Closed Training in Company? [Assilsa Curare]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Known as the Celestial Seat, Nyka is a religious city in Northern Sylira. Ruled by four demigods and traversed by a large crevice, the monk-city is both mystical and dangerous. [Lore]

Training in Company? [Assilsa Curare]

Postby Shouta on October 16th, 2013, 4:44 am

The Thirty-First Day of Fall, 513 A.V.
Late Afternoon in the Warfields.

Repetition was the key to any great master. Of any art or profession, repetition made it familiar, made it second nature. Shouta repeated his movements with the kusarigama. He repeated them every day for five hours at least. And he failed too often for his liking. Not the simple stuff anymore. Every time he introduced a new technique to his repertoire, it took weeks to master. And then there was the intricate flowing of technique after technique. It was almost an entirely different art. So repetition was his best friend here in the Warfields.

The sun shone brightly in the afternoon sky. No cloud moved overhead, no promise of shade. Dust rose and clung to the disheveled trim of his simple robe as his blade flashed in the air. A light thudding accompanied every forceful impact the weapon made. His breathing had progressed to a light pant, almost silent except for the faintest hiss. No bird sang, nor any rodent. The world was still and lazy. It was that sort of day.

Shouta let the chain of his kusarigama slip loosely through his left hand while his right held a death grip on the fine handle of the bladed end. With a practiced flick of the wrist, he set upon the dummy across from him a loop meant for grappling. Failed.

“Petch!” Shouta cursed his laziness. He had not missed that simple opener in weeks! He refocused and tried again, grappling the dummy’s arm. Good enough. He quickly closed the distance, careful to keep the chain taut. The move depended on close range. Sliding into position in front of the dummy, Shouta threw three different blocks, randomly. Then he dropped his knees. Shooting up with all the power of his legs and core he attempted the Falling Crane Uppercut, using his kama instead of his fist in the strike.

He was pleased when the blade connected hard with the red paint under the wooden head. If left a deep gouge in the dummy. Surely a fatal wound for one less impervious than his old wooden nemesis. Ecstatic about the victory of martial accomplishment, Shouta rushed the second attempt.

His lack of focus made his movements choppy and chaotic. His strike was less than lethal, and off. “Petching wooden jester! You taunt me, make me the fool, eh?” Shouta pointed his kama at the dummy. There was no response. As if an afterthought, Shouta flung the weighted end of the kusarigama at the dummy. It struck the thing’s chest and left a tiny dent. Sometimes he was able to drain his training of all emotion, those were the best days.

But today was one of those days where he just rode the frustration like an unbroken stallion. He hoped he would not falter.
Shouta
Of the Crane and Fox

Words: 59205
Joined roleplay: January 27th, 2013, 10:11 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Assilsa Curare on October 16th, 2013, 11:11 am

The word was the place to train in acrobatics was the Warfield. Assilsa personally had never been on this side of town even after being in Nyka for so long. At first glance Assilsa wondered if she should have brought Sayren with her, even she had to admit it all the people training made her uneasy, it had something to do with the weapons.

Assilsa planned to train in acrobatics to help her better with her hunting however she still brought her whip in case she found someone who had knowledge of its skill set. Her cotton clothes soft against her transparent like skin, being what she was Assilsa could feel the eyes of those around her following her every move, luckily she kept her whip firmly wrapped around her leg beneath her breeches otherwise they would be worried about more.

Skipping though the war field Assilsa watched all around her, she was still considered a threat a minor one; however the monk still held her under strong surveillance. One step wrong and she was a goner. After a bell of wandering around the warfield Assilsa still managed to get lost and return to the same place she had started, where a monk was training with an odd weapon. Assilsa couldn’t help but stare.

Last edited by Assilsa Curare on October 18th, 2013, 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Assilsa Curare
There is no hunting like the hunting of man,

Words: 124440
Joined roleplay: May 21st, 2013, 2:43 am
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1)

Postby Shouta on October 16th, 2013, 4:51 pm

After a few more repetitions of the Falling Crane Uppercut, the youthful monk of Uphis decided he was on the verge of mastering it. Or at least becoming comfortable with it. He had been neglecting the weighted end of his weapon and needed to practice with that as well.

So Shouta began to pace slowly around the dummy, swinging the weight through the air and occasionally sending it in an aerial assault on the wooden combatant. It would smash off a limb sometimes, or crash against the torso, sending the dummy shuddering. Sometimes he’d hit the dusty ground beneath the dummy, which was not always a horrible thing. To break a foot, or in the least, off balance and opponent was a good thing.

He faltered when his deep purple eyes flickered up to see a pale figure watching him. Now, the Warfields be no means were a place of solitude. But generally the monks who trained here on the regular, like Shouta, politely ignored each other. But this girl, she looked to be barely a woman, was standing there, staring. Clad in linen, she clearly was not a monk. Her black hair framed a somewhat delicate face that was entirely unfamiliar to Shouta. He decided she was watching him for a reason, so the Ethaefal gathered his chained weapon about him and looped it around his neck like some oversized necklace.

“What do you need, Ma’am?” He asked, neither kindly or harshly. The deep purple of his eyes turned a pale grey. He saw now, as he approached, her thin skin and pale complexion. Veins were even visible in some areas, like tiny riverbeds of darkness on a desert of pearly white. She was clearly not from here.
Shouta
Of the Crane and Fox

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Assilsa Curare on October 17th, 2013, 11:26 am

She had been caught staring at a monk, her eyes widening in shock. Assilsa looked around innocently, she hadn’t meant to be staring or well being caught.

“oh! I didn’t mean to stare! I uh… want to train in acrobatics! Yeah that was it! However I got terribly lost…”

Tucking in her cotton shirt into her black breaches, Assilsa attempted to look casual, which was odd for her. Nothing about Assilsa was ‘casual’ she was long limbed gawky, teenager in a world alone, having to hunt for herself made her slightly awkward in social circumstances.

“I can actually do some cool things that I learnt in Ravok”

Assilsa knew she was making a fool of herself however she honestly didn’t care, she was here to train and train she will. Bending over Assilsa unwrapped the whip from around her thigh and smiled politely, Assilsa knew a few tricks that could impress people. Taking a small step back Assilsa put her arms above her head and closed her eyes, projection herself forward Assilsa felt her feet left the ground and for moments she felt thought she was flying. Soon the rough dusty ground connected with her palms, using the small hooks in her hands Assilsa kept herself upright and opened her eyes to look back at the monk.

“Once I managed to stay like this for two bells”

Straitening her legs Assilsa what she liked to call air walking, something she had only attempted once before Assilsa began to lift on hand and put one hand forward, swaying unsteadily Assilsa worried she would fall. Yet she managed, smiling satisfactory she slowly began to lift the other attempting to walk with her hands.
[/indent]

Assilsa Curare

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1)

Postby Shouta on October 17th, 2013, 6:45 pm

ImageThe girl’s lack of self confidence, while being common for females at her age, was a surprise for Shouta. He was used to monks throwing their confidence at each other in the hopes of a confrontation. After he realized she was clearly not a monk, and clearly not much of a threat either, he began to relax and soften his composure.

“I can actually do some cool things that I learned in Ravok.” She had said to him. At this he raised his eyebrows. A look of polite interest was marred by an air of amusement. What could this girl do that he had not seen?

Then she began the particular movements of a hand stand. Her slight struggle with the act was not as intriguing as the confidence with which she did her stunt. Speaking she was a stuttering nervous little girl, but when she performed she was an acrobat. Shouta felt himself gain a bit of respect for the girl.

“That is, actually, quite impressive. Your core strength must be very good, little girl.” He was careful to pay her a complement. He didn’t want her thinking he was disrespectful of those who train to better themselves. “I also need core strength for that I do. I am Shouta of the Sharp Blades, what is your name?” He gently ran his fingertips over the chain of his kusarigama.
Shouta
Of the Crane and Fox

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Assilsa Curare on October 18th, 2013, 2:50 am

As her arms began to shake Assilsa folded her legs closer to her body, when the monk mentioned the core strength Assilsa couldn’t help but feel as though he was talking down to her he seemed older however he only looked a few years into his twenties. Unless he wasn’t human, the monk didn’t look anything like a non-human she had seen before however he did have the same coloured eyes as some Symenestra back home. Slowly lowering herself so that her feet could touch the ground Assilsa started the process of stretching.

“By the… standards of my Race… sir I am a woman… and nowhere near little, Assilsa Curare”

Assilsa stood straight for a moment to note the height of the monk, he was considerably taller than herself, not letting that intimidate her Assilsa slowly spread her legs to do the splits, she had never managed to go all the way down but came close to it multiple times.

“Shouta… That’s an odd name… actually that is why… I uh stopped to watch… I rarely see a weapon such as that.”

Assilsa Curare

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1)

Postby Shouta on October 18th, 2013, 3:11 am

Shouta ignored her comment about not being little, save to notice her tone. So the girl had a backbone! But she was rather diminutive, no matter how she denied it. His eyes shifted to a light purple as he pulled the weapon from around his shoulders. “Ah yes, the kusarigama. My style is a rare one, but deadly.” Shouta was more than happy to talk about, and demonstrate, one of his deepest passions.

He spun the kama wide in front of him, catching the chain with his foot periodically. When he caught it, he used his foot to reverse the momentum and send it orbiting the other way. The air sang softly through the metallic links of the chain as he swung. “Dangerous from up close,” he let his grip relax on the reigns of his blade at the perfect moment. It cut across the open space and buried itself in the wooden frame of his dummy. “…And afar.”

After regaining the blade he began his circuit again. Sending the weight to break fictitious bone, or the blade to cut phony throats, he glanced over at Assilsa to see if she was watching. “It is more a dance than anything else, really. The Dance of the Crane and Fox. And I have been practicing for a while now.”

He stopped and faced the Symenestra. Her interest in his passion had lightened his mood. Perhaps he should socialize with the general populous more often?
Shouta
Of the Crane and Fox

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Assilsa Curare on October 18th, 2013, 3:40 am

Assilsa was impressed by his weapon, however preferred her own weapon, with its many uses and beauty. The skill that was needed to have his skill would be in the expert range, Assilsa was sure about that.
She watched in silence as Shouta showed off to her with his overly large weapon, Assilsa wanted to train not watch. After a small while he finally turned back to her. Assilsa nodded and picked up her Lash.

“I prefer this weapon, long range small range, not deadly unless I want to it to be…”

Assilsa grabbed the knife like cord in her fingers allowing it to catch the light and show exactly how sharp it was, moving one of her fingers Assilsa purposely sliced one of her fingers, with a slight sting the lash easily sliced through the pad of her finger. At first it was just a flap of skin, but only for a short while before it started to gush blood.

“Its… uh very useful”

Assilsa Curare

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Artist (1)

Postby Shouta on October 18th, 2013, 4:33 am

Had she meant to cut herself with the whip? Shouta was impressed with the quality of the weapon. Although he did have a bias, since such weapons were used by his rivals, the Monks of Skerr. But could Assilsa Curare make pain with it? He was eager to see.

The Vantha’s eyes shifted yet again, from light purple to a vivid green and he stepped away from the dummy. “Well, let’s see what you can do then. A weapon is like an arm, useless without the wielder.” He waved a hand at the scratched and dented dummy, inviting the girl to test her ability.

Shouta was not an overtly cocky individual. Granted he had some arrogance from constantly having to prove himself and striving for perfection, but he was reasonably sure she would not be skilled enough to surprise the monk. He had seen some of the finest warriors botch a whip. Of course, he had never used one either, so he reminded himself to refrain from judgement.

“You know, the monks of Skerr are all competent with the whip, though I have rarely seen them kill with one” He reminded her, perhaps she was related to some harvest monk, as Shouta liked to call them. Such a weapon could be easily deflected or grappled, leaving the wielder helpless if not careful. “How long have you been in Nyka?”
Shouta
Of the Crane and Fox

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Donor (1)

Postby Assilsa Curare on October 24th, 2013, 1:32 am

This man was arrogant and a know it all, he knew nothing of this ‘whip’ if he hadn’t of been a monk Assilsa would of voiced her opinion. Silently she began to swing the lash griping the bone handle.

“Im not human”

Flinging the lash forward it connected with the wooden dummies shoulder, a loud crack was heard and a small chip of wood flicked off the dummy.

“Nor am I related to any monk, however I am related to Priestess of Viratas”

Turning to face the arrogant Shouta Assilsa decided to add one more point

“This is a lash not a whip”

Assilsa Curare

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes