[Taylani's Scrapbook] Taylani's randomness

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Gossamer on November 6th, 2013, 6:29 pm

I used to play a Jewelcrafter as seriously as I play my healer, only on another site. So that means I have like a TON of JC stuff laying around. I knew nothing about the craft when I started playing a JC too.

I have a ton of info on techniques in Jewelcrafting for the JC article I have written but haven't actually finalized and posted to the site. I have some of it up, but its horribly incomplete at the moment. If you remind me, by this weekend I'll post some of them up for you or I can share some of my links to personal favorite sites on working with gems as a jeweler. I'm not sure, however, how much of it you can do in Endrykas out of a tent, because most techniques in JC require a serious jewel forge and at least a stormgem driven solder iron. But you might be able to do something from them to get out of your JC funk.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Taylani on November 6th, 2013, 6:39 pm

That would be utterly awesomeness Jen. I find more techniques on dagger crafting (for Favchean) then I do on jewel crafting..which is kind of disturbing on one hand lol. No hurries though, I been noticing your on a roll with your healery person don't want to break the flow :D
Taylani
Captivated

Words: 541241
Joined roleplay: September 7th, 2013, 4:41 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Gossamer on November 6th, 2013, 6:46 pm

There is actually a TON of stuff out there on jewelcrafting. You just need to know the lingo.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Taylani on November 6th, 2013, 6:49 pm

That is what I figured, I just have to find the right combination of words. "How to craft a ring" and "Jewel crafting" and the general ones aren't working well. I might actually just research Jewelry Terminology and use those terms to search. Sweet thanks for the ideas :)
Taylani
Captivated

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Fallan Windchaser on November 6th, 2013, 9:12 pm

I was puzzled how you could have run out of things to write on jewel crafting and then I looked at the lore.... Hmmm....

Now, not having stalked your jewel crafting threads I'm not sure what you've got to. Have you done the four C's yet? Next step is to google each of the terms in that rather incomplete write up. Lots of stuff and lots of youtube videos to watch too. Silversmithing techniques, and copper etc, jewel setting etc. You'd have to check the historical context of some of it as I have my doubts that silver wax stuff I see so much of is very old.

Goss is your best source, but you should be able to find enough in the mean time to keep you going.

Fallan Windchaser
Rider in the dark

Words: 231014
Joined roleplay: August 2nd, 2009, 12:46 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1

Postby Taylani on November 6th, 2013, 9:14 pm

One thing I am learning about writing these insane amount of solo threads is I am enjoying really exploring Taylani's inner thoughts. I did the journal thing but I don't know, the act of describing specific actions helps to trigger thoughts that I don't think I would have came up with being in Taylani's head otherwise.

Of course I could just be weird like that, but its helping me really get to know Taylani a lot better. I can't decide if I am more sympathetic towards her or if I am more annoyed with her aptitude for shuttng out reality and only seeing what she wants to see. Double edged sword there.

To Fallan: I have seen a lot of that but being in a Tent City I am having a hard time coming up with whether or not there is a place to smelt down ore and metals etc.

My JC threads have gone more Native American type jewelry, with beads, rope, a little bit of leather..that sort of thing. But I don't want to bother the graders in having to grade 40 solo's of Taylani braiding rope into beaded bracelets etc and so forth. I am still researching more Native American jewelry though because for whatever reason I get that sort in my head when I think of Endrykas jewelry .
Taylani
Captivated

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Taylani on November 7th, 2013, 11:10 pm

Ok so my fingers are sore, I have hit my personal goal of 40k words before Saturday (its Thursday now for me) and feeling pretty satisfied. I am enjoying Nano very much but I think this weekend I might slow down just to give myself a breather though it is rather fun seeing the word count rise rise rise.

That being said, due to a promise made to not plot for an entire season, Winter is going to be a nice calm time for Taylani unless someone else interjects some drama..but come spring -muahahahahaa- yes Nano has really started the gears turning.... :D
Taylani
Captivated

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Taylani on November 8th, 2013, 11:00 pm

Nanowrimo has gotten off to a huge start. However I am running into the idea that my word count is discouraging to people. So I am taking a break from massive writing this weekend. Once I hit the 50,000 I am going back to my pre-nano posting which, honestly is still really rapid but without me pushing 2 or 3 solo's a day it should bring my word count down to normal.

Nano is not really just about getting the highest word count, its being inspired to write. And if I am messing with people's inspiration to write I don't want to do that. Considering that I have issues that help me in my postiness. Mild agoraphobia being one of the biggest. I don't like to leave my house. Its mild so its not as if I WON'T, and I am not like in a tizzy when I do leave the house. I just prefer..not to. I have a Masters in secondary education, I hold teaching license in Oklahoma to teach HS Biology, Anatomy and Physiology and Chemistry yet I am a stay at home mom because I sincerely prefer to be at home. This aids in my ability to just write. I also have ADHD, and a severe hyper active brain that always has four plot lines going in any one moment, I use Mizahar to help focus some of these excessive ...thoughts. Thus again, more posts.

So don't let my word count discourage you. Don't let anyone's word count discourage you. IF my word count starts to discourage you just remember that to get that word count I am a borderline recluse with too much time on her hands.
Taylani
Captivated

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Sosicly Magnolia on November 9th, 2013, 3:44 am

You're word count makes me envious but not in an angry way just 'Gods I need to try harder'. More like friendly competition!

Other note: I feel your pain with the JewelCrafting :'( I will never understand why I let my PC choose that job but its a good frustrating to learn about it! If I find anything you might be interested in I'll link but it seems like Gossamer's got you covered :D
Sosicly Magnolia
Silence is Open to Misconception

Words: 175085
Joined roleplay: January 13th, 2013, 4:37 am
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Taylani on November 9th, 2013, 5:14 am

Most of what I have ran into isn't an angry sort of thing, just a discouraged thing and I don't want to do that to people. :)

I chose Jewelcrafting for Taylani because that is what I happened to make her mother and she needed a skill she could build on from her history since Dance and Song aren't as ...productive in providing income out in the tent city Endrykas. I purposefully wanted to make her completely out of her element.

That being said I didn't think I would have a hard time figure out Jewelcrafting that can be done from Endrykas without a forge of some sort. However I have been looking up Native American traditional jewelry and that has been a big source of inspiration.
Taylani
Captivated

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

PreviousNext