Completed Writing Things Down

Syveris registers what she has learnt about birds on a journal.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Writing Things Down

Postby Syveris on November 16th, 2013, 6:46 pm

80th of Fall, 513 AV

As it always was, the Market had been full, although it seemed to be even more crowded, because it was being held in the Stained Glass Gallery. Syveris hadn't cared, though. She liked the crowd of the Market, one of the reasons she even went there, and to make things better the stained glass panels that adorned the place were very beautiful, and the Avora could have stand there, looking at them all day, if she didn't need to do other things.

She had gone to the Market so that she would be able to buy more clothes, mostly. Over the last days, she had gone to the Inclement Weather two times, and, although the last time had been terrible, she was convinced she would end up going there again, specially since that during Winter she wouldn't be able to climb the Edge of the World. The Inclement was fun, excluding the incidents, and if she didn't drink this time, things would be alright. But even if she didn't go specifically to the Inclement Weather, there might be another place or occasion when she would have to dress up, and she didn't want to have to use the same cloth over and over again, no matter how beautiful she thought the white outfit was. Besides, she had wanted to buy some gloves too, since it was getting colder and colder, and it would only get worse in Winter. Syveris would spend a lot of time in the Glass Reverie, if only for the heat.

The Avora sat on her bed, after folding the clothes she had bought and placed them inside her chest, together with the gloves. On her lap, there was the blank book she had also bought earlier. The cover was made of leather, and there was a very beautifully and detailed black tree branches and leaves and a single bird, perched on it. It hadn't taken much for the shop owner, Warden, to convince her to buy it. She had been looking for a journal, anyway, someplace where she could keep notes of the things she had learned about caring for birds.

She had even thought about making notes for glassworking too, but that was a subject she could remember very, very easily. Glassworking was very natural to her, like it was a part of herself. The techniques she learned, she didn't forget. It wasn't something that could be said about birds. She loved them, of course, but it was a more conscientious kind of love, and she needed to study and keep notes. That and she didn't want to mess up because she had forgotten how to do something for the chick, when the egg hatched.

x
x

x Abstract
Last edited by Syveris on December 28th, 2013, 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Syveris
Emotional Glassworker

Words: 334020
Joined roleplay: September 1st, 2013, 2:25 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Writing Things Down

Postby Syveris on November 30th, 2013, 7:46 pm

Syveris shook her heard, trying to shove the thoughts away. If she wanted to do anything, she would have to stop musing over things. The Avora moved to her couch, placing the ink vial in the ground and opening her new journal. The borrowed book about falconry was by her side, so she could consult anything she still had doubts about. Syveris knew that, in the end, she would end up writing about her experiences, but then, maybe she would be able to squeeze an information or another. It wasn't like she was very organized, anyway. She took the quill in her hand and thought for a while, before shrugging. She would probably end up staining the couch, but she wasn't too worried about it. It wasn't like there were many people who came to her room. However, she made sure to leave the book far from her quill. It was borrowed, and it wouldn't be very nice if she stained it too.

For a while, she only looked at the blank page, wondering how she should begin. After five whole chimes had passed, and she was still looking at a blank page, Syveris began to grow impatient. It shouldn't be that hard, but the Avora already knew she was terrible with written words. With a sigh, Syveris gave up trying to come with a way to write the information she had learned. She would just begin writing, and the information would get somewhere in the middle of her usual musings. And then, she would just underline the important bits, so she would know how to find it later. That would be fine.

Somehow, she wasn't really sure, but she had already thought too much for her liking and had yet to do something, so Syveris only placed the quill in the blank page and began.

I've always found birds to be incredible interesting, which isn't odd in any way, since I'm an Inarta. The whole Wind Reach is interested in birds, I think. But since I'm a glassworker, I put this interest in second place. So I was really surprised when Virat told me I should take falconry lessons. I mean, this was something I never expected.

So he got me a lesson with this girl named Lavira. She is an Endal, and a pretty nice one. She got mad at me at the beginning, because I hadn't brought the tools we needed, and I forgot to bring a bird, too, so I guess she had the right to be mad. But then, the lesson began and she taught me about the tools and all that, and it was really a fun lesson.

She stopped writing, and frowned. It was almost the same way she spoke. Was that alright? The Avora stopped, blinking at the page, before chuckling at her own stupidity. No one would read it, so who cared whatever was the right way to write? As long as she understood it, it would be alright.

The leash is used to secure untrained or wild birds, so they won't get away. The Jess is to control the birds while they are in the arm. I'm still not sure why it works, but it does. I think they just feel that there is something holding them in place, and they don't try to escape because of that. Who knows, though? The hood is a piece of leather that is used to calm the birds, if they are not used to being around humans. And there is the sontav, which is kind of a falconry glove, to keep your arm from being scratched by the birds' talons.

Syveris looked at her messy handwriting, frowning at it. Someone else would certainly have difficulties trying to understand whatever she had written. Well, it kind of made it more safe to write personal things down.

x
x

x Abstract
Last edited by Syveris on January 3rd, 2014, 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Syveris
Emotional Glassworker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Writing Things Down

Postby Syveris on November 30th, 2013, 8:18 pm

After the lesson, Virat finally told me the reason why he wanted me to take falconry lessons. It was because he was going to give me an egg. I was really excited about it, of course, and I've been trying really hard since then to research everything I need to take care of one. It's very hard, and time consuming, and I can't stop worrying, almost as if I'm going to be a mother, which is kind of funny for me. Well, I like it, all the same. I think I'm getting more and more attached to the egg.

Anyway, while I was working as a volunteer in the Aviary (Lavira's suggestion), I managed to learn a few more things. About the housing and things like that. A bird's house, at least a bird used in falconry, is called a mew, and they can come in various formats. The bigger the bird, the bigger the mew will be, but all of them have a perch, a nest-box and hooks for food and water dishes. It was there that I also got lots of useful information for when the egg hatches.

Also, I learned the stages of developments for birds. During the first days, the bird is called a hatchiling. When the feathers start to develop, it's a nestling, because the bird still can't leave the nest. Finally, when the flight feathers develop and the bird is almost ready to flight, it's called a fledgling. I've been told that this doesn't make much of a difference, but still, it's an interesting thing to know.

Syveris twisted her nose at her writing, not sure anymore why she was doing all that. Virat had said it was good to organize the thoughts, but, to tell the truth, Syveris wasn't feeling organized at all. Maybe the journal hadn't been such a good idea.

The Avora shrugged, not really caring. At least now she had a place to keep notes, and to write when she felt like it. Not that this would happen a lot, but still... With a sigh, Syveris placed the quill and ink away, before closing her journal. She then noticed a small ink spot on her couch. Well, she had expected it, hadn't she? With another sigh, she stretched her body, adjusting herself comfortable in the couch. Maybe she would have more interesting things to write about when the egg hatched, but she wasn't exactly hopeful.

After all, Syveris thought that written words were indeed interesting, but held very little meaning in face of actually living the events. And it wasn't like she had anything to teach with a book, either. She had tried, but writing seemed like a waste of time.

Yawning, she closed her eyes, feeling happy, anyway. She had an egg, and soon, she would be taking care of a small falcon. It made her very happy. Maybe Fall wasn't being so bad after all.

x
x

x Abstract
Syveris
Emotional Glassworker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Writing Things Down

Postby Skerry on January 8th, 2014, 3:27 pm

Grades

Syveris

Skill XP
Organization 2
Planning 2
Writing 5

LORES :
  • How to write a journal
  • Contents of a mew
  • Organization: Getting thoughts down on paper

Notes:
A simple what-I’ve-learned-so-far thread but I liked it all the same. It gives insight into Syveris’s way of thinking which is always good and interesting too.

Remember if you have any questions or problems with your grade then feel free to PM me.

Skerry
The Volatile One

Words: 121644
Joined roleplay: November 8th, 2013, 10:00 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook