Completed Endals and Swords

On the Fighting Pit, Syveris is challenged for a sword fight.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Endals and Swords

Postby Syveris on November 21st, 2013, 5:51 pm

46th of Fall, 513 AV

Syveris was once again on the Fighting Pit, her Talon Sword secured in her hand. Turrin had told her to train with her real sword sometimes, so she could get used to the weapon and its weight. She had tried to do so in her room, but after the sword was sent the sword flying and hit the couch, leaving a deep cut on one of its arms, the Avora decided that it would be better if she trained only outdoors. That way, she wouldn't ruin the little furniture she had.

Because she wasn't very eager to send the sword flying in someone's head, either, she kept herself a little away from the actual Fighting Pit, instead swinging her sword on a corner where no one was, and from where she could see if someone approached her, so she could stop and not cause any accident.

The Avora adjusted her hand in the sword handle, feeling less uncomfortable than the last time, but it still wasn't natural to her. Well, someday she would manage it.

Remembering the starting stance Turrin had taken when they were training together, Syveris put her right foot in front of her left, and swung her sword, testing the flexibility on her hand. She still knew very little of what she was supposed to do, but there was little rush in learning the technique, and so, Syveris still hadn't tried to do a little more research. For now, a simple training on how to swing and hit without dropping the sword would do.

She raised the sword slightly above her head, and brought it down, before slashing an imaginary target by bringing the sword right to left. As she turned her hand to slash back, though, the sword dropped to the ground, and the Avora growled.

Ok. More strength. Even the small difference in weight between the wooden sword and the real one was enough for her not to be able to grip it right, and she was having to learn it again to adjust her grip to her own Talon Sword. Syveris only hoped that she would be able to adjust automatically after a while.

After a few more tries, she managed to grip her sword with enough strength to keep it in her hand and to be able to swing it without loosing the flexibility. It was good enough for her.

Adjusting her grip accordingly, Syveris slashed the air again, this time trying to walk backwards and then to the front again, testing to see if she would be able to do it and still keep the sword secured in her hand. She was, and the Avora smiled, satisfied with herself. The first step she had finally learned: how to get a good grip on the sword. Too bad there weren't any partners now to help her train her defense and attack. Maybe she would be able to talk with Turrin sometime, and they could go training again.

Shrugging, she decided to keep doing the basic exercise for now. Standing in the starting stance again, Syveris raised her weapon, prepared to start slashing the air again.

x
x

x Abstract
Syveris
Emotional Glassworker

Words: 334020
Joined roleplay: September 1st, 2013, 2:25 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Endals and Swords

Postby Syveris on November 21st, 2013, 6:22 pm

The Avora was once again preparing herself to strike when the sound of wings made her stop, and look at the Fighting Pit, where people were opening their way for two Wind Eagles to land, one at a time, their riders jumping from their back before the giant birds took flight once again, disappearing in the sky. Syveris watched, with the same amazement she always had when seeing a Wind Eagle, but as soon as they disappeared, the Avora took stance once again. She had come to train, and if she distracted herself now, then she would loose the rest of the day. Probably.

Concentrating once again, Syveris managed to slash the air three times before a voice interrupted her. "What are you, crazy? There is some invisible partner you are fighting?" the Avora turned, seeing it was one of the woman who had just arrived in the Wind Eagle. An Endal.

"I'm training." she answered, trying to be polite, but not managing to keep a hint of annoyance out of her voice.

"Training? Alone?" the laugh was mocking, and Syveris definitely didn't like it. Was there really a problem in training alone? She only wanted to have a firm grip of her sword. It wasn't something she needed a partner for.

"Yes, alone. Can you leave now?" she asked, but when the Endal smiled, Syveris was sure that she wouldn't be left alone that easily.

"You can't tell me what to do, you know." the woman's voice was soft, but clearly not friendly. "How about it, I will train with you."

"No, thank you." Syveris clenched the handle of her sword. Somehow, the offer didn't seem very trustworthy. The woman was probably planning something, and the Avora didn't trust that her sword skills would be able to keep her out of trouble. "I'd rather train alone."

"Well, too bad that I'm Endal and you have to do what I say, right? Or is it that you are such a coward and are afraid to lose?"

"Fine!" Syveris exclaimed, angry. She would not be called a coward by such a woman. "If I win, you will leave me alone, though."

"And if I win... Then you give me your pretty sword, how about it?" Syveris paused, not really wanting to bet her sword. It had been too expensive for her to afford another one, and she really liked the design on this one. "What is the matter, chick?"

"I accept." Syveris growled, annoyed at the woman's words. What had she done anyway to be treated like that? However, she could agree or she could run away, and that she wouldn't do. Besides, if the Endal really wanted, she could always order her to fight, and Syveris would have to obey. It would be less humiliating if she just accepted it already.

The woman smiled, and drew her sword. Syveris eyed the real blade, surprised. Were they going to use real swords? The Endal couldn't be serious! "What's the problem, chick? It's too frightening for you?" Syveris gripped her handle even harder, refraining from pushing the woman in the face and put her right feet in front, raising her sword. Her only chance was that the woman was bluffing, and that she was as bad as the Avora on the sword.

Her smile, however, seemed to say the opposite.

x
x

x Abstract
Syveris
Emotional Glassworker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Endals and Swords

Postby Syveris on November 21st, 2013, 7:02 pm

The woman didn't take a stance before walking fast towards her, the sword pointed directly to the middle of her eyes. Syveris barely noticed what she was doing when she grabbed the handle with both hands, clenching her sword against the woman's and diverting it to her left. The block had been desperate and even the Avora could see that it left her defenseless if the woman choose to attack, but the aggressiveness of the other caught her by surprise, and she had only thought of getting the blade away from her head. She gritted her teeth as the Endal drew her sword, purposefully letting the blade slide against the other, and producing an annoying metal sound.

Just as she had her sword near her again, the woman attacked, slashing horizontally, trying to hit her sides. Syveris blocked both of them, clumsily putting her sword in front of the woman's blade. It wasn't luck and even less hability. The Avora knew very well the woman delayed her attacks on the last second, to give her a chance of defending herself while, at the same time, scaring her. This thought wasn't calming. On the contrary, it was incredible upsetting. Syveris knew that, once the woman got annoyed, she could easily end the fight by dismembering her. Not a very comforting thought.

"What is wrong? Afraid of loosing already?" the woman taunted, and Syveris felt like if she was asked what was wrong once again, she would probably impale the woman with her sword. Only... She wouldn't be able to do it at all.

Another quick attack, this time aimed at cutting off her wrist, that Syveris managed to get out of the way, on the expense of having the woman's blade hit against her sword, sending the weapon to the ground. Another quick swift, and Syveris had to jump away from her sword to be able to keep the two halves of her body attached. And what annoyed her the most was to know that the woman was letting her escape everytime, for some sick amusement.

The Endal placed herself away from the sword, but Syveris knew that if she tried to catch it, the woman could easily swing the sword at her.

"Not going to try to catch the sword?" the woman smiled, and Syveris felt the need to punch her until the smiled disappeared. "Oh, come on! Otherwise I'll need to take it and leave." take it. No, the woman couldn't just take it. That was unfair. Taking a deep breath, Syveris quickly jumped fowards, and reached for the sword.

The pain made her scream and stumble backwards. Syveris eyed the woman, not believing she would actually hurt her. The smile was still in the Endal's face, and Syveris found it sickening. Looking at her own arm, she saw the blood coming out of a small cut. It had hurt, but it didn't seem like it would do much more than that. She sighed, relieved, a feeling that was quickly replaced by horror as she saw the woman walk towards her, the sword raised and ready to strike.

Would she really die like this?

x
x

x Abstract
Syveris
Emotional Glassworker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Endals and Swords

Postby Syveris on November 21st, 2013, 7:22 pm

However, the woman did not finish her strike. Syveris could feel the tip of the blade touching her neck, and she struggled not to move, otherwise she knew she would get hurt. The Endal approached her, much like a predator approaching the prey. A very accurate description for what Syveris was feeling right then.

"You loose." that was obvious to her, but Syveris still couldn't believe it. She doubted it would have been any different if she denied the woman's dare, but that knowledge didn't make anything less humiliating. "Now, I'll get your sword, and you will be left to..."

"Stop that right now, Leara." a voice interrupted. The woman made an annoyed face, but lowered her sword. Syveris almost sighed in relief, but she stayed quiet, facing the Endal with distrust. "Let's go already. It seems you didn't want to come here to fight."

"It was a fair fight, and she lost." the Endal whinnied, in a quite childish manner, and Syveris was surprise by the sudden change of behaviour. "I have the right to her sword."

"I can hardly call that fight fair. Let's go, now." the unknown woman entered in her field of vision, and she saw it was the second Endal that had come in the Wind Eagles. Leara, or whatever was her name, stomped hard on the ground, but walked away, her face twisted into an annoying scowl. "I'm sorry for that. She is normally a nice person."

It took a while for Syveris to notice that the other woman was talking to her. Then, she had to make an effort not to scowl. Nice person? That was the least thing she would use to describe her.

"She is." the other Endal emphasized, and Syveris only nodded. Her sword depended on this person good will, and she could go along if it was what it took. Not that she would agree with her, anyway. "We are all under some stress. The traders have returned, but one of them has not. Leara is worried."

Well, that wasn't an excuse, not as far as the Avora was concerned, so she just grabbed her sword and nodded to the Endal that had helped her. "Thank you." the Endal shrugged, and walked quickly behind the other woman, following the path she had taken.

Syveris waited for a while, before finally leaving the Fighting Pit herself. She would train inside her room, from now on, unless there was someone with her. The Avora had almost lost her sword, and she didn't want to take the risk again.

Grumbling to herself, Syveris walked back, slowly, so she wouldn't run in the Endal again, while trying to ignore the stinging in her arm. It hadn't been too deep, but it would take at least a day to stop hurting.

Definitely training in her room.

x
x

x Abstract
Syveris
Emotional Glassworker

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Endals and Swords

Postby Skerry on December 16th, 2013, 6:59 pm

Grades

Syveris

Skill XP
Negotiation 1
Observation 3
Planning 1
Weapon (Talon Sword) 4

LORES :
  • Planning: Arranging a day's training
  • Talon Sword: Starting stance
  • Talon Sword: How to grip it
  • Negotiation: Working out rewards for a match's winner

Notes:
Well that was dramatic! I thought she'd lose her sword for sure there! A nice little thread and you didn't write above your skill level because it was clear that she had no idea what she was doing.

Remember if you have any questions or problems with your grade then feel free to PM me.

Skerry
The Volatile One

Words: 121644
Joined roleplay: November 8th, 2013, 10:00 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook