antisocial) to attend.

So, it was up to the Benshira to represent the Radackes, a duty she did not particularly relish, especially when it came to spending time with the Rajors. As a Dynasty, they were one of the more welcoming and tolerant to the Radackes, but Fiora was not sure that was a good thing, as she herself would never associate with the beastly family if she'd had a choice. Besides, the Rajors were Dhani and the other Dynasties regarded them with suspicion, caution, and more than a little fear. So, of course, her darling husband would send her here alone, to the dreaded snake people. Begrudgingly, she'd left the children with the weaver slaves, reminding herself she had to find a nanny slave as soon as possible.

She was already at the southern border of the Draer plantation despite her tendency to linger. Her horse headed around the tail end of Ulvic Lake and Fiora spotted the slaves laboring away in the tobacco fields. The tallest woman Fiora had ever seen was spurring the slaves to work, her long black hair rustling in the slight breeze.

Swallowing her nerves, Fiora prompted the horse into a canter until they had skirted much of the length of the field. The tall woman was extremely beautiful, even from a distance, but in a sinister, reptilian way as she stood with perfect posture, her bright eyes daring any slave to disobey her. Fiora immediately thought that it was a pity Bice had not come with her for he surely would have gotten along with the Rajor quite well.

"Greetings from Whiplash!" Fiora called as she neared the woman. "I am Fiora Radacke, wife of Bice, the brother of Mica. I have accepted your invitation to the harvest, though I regret the rest of my family is very busy today with our own crops. They all send their best." She did not want to get down from her horse, as she would feel extremely vulnerable, but she hoped that it wasn't seen as rude if she didn't.

Fiora Radacke
Weaving tales and tapestries

Words: 55884
Joined roleplay: September 10th, 2013, 12:36 am
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Nalahessarajor on September 18th, 2013, 3:43 pm

Nala heard the greetings from across the field, coming from a woman in beautiful embroidery, her features dotted with various jewels such as the large earrings that hung from each side of her head. The woman possessed childlike features that made it difficult to guess how old she was, though Nala had always had trouble guessing the ages of humans. Dhani aged differently than humans did and were much more long lived, so she had not been exposed to the signs of each human age. None the less, the woman confused her.

She had sent an invitation to the Radacke Dynasty at the Whiplash Plantation to watch the harvest with her and to try some of the new flavorful blends of tobacco she had been testing to sell in her shop. She had tried them herself and passed them around the family, but it was always good to get the opinion of an outsider.

Nalahessa quickly coiled her Symenestran Lash, slipping it around her waist like a belt with the flat edge against her clothes. Looking at her visitor, Fiora she had called herself, Nala felt somewhat under dressed. She was in working cottons while this woman wore colorful skirts and blouses with large beaded jewelry. She hissed at herself for not expecting such a thing, and resisted the urge to feel like she was being purposefully upstaged.

She sashayed towards the woman, who remained on her horse, meeting her eyes with a sharp smile. "Greetingsss, friend. My name isss Nalahessarajor, though many sssimply call me Nala." She offered a hand to the woman, expecting her to take it so she could be helped from her horse. "It isss unfortunate that the ressst of your family could not make it. I regret that they will be misssssing an opportunity many do not get, even between the Dynasssstiesss." Her serpentine accent drew out the 's' sounds, making it sound like she hissed in the middle of words. It was something Nala wasn't particularly proud of, as it gave her race away to any she spoke to and was difficult to disguise.

"Forgive me, but I do not know very much about you. I'm afraid I wasss absssent from your wedding to Bice."
Nalahessarajor
Player

Character sheet

Postby Fiora Radacke on September 19th, 2013, 1:43 am

Fiora

After shaking the Rajor's hand, Fiora reluctantly slipped down off her horse. She held the reins in her hands, wondering where to tie the horse up. So this was Nala herself, who stood at least at foot taller than Fiora herself. The woman's slurred S's made Fiora's arms break out with goosebumps. Or it could have been the look of that lash coiled on her hip. Fiora was sure it could be quite painful.

Nala sized up Fiora's outfit and the Benshira hoped it was appropriate. She didn't pay much attention to the current fashions in Kenash, normally wearing the colored blouses and embroidered skirts and robes that were seen on the other female members of her race. Perhaps, though, she should have worn something simpler. Shaking off her insecurities, Fiora looked into the woman's serpentine eyes.

"I'm very pleased to meet you, Nala," she said. "And thank you so much for the invitation. I'm certain my husband and his family will be upset for missing this harvest." Glancing out into the fields, Fiora let her eyes wander. It seemed that Nala had everything very well organized. The slaves were productive and the crop was being picked with speed.

"Oh," she responded finally, "our wedding was...years ago, and not a terribly big event. We have two young children, now." At the last sentence, her face brightened considerably. "I was born and raised in Yahebah," she continued. "I traveled here almost five years ago with my family. And met Bice," she said between her teeth.

"Are you native to Kenash?"

Fiora Radacke

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Nalahessarajor on September 19th, 2013, 2:58 am

Nala snapped twice and a human slave no older than twelve dashed up to the Dynasty women. “Sssee to it our friendsss horssse isss cared for,” she commanded sternly but without unnecessary harshness. The woman in her midst seemed gentle in her movements and demeanor and, while she did not wish to look weak in front of her guest, neither did she want to seem overtly cruel. Though she much enjoyed intimidating slaves, there was a time and place for it all.

A meek “Yes, milady,” was all that was heard from the girl as she led the horse off to the corral by the lake.

She smiled and nodded at Fiora’s comment. “They will missss all the fun I had planned for them. But it ssseemsss, inssstead, you have the fortune of partaking in their absssenccce.” She motioned for the woman to walk with her, going along the front of the house to the porch where she had set a number of chairs out. “Pleassse, sssit with me.”

She listened as the woman talked of her children, watched as her face brightened at their mention. She decided in that moment that she liked this human, as she seemed to value her family as much as Nala valued hers. Her smile was more genuine now, but did not lack the slight swaying movement she was used to making when she tried to be still. It only added to her serpentine features.

“You will have to tell me of the desssertsss of your people. I have heard little of them, and the world hasss alwaysss held wondersss for me.” She chuckled at the Benshiras next question, a stuttered hiss through closed teeth, lips curled into a smile. Her question made obvious how little she truly knew of the Rajors, or of Dhani in general. Her ignorance matched her appearance, her childlike eyes making her appear more innocent than any Dhani could hope to look.

“No, oh no. I wasss hatched far from here, but traveled with my mother when I wasss but a young hatchling. I grew up here, it isss true, but my neiccce isss the first of my family to be hatched here.”

She looked out at the fields from her seat on the porch, vigilantly eyeing her families slaves to make sure they were making quick and quality work of the tobacco crop. Today was the day she would begin her ascent to her mother’s favor once more. She would start with the crop, but the friendship of Bice’s wife could prove a great boon. Especially when she remembered that this was the woman that made such fine clothes in town.
Nalahessarajor
Player

Character sheet

[Smokesend Plantation] Bountiful Harvest (Fiora)

Postby Fiora Radacke on September 19th, 2013, 6:29 pm

Fiora

Watching her horse be led away made Fiora feel even more defenseless. Not only did this slippery tongued woman tower over her, but she had visions of Nala morphing into a giant snake and eating her alive before she would even be able to blink. The thought made her shudder but she followed the Rajor, albeit timidly, to the porch. There, she sat in one of the chairs, crossed her legs at the ankles, and spread her skirts out demurely.

Fiora knew little of the Dhani, except that they existed, and up until now, she hadn't actually been sure if they were a legend or not. She had heard that some lived in Eyktol, but if she had ever come across one, she hadn't known that she was in the presence of a Dhani, for it had either been in its human or snake form and she couldn't tell. That, or she forced herself not to think about it.

"The deserts are very hot, as you can imagine," Fiora started, answering Nala's request. "But it's not like a Kenash hot, no. It's much more...gritty, sandy." She laughed at herself, unable to quite describe her homeland. But the chuckle seemed to loosen something up in her shoulders and she felt a tiny bit more at ease. "Yahebah is a wonderful city, you really should visit sometime if you have the chance. Most Benshira are very pleasant and their language, Shiber, is the most beautiful to be sung." Here, Fiora dropped her eyes to her lap, lost in her memories for a moment. But, she was smiling, perhaps for the first time today.

And, if the Rajor woman had not struck out at her yet, it wasn't likely that she would now. Thus, Fiora decided that it really had just been a friendly invitation after all and not a serpent looking for its next meal. At least, she hoped not. "Likewise, you will have to tell me about the Dhani. You say you have been hatched?" she mused. "What is that like? I don't mean to pry, but I've never met anyone like you." Bringing her eyes up to Nala's own, Fiora started to feel a bit mesmerized by the golden color and the black slits. She moved her eyes to somewhere over the woman's shoulder, noticing that Nala swayed ever so slightly, even as she sat. What a strange creature, indeed.

Fiora Radacke

Character sheet
Plotnotes

[Smokesend Plantation] Bountiful Harvest (Fiora)

Postby Inari Lorak on September 20th, 2013, 6:49 am

Fall, Day 10, 513 AV

Inari fidgeted on the hard, wooden seat of the boat, ready to burst with worry. She had sent Pina alone to man the shop and felt guilty for allowing an eleven year old girl to ride by herself, but there were no other options. The severe breakfast she had attended not two or three bells before was mandatory, and now she was harassing the riverman every 5 or so chimes to please, please hurry, as she was very, horribly late.

Fortunately, river taxis were a bit faster than carriages and Inari managed to arrive at Smokesend nearly a bell after noon. She did not relish the idea of spending time with the Rajor, as their relations with the Loraks were strained at best, but a promise was a promise. Besides, she was not one to refuse trying something for the first time, and knew little next to nothing of tobacco or the Rajor.

By the time she had gingerly stepped out of the boat, paid the riverman, and hoisted her skirts up onto dry land, Inari was huffing and puffing at the trials of being a woman. Certainly, with all the walking one had to do around these parts, you'd think it would be more practical for everyone just to wear tunics and trousers.

"Fiora!" she beamed, waving as she caught sight of her friend in the distance. Beside the Benshiran stood a towering woman of exotic beauty and serpentine grace--most definitely one of the Rajor, and Inari felt a trill of excitement in spite of her fears. A chime or two later she was close enough for conversation at last, a bit out of breathe and sticky from the moist air but glad to have arrived all the same.

"So sorry I'm late,"she immediately gushed, still huffing from the excercise."Hello, Fi! And good afternoon, Lady Rajor of Smokesend. I am Inari Lorak, and I would be honored to know the name of our most esteemed hostess."

Unsure of whether she should shake hands, curtsy, or do none or all of the above, the Lorak simply bowed her head towards the Rajor woman, trying to appear as respectful as possible.

Lies and truths are but cogs in a wheel.
Inari Lorak
Carver by day, miscreant by night.

Words: 73400
Joined roleplay: September 3rd, 2013, 4:47 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Nalahessarajor on September 20th, 2013, 7:36 am

Nala hissed a chuckle. “I have been to the dessssert, onccce, though I remember very little of it. The air wasss more dry… and perhapsss made it ssseem cooler than it isss here.” She was astonished by her own memory of the place, bus distinctly remembered being wrapped around the neck of her mother along with her brother, slithering through the sands of Ahnatep and watching her buy various goods at the market. It was hear earliest memory, and she lost herself in it for a moment.

Fiora’s questions brought her out of her daze, and she shook herself off, giving a slight shiver. “My apologiesss, I can underssstand that Dhani are not often a conversssation among your people. You mussst think I’m terribly ssstrange, coming from an egg.” Despite her feeling completely at ease speaking about her people she found herself…blushing? It was an odd sensation, one she’d only felt in times of immense shame when her mother was scolding her. It was a sign of submission, and there hadn’t even been a fight!

The Dhani was further confused to see a woman, all dressed up with her skirts held high, dashing across the field and shouting out to Fiora. “What in the…oh.” In the excitement of the harvest and meeting Fiora she’d completely forgotten about her second invitee. She’d sent a letter to the Lorak plantation, hoping to start a more…accepting relationship between the two families. The Rajor recognized that the Lorak were on their way to the top, their ambition knew no bounds. This woman must have been the emissary they sent.

As the woman introduced herself, huffing and puffing from her dash across the yard, Nala rose, standing a good head taller than the Lorak woman. She straightened her back and looked down at her as she bowed, trying to seem powerful and in control. In a way, she was establishing that this was her place, that her rules reigned here and that the Rajor family was not to be tampered with. On the other, she was standing as the face of the entire Rajor plantation, and wanted both of her guests to know that they were safe here.

“Greetingsss, Inari. I am Nalahessssa, but I often shorten it to Nala for eassse of ussse.” She extended a hand to the woman, curling her lips into a snakelike grin. “Pleassse, sssit with usss,” she said, motioning to a seat on the other side of her, so she would sit between her guests.

She looked to Fiora. “I wasss unaware that you two knew each other. Interesssting that you two would be the onesss to respond to my invitation, no?” She hiss-laughed again, taking her seat and making fun of the politics and the odd coincidences that came with the event. She felt these women would not try anything, and so far she had been right. She simply hoped her good faith had not been misplaced. An angry Rajor was a sight many hoped to avoid seeing in their lifetimes.
Nalahessarajor
Player

Character sheet

Postby Fiora Radacke on September 23rd, 2013, 1:10 am

Fiora

Fiora was so surprised that Inari had actually come to the harvest, though she had written her friend to see if any of the Loraks had also been invited. When Inari came up to them, Fiora rose from her seat and kissed her friend's cheek, formally but warmly all the same. It wouldn't do for Nala to feel uncomfortable around the two of them since they were so close.

"Ari, it's so good to see you, as always," the Benshira said, squeezing the Vantha's hand. Turning to Nala, Fiora explained, "We have been friends for quite a few seasons now, as odd as that may seem. Inari and I both seem to be...different from the rest of our family members. It is nice to spend time with someone who truly understands you, yes?"

After she had sat back down and Inari had taken her seat, Fiora pivoted her head toward the Rajor woman again. "No, I don't think you're strange at all," she said, half apologizing, and bringing up the subject they had been on right before the Lorak's entrance. "There are so many wonderfully unique things in this world. I only was curious, that's all. Wondering what it must be like to hatch from an egg." She treated both of the other women with a friendly smile, feeling much less anxious now that Inari was here. In fact, for the first time today, Fiora was glad that Bice had sent her here. Nala seemed like a charming individual, if a little intimidating and if there was anyone in all of Kenash that could bring out the bright side of people, it was Inari for sure.

"Please, tell us about yourself and your family," Fiora prodded politely. "I'd love to learn more about the Dhani people, and the Rajors in particular. I'm certain you know that many of the other Dynasties are awed by you." She hadn't wanted to say 'absolutely terrified,' as she had been herself mere chimes ago. Yes, 'awed' was definitely a better choice of words.

Fiora Radacke

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Inari Lorak on September 23rd, 2013, 3:00 am

Inari stared up, noting the Rajor woman's scar and gulping involuntarily. She then took Nala's hand, not at all surprised by her firm grip. Once she and Fi had greeted each other as well, careful to maintain a polite formality, she took a seat beside Nala, smoothing her ruffled skirts as best she could.

She was still a little uneasy at being on Rajor territory, but found herself mesmerized all the same by the towering, serpentine woman beside her. Judging from their conversation, they had been speaking of her origins as a Dhani, a subject that fascinated Benshiran and Lorak alike. In that, Inari shared much in common with Fi; they were always eager to learn more of others, rather than the other way around, as most elites preferred.

She listened, trying to absorb as much as possible to catch up to speed. Hatched from an egg? How utterly, wondrously bizarre! Inari tried to imagine being a tiny thing in a tiny egg...at first, in her mind, the egg was only the size of that of a chicken's. Then she amended it to something larger, since the Dhani were not tiny in the least, especially not in their snake forms, which she had never, ever seen. But gods, how quickly they must grow to gain such stature as Nala's! The Lorak was used to being a bit taller than most women, but a Dhani was a different story altogether.

As her mind drifted back and forth between listening and imagining, her eyes suddenly lit up at Fi's request.
"Ohh, yes, please do tell us more! Awed, most certainly, and sufficiently mystified as well. It's high time we learned something of one another, politics be damned."

She propped her chin her hand, eagerly anticipating the tales about to be unfolded.

Lies and truths are but cogs in a wheel.
Inari Lorak
Carver by day, miscreant by night.

Words: 73400
Joined roleplay: September 3rd, 2013, 4:47 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next