Completed Teach me (Inari)

Two Lorak girls teach each other

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This lazy agricultural settlement rests on the swampy shores of the Middle Suvan at the delta of The Kenash River. The River's slow moving bayou waters have bred a different sort of people - rugged, cultured, and somewhat violent. Sprawling plantations of tobacco and cotton grow on the outskirts of the swamp in the rich Cyphrus soils, while the city itself curls around the bayou and spawns decadence and sins of all sorts. Life is slower in Kenash, but the lack of pace is made up for in the excesses of food and flesh in a city where drinking, debauchery, gambling, slavery, and overbearing plantation families dominate the landscape.

Moderator: Gossamer

Teach me (Inari)

Postby Eyasia Lorak on September 24th, 2013, 7:52 pm

30th of Fall, 513AV

Eyasia did not feel like looking her best. She never did when she was just walking around the Plantation. Instead of light make up, she put on no make up. Her hair was a tangled mess too and when the house slaves suggested turning on her bath water, she declined. Today will ne her sluggish day. She had no one to impress, no reason to dress her best and although she wanted to fit in with the Lorak family, they were family Al they should be able to accept her slobby look of the day.

She was still in her chemise but she wore a cloak over it. Note to self, buy a silk robe. As she exited her room and started heading downstairs, she had Dyanna still following, with Papai and the dynamic duo(Whiskers and Henry) following her. They passed through the halls and as soon as they walked into the kitchen one of the slaves took a jar of fresh jam out, Eyasia snatched it."Thank you." She grinned at the slave before leaving out another door.

It was a matter of time before she was standing on the porch staring at the plantation fields. Men on horses watched carefully, didn't take their eyes off the slaves once and that intimidated a lot of them. She watched one crumble under the pressure and just had to act,"No, no! The slave is probably dehydrated." She lied, it was fall it shouldn't be that hot, but she just hated seeing them get whipped. It was like she could feel it too.

The man was surprised to hear her, kind of shock by the sound of get voice and he nodded."Hey you!" He screamed toward another slave who seemed to be tending to the garden." Get this slave a drink will ya?"

OOCSorry, couldn't think of much right now, Inari.
Last edited by Eyasia Lorak on October 1st, 2013, 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You’ve got the wrong girl
Cause I got your number
I don'tdon’t know what kind of spell
you think I’m underThis ain't a feel-good, "Everything's fine" sing-along

"A wise woman once told me that
War is very common. Especially among women,
And I just stepped into the biggest war zone."
Eyasia Lorak
Exotic Beauty and Newest to the Lorak Family

Words: 30155
Joined roleplay: August 30th, 2013, 3:23 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Teach me (Inari)

Postby Inari Lorak on September 24th, 2013, 10:27 pm

Fall, Day 30, 513 AV

"I can't believe him! The nerve!"

Inari hurled a half finished carving of an elephant man at the wall. It gave a sickening, satisfying smack before clattering to the floor, a tusk snapping free as it landed and spun across the marble.

Heavy, angry breaths spilled from her chest. She made to grab another carving, then caught Pina's terrified expression and thought better of it. Mercifully, she lowered the wooden mask, staring at its laughing visage with a scowl, her lips drawn tight in barely suppressed fury. It was a horrible habit of her's, chucking her own creations whenever her wrath became too unmanageable. More often than not, things ended up broken and maimed, though her aim did become increasingly more deadly. Already, there was a hair's worth of a crack on the wall where the unfortunate faces of her carvings found themselves repeatedly flying into, spared only when their creator's anger was entirely spent. She could use pillows or something, to be sure, but they just didn't offer the same, violent impact that she had come to so relish.

Inari sighed, setting the mask down and sinking onto her bed, her shoulders sagging in defeat and exhaustion. She had spent far too many nights running about town, trying to prepare to the best of her ability for this tricky scheme of theirs. It was beginning to wear her thin, though she was loathe to admit it.

Sensing that her mistress had calmed at last, Pina ran and fetched her a cool towel and cup of warm tea. The girl patted Inari's forehead gently as the Lorak sipped steamy, liquidy goodness, almost forgetting her frustrations entirely.

Such a perceptive girl, she is. She'll not stay a slave forever, I'll make sure of it, even if it's the last thing I do.

Inari took the towel from Pina and wrapped a fond arm around the girl, resting a flushed cheek on the slave's soft, brown head.
"My temper is terrible, I know. But, it's just so trying sometimes. I understand, a bit, and yet I can't help but wonder..."

Something out the window caught her attention, sending her train of thought completely astray. It was her newly found aunt, standing outside on a porch overlooking the plantation slaves. Eyasia usually presented herself quite stunningly, but today she had a sort of disheveled air about her, her hair all tangled and a jam of jar held curiously in her hands.

Inari had known, for quite some time, the trysts her aunt had shared with Rowan. In fact, she knew of many such trysts between many, many other women, the list growing long and longer by the day. It was hard, really, not to know. Between her midnight gatherings, nightly misadventures, and general attempts to infiltrate the Rujaro, there wasn't much that got past her. At least, not when it came to gossip and rumor.

Alas, she had long since given up on being angry for her childhood menace's philandering, more or less. His inability to take her seriously, however, was a different matter altogether. Here she was, losing sleep and sanity trying to bring this plan to fruition, and he was out there doing what?

Petching falling in love with one pretty girl while he's eying the next, that's what, she mentally seethed. Spurred by anxiety and an inability to sleep, Inari decided it would be best to speak to her aunt. Perhaps, it would clear up any misconceptions she harbored and allow her some bloody peace.

A chime later she was stepping onto the porch, gathering the shawl around her, more for comfort than practicality. She made sure her footsteps were audible, but not too loud so as not to startle her aunt.
"Good morning, Eyasia. What a lovely, um, scene of productivity, this here is. Mind if I join you?"
Last edited by Inari Lorak on October 1st, 2013, 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lies and truths are but cogs in a wheel.
Inari Lorak
Carver by day, miscreant by night.

Words: 73400
Joined roleplay: September 3rd, 2013, 4:47 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Teach me (Inari)

Postby Eyasia Lorak on September 25th, 2013, 12:30 am

She took a spoonful of jam and only took just a taste of it like she always did. She never finished the jam and if it were her she would save it, but everytime the cooks take her plate, they would just waste the perfect jam. She might take this one and leave it on her stand incase she grew hungry during the night. The girl always had more of an appetite during the night than she did the early morning. Eyasia still watched the seen until a familiar voice came from behind her. Although they've only seen each other once, Eyasia has already claimed Inari as her favorite. Not only was she pretty, Inari is humble too. She almost reminded the pale skin girl of her self except she was more elegant and surreal for a vantha. And Eyasia has met a lot of Vanthas in Kenash, Slaves and freeborns.

"A lovely morning it is, but not as lovely as you Miss Inari." Eyasia would give her a hug and a soft kiss on the cheek but she was dirty and probably unpleasantly smelly, so she kept her distance."I don't mind at all." Eyasia leaned back on the wall still watching the slaves work. She glanced quickly at Inari from the corner of her than back at the slaves.

"Having a slave is something," She paused and took Dyanna's hand she patted it softly,"Although they're suppose to be workers I feel like they have to be protected." After lettings go of Dyanna's hand the dhani seemed to almost snicker at Eyasia's opinion. She was given to her to protect the Lorak woman from all dangers.

"What do you think Inari? You've been around them long..." It was to stir up a nice conversation. There was a lot Eyasia wanted to ask her but didn't want to just surprise her with multiple questions she had. It was easier to work her way into it, starting with probably a soft subject like slaves then deep into the Lorak's bloodline. The Lorak's race to be specific, what they originated from.
Cause I got your number

Eyasia Lorak

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Teach me (Inari)

Postby Inari Lorak on September 25th, 2013, 7:22 pm

Inari hid a small smile at the way Eyasia patted her slave's hand. More and more, she was finding that many Dynasty individuals were less than eager to abuse or mistreat their slaves, contrary to what most common folk might think. Granted, Lorana's half-sister was still a bit new to this lifestyle, but it bode well to know cruelty wasn't just an inherent part of their blood.

From the corner of her eye, she studied her technical aunt a bit, noting how little Eyasia cared today of her appearance. Inari sometimes wished she had the courage to act similarly during the day, but her upbringing was too deeply ingrained in her. Any mischief or retaliation had to be indulged under the cover of night--and, more often than not, a disguise as well. All the Dynasties had eyes and ears in every nook and cranny of the city, and the last thing the Lorak desired was unwanted attention.

"What do you think Inari? You've been around them long..."

Eyasia's question led her back to the present, and she thought for a moment before answering.
"Of slaves? Well...as long as I can remember, it's been this way. Us at the top, them at the bottom. Personally, I think we could do without the whips and chains, but then again their treatment varies so widely between the different Dynasties that there seems no viable way to regulate it. I can only take consolation in the fact that we Loraks keep them happier than most others and are no more fond of violence than the slaves themselves."

Inari wasn't sure what compelled her to say her next words, but she was too weary to care. "I went to Avanthal once, when I was very little. It was beautiful there. Deathly cold, yes, but beautiful all the same. There were endless stretches of pure, white snow, and from every chimney curled merry smoke of cooking feasts and weaving stories around the fire."

Almost as an afterthought, she murmured, "And there are no slaves, there. Everyone is useful. Everyone is free."
Last edited by Inari Lorak on October 1st, 2013, 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Inari Lorak

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Teach me (Inari)

Postby Eyasia Lorak on September 25th, 2013, 7:51 pm

Eyasia could not help but to frown. A kind slave known as Yucie brought out two chairs, her belly was full but that did not stop her job to serve as a house slave. Eyasia sat down on the velvet colored chair, she pulled her legs up and brought them close to her chest. She rested her chin on her,knees. She thought about Avanthal... but nothing seem to pop up. She thought about Vanthas, only the Lorak history went through her head. She could only be claimed as a vantha because of her unique eye color. It did not change like Lorena's or any other Vantha. It just remained the color that it is now.

She hesitated on a questions that she wanted to ask being afraid she might be embarassed. Oh, Eyasia you should know about your own kind! She thought to herself as she glanced at the young girl who's always with Inari. The young girl did not look like a slave, or like the other slave children. She was... clean. Personal slaves are to present themselves much better than other slaves but she looked as if she was really a part of this family."No slaves... It must be a beautiful sight. The people there must be incredibly handsome or beautiful." Eyasia looked back at the fields but than she put the cap back on her jar and handed it to Dyanna.

"Could you take this back to the room?" As soon as she put her feet down, Papai jumped into her lap in a pretty cotton dress full of colors and bows. Eyasia pet the dog happily as she came to a conclusion."So... How would you describe a true Vantha? What makes a Vantha a Vantha?" She came out kind of bluntly just to act like she already knew this stuff.

But the poor thing knew nothing about the race. She met very few Vanthas in kenash too, most of them only being visitors and very knew to the city. The vanthas who were slaves seemed to be brainwashed and couldn't even remember their past, Eyasia would call them descents of the race because although they were full blooded Vanthas, they were bred in kenash as slaves and raised as slaves.
Cause I got your number

Eyasia Lorak

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Teach me (Inari)

Postby Inari Lorak on September 26th, 2013, 1:28 am

"Ahh, yes, the natives of Avanthal are something to behold. Brilliant eyes that shift through a whole rainbow of colors with their moods, hair that gleams just like the luminous auroras snaking through their forever wintry skies. You and I only have an ounce of their variety, which may seem a bit of shame. But, between you and me, I'm not sure I'd want my emotions plain as daylight for all to see. Not here in Kenash, anyhow. Plus, true Vanthas tend to be rather short."

A sudden noise of moving furniture interrupted her as a slave with a rounded belly brought them seats. Inari excepted graciously and then shooed Yucie away, insisting the pregnant woman get some rest. The very thought of babies reminded Inari far too much of Fi, and it just wouldn't do to have an expecting slave wait on them.

Meanwhile, Pina had pulled up a fluffy pillow and plopped down beside her mistress, sensing a story was brewing. Inari waited till everyone had nestled nice and comfy into their seats before continuing again, her hand idly brushing Pina's wispy hair.

"Hmm, as to what makes a Vantha a Vantha...well, to begin with, they are a hardy lot. It's perpetually freezing in Avanthal, so everyone is made useful and efficient, starting from when they are but babes. It only makes sense, since it's just as easy for a child there to get cuts and scrapes as it is for them to fall through thin ice and sink, frozen, into dark, unknown depths."

Pina shivered under the gentle strokes, most likely imagining what it would feel to be frozen. Thankfully, nothing in Kenash ever even came close to the biting, stinging temperatures of the north to offer a remotely close enough comparison.

"You'd think, what with their constant struggle against the ice and snow, that their lives would be hard and miserable. Yet, they possess one of the richest, most colorful cultures one can find in Mizahar. The families are divided into holds, sort of like our Dynasties, except without the class distinction. There are eight, one for each trade: Skyglow for art, Snowsong for music, Frostfawn for animal husbandry, Iceglaze for architecture, Whitevane for medicine, Coolwater for all things water related, and Winterflame for culinary arts. I think their holds are fine proof of how incredibly good the Vanthas are at surviving; not only have they succeeded in sustaining life in what would be instant death for us, they have also far surpassed many other civilizations in advancements and education.

Inari almost lost herself in her passion, until she remembered who had taught her most of what she knew. A string of sudden, unexpected memories filled her heart with pain. Such aspects of life in Avanthal--all their wondrous forms of ingenuity and craftsmanship--were what had drawn Granddaddy out of Kenash in his old, frail age. It was also what kept him there until his last days, and though he seemed filled with nothing but joy till the very end, Inari felt an old sting of grief and resentment. He had made her go back without him. He had made her abandon him.

"In any case...I guess what I'm saying is, being a Vantha means being a Vantha; I don't think we quite qualify, but there's nothing stopping us should we someday manage to travel to Avanthal. What about you? What do you know of your other half?"
Last edited by Inari Lorak on October 1st, 2013, 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Inari Lorak

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Teach me (Inari)

Postby Eyasia Lorak on September 26th, 2013, 10:42 pm

She never imagined Avanthal being so... magnificent. She never thought it would sound so beautiful because of the fact of the Loraks moving out here to kenash. If it was so beautiful, why leave the what sounded like a perfect community? A Wonderland that most people would dream of living in. She had so many questions for her niece but decided to keep them to herself for now.

She had to agree, she was happy not to inherit the eye changing with mood color, or whatever they called it. Eyasia never showed her emotions, unless she was upset. Anger is not easy to control. She loves her original eye color and didn't want it to change."Wow."She said once Inari finished.

Eyasia slouched in her chair and looked back at the fields. This wasn't apart of the Vantha culture, where did they get this idea? She thought to herself as she studied the slaves farming technique. It was silent for just a moment until Inari asked a questions of her own. Eyasia laughed as she stroked the top of Papai head.

"Oh that half..."She continued her laughed as she thought about what she heard from her mother and other symenestras." I don't think I can call myself a dra. Although I speak the language good, there's nothing else about me that's link to that cultural." Dyanna came back with a blanket, she handed it to Eyasia who gave her an appreciative nod.

"First you should know of my mom's insecurities as one. Her father was a criminal, and the reason my mother was kicked out of a lot of cities. When she came to Kenash, she hid anything linked to her symenstra culture. People only knew her for singing and she wanted to keep it that way. My mother didn't even want to socialize with other Symenestras which is how-"

Eyasia cut herself off and looked at Inari wide eyed. She whipped her head back to Tue field and cleared her throat."Anyways, from the travelers who come and go, I've learned how unique the Symenestras are. They're skilled in acrobatics, and have the ability to dispense venom." She paused to think about the race a little more.

"They're beautiful in my eyes. They have lovely body forms and face structures. The Symenestra are skilled in fighting and some weapons too. I sadly know nothing about the city but kind of wish I did."
Cause I got your number

Eyasia Lorak

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Teach me (Inari)

Postby Inari Lorak on September 27th, 2013, 11:13 pm

"Hmm, have you gotten a chance to look around the library yet? Perhaps we could spend some time there and learn more of our ancestors. It has thousands of books, maps, and what have you; I'm sure it must contain something worth looking into, though I've more or less dug out everything pertaining to Avanthal..."

Inari tapped her chin thoughtfully, realizing they must not be the only ones wondering about their partial heritages. From what little she had learned over the years of her parents, she knew that her father, being a frequent traveler, was of full Vantha blood. It was even hinted he may have been born in Avanthal itself, and only ended up Kenash, falling in love with a Lorak, after countless seasons spent adventuring from one city to another.

Perhaps this was why Inari had a tad stronger of a gleam in her hair and eyes, and where she got her outlandish thirst for adventure from. Perhaps, it was yet another reason she could not stay. She balked, though, at the idea, however tantalizing it seemed at the moment. There was still much unfinished business to attend to here, and too many people she held dear.

Speaking of which, she had a death party to prepare for! How could she have so easily forgotten? Oh, right. That's why. All this planning and fretting over infiltrating the Rujaro had gotten her thoroughly tangled in unpleasantries. The party would be a welcome respite, and she knew just the person to help her pick out a new dress for both her and Fi, and perhaps their new Dhani friend Nala as well.

"Say, auntie, didn't you mention something about owning a clothing store in town? You see, there's this death party my friends and I have been invited to, and we need something dramatic to wear...what do you think? Got anything in mind?"

Then, realizing Eyasia may very well not feel up to going into town in her current state, she hastily added, "We could set a date aside for it, of course, if you'd rather take a peek in the library instead. I wouldn't fault you for it; I'm kind of intrigued at the moment myself about the Symenestra."
Last edited by Inari Lorak on October 1st, 2013, 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Inari Lorak

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Teach me (Inari)

Postby Eyasia Lorak on September 30th, 2013, 10:11 pm

"This place is so big I haven't got the chance!" Eyasia laughed as she smoothed out the lap dog's dress."But I will, hopefully you saved some knowledge on Avanthal for me... you seem to devour the important information like a delicious dessert."

She was simply teasing her niece. She seemed to know a lot and Eyasia wanted to know just as much as her about their long gone heritage. The Loraks were definitely not vanthas at heart, but simple kenashians who adapted to the swamp more then the cold. It was good though. The same way she felt about being half symenestra is the same way she'll feel about being part Vantha. Clueless, and the complete opposite of prideful.

When you know nothing about your heritage, what is there to be proud of? But she'll explore the library. Not just for her heritage but for skills. Her sewing needs some improving and so does her magic. They have to have a book about shielding. It seems like a very important magic to learn at this point if Eyasia wanted to protect herself and others.

Inari's questions knocked Eyasia out if her thoughts and all she could do is smile."Funeral dresses, I have a lot in mind!" As she got up to run towards her left for the door Dyanna's tall body structure seem to stop her. The Lorak woman was almost angered to see her exotic fabric in a pile in the girls hands."Oh Dyanna what have you-"

On the encounter of the fabric shifting around, she stopped. What was in her frabric? A tender sandy blonde curl stuck out of the fabric and she couldn't help but laugh."Tempest?" She giggled a bit, but that stopped once she saw two furry heads stick out of it too."So I guess you were all involved!" Her hand reached in to pulled out pull out Henry and Whisker, it wasn't long before Tempest stuck his head out and looked around, he showed his baby teeth as he grinned at everyone.

"Actually tonight I was going in to finish a few silk dress. You and your friend can come in than."Eyasia's back was to Inari as she shook her head.

Cause I got your number

Eyasia Lorak

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Teach me (Inari)

Postby Inari Lorak on October 1st, 2013, 9:13 pm

Inari grinned, her mind already spinning with what Eyasia might have in store for them. There was no point in trying to have Nala blend it, so it would have to be something bold and daring for the Dhani. And Fi? Hmm, wouldn't hurt for her friend to be bit daring either; they ought to make the most of her one oppression-free night anyhow, and that meant being entitled to turn a few heads.

Well, that settles it, then, Inari decided. She would have to enter with a bang as well; it just wouldn't do to be left out.

"Splendid! I'll bring them over tonight then to your shop and see what goodies you have in store for us. And don't worry about any materials concerning Avanthal--I'll have someone bring over some of my personal collection to you later and you can peruse them to your heart's content."

Suddenly, the resonant donging of a bell rang through the air, signaling that it was now nearly midday. The yellow sun was already hung high up in the sky and many of the slaves shirtless beneath the growing heat.

Inari leaped from her chair, remembering she had promised to meet her friends at The Velvet Ear in less than a bell. Fortunately, Whitesnake sat close enough to the city for her to walk the distance to her shop without much trouble, but she decided to take a carriage all the same, just to be safe. Pina had already scampered away to call a driver and ready her mistress's things, much to Inari's relief. Honestly, where would she even be without that psychic assistant of her's?

"I hate to leave you so soon, Eyasia, but I'm afraid I have an appointment to make. Please, feel free to ask for my books on Vantha heritage anytime, and don't be a stranger. Oh, I can't wait to finally know what your lovely dresses look like tonight. See you then!"

With that, she kissed her aunt fondly on the cheek, hugged her gently, and hiked up her skirts in a very unladylike manner as she pelted down the stairs two at a time. Inari stuffed herself and Pina in the carriage, then they were off, speeding down the winding path, their heads filled with thoughts of cold, white snow and sensational, black ball gowns.

Inari Lorak

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next