Flashback The Hole Truth (Arundel)

Van finds himself in trouble and an old nemesis lends a hand

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

The Hole Truth (Arundel)

Postby Vanator on November 6th, 2013, 2:34 pm

Timestamp: 72nd Day of Summer, 505 AV

Vanator knew better, he was thirty, for gods' sake. But reason had left the Denusk heir for the most part over the past few seasons. The loss of Tamar had devastated Van, and in the wake he had spent more time wandering alone, drinking, cavorting, plotting to hunt Zith, anything that would draw his mind from his lost wife.

The Denusks were not to ride alone, per the Ankal's orders. But Vanator's father, at the behest of his mother, had relaxed his demands on Van. Nadra told her husband that their son had to find his own way to recovery. So, in the heat of the late afternoon, Vanator had mounted his Strider, Zura, and headed out for a ride.

Once clear of Endrykas' perimeter, Vanator hunkered down in his yvas over Zura. He quieted himself enough to sense the strands of the Web around them, knowing the Strider was always in tune with the djed network that spanned the Sea of Grass. The Denusk whispered into his bonded mount's flicking ear. "Lets ride, girl."

A subtle squeeze of his knees was all that was required to spur on the lively mare, and she launched into the grasslands in a spray of hoof-torn turf. Man, horse and djed joined in a breakneck streak across the grass. It was the most freeing sensation in the world. The region had endured several days of late Summer rains, this the first day of sun in a while. The earth was soft and cushioning under the Strider's pounding hooves, the grass still spitting off the residue of rain drops yet to evaporate.

The pair crested a small rise and descended the other side, the tent city disappearing over the low ridge. The landscape formed a large shallow bowl, and Vanator urged Zura across the middle towards the rise on the other side. As they reached the center of the bowl, Zura staggered. The ground beneath the Strider foundered, craggy crevices opening in a zig zag around them. The mare danced around the failing earth, rearing up. Vanator slipped from the yvas, rolling backwards over Zura's rump as she jolted forward to find sound footing.

Vanator tumbled off of the horse, but when he reached the ground, it was not there. He descended into darkness before his fall was halted with a solid, breath-stealing thud. The sound of crumbling earth ended with the trickle of dirt around him. Above, Van could still see the sky, but around him was darkness. What he could see in the rays of light reaching down was the remains of an ancient tunnel, one of those reported to run under the Sea.

He could hear Zura neigh, seeing glimpses of her head circling the hole. Thank gods she was safe. For himself, Vanator ached all over, not moving, fearful of finding something broken. His situation was problematic. He could not climb out of the tunnel, even if he proved unharmed. Zura would not leave him, this he knew. But he could not find the web down in the tunnel to try to call for help. So, he lay on the old dirt floor, staring up at the blue sky, and prayed.
Vanator
There is fire shut up in my bones.

Words: 940033
Joined roleplay: January 8th, 2010, 1:16 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

The Hole Truth (Arundel)

Postby Arundel on November 29th, 2013, 4:59 pm

She understood that her family meant well, but this was getting on her nerves. Arundel walked through what was considered the streets of Endrykas, in the eyes of a foreigner. Merely is was the trampled grass and earth between the great and small pavilions that made up the city. The man with her was the persistent sort. He hailed from the Ruby Clan - as was obvious by the various reds in his clothing, just as it was clear that she came from the Amethyst. He'd been accompanying her chivalrously for about two bells, and was carrying back her wares from the market. She hadn't asked him to, but he'd insisted. It made her teeth grind, the way he tried to pamper her. Every time the young man came around, she felt like a wall flower. And if Arundel would ever be anything, it wouldn't be a wall flower.

Rorik was his name, and he'd been trying to court her for more than an entire season. He meant well she guessed, but couldn't take a hint. Arundel had lost interest in his blatherings some time ago, and so her eyes wandered to the colorful pavilions on either side of them. Her tightly intertwined fingers were crossed carefully over her stomach. She could feel the unyielding stiffness of her corset under the linen dress she wore, and had been thinking for the past thirty or so chimes that she just wanted to get home and rip herself out of the confining contraption. It was a demand of her mother that she dress nicely - like a lady - when out with any young man. Most of the men who came calling quickly lost interest, but this one, not so much. Perhaps he was slow.

"Arundel?" The sound of her name pulled her attention back to Ruby Clansman beside her. "Hm?" she hummed questioningly. He smiled hesitantly. Always hesitant, this one. Like he would startle her. It made her want to roll her eyes. They were the exact same height, but funny enough she was more thickly built. He reminded her of a plant out in the Sea. Thin and wiry like a stalk. It seemed that making pottery all day and etching designs didn't build up much mass. Poor soul. She was afraid she'd break him if she'd hug him too hard. The thought made her smile, which made him smile more confidently. No, I'm not smiling at you! She pursed her lips and quickly looked away. "You seem very distracted," he chided gently. "Hmm," she hummed again.

"As I was saying, my father wishes to take me to Riverfall. The Akalaks are interested in my craftsmanship. Isn't that wonderful? This, and I'm being groomed for Ankal. I think th-," he continued on again, but Arundel quickly zoned out. Her eyebrows knitted together and she looked away, grunting occasionally in mock interest. This was who her father favored? Without thinking, she snorted aloud. "Excuse me?" he asked her. Quickly, she conjured up an excuse. "I'm sorry, I opened my mouth and... a bug flew in. Very sorry. Please, continue. I'm riveted." Arundel tried to look demure by turning her eyes down and smiling in what she hoped looked like shyness. Turning the conversation back to him seemed to be all that was needed though. He quickly accepted her apologies and launched back into his strange boasting.

When she could look away again, she rolled her eyes. What was there to even brag about? Sure, he made great pottery. The Dinos had seen some of his work before and there was no denying excellent craftsmanship. But where was his humility? It made her lip curl just thinking about it. And let the Gods be her witness, she would never marry a boring merchant. Thankfully it wasn't much longer and they arrived back at her family's pavilion. She could hear the boys inside making a ruckus, and the mothers calling over their shouts for some peace and quiet. The smell of cooking meat and flat bread made her inhale, before his damned voice yanked her attention back. "I had a wonderful time," he said as she took the basket full of grain and a large, tightly wrapped fish. "Oh, yes. As did I. But I really must get these things inside."

As she made to turn, he grabbed her arm and spun her back around. Before she could even utter a complaint, his lips were on hers. It was the most awkward, infuriating kiss she'd ever partaken in. She stood stiff and unyielding - not much unlike the corset that was making it hard for her to breathe. Her lips were pressed into a hard line as his tried to coax some sort of reaction. She even felt the hint of a tongue. It took all of her fragile self control not to bite it off. When he pulled away, he was actually smiling. "I could read the signs you were giving me," he said. Her eyebrows shot up in disbelief, and her previously stiff lips popped open. It was such a surprise that Arundel couldn't help but smile. His lips pulled up confidently, as if he were proud of himself. Carefully, she sat down her armful of goods. "You read the signs?" she asked casually. "Very astute of you."

"I will make you a good husband," he assured her, and she nodded slowly, taking a step closer. His smile broadened at the increasing closeness. "Oh, but there's just one thing," she practically purred. "What is that?" He leaned in closer, half closing his eyes. She wanted to claw at his face and scream like a wildcat, but Arundel clamped down on the anger. Sort of. With a swift jerk of her leg, she carried it back then forward, arcing up between his legs until the solid contact with his groin stopped her momentum. There was the harsh sound of her knee crushing the flesh there, and a low squeel from him in protest. He fell away from her into the dirt, holding himself in that most precious of places. Arundel smiled down at his curled up form, but it didn't reach her eyes. "Don't ever touch me without my permission. Don't come to see me again, you boastful little idiot, or I'll do far more than lower your chances of childbearing."

With exaggerated grace, she stooped and picked up the materials her mother had sent her to fetch, and without a second glance pushed aside the entrance flap of their pavilion and slipped inside. She left him there in the dirt in tears to pick himself up in his own time and slowly limp home. Her mother inquired to where he was, and she truthfully told them that he wouldn't be coming anymore, and that he'd lost interest like the others. No one seemed to see the need to comment. Once inside the sleeping area she shared with her sisters, Arundel peeled out of her dress, chemise, and corset and slipped into her more comfortable shirt and breeches. She rolled the sleeves up to her elbows and let the hem hang low over her thighs, then laced her boots back on. Grabbing her backpack - which held some essentials for being out in the Sea - she departed the pavilion again and assured everyone she would be back for dinner.

Arundel found her mare grazing not far from the family's home. She'd wandered only a little ways from where she had last left her early this morning, and was munching contently on grass. When the mare heard her coming, she lifted her head and whinnied a greeting. The Dinos kissed her mare affectionately on the side of her nose, and gave her a good pat. "Ready to go stretch your legs?" Juniper stood quietly as Arundel picked up each of her feet and dug out some of the earth caught in her hooves with her fingernails. A rock was stuck in her left hind, and she had quite the time getting it out. With the mare's big hoof held tightly between her thighs, Arundel stooped half upside over the foot and picked at the stone until it finally popped free. Finally, she swung up onto her broad back and settled comfortably. They were riding sans yvas today - just a pleasant bareback outing.

With a firm tap from her heels, Arundel urged Juniper into a steady trot. It wasn't long until open grassland surrounded them, and Endrykas was a colorful mass at their backs. Juniper's long, thick legs carried them quickly over dips and swells on the Sea, and finally the city disappeared over the edge of a ridge as they rode down the other side. Heavy hooves dug deep for purchase and Arundel leaned back to set more weight in the rear until they evened out again. There was the slightest hint of fall in the air today. A lessening of the summer heat, mostly. The wind spoke of the coming change, and cooled the sweat on her skin brought by the sun. They rode a few more chimes in blissful contented silence. The first whinny didn't fall upon her weak ears, but instead Juniper's. Her mare halted quickly, nearly sending Arundel straight into the thick neck that rose off the withers between her thighs.

The Seme's big dark head was held high as she examined the grasses around them, snorting nervously and taking a few quick steps to the side. "Hey there," Arundel murmured quietly, placing a hand on the mare's shoulder. "What is it?" Juniper whinnied quietly - a sort of soft squeal. Curious, she tapped the horse's sides with her heels and asked her to move forward. In her nervous state of mind, she broke into a swift trot that made Arundel grab the tangle of mane in front of her for security. It was the sort of trot was never comfortable to ride, and so she hunkered down and bounced uncomfortably until they crested another rise and came to another quick halt.

There was an opening in the ground, like a mouth had opened up and swallowed all the dirt. It was a dark mass that dropped away to somewhere below. Arundel slowly slid down Juniper's side until her feet once more touched earth. A horse - a Strider by the looks of it - was circling the hole erratically. Occasionally there came a whinny, and Juniper loudly joined in before galloping down to the hole to meet this new horse. "Hey!" she called after the mare, quickly following the animal. "What in the world..." Arundel halted a few yards from the edge of the open wound that scarred the Sea, nervous and curious but not daring to move closer for fear of falling in. Both of the horses stood close to the edge, sniffing and circling each other. Juniper followed the Strider - a mare she could now tell - over and over around the bowl. What are you doing? Where is your rider?

It wore the a full set of yvas. Oh no. "Hello?" she called loudly, creeping closer to the big jagged hole. She shrugged off her backpack and quickly unbuckled the top flap, then stopped a few feet from the edge. Clumps of earth and grass hung from stubborn roots that held onto the lip of the scar. The churned dirt smelled fresh, and seeing as how the Strider still lingered, there could very likely still be someone down there. "Can you hear me?"

OOCI know I'm a monster for being so late!
Arundel
Neigh!

Words: 118477
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2013, 8:12 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

The Hole Truth (Arundel)

Postby Vanator on December 4th, 2013, 12:57 pm

Vanator had guessed a bell had passed since the ground had swallowed him. Zura was still nearby, he could hear her disconcerted snorts and whinnies. She would not leave her rider. The Drykas tried for a couple dozen chimes to scramble up to freedom, once he determined he was not seriously injured. A few bumps and bruises adorned his body, but nothing was broken.

The nature of the incident left the dirt that fell in spread out on the tunnel floor, only to stony walls on two sides reaching up to the hole, and nothing where the passage started to lead up and down the hall. Those routes had been caved in for maybe centuries. The Denusk had paused in his calling for help, his voice hoarse, his hope failing. Should he not be rescued by nightfall, he would be easy prey for any marauding Zith that happened by.

Then he heard the thunder of hooves. It was not Zura, it was not Strider. The hoof falls were heavy and swift, like a Seme. Had he been found? Van heard the horses greet, and then a feminine voice calling down in Pavi.

"Yes! I can't get out!" Van replied loudly, his voice raspy. He craned his neck to look up, but saw no one peering over the edge. "Do you have rope?"
Vanator
There is fire shut up in my bones.

Words: 940033
Joined roleplay: January 8th, 2010, 1:16 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)