Flashback Weird New Friend

Syveris goes to the Edge of the World again, but the plans change when she meets another Inarta on the way.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Weird New Friend

Postby Syveris on November 16th, 2013, 1:46 am

34th of Summer, 510 AV

Syveris growled, kicking a small stone in the ground. She was angry, at herself, at her mentor, at everything. They had been getting along so well, she couldn't see why he would want to bring the topic of her mother from nowhere. She wanted to scream with frustration, kick every rock she came across, punch the first face she saw and simply just... scream some more. Stupid mentor, as if he knew something about her. He knew nothing. Virat was wonderful, Syveris couldn't deny it, but he had really angered her this time.

Each step she took was an angry stomp to the ground, as if she stomped hard enough, the frustration would leave her through her foot. Maybe it was. The Avora was sure willing to try.

The day had started beautifully, and her mentor was teaching her how to blow correctly in the pipe, when suddenly, he asked her about her mother. Of course Syveris had refused to answer. How could she? She didn't knew her mother, and the only thing she had ever learned about her was that she was a Dek. So, the Avora didn't want anything to do with her, not now, not ever. But Virat had insisted, saying that she should search for her and try to talk. Why, she still didn't understand. Family wasn't something important for Inarta, as everyone in Wind Reach could be considered to be family. However, Virat had said something about that being important to her.

Well, it wasn't, and it annoyed her that her mentor would think that. Syveris had finished the piece as soon as she could, before storming off the Glass Reverie and walked all the way to the path that would take her to the Edge of the World. She needed to vent out her frustrations in some way, so she wouldn't pick up a fight again with someone. Virat had made her promise she wouldn't do that, in exchange of giving her an apprenticeship, and Syveris wanted to keep her promise.

Now, thinking back, the way she reacted probably proved her mentor right. It was so frustrating, that she almost turned back and went to the Reverie again, to tell him exactly what she thought of family. However, that would be just stupid, and it would serve no real purpose. Clenching her tooth, she kept stomping on the floor.

She cursed when she stomped too hard on the floor, and mud covered her feet and her leg. It had rained, and there was still some mud spots outdoors. Just what she needed. Mud all over her. Well, it was only on her leg, actually, but it was annoying all the same.

The Avora kicked the muddy spot with all her strength, watching as it splashed on a bush nearby. So frustrated that now she was venting by kicking mud. It wasn't a funny thought, but it made her laugh all the same, a somewhat mocking laugh. It would be impossible for her mother not to be brought up, she should already know that. But she didn't care, she truly didn't. Sure, sometimes Syveris felt lonely, but she wanted a friend, not a mother. Of that, she was more than sure. And Virat was aware of that too, having said that he only suggested it to see if she could talk with someone for more than three chimes without trying to punch them. Wasn't she already talking with him, though? And the thought of punching him never crossed her head, even if sometimes she felt frustrated with her mentor.

Syveris began to walk again, still stomping on the floor, not caring anymore with the mug around her. It was annoying, but her mind was focused more on screaming mentally at every single she saw.

The sound of a flute made her stop, and she turned her whole body towards the sound. A young Inarta was sitting in a rock nearby, his eyes focused at her, his fingers moving slowly on the instrument. He said nothing, and Syveris glared at him, her mouth curling down to show her distaste at his glare.

x Abstract
Last edited by Syveris on November 16th, 2013, 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Syveris
Emotional Glassworker

Words: 334020
Joined roleplay: September 1st, 2013, 2:25 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Weird New Friend

Postby Syveris on November 16th, 2013, 11:55 am

During a while, the Inarta kept staring and playing, and Syveris began to loose the little patience she had left. What was wrong with this stupid man? He seemed to be around twenty, maybe a little younger, and had unruly and fierce red hair that pointed towards all possible directions. His eyes were of a deep green, and although Syveris found them beautiful, right now, they were annoying her. A lot.

"What are you staring at?" she screamed, finally loosing her patience. The man raised his eyebrow, but didn't answer, and didn't stop playing. He didn't even averted his eyes. It was like she had never talked. It annoyed her. "Are you clipped or something?" this time, the man lowered his flute, slowly, eyeing her with a mix of interest and a little anger. He rested the instrument near the rock he was sitting in, and leaned forward, still glaring, as if evaluating her.

"Why you do that?" he asked, and Syveris found herself staring at him in surprise. What the petch was he talking about? But no matter how much she stared, the man kept quiet, as if expecting her to answer a question she hadn't even understood.

"Why I do what?" the day was just getting better and better. Where did this Inarta came from, anyway? Shouldn't he be working or something? But then, maybe she should be working too, although Virat had let her go, hadn't he?

"You screamed at me with no reason. And you insulted me. Why?" his voice was calm, quiet, as if he was only talking about the weather. "I think you do that all the time. Insult others because you feel uncomfortable with them trying to understand you." Syveris gaped at him, not believing her ears. The other couldn't possible just have said that. That wasn't the kind of first words anyone said to anyone. That was just... Weird.

"I don't care what you think." she growled back, her fingers curling into fists. "How can you say you're trying to understand me? You've never even seen me, and you can't possible understand anything. There is nothing to understand."

"Isn't there?" the boy asked, frowning, as if genuinely thinking about it. Syveris couldn't believe it. Was this man just plain weird or really stupid? How can you tell a complete stranger that you are trying to understand them? "There is always something to understand about people. There is always a heavy weight that everyone carries. If you think you don't have it, then maybe you simply hasn't realized yet. Because we all suffer. And we all deal with it in different ways. That's what I try to understand."

They stared at each other for a full chime, Syveris trying to understand what the other had just said. For what she had figured out, he tried to 'understand' (whatever he meant by that, she didn't know) every person he came across. The Avora wasn't sure that was possible. She wasn't even mad at him anymore. Probably he had some serious problem. People just weren't weird like that.

"Look, I'll just go away, ok? You can keep playing your flute and trying to understand... whatever it is that you wish to understand." Syveris told him, and began to walk again, trying to get away.

"Why are you running away?" that was it. The Avora turned back, violently stepping on the ground until she was just inches away from him. Her eyes glowed with anger, and her lips were pressed together tightly, until she spoke.

"I. Do. Not. Run. Away." she pronounced the words slowly, forcing them to come out with as much control as she could. "You say you want to understand, so understand this: I'm not a coward. I'm not afraid of you, and I would never run away. I just got sick from hearing all your shyke. Are we clear?"

The face of the man remained the same, and Syveris felt frustration overcome her body once again. Straightening herself, the Avora looked down on him, showing as much distaste as she could on her expression. "Fine. Say nothing. After all, you are clipped." then she turned, and walked proudly away from him. Annoying, stupid, weird man.

And then, she tripped.

x Abstract
Last edited by Syveris on November 16th, 2013, 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Syveris
Emotional Glassworker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Weird New Friend

Postby Syveris on November 16th, 2013, 1:09 pm

For a tick, she didn't even register what had just happened. Her face was glued to the muddy ground, and Syveris felt her face began to heat. She had fallen! The Avora fought the urge to jump up and curse the rain, the ground and the mud. And herself, too. It was bad enough that she had tripped, but it had happened in front of one of the Weird. And now he was laughing! She could hear the low chuckle coming from behind her, and Syveris felt the need to punch the boy in the face. But she wanted to let the blush in her cheeks fade before even trying to get up. The Avora wouldn't show him that she had been affected by it.

Syveris heard steps, and soon, she saw the foot of the boy when he reached the spot right in front of her face. She grunted, wishing she could just disappear amongst the mud she was laying in.

"Do you want some help?" the man asked, and, for the first time, his voice had another tone to it. It was kind, caring, as if she had been his friend for a long time. It annoyed her even more than the other. They weren't friends, and she was just alright.

Ignoring the question, the Avora pushed herself up, wincing in disgust at the mud in her clothes. Her face was dirty, as was her belly, her arms, her legs... She probably looked ridiculous, brown and dirty in the front, and without a single drop of mud in her back. And she would have to walk like this all the way to the Tisuma Baths, so she could wash off. Grunting, she tried to clean her hands on her bryda, so she could take the mud away from her face, where it threatened to enter her eyes.

"I can help you clean, if..." the man talked again, touching her arm, without caring that it was dirty. Syveris jerked away from him. She didn't want his help with anything, she could manage it on her own. However, the violent movement made her loose her balance once again. The Avora took a few steps back, twisting her left feet and falling again, this time on her butt.

Syveris felt her cheek heat again. Her feet was throbbing, and now she was even more covered in mud, just to make things better. Pushing herself up, Syveris hissed at the pain that shoot from her feet when she tried to put her weight on it. She sat down again, glancing at the ground with anger. Please, just go away. Don't talk to me, don't talk to me. She was out of luck, as not even a chime passed before the man spoke again.

"Did you hurt your feet?"

"What do you think?" she asked, her voice low, still embarrassed from both of her falls. "Can you please just leave me?"

"No." the answer was so simply that Syveris looked at his face, frowning at the easy way he managed to blurt it out. Before she could speak, though, he kneeled down, and put his hand under her arm, pushing her up. Syveris sighed, and raised, resting her weight on his shoulder. "Infirmary or the Baths?"

"The Baths. It isn't that bad. I think it'll heal on its own." the Avora considered refusing the help, but she was just tired of trying to argue with him. Besides, her feet may not have been broken, but it was hurting right now, and she could use some help.

The man guided her back to the rock where he was sitting, and reached for his flute, before wrapping his arms bellow hers again. Syveris eyed the instrument, seeing that it was made of wood and had a blue feather tied on the end. The man watched her, before smiling.

"This feather was a present from my mother. She was a hunter, and gave it to me before Dira claimed her. And, when I'm claimed by Dira, I'm also going to give this feather to someone really important to me." Syveris shook her head, not willing to comment on how morbid this sounded. She just supported herself, allowing the man to guide her in the way back to Wind Reach, and to the Tisuma Baths. She really did need a shower.

x Abstract
Syveris
Emotional Glassworker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Weird New Friend

Postby Syveris on November 16th, 2013, 6:16 pm

When they finally reached the Tisuma Baths, they were greeted by the hot steam of the waters. Leaning against a wall locker area, Syveris took off her clothes, hoping that they weren't ruined by the mud. The attendants often had to deal with much more dirty clothes than her, so she wasn't really worried. Once she was completely naked, the Inarta took her arm again, guiding her to the first bath. Syveris winced.

"I don't have to get in that, do I? It's..."

"As dirty as you are." he interrupted the Avora, a smile on his lips. Syveris glared at him, before grunting and lowering herself in the cold water. She shuddered with disgust, trying to get most of the mud out of her skin as quickly as she could. Then, she raised herself, eager to get out of the water, and winced when she put her weight on the injured feet.

"Are you sure you don't want to go to the Infirmary?" the man asked, while guiding her to the next bath. Syveris felt more dirty now than when she got in, so she tried to go as fast as she could.

"No. I'm fine. It's hurting less, now. I just twisted it, no big deal."

Both of them entered in the second pool, and, when they were done, made their way towards the third one. In this, Syveris allowed herself to relax, felling the warm water around her. She extended her arm to take the sponge the man was holding, but he didn't give it to her.

"Let me clean your back first. You won't reach it." Syveris grunted in disagreement. She could reach it. The Avora always came to the Baths alone, and always did a very good job of cleaning herself. However, she just shrugged, and turned, so he could do as he pleased. He had helped her, so she would amuse him for the moment.

"Do you usually help and talk to everyone like that without asking for their names or without introducing yourself?" Syveris waited, but only received a yes for an answer. Not even a name. She breathed hard, a little frustrated once again. "What is your name?"

"Arin." he answered her, scrubbing her back carefully. He didn't ask for her name, and Syveris thought seriously about not giving it to him. But then, maybe the man was just too weird for her to understand. She was almost sure he wasn't acting like that to annoy her.

"I'm Syveris." she finally offered, annoyed that he wouldn't ask. "Avora glassworker, 15 years old." it was her way of trying to get something out of this Arin that wasn't just weird or a single word. But the other kept quiet, and Syveris sighed, figuring she would have to ask. "And you?"

"17 years old. Chiet. Librarian." Syveris blinked a few times, surprised. Seventeen years... Younger than she thought he was. But then, he quieted down again, and the Avora couldn't hold back an annoyed grunt. Arin laughed, and Syveris felt her blood heat. He knew she was trying to begin a conversation, and was making things difficult on purpose! That petching boy knew! "What is interesting about that kind of information?" he asked, catching her by surprise.

"What is... Isn't this what you ask someone when you meet them? Their name?"

"But I haven't met you." Syveris turned to him, mouth hanging open. They had just met, and... Her head hurt just from trying to make some sense of what he was babbling about. "I haven't understand you yet. We do not know each other. And names won't change that. Important information is what hurts you, what makes you cry, what makes you smile. I don't care about your name."

For a moment, Syveris just thought about getting out of the pool and walking away, and never look back. But, for some reason, the weird teen amazed her, and even if the way he talked was strange, it was also interesting. After the shock of hearing it went away, of course.

When she finally left the Baths, her feet was almost good again, not hurting when she walked. They had spent most of the time in silence, sometimes Arin would talk with some random person or another, the same way he had talked to her, and they would look at him with weary eyes, most of the time. And sometimes, he would talk to her, leaving the Avora wondering about things she had never even thought about. With a sigh, she made her way to the Commonrooms. Arin had somehow managed to make her promise that she would visit him in the Enclave sometime. Right now, though, she only wanted to clear her thoughts.

x Abstract
Syveris
Emotional Glassworker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Weird New Friend

Postby Harrier on December 9th, 2013, 5:58 pm

Skills Amount
Observation 2
Philosophy 1

Lore
Stomping your anger away
In need of a friend
Interrogated by a stranger
Arin: the Sympathetic
The difference between Meeting and Introducing another

Additional Comments: What a philosophical take on introductions. I like Arin; the only thing I would honestly remark on is your tense phrasing. You switch a lot between past and present tense in your grammar. We try to keep things past-third person as much as possible.

(c) abstract
Harrier
Harrier than you

Words: 365904
Joined roleplay: June 25th, 2013, 9:07 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Journal