Completed Dead Philosophy [Silkwater Lake]

Maybe the dead could teach the living... about life.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Stretching northward along the coastline of the Suvan Sea, the Cobalt Mountains are the home of the Bronze Wood, numerous ruins, and creatures both strange and fantastical.

Dead Philosophy [Silkwater Lake]

Postby Noaru on October 26th, 2013, 8:55 pm

Fall 19, 513 A.V.
Nightfall in The Colbalt Mountains

A hunter sat on a log in front of an open flame, his body was tired from yet another unsuccessful hunt in the wilds. The stressed man frowned at his situation, as light from the dancing flames was captured by his dull green eyes in the dark. Bill “The hunter” was this young man’s name—being simple and easy to remember. Bill was an outdoors type of man, he lived by the wild and cooked the animals he killed but lately, he hasn’t been able to hunt like he used to. A moth flusters pass his face, its small wing touches his nose and causes him to sneeze, snapping the poor man out of his lonesome daze.

Bill looks up towards the sky and grins at the sparkling jewels that vacated this black cosmos. Yes, these were the same stars he gazed upon twenty years ago—unchanging, forever beautiful diamonds in the sky. He lowers his head and looks to his left and sees his trusty crossbow leaning against his broadsword then he looks to his right, where an old horse saddle remained. Bill places his right hand onto the saddle and a sudden tear falls from his eye. The outdoors man’s pride was overtaken by his emotions—this saddle belonged to an age old friend: a lost and long gone companion.

“I’m so sorry girl. I should have taken you with me that day. ”

Bill wipes the tears from his eyes but they continued to flow. These tiny droplets filled with sadness and regret, fall to the earth and soak his boots like shattered pieces of a soul. The man cries softly in the dark, he knows not to cry loudly in the woods, as wild predators lurked around these parts and looked for signs of weakness in likely prey. A cold wind brushes against the sad man’s skin and Bill reaches inside his bag, takes out a fur blanket and wraps it around him. The warmth of the fur blanket soothed the cold on the outside but could not sooth the icy hold of despair on the inside. Bill was at his wits end, he could not take this cold anymore.

“I’ll be meeting you soon Lhex.”

Bill obscured by his hurt and woe could not see the darkness thickening around him. The starlight overhead seemed to dim and rays of the moon were being obscure by the shadows. The air held the freezing touch of winter and the atmosphere became heavy as though had turned against the environment. Bill exhaled and noticed his breath in the air that’s when he notices the unnatural change in the environment, it sets him on edge and he carefully reaches for his broadsword. A pocket of this darkness swirls and gathers on the opposite side of the fire; black tendrils of soulmist collected and swayed like flames until it all took on a human appearance.

Bill stands to his feet, allowing his blanket to fall onto the ground as he prepares himself for the beast capable of causing this abnormality. He turns around and notices a cloaked figure sitting on a log on the opposite side of the fire. Bill could feel the difference between the cloaked figure and him—Bill was reluctant to move or speak. The cloaked figured looks upwards and stares into Bills dull-green eyes with its dark-crimson serpent-like eyes. The hunter could not understand what he was observing, was this being human?

Do not be alarmed, human. ”

The spirit said with a calm tone of voice.

Last edited by Noaru on November 21st, 2013, 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noaru
The grave is silent...

Words: 261739
Joined roleplay: May 29th, 2012, 6:17 pm
Race: Ghost
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Noaru on October 28th, 2013, 9:51 pm

Dead Philosophy

Time was still for Bill, as the air frozen around him and the world fell silent. What was he seeing? This thing, holding a human form and yet not human was sitting across him—casual like that of a friend. Bill calms his spirits, as a hunter, he was use to tense situations with animals. However, he was not familiar with the supernatural or dead of any nature: a man who stayed away from magic, he was not one to disturb his djed by manipulating it and putting his very soul at risk. No, he did not like magic but he nor did he hate it—he couldn’t comprehend it.

“Welcome to my camp. I would offer you something but I’m not familiar with what you...enjoy.”

The hunter quickly adapts to the spirts presence. Bill took the strangers word, if he meant no harm then he didn't. Noaru could see the hunter’s confidence. The hunter trusted his words, something he had not seen many souls accomplish. The spirit extends a tendril of soulmist, wraps it around a piece of wood and then throws the wooden fragment into the fire. The flames greedily consume the wood, increasing the power of the fire, for it to burn a little longer. Bill seems to appreciate this, as he sits back down and relaxes with his new camp-fire companion.

“So, what brings you to my camp fire this night, friend?”

The hunter casually asked the spirit.

I noticed that you were crying and wanted to know what was ailing you.

There were strange noises around the camp site. In the darkness, shadowy figures moved outside of the camp fires light. Noaru was aware of them, long before they started moving. Bill was going to die tonight, if Noaru had decided to ignore Bill. The spirit visited Bill for others reasons, he needed a weapon and he was sure that Mr. Bill here had one he could use. A deep growl penetrates the darkness before complete silence takes hold; it was now that Bill became aware of them. The hunter looks into Noaru's eyes and understands what the entity was actually doing—trying to warn him.

“Well, my friend. I'm doing just fine, as you can see.”

Bill slowly reaches for his crossbow and prepares himself for the ensuing consequences.

Noaru
The grave is silent...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Noaru on November 21st, 2013, 11:35 pm

Dead Philosophy

There these beasts were in the dark with eyes as fire, glowing with the intent to kill, ravage and devour. These fur coated beasts crouched on all fours, they waited for the right moment to strike. When that fire which was the only reliable source of light—would run dry and then only then would they make their approach. A stifling fierceness had overtaken their hearts, they hungered and drooled at the thought of Bill’s warm flesh dangling from their teeth and his soothing blood quenching their seemingly endless thrust. Bill, the human, could see only three of these beasts lingering beyond the brightness of the light. However, as a hunter, his instincts told him that there were many and more.

Noaru bathed in silence, he was curious as to what Bill’s next action would be. The spirit knew he couldn’t fool himself; he knew what the human planned to do and would help him accomplish it. Noaru did not desire for the human to die. Bill wielded sadness, sadness similar to his own despair. A kindred soul Bill was to Noaru and the spirit wanted to preserve it. He would not relinquish a beginning bond to beasts that would pursue a man in his lowest moment in life. The spirit extends a tendril of soulmist and takes hold of a ten inch nail resting near the fire. The object was warm due to being so close to the hungry flame.

Noaru looked towards the young soul beside him, Bill. The man had a focused set of eyes, eyes that were quite different from the one’s he had seen before. Noaru from that point on knew that this man did not allow his emotions to overcome him in moments of peril. The spirit would have offered to posses this man but lacked the purpose to do so. A soul, who was truly courageous or good at heart, could not be touched or harmed by him. That was Noaru’s code, his rule that he has followed and has continued to do so for thousands of years.

A rule that should anybody gain knowledge of, along with his true name, would be able to control the ancient spirit with an iron fist. Noaru worried about this, as there were some spiritists so powerful, so deceptive and persuasive that they’d manipulate and command all his doings. A beast, one of the wolves launches itself from the forest. Bill readies his crossbow, raises it to chin height, pulls the trigger and fires the bolt towards the wolf. The wolf with extraordinary flexibility and speed avoids the bolt as it attempts to close the distance between it and Bill.

Noaru quickly spun his body around and uses the centrifugal force, along with his power, to fling the nail forward. The spirit left a tendril of soulmist attached to the nail as it travels towards the beast. The wolf notices the nail flying towards him and jumps to his left. Noaru jerks back on the long tendril of soulmist and watches as the nail suddenly changes direction and hits its mark.

“Hah! That’s the way!”

Bill shouted. He quickly places another bolt into his crossbow and fires at the wolf. The wolf, suffering with a large crucifixion nail in his eye, could not avoid the crossbows bolt. A loud thud resonates in the forest and Bill, including Noaru was left alone. The alpha wolf called back his pack before they could all attack together. The large male wolf feared the well-being of his pack mates and retreats before anymore blood was shed. Bill steps towards the dead wolf and pulls his crossbow bolt from out of the creatures head. He takes the nail Noaru threw out of the beast’s left eye and tosses it to the spirit.

“Lhex has smiled upon us this day, my friend.”

I believe so but this Lhex, who is he?

“Lhex is the keeper of fate. I will be meeting him soon.”

Bill places a fresh bolt into his crossbow and points the weapon to his head. The hunter almost succeeds in pulling the trigger but Noaru appears beside him and lays a finger on his trigger finger. Bill feels a cold jolt of pain shoot through his body as the finger he was going to pull the crossbows trigger with becomes numb. Bill throws the crossbow and falls to his knees with tears streaming from his eyes.

“My friend. I have nothing else to live for. The things I used to enjoy, now only bring me. My faithful companion, my kelvic; she’s gone because I couldn’t save her from these troubles. I shouldn’t live.”

Noaru stood before the sad man, knowing the full magnitude of his pain. He too had lost someone so dear to him that even now, he cannot accept his death. The spirit places a hand on Bill’s clothing and watched as the hunter looked towards him. Noaru gave him a nod and patted his shoulder. Then Noaru spoke a few simple words.

The world has three familiar L’s; life, love and loss. I wasn’t graced with love or living life but loss, loss was greatest thing I’ve held up until now. I cannot guarantee that you will find my words encouraging or inspiring. However, as a being that has never experienced mortal life. I can tell you this— that one you’ve loved so much would have never permitted you to die in such an undesirable fashion. I’m certain she would have stopped and encourage you live on… to keep the bond until you both meet again in your next lifetimes.

Bill was silent and his tears ceased, he lowered his head and told Noaru thank you. Bill stood tall in front of Noaru and smiled at the spirit. He reached into his bag and hands Noaru two black crucifixion nails. Bill calls them bolts, as they can impale and cut like a bolt of lightning. Noaru nods, knowing that his work was done; he takes the nails and levitates into forest—where he disappears into the dark. Bill was thankful of the spirits help; he couldn’t believe it took something that was dead, or un-living to encourage him to tread onwards.

Noaru
The grave is silent...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Taylani on November 29th, 2013, 7:58 pm

XP Award!

Noaru:

XP Award:
  • +1 materialization
  • +2 soul mist projection

Lore:
  • Bill: A Kindred soul
  • Example 2

Notes:Your font on your CS is extremely small and very difficult to read. I didn’t need to read anything but your skill list for grading this RP but in the future if there is an RP that would require reading your history or such I wouldn’t be able to. Though I couldn’t read any of your lores either so if I happened to give you one similar to one you already have sorry!

Comments :
As always feel free to PM me any concerns with your grade, don’t forget to delete/edit your grade.

TAYLANI
Taylani
Captivated

Words: 541241
Joined roleplay: September 7th, 2013, 4:41 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)