[Taylani's Scrapbook] Taylani's randomness

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Taylani on October 14th, 2013, 5:20 pm

Oh. :D Wow, now I gotta go find a pin to stick into my head before it gets too overly-inflated :) Thanks :D
Taylani
Captivated

Words: 541241
Joined roleplay: September 7th, 2013, 4:41 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Taylani on October 14th, 2013, 7:28 pm

Happy Dance time.

So my oldest daughter has turned 14. It's been a while since I have seen 14 but I remember it as a very ...annoying time so I have been struggling to try and make her entrance into HS and full blown teenager-dom as easy as possible. Thus its been a lot of "letting" go on my part. It doesn't help that she also suffers from ADHD and has tested well into the Autistic spectrum so she has social function problems. However I have managed to step back, and I just got a call from her school.

She had to do her yearly IEP, and she tested on her grade average in all of her school areas so they are going to start transitioning her full time into regular classes. She is in regular classes for all except Math and Languages, but now she will be transitioning. Fortunately it's not going to be an over night boom your in there, but a lengthy period to allow her to adjust. This is a happy day here :)
Taylani
Captivated

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

[Taylani's Scrapbook] My Daddy

Postby Taylani on October 15th, 2013, 12:42 pm

Few things in life can leave me speechless, fewer still can remove my ability to write. Because for me writing is leaving my mental and physical state to create a fictional world to explore. Its my outlet. However this morning man, my sister messaged me on Facebook. Someone had posted a picture of my fathers gravestone and a small memorial. Wow. Its amazing, I have lived now more then half my life without him. He passed when I was 2 months shy of my 16th birthday, and now I am 33 years old. It's amazing how hard one can still grieve over a loss that old.

Sat here for thirty minutes crying almost as hard as I did they day he died. Fortunately for me this week is fall break so I don't have to wake the kidlets up and deal with their questions lol. But I tell you, I am so thankful that this lady posted his gravestone, as I haven't been able to visit since I moved from Kentucky in 97.
Taylani
Captivated

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Font Madness[Taylani's Scrapbook]

Postby Taylani on October 17th, 2013, 2:14 am

Ok two guesses what this rant is about? If you guessed Fonts, your wrong...ok no your not wrong. Fonts can at the same time be super pretty and super annoying. I have always loved the script fonts, always ever since I was introduced to something brand spanking new Microsoft Word when I was 14 (yes I am old shut it!). However...even at 14 I realized that script was hard to read. When your trying to read more then just a sentence or two in it, it can be head twirling. Combine it with color backgrounds and fonts and it gets to where my eyes cross.

Looking at a post in script is beautiful, unless your trying to read it. Now I have no skill what so ever with BBC code box codes or anything like that. I beg the resident artists who have that talent for my codes (thanks all responsible!). So I can't offer suggestions on how to make script more legible, except maybe larger font more spaces between words and Black font on white background, and even then its iffy. My suggestion use something like Comic Sans. Its kind of flowery without being script. I get wanting a super feminine font, I wish I could use script it is hugely pretty. Perhaps it is just me that finds it frustratingly hard to read script fonts.

ooo a challenge, I challenge you oh great graphic artist people. Find a script font that is legible! I suddenly want to use script font >.>
Taylani
Captivated

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Shout out to threading partners[Taylani's Scrapbook]

Postby Taylani on October 17th, 2013, 3:04 am

I just wanted to also give a shout out to my Endrykas threading partners. Omgosh it has been so great this last month playing Taylani. I have been able to explore so many different sides of her and really get her going. Each and every thread partner has had a hand in fleshing Taylani out.

Fallan has been extraordinarily patient with my plotting ways, and my rapid fire posting habits. He sells himself short but gosh he is such an expansive writer that I know that I wouldn't have learned half so much about Taylani without him.

Endrykas is awesome! If you don't have a PC in Endrykas, your missing out! ;)
Taylani
Captivated

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Fallan Windchaser on October 17th, 2013, 4:24 pm

Lol thank you, you have managed to push a character that was without purpose into a whole new realm.

And where would we be without your plotting? You have woven together a surprising number of players into a common tapestry, which is quite something to be proud of. :)

I don't think that any of the hip youngsters here are going to admit to using Comic Sans - it's so yesterday, don't you know?
Fallan Windchaser
Rider in the dark

Words: 231014
Joined roleplay: August 2nd, 2009, 12:46 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1

Postby Taylani on October 17th, 2013, 4:27 pm

Pffft Comic Sans is pretty and legible. I stand by my opinion...no matter how decrepit it makes me sound :P

Plotting ...and plotting. Its a disease it really is, especially when I find myself plotting for characters that are not even my own >.> lol.
Taylani
Captivated

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

The Curse of a Multi-tasking Mind.[Taylani's Scrapbook]

Postby Taylani on October 24th, 2013, 3:02 pm

So, ever since I was a child I have had a mind that won't shut off. It just will not be quiet, and what is worse is it is not particularly BRIGHT so I end up thinking random silly thoughts. You would think if you couldn't get your brain to shut up then you might be able to solve riddles and be a great philosopher..not so. Instead you end up with stupid arguments with yourself about what you should have said fifteen years ago in a random conversation. Pointless drivel. This is why I suffer a form of Insomnia called Delayed sleep. It's because if I am not completely dead on my feet I will keep myself awake with these things. Think a billion home movies, and each one replayed nightly with directors cut comments!

I suppose that if I had been born in the late 90's early 2000's I would definitely have been diagnosed with ADHD, or some other attention disorder. But I wasn't, I was born in a time when children like myself that couldn't stay focused on a single task was labeled as lazy and with no ambition since we struggled finishing homework that took longer then a few minutes etc. So I have learned to cope with my stupid brain bouncing around and learn self-help mechanisms that to this day are rather second nature. It helped, it did once I matured and was able to try and figure out answers and fix-its I did much better in school and I found ways to make sure I finished what I started.

The biggest "cure" was multi-tasking. Finding out that I am pretty good at doing multiple things at once helped me so much because I was able to do two or three things at one time, thus making it more difficult for me to get sidetracked with the current thought train that threatens to take my attention. That is also a curse though, because now I find it even more difficult to do just one thing at a time. This is why I am in love with Mizahar because it really gives me something to focus my brain on while I am doing other things. Dishes, laundry, vacuuming, all get done a lot easier when I have something to chew over. So...yay, thanks Mizaharians!
Taylani
Captivated

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Taylani on October 30th, 2013, 7:26 am

So I am sitting here at 2:20 am, insomnia strikes. Took my sleeping meds that I use when it gets really bad but still waiting for them to kick in. I am also not wanting to write solo's until Friday, trying to keep all the ideas in my head there, but I find myself bored and once more having conversations in my head about conversations long over with. The joys of being a delayed sleeper.

So, I decided to share some thoughts that randomly go through my head. This is definitely going to be a post about randomness. I am currently reading the Wheel of Time series again. I stopped when Robert Jordan passed because I was afraid that the author who took his notes and finished the series would be a pale shadow to him. After being assured that they were I decided to pick up the series. I started from Book 1 to refresh my memory....

And man am I stunned at how much I dislike almost all of Jordan's female characters. Oh my gosh, I want to throttle them half the time. I had forgotten that they all, every last one, come off as bullies and manipulative people. I am not sure if that is how Jordan intended it, or if maybe he had some female issues he needed to work on. But I am just floored. I am usually all in for the female heroine. When I read them before I was in my teens and I remember back then thinking they were abrasive but now I am just..shaking my head. You know a series is good when you are so into the characters that you start criticizing and obsessing over their flaws.
Taylani
Captivated

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Taylani on October 31st, 2013, 3:55 pm

Sorry for the placeholder status, just wanted to be able to use the template function as easier for what I am in the middle of doing else site with the copy feature :)

Ok so Nanowrimo has gotten me thinking about word count. I keep flashing back to my AP English III teacher Mr. Jones (who, btw kept telling me I have diarrhea of the comma teach a grammar course and I would have fixed it! but anyway that is rant and this isn't about rantiness) and his lectures about Charles Dickens. In good old Charlie's age authors were paid by the word. This is why their novels were so...word heavy. I mean don't get me wrong A Christmas Carol was a classic, but it was hefty to read.

There is a fine line between Over-description and just right description. I, for one, think that I tend to walk the line between Under-description and just right more then Over, but Nanowrimo kind of promotes Dickens-age theory doesnt it. Just write words. Words, words, words, it doesn't really help with the parts that I have trouble with. I have no problems slapping words down on paper. All of my college professors can attest to that, I can make a 100 word paragraph stretch into a 500 word paragraph that really doesn't say any more then the 100 word paragraph, but met word minimums.

I understand the goal is to just get people writing, but there is much more to writing then just being...wordy. I think they need to come up with a world-wide Editing month..perhaps in December, so that we can go back and spend the month editing what we wrote during Nanowrimo :D

Of course it very well could be just me that needs to start seriously editing. lol.
Taylani
Captivated

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

PreviousNext