[Bittern District] Crossing Paths (Crystiin)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Orion Michaels on November 19th, 2013, 1:41 am

16th of Fall, 513 AV
Bittern District
5th Bell

The cool autumn breeze teased Orion’s skin as the warm showers continued to fall. A heavy rainfall had hit the city the previous day and it hadn’t stopped since. After a rather mild summer, it was almost refreshing to have the droplets fall from the skies. He’d have taken the time to enjoy them if it wasn’t for the fact he was being forced to patrol in one of the few areas in Syliras that wasn’t shielded from the environment.

”Thanks much, Dinah,” the squire muttered to himself. She was the one who assigned him to walk the Bittern District in the wee bells of the morning. Sometimes he wondered if she simply got off on the power she held over him. It was one thing to be able to boss around a fourteen year old kid. To have a man two years her junior having to bend to her every will was surely going to her head. Unless he was going to quit, there wasn’t anything Orion could do about it, so patrol he would do, though he wouldn’t be particularly happy about it.

Grey plate armor lost its glimmer in the melancholy rain as the squire trudged on dutifully. The pattering accompanied the splashing of heavy boots deceptively deep puddles, but still he walked. Trouble never rested, no matter the time of day; Orion knew that better than anyone. As tiny streams of water ran down the squire’s face, dispersing across his scars and disappearing into a dark beard, Orion’s eyes remained alert, acting as sentry and guardian of all in his vision. He didn’t expect to run into any issues as he made his rounds, but one could never rest.

…Could I be starting to accept their truths?

With a sigh, Orion lugged himself and the heavy armor over to a wall, seeking a brief respite from the unforgiving elements. He’d been fighting the weather since the late bells of the previous evening, and only a short while remained until he could call it a day. A short amount of rest would wait him before Dinah would be upon him again, lessons of honor and valor with which to gift her squire. A weary smile touched the black haired man’s lips as he thought on it during his moments of rest. She was relentless, but at the same time, her lessons were somewhat sticking.

Still, it wasn’t enough to help him forget everything he was dealing with. The rain was doing well enough with that challenge, however. Crystalline eyes sifted through the hazy downfall. He’d hardly observed a soul throughout the night, and it seemed that, at least for the moment, he was alone. Just as he preferred it on these little forays into the Syliran nights.

Orion Michaels
Cut to the punchline

Words: 1033425
Joined roleplay: August 2nd, 2012, 12:33 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Mizahar Mentor (1)
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Crystiin Aithne on November 19th, 2013, 5:35 am

There was something special about walking through the city of Syliras with slippers so soaking wet that she could hardly keep them on her feet that made Crystiin absolutely miserable. Shrugging her cloak tighter around her shoulders, she picked her way carefully around puddles the size of small lakes. She couldn't make out anything other than buildings and shadows through the torrential downpour. Smiling at the cruelty of it all, she gave a low whistle, a call of sorts.

Nothing happened.

An impatient sigh escaped her lips and she trudged further into the Bittern District, past rows and rows of doors into apartments. She knew a couple of people who lived here, but not many. Most of her friends and relatives lived in the Maiden District. Where the petch was Flannigan? She shivered beneath her cloak, her only protection from the elements other than her thin shift and corset. And those ridiculous slippers that she swore were coming off any minute now.

In her mind, she wished she were back in front of her apartment's hearth. As soon as she collected that silly owl of her's, she was trudging back there and lighting a fire to warm the chill in her bones. Rain wasn't her thing. She preferred those warm foggy morning when she used to go out with a hawk or a falcon and hunt. She'd had dreams about those mornings before, running through the fields outside of her city as she followed the soaring speck that was a raptor in pursuit of some animal, maybe even a hare...

She traipsed along, finally finding another place rather open to the sky. Pursing her lips together, she gave another low whistle.
Crystiin Aithne
Player

Words: 16962
Joined roleplay: November 14th, 2013, 5:16 pm
Character sheet

Postby Orion Michaels on November 28th, 2013, 8:16 pm

When he heard the first whistle, the squire didn’t move. It was too cold, it was too rainy, and his mind just wasn’t on the job, at least not directly. The man was troubled, and in more ways than one. The end of the previous season had been a mess, and it didn’t seem as though things were getting any easier. If he didn’t have to deal with someone who was making a bit of an early morning ruckus, he would just avoid it all together. No danger, no threat, no problem.

He just had to pass another bell at most and then he could go and warm up in the dorms, get out of his soaked clothing, and just relax. The hearth in his room had never been so as inviting as it was at that moment. If only nothing else would happen so he could go about his day.

Then he heard another whistle.

Someone was either making cat calls or they were searching for something. Both of those events often seemed to require knightly intervention. Maybe a squire would do this time.

Metal armor scrapped against the wall as the blue eyed man pushed himself into a standing position, readying himself to go and investigate the source of the whistling. Steel boots met the stone ground when Orion started to propel himself towards where he’d heard the sound.

He had completed several patrols since joining the knights, but the majority of them had been uneventful. There was a reason for the city being called a place of peace. There was an occasional outburst here and there, but otherwise nothing of note occurred. Orion was unsure if he wanted the whistling to be anything real.

As he rounded a corner into another open area, Orion narrowed his eyes, squinting to try and seek through the light misty rainfall. The flicker of stubborn torchlight illuminated the area giving him the brightness needed to see the young woman. She seemed to be searching for something.

A mischievous smirk touched his lips as he made his way towards the stranger.

"You can stop whistling, " he began, deep blue eyes settling onto her face. "I'm here. What have you summoned me for?"

Orion Michaels
Cut to the punchline

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Crystiin Aithne on November 29th, 2013, 3:42 am

Crys had her lips pursed for another whistle when the sounds of metal clinking against itself caught her attention. Standing up straighter, she found herself face-to-face with a knight quite a few inches taller than she was. Pushing her hood back some to allot him the view of her face, a gesture she thought respectful, Crys wiped the rainwater from her eyes with the back of her chilled hand.

"You can stop whistling, I'm here. What have you summoned me for?"

As much as she wanted to laugh, there was something about the knight's eyes that made her stop. They were... So different than any she'd seen before. A lucid blue without comparison. Had she no wits about her, she certainly wouldn't have minded falling into those translucent pools.

Grinning, Crystiin put a hand on her hip. "A whistle for the Knights? Surely I'll need to remember that the next time I need your assistance." That came out a little... sassier than she intended, but oh well. There was rain going down her front that was making her shiver. And where the petch was Flannigan?

"Forgive me sir, but I was not whistling a summoning for you. You see, I am the owner of an owl that I release in the night and summon back to me in the morning." She attempted to raise her gaze to the sky, but only succeeded in getting raindrops in her eyes. "Usually he comes when I whistle for him. I'm not sure what's keeping him today. Perhaps the rain. Let me tell you, there is nothing like the scent of a wet owl in one's apartment." Such was her attempt at light conversation. What was it about this man that made him so easy to talk to?

"Oh, pardon me for being so open. I'm cold." Crys smiled at him again, letting her mind wander back to that tempting fire hearth back in her home. That owl didn't know what he was in for. Just wait until he got an earful of the scolding she was going to give him when he got here.... Oh Lord, here I go sounding like a mother again. Poor Flannigan. She giggled and attempted to shift her weight from one foot to the other but found herself on an uneven cobblestone. She lost her balance, and even though she was fully conscious Crystiin's vision blacked out for a split click.
Crystiin Aithne
Player

Character sheet

Postby Orion Michaels on November 30th, 2013, 8:50 am

Oh gods.

Orion had seen that look before. His gaze had met the eyes of countless women and he'd seen the dumbfounded look that they got when for a moment their vision locked on one another. It was an open door, an invitation to eventually take exactly what he wanted.

But he was on blasted duty. Of all the rotten luck in the world, he'd run into a pretty little thing out in the rain, and he had to patrol the shadows looking for a nonexistent evil to make sure everyone was safe and sound. He kept the disappointment from his face, but it tore at his heart and soul; a stranger in his life was just what he needed.

"Just whilst, milady, and I promise I'll come running. Then what has you out in the weather this early in the morning? I think it would suit you more to be warmed up by the fire, perhaps a warm cup of cider in your hands? Out searching for your knight in shining armor, perhaps?" He crossed his arms, smirking as he looked down at the blue eyed woman. "I do hope you can settle for a squire."

He listened thoughtfully as she replied, and it was quite the unexpected reply. He'd never heard such a story or met anyone with such a profession. Amused was he, however, when he never really got the chance to ask a question. The girl was a bubbly one, and she let stream forth a never ending burst of words during which Orion didn't hear a breath. She cared about her job, she cared about that owl. Or maybe she was just nervous around the armored man. Regardless, it was entertaining for the squire to observe.

The talking came to an abrupt halt completely with apology, and then just like that the young woman was on her way to the ground. Orion reached out and snatched her by her wrist, pulling her back to her feet and then into his body where he supported her with both arms. "My goodness. You could at least tell me your name before you go falling for me," he teased, mischievous blue eyes staring down at her face. The rain pounded against them both, armored squire and owl trainer extraordinaire. "I'm Orion. I've got some time left on my patrol, so as long as you're in this area, why don't I keep you company while you search?"

Orion Michaels
Cut to the punchline

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Crystiin Aithne on November 30th, 2013, 3:58 pm

"I, um.... oh." There was no way in all of Syliras, or even in all of Mizahar, that Crystiin was going to be able to withstand the charms of this diamond-eyed man. Look at her, she was already in his arms!

But she didn't make a move to escape his embrace, despite the fact that some of his armor was jabbing her uncomfortably. Being near him was slightly warmer than being by herself, and even if it was momentarily, she was going to take this small chance at absorbing warmth. His speak of her fire made her continue to wish for it, although she didn't mind being in his company. Not one bit...

"My goodness. You could at least tell me your name before you go falling for me."

She let a smile illuminate her face again. "But of course. My name is Crystiin." Although his head blocked a little of it as he looked down at her, she was getting rain in her face again. It was cold, soaking her shift and corset, getting in her eyes. It stung a little. She hated to pull away, but she had to. Using a corner of her cloak, Crys attempted to get the majority of the water from her face. She knew the squire was watching her, but she couldn't help it. That small, internal need to get water from one's face! The thought made her giggle again.

"I'm Orion. I've got some time left on my patrol, so as long as you're in this area, why don't I keep you company while you search?"

Orion... Crys felt as though she'd heard that name before, though she knew she'd never met the man. Perhaps one of her friends mentioned him, though she could recall no facts about him that they might have told her.

"As you wish sir. Usually he's the one that finds me, I don't know what would be keeping him today..." That was a small lie. The small creatures that Flannigan ate had to be in shelter and under cover against the rain. Just like Crys wished she was... "Do you mind if we find some cover first, only for a moment? I'm soaked." There she was again, sassy.

I guess take your time Flannigan. I'll be here, with Orion...
Crystiin Aithne
Player

Character sheet

Postby Orion Michaels on November 30th, 2013, 11:17 pm

Sometimes it was too easy. She seemed such a sweet girl. Perhaps the gods were repaying him a bit for all the shyke they'd put him through in recent years. A little divine retribution for all the pain he'd dealt with tossed right into his arms in a cute, curvy little package.

Yeah right. We know better than that, Orion.

Though when the young woman made no move to free herself from his grasp, he adjusted somewhat to prevent the edge of his armor from poking into her side, instead settling her in against his chest. "You're awfully forward, Crystiin. You trying to get me in trouble? For shame. I bet you're quite the heart breaker," he remarked, the playful tone he'd taken their entire encounter full on his lips. Naturally, she moved away at that point, trying to protect herself from the rain. "Be nice to me, okay? I'm gentle."

Orion grinned, looking down at the stranger. His height certainly had a useful purpose when talking to people in the rain, rare as that situation came up. Streams of the clear liquid ran from his matted hair down his face and down onto the ground in front of them. He never let his gaze stray too far from Crystiin’s face, breaking away only occasionally, and especially when she made eye contact with him, as though he was embarrassed she caught him looking at her. Once they began to move in their search for her owl, Orion stayed closed enough to her that his unarmored hand would occasionally brush against hers, though he looked around as though he was actually searching for her bird. The truth of the matter was, even if he saw it, it’s not like the squire would be able to do anything.

”But of course. Let’s drop into this corridor here. It would be most horrible should you catch a cold on account of me keeping you in these elements.” The squire kept at her side, tossing a wry smile her way. ”Sounds like your owl may be training you, then? Though I don’t understand why it would want to be anywhere else. I count myself lucky that I’m not making a choice between the rain and your presence, as Flannigan seems to be doing. I assume he hunts mice more than pretty girls?”

Turning down one of the many paths within Syliras, Orion quickly took sentry, placing his back against the wall, just outside the dreary rain’s onslaught. He couldn’t tarry for long. If he got caught chatting up a woman rather than patrolling, Dinah would run him into the ground. Though with each absolutely adorable giggle, and each nervous glance, he began to feel like it might be worth the risk.

Orion Michaels
Cut to the punchline

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Crystiin Aithne on December 1st, 2013, 2:58 am

"I bet you're quite the heart breaker. Be nice to me, okay? I'm gentle."

Dipping her head, Crys hid her smirk. It wasn't the first time she'd been called a heart breaker. Having toured the taverns a bit in her day, she'd had many a plaything. Only two nightly romps to her name, though one was miserable and the other was drunk. But heart breaker? That she could do. She'd used the usual Not tonight... Not with you... No thank you... and the one time, awful as it was, that made her laugh: There's someone else...

There'd be none of that today though. Not to Orion.

They walked on, and his warm fingers touching her hand didn't escape her notice. Crystiin swore that she blushed hard every time, her face glowing as goosebumps ran up her arm. He directed her into one of Syliras' many walks. Finally out of the rain, if only for a moment. This wasn't the latest Flannigan had been out. There had been a couple of times when she hadn't found him and he'd stayed out for two nights in a row.

Untying her cloak and pulling it off, Crys watched Orion from the corner of her eye. He was leaning up against the wall, and when he wasn't looking at her he was glancing back out into the rain. He had said that he was on patrol... Look at me, distracting him from his rounds! She wasn't sure whether she should be proud of herself or not.

The thought of him hunting pretty young women made Crystiin giggle again, something she noticed she did in the presence of handsome men. Not that she was going to admit anything, but ya know.

Throwing her cloak over her right arm, she shook her curls behind her head and stepped up to the squire. She kept her gaze on her left hand as she placed it on Orion's arm. Slowly, she danced her fingers over the armor covering his lower arm and wrist. When the glittering armor came to an end, Crys traced her fingers lightly over the back of his hand. His skin was smooth, warm.

She took a deep breath and looked up at Orion from under her eyelashes. Cocking her head slightly to the side, Crys let the soothing drum of the rain wash over them as she bit her bottom lip, letting it slide out from under her teeth. I'll not break your heart..., she thought.
Crystiin Aithne
Player

Character sheet

Postby Orion Michaels on December 1st, 2013, 5:13 am

She was quite the interesting woman. Moments before she couldn’t stop talking, and suddenly she was the shy one. His words, his touch, and his actions all seemed to throw her off. Sweet blushes, nervous glances, flirtatious looks; all of them led down a path he was intimately familiar with. She was trying to decide what she wanted, how she wanted to deal with him. If she didn’t want his help or his attention, he doubted she would be avoiding his gaze whilst displaying oh so rosy cheeks. It was almost enough to make a guy feel guilty.

Almost.

Deep blue eyes shifted around as he looked out into the mist and back to her over and over again. He could hardly contain his smirk as each time he glanced away and glanced back, she seemed to be a little bit closer. Her cloak came off and her proximity came closer and closer, until she was close enough to touch his arm gently. It seemed she had something in mind, and it was something he wished had come about just a short time later.

The steel plates which were there to guard him from the kiss of steel were no protecting him from her gentle, seductive touch. He’d never been so grateful for that armor before. If not for it acting as a barrier between his forearm and her fingers, he might not have been able to control himself. As she gently teased his hand, he turned his attention fully upon her. Was she trying to distract him for a purpose? He’d said he had to work, he’d said he had business to attend to, but here she was, looking up at him through flittering eyelashes and bite of her lip.

Orion moved his hands to her shoulders, pressing against her and moving her across the short distance to the other side of the narrow pathway. If things had been different, he’d have attacked that tempting neck with his lips; Orion wasn’t one to turn down some welcomed fun. But some sense of duty grinded at the back of his mind, screaming at him to complete his patrol. It was the most godsforsaken, stupid petching noise he’d ever dealt with.

Orion leaned down, his lips a fraction of an inch from the young woman’s ear. Hot breath escaped his mouth and flowed onto her ear as he whispered in a low, suggestive tone. ”I thought I was joking when I said you were looking to get me in trouble.” His left hand slid up the rest of her shoulder, twirling the end of a lock of her hair for a moment before he continued. ”They say the best things if life, they’re worth waiting for. Patience, Crystiin. You’ll have to wait a little bit longer if you want a shot at breaking this man’s heart.” Orion pulled away, his fingers caressing her check as he retreated back across.

He was yelling at himself inside, calling himself the fool for wasting such a chance. He’d never met someone quite like her, at least who wasn’t drunk, but it seemed the young woman was simply high on life and emotion. The giggles of someone who enjoyed the presence of a cute guy, of an appealing beauty who seemed to be a little more than her appearance might suggest. She knew how to start the game, and maybe most guys would melt at her supple lips and tender touch, but Orion was another story. He’d be in control, or nothing at all.

He never looked away from Crystiin as he stepped backwards across the distance, blue eyes and a wry smirk challenging her all the while. He was hardly paying attention to the area around him; if she was trying to distract him to slip something by him, mission was successful. On the other hand, he wasn’t going to miss a single one of her movements. He was intrigued by this stranger and her maybe existent owl. The thing he loved about Syliras was the fact that no longer how long he lived there, he’d run into someone new. Twenty six years of life had never led him to cross paths with Crystiin, and it seemed both of them were ready to make up for lost time.

Orion Michaels
Cut to the punchline

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Crystiin Aithne on December 1st, 2013, 6:39 am

When he released her and moved away, Crystiin was stunned. She felt it there, with his every touch, glance, word, breath. He was strong. There was no way she would be the one in charge here, he would be, whether she like it or not. And whether she liked it or not, the thought of him softly telling her to wait sent shivers down her spine.

Everything he did sent shivers down spine. It was like he was using magic. Strong magic, that radiated with masculine energy that she couldn't muster in any shape or form.

Although she was taken aback by him placing her away from himself, she marveled at his self control. Had it been her in his position, she would have given in. That's a weak thought. Maybe I'm not as strong as I pretend to be...

She wanted to stay, to wait until he was done with patrol. What the petch am I doing?! Attempting to seduce a squire? On patrol?! She knew he was watching her. Crys didn't want to seem flustered or upset... She needed a distraction.

After a moment's contemplation, she walked to the entrance of the hall. A gust of freezing air rushed down from the sky, blowing rain into the entrance and onto Crystiin. Her cloak was still in her hand, and the front of her dress got soaked. Ah, smooth move girl. Now you're going to catch a chill and for what? The affections of a man. The affections of Orion... Shaking her head, she took in a deep breath.

And let out a whistle.

It was low and deep, wavering only a couple of times with flickers of her tongue. In the back of her mind, Crys remembered that Orion had said he'd come running should he hear her whistle. But it wasn't him she was hoping to bring forth.

When nothing happened, she turned back into the corridor. Wherever Flannigan was, he was probably roosting for the day, somewhere out of the rain and the wind. At least she hoped he was.

Crystiin was shivering again. Walking on past Orion, she looked down into the darkness of the hall when a soft whistle, almost inaudible, caught her attention. She fumbled with her cloak, pulling out the thick leather glove that she used when falconing from a pocket. The cloak fell to the floor as she spun around, facing the entrance to the corridor once again, her gloved hand outstretched toward the wall.

In a showy display of feathers and power, a huge two-foot-tall great gray owl swooped in through the entrance to the hall. His wingspan nearly reached from wall to wall, and his liquid gold eyes glimmered in the dimness of the storm. Crys had walked far enough back into the corridor that Flannigan had time to bank in the horizontal plane, coming to a soft landing upon Crystiin's worn falconing glove.

For the moment, Orion slipped from her mind. The familiar scent of her owl filled her nostrils, along with the unpleasant but bearable smell of wet feathers. Flannigan shook himself like a dog, sending water droplets all over. Whispers flew from Crys's lips. "Here you are, little brother! I was beginning to worry, did you have a rough night? All this rain, poor thing...." She picked up her cloak from its resting place upon the flagstones and used it to stroke the raptor's feathers into some sibilance of dry.

It was then, as she was tending to her owl, that Crystiin met Orion's gaze again. A bemused smile grew on her lips and she giggled. That man...
Crystiin Aithne
Player

Character sheet

Next