Strings and Wings

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Strings and Wings

Postby Lavira on November 22nd, 2013, 9:44 pm

Timestamp: Fall 3, 513

The morning sun had yet to breach the mountains surrounding Wind Reach, it barely peeking over the line of the ocean binding Thunder Bay to Storm Sea. It blinked and flickered and crept, crimson rays rolling slowly across the waters. The gentle wind that tickled at the pine forests of the Bay moved inland, brushing the stone path of the Valley and up the mountainside before eventually reaching the city of the eagle riders.

It was the third day since their bonding, the emotional high they had been on these last few days finally begining to taper off. To say it had not been exciting would have been unfair! Mohya was a wonderful creature whose mysteries were boundless. Vira longed to know her more, that quiet bird that she had for over a year tried to get to open up to her, but understood when the eagle could not provide her the answers she sought. It did not discourage Vira from riding her as often as she could, the harness often leaving chaffs on her legs and hands where they had flown for hours until both were beyond exhausted and absolutely had to land. She adored the sensation, however, for it brought her infinitely closer to the wind eagle.

The only thing she struggled with was the pain flying brought. Her side would burn like hai's fire when they finally landed and leave her whimpering miserably the remainder of the day and at times that night. Thankfully, though, the Endal aeries had their own wash rooms and Vira had been able to enjoy long and luxurious soaks in these to help sweep away her discomfort for a time. It loosened the muscles in her body and helped her to relax.

She had not gone to see Kovac since she had shown up at his door that morning after they had bonded, though it was not by choice. Had she been able to, she would have spent her free time with him to just talk about the experience, glad that he would provide her company others had so often refused or declined to her. But their schedules were hard to match up, and as was expected of a new rider, there was much training to be done. She had been warned that much of the season, when not spent hunting in the wilds, would be spent with the rest of the Flight learning training maneuvers.

While she had not been tasked with training maneuvers this time, Vira had been assigned a block of time in the ranges with a few other newly bonded men and women. Most of them were Yasi, but there was one woman who was a few years older than Vira that would be there. So it was that as Syna began to rise and spread her light and early autumn light across northern Kalea, the teen slipped from her bed and went to the closet to get dressed.

From the hangars, she pulled one of her standard vinati and grabbed a folded bryda from the shelf below, the dark brown turning nearly to black in the darkness of the closet. The clothes were of finer quality than she was used to, but understood it came from her position now, a seasonal provision to ensure that the cities primary providers were well taken care of, no matter their skill or experience.

Both articles were placed on the bed, though the vinati was taken back up almost immediately. Vira took this and slipped her arms through the straps and then twisted awkwardly to secure it between her shoulders, grunting at the strain it put on her still healing right side. She managed to get the first hook in place before having to relax, dropping her right shoulder and tightly closing her eyes until the agony dissipated.

With an exhale, she rotated her arms behind her back again at finished the hooks quickly, returning her arms to her front immediately after. Her right hand, however, moved to cover the spot where the skin had been pulled off over her ribs, her breath hissing through clenched teeth. The act of dressing had become a difficult task now where before it had been ritualistic.

Allowing herself several chimes to recover, Vira eventually took her bryda from the bed and unfolded it, shaking out the legs. From there, she would roll down the waist and the legs until she could set it on the floor before her; after that, the teen set her right foot through the right leg and the left foot through the left leg and methodically rolled the article up both legs, slowly straightening as she neared her hips and eventually wiggling them to settle them on place.

Smoothing the material out habitually, she left the sleeping chamber and went to the bathing area where her brush and comb were typically kept. The morning ritual still had yet to be finished. Once inside, Vira grabbed up the brush and began the longer task of brushing out the straight length of tangerine and red hair. One stroke, two stroke, ten stroke. She counted with her eyes closed each brush, moving the object over slightly each time so that every strand was included without default.

The chore took nearly a full bell to finish, but once she was done, not only was her hair brushed, but it had been done up into the common bun-braid so that the weight of hair would not get in her way at the Ranges. The feather she commonly wore between her shoulders was fetched from her room, then, and the leather piece upon it was wrapped around the braid so that the feather stuck past the top of her left ear. This would bring attention to her seeing eye in the process!

With the dressing activity completed, the teen went to the kitchen and pulled some jerky from the cold storage, leaving it on the table for Tulaj (who had not made his aggressive appearance just yet). He would now have a snack and not tear up anything in the Aerie for being hungry, even if the daft bird could hunt on his own!

Only after this point would Vira sweep the room with her eyes to look for anything out of order before she grabbed her bow that leaned against the wall to the right of the door, and left. It was time to train!
Lavira
Monocular Exception

Words: 596082
Joined roleplay: April 11th, 2013, 7:00 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Strings and Wings

Postby Lavira on November 23rd, 2013, 6:11 pm

The warrens were not as quite as Vira had thought they might be at this time of the morning. There were several squadrons of dek going about on cleaning duties as she reached the deeper warrens, and quite a few teams of Chiet helping with some clean up from an overflow in an aerie. The endal from that aerie was standing outside the door talking with an Avora mason and hydroponic about what happened. She faintly heard him mention something about a funny taste to the water before she was out of earshot. It made her wonder what he was talking about, though.

She shrugged it away, for now, and headed on and down through the city to the ranges outside the Gates. On her way, the teenager came to a window-lined balcony where a small bird was standing, preening itself. It a bright yellow body with black wings and red and orange that dusted its face. Its song, faintly heard through the thick pane, was a pretty trill. She grinned in memory. These were birds of good fortune, a tanager if she remembered her lessons rightly. The recitation for identification even made her laugh as she watched it.

“Blonde like sun with crimson face
A tanager is quite slow
It’s oft quite shy in every place
And will rarely ever show.”

“Pretty little tanager, what are you doing singing way up here?” She wondered aloud, watching as it picked a loose down feather from its breast before flitting off into the gentle wind. “Nothing, it seems!” A voice behind her startled her out of her study of the little bird.

”Talking to the finches again, Lavira?”

Twisting around to look at who had called her, Vira’s face brightened in delight. “Sittam! What’re you doing way up here?”

Before her, a young man with eyes so blue they made the sky seem false smiled. His lips were kind, albeit a little crooked by the scar over the center, and his face sang of sincerity. He was a nice young man and one of the very few Vira actually called her friend. She and Sittam had known each other since they were both very young. She could remember him being at Chaska’s funeral. She could remember their first day in the Yasi quarter and their first Bendi. Of all the others, he had stuck it through with her, though after they both aged out, she and Sittam had never been able to get together since. Part of it, Vira knew, was her own fault. After she’d lost her eye, she had separated herself from her old friends, afraid of their judgments while she worked to get past her own sense of inadequacy. The chocolate-haired young man reached out and tugged her against him, hugging her tightly. ”I actually came to congratulate you, Lavira. I heard you were bonded on the last day of summer.”

“Heh, I was, yes.” She hugged him back, then politely stepped out of reach again. “To Mohya; I was surprised beyond belief, hah!”

”You like it?”

The teen nodded fervently. “It is like nothing I ever dreamed of, Sittam. All our aspirations as kids really doesn’t prepare you for the reality. I’m still kind of high off our first flight! I mean, it’s absolutely amazing.”

”You always said you wanted to fly, Lavira. Makes me wonder if you weren’t a bird in a previous life, haha!”
The teen nodded, grinning back at the young man. “I’m actually heading down to the ranges now for some training exercises. Why don’t you come with me? I can forsake the Endal range for your sake, and then we can get some lunch. It’ll be great catching up with you.”

”Sure, that sounds fun. I need to take care of something first, though, why don’t you go on ahead of me and I’ll meet you down there?”

Vira laughed a little, “What on earth could you possibly have to take care of up here?” But the look he gave her softened the laughter. It wasn’t harsh but it suggested a seriousness to it. “Is everything okay? I can come with you if you’d like.”

Sittam hesitated, looking away and suddenly very self conscious. He cleared his throat, ”I don’t know if you’d really want to do that, Lavira. It’s a sensitive matter. Do you remember Kashal?” The young endal nodded, ”Well, she and I hooked up last year. She works down in the hydroponic gardens using skills to keep the plants healthy. We’ve been living together after she found out she was pregnant in Spring.”

Vira brightened, “Oh that’s great, Sittam! I’m so happy for you. Well, maybe not that your girlfriend’s pregnant, but that you’re actually seeing someone.” She grinned.

Laughing, the brown haired young man planted a fist on his hip. ”Well gee, thanks for that show of confidence, dove. I would make a fabulous father and you know it!”

Nodding emphatically, she replied, “I know, Sittam, I’m just teasing. You’re a good guy. I’m seeing someone, too.”

He gasped, ”You’re kidding? Ramrod straight Lavira? Seeing someone? Did she finally get the D?” That made her blush and look away in embarrassment. “That is none of your business, Sittam…but yes, we are intimate.” That just made him laugh and her feel ashamed.

Her mouth drew down in a frown and she moved away from him, her knuckles white as she clutched at her bow. She was intent on leaving him behind for teasing her like that but a grab at her shoulder made her stop and forcefully turn to look at him.

”I’m sorry, I didn’t mean it like that, dove. Is he nice? Does he treat you right?”

She nodded tersely. “Yes he’s nice and treats me the way one should be treated; With trust and respect and love, the same as I treat him. Kovac’s good for me after what happened in summer.” That made him pause, mouth open and eyes wide in disbelief.

”You’re joking, right? You’re not actually seeing Kovac, are you?”

“Uh, yea I’m seeing him; why would I lie about that? He’s a good guy, if misunderstood.”

”Dove, he’s a womanizing mongrel who would rather be in the pants of a pretty young Endal than do his petching job. Hai, petching may as well BE his job!”

There was barely a tick before her hand lashed out and slapped him hard enough to cut his cheek. “Don’t you dare ever talk about him like that, Sittam. You think I would be stupid enough to go on some dally with such a man?” Her own eyes widened in anger when he started to say she might just be and the hand reached out and slapped him again before jabbing a finger into his chest. “You know nothing about him other than what you’ve been told. Rumors are called rumors for a reason, Sittam, you should know that. Yes, Kovac has a bad reputation, but they change, people change, lives change. Look at me; haven’t I changed?”

Sittam was rubbing at his cheek now, frowning at her as she spoke her piece on the Avora hunter. ”Lavira, you’re practically my sister; even if we haven’t seen each other in so long, I still love and care about you, you know. Hai, we were best friends growing up!”

That just made her lips purse into a tight frown. “Friends, Sittam? Where was my friend when an eagle took my eye? Where was my friend during the Storm when mom died? Where was my friend when I nearly died in summer, huh? I lay in that pit for three days, Sittam, and then even longer at the infirmary! Where were you then when I needed my friends? You all forgot about me, forgot about Vira the cripple, once so full of promise. But you and nobody else came to see me, to see how I was doing, if I needed anything, too absorbed in yourselves to even petching care.” She dropped her finger then, single eye swimming with tears.

“Kovac may not have known it was me who fell when the quake struck, but he at least stayed and helped me through the recovery afterwards. And you couldn’t even spare an inquiry…You’re a jerk, Sittam. Go off to your pregnant girlfriend then…” Vira turned to walk away when he grabbed at her shoulder again.

”Vira, wait, come on, now.” He said. She stopped and he turned her around to face him before wrapping his arms around her, cheek against her cheek. ”I’m sorry.” To try and say anything else right then wouldn’t have worked, he had to leave it at that or risk further angering his friend. She had been abandoned by so many over the last three years, who was he to judge on who she chose to be with?

Hesitantly, Vira wrapped her arms around him finally and sighed. “You know how serious I am about things in my life, Sittam. Romance is no different. I’m not going to go into something lightly, ever.”

”I know, dove, I’m sorry for jumping on you about it. Still friends?”

“Still friends.”
Lavira
Monocular Exception

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Strings and Wings

Postby Lavira on November 24th, 2013, 4:06 am

It was with a heavy sigh that Vira let him go and turned to leave, sparing a wan smile back at him and waving as he went on to this woman he had been seeing. Sittam had always been a good friend to her and probably always would be, but the encounter had soured her mood; she hoped it would not sour her training.

Leaving the warrens, the next few chimes were spent en route to the Ranges, her gait smooth and steady as she passed Val at the Gates. The old man was given a kindly smile and nod from the teen as she went by, up the outer path to the shooting gallery. The weather was pleasantly warm today, the haunt of summer still hanging over the city, and the winds were calm. It would have been a great day to fly, too, but she was supposed to be in the ranges.

Vira reached her destination soon enough and beheld an absolutely packed place. Every target stall was filled to the brim with younger up and comings as well as a few Chiet showing off their skills to mentors. Not all of them were great, and it was for this reason that Vira was glad she was now an Endal and would not have to deal with the nosy on-lookers as much. However, her Flight leader had told her they would be practicing in the main ranges today and not elsewhere. This alone bothered the teen, but not enough to discourage her from skipping the task.

With a sigh, she began moving through the crowd, looking for her commanding officer. He was an older fellow with white in his hair and a reputation for leaving the weaker in his unit behind. They were given one season to meet his standards or were cut and forced to be reassigned. Vira’s reputation as a hard worker, however, had earned her this particular group: the problem, however, was that the others on the team were completely discriminate. Vira’s disadvantage as a flight archer made her an immediate target to them and they were doing everything they could to harass her off the team.

She spotted Nash as he liked to be called talking with a couple of Yasi. They were around the age thirteen if she were to guess, and both had practice bows in hand. One of them looked painfully bored and Nash looked ready to smack them both. She stepped towards them and cleared her throat to subtly get her flight leaders attention. He did look up at her, though, nodding briefly before lowering his attention to the Yasi once more.

He was saying something about watching some of the other archers for a while before they tried goofing off in the target stalls from now on. They must have been breaking the rules, if Vira were to guess, or they wouldn’t be receiving a reprimand like that. Eventually Nash let to the two girls go, neither of which bothered to look back other than to leave their bows and practice arrows where they’d found them.

“Morning, sir, everything a-“

He cut her off with a glare and she quickly fell silent. ”You’re late. Stall two, four arrows, get the long bow off the rack.”

“Sir, I’ve never used a longbow before.” She replied, surprised that he wanted her using the larger weapon. But that glare made her look away uncomfortably again, clearing her throat and following the order. “Er, yes sir…”

The weapon was huge compared to the short composite Kovac had given her, the grip tough in her hand from overuse by other trainees. She flexed her fingers a little and rubbed her thumb against the grip, trying to get a feel for it; her single eye noted the placement of the rest for the arrow as well as the paint on the string for nocking purposes. Longbow arrows were longer, she knew that much, to match the breadth of draw that the weapon had. It meant a great deal more amount of power as well as longer range, but only if the shooter could draw it properly. From the barrel that held the roughly fletched rods, she also pulled four of the longbow arrows, holding them loosely in her hands as she made her way over to stall two.

Once in the stall, Nash came up beside her and told her to unstring the bow. Dismayed at this thought, Vira obeyed, pulling the top of the bow down and grunting at the lack of give in the weapon before quickly unstringing it, releasing the bow to is proper position immediately afterward. She exhaled at the tightness it caused in the tops of her shoulders and watched her flight leader inquiringly.

”If you can shoot a long bow, you can shoot any bow.” He began. ”But in order to do that, you must be able to string and draw it. Now, string the bow.”

His directive was simple: String the bow. But Vira knew just from having felt the weapon in unstringing it that that was going to be a painfully difficult task. “Alright, I will try.”

But Nash shook his head. ”Don’t try; just do.” The one eyed Endal watched him with a frown, thoughtful but not choosing to argue. Eventually, she nodded and took up the weapon, studying it once more to see how best to string it without breaking her arm, cutting her face, or snapping the string. Doing it the normal way wouldn’t work because the bow was too long; it extended almost above her brow and she was sure if she did it like that, even using her feet to secure it, she’d never get the bow to bend right. The only option was to use her legs; but would she be able to stabilize the bow long enough against her other foot to bend it and attach the string? There was only one way to find out, and it was not going to be easy.
Lavira
Monocular Exception

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Strings and Wings

Postby Lavira on November 24th, 2013, 6:46 pm

Vira stuck the bow behind her left leg, bracing the bottom point on the inside of her right foot. She bent at the waist and grabbed the string afterwards, drawing it up towards the top of the weapon near her shoulder. The hard part was going to be bending the bow without it snapping on her or breaking the string. The slight recurving of this particular bow, however made it even more difficult and the teen struggled to get the bow to bend.

Gripping the string between her teeth, Vira now tried with both hands to bend it down enough for the loop of material at the end of the string to be nocked. Her teeth grit and the girl grunted as she put her back into it, feeling the bow slowly beginning to give under her force. Once she managed about six inches of give, she held it in one hand and slipped the string into place, slowly releasing the tension until it groaned into tightness. Vira released a breath she had not realized she’d been holding and stepped out of the newly strung longbow, nodding in her own approval. Her flight leader must have agreed because he too nodded and added, “Now fire at the white mark at the front of the line.”

Drawing another breath, the young endal grabbed one of the four practice arrows and nocked it, letting the shaft fall against the rest that the arrow should be in on the bow handle. Before going any further, the teen checked her stance, making sure both feet were shoulder width apart and pointed parallel to the right of the target so indicated. She then double checked the position of her nock and realized she had it rotated wrong. Unnocking the arrow, Vira turned the projectile a full one hundred and eighty degrees before returning it to its rightful position.

From there, she set her eyes on the white target Nash had indicated, continuing through the checklist. Her hand was already properly placed on the grip with her thumb pointing directly at the target. Her pinkie, ring, and middle finger were allowed to relax on the grip of the heavier bow so that only her thumb and index finger supported it. Her string hand was left to only gently grip the bottom of the arrow, allowing it an unimpeded grip for when it was drawn and released.

The hardest part was now upon her as she studied the target, turning her head so that she could see it clearly in her left eye. The bow was now raised and the arrow aligning with the target, but she did not yet draw it. In her mind, she went over the things Kovac had reminded her of in spring. Her hips were out of alignment, she noticed first, quickly adjusting them so that they were rolled beneath her torso, giving her back the strength and support it would need to draw the powerful bow. She adjusted her shoulders so that the weight would be put into her back muscles and not her arms; this was followed by lifting the bow just a little higher on the length of her bow arm. This raised it just above the level of her nose.

It was now time to draw.

Vira drew a slow breath and began to pull back on the string, feeling the tension in it immediately. It made the muscles in her draw arm tighten immensely, causing her to grit her teeth to keep from relaxing back into a natural position. She continued to draw, the muscles trembling so hard in her arm she could barely control the arrow on the rest and in the nock. Before it could be released by mistake, Vira relaxed and lowered the bow, exhaling and closing her eyes. It was not a failure yet, all she had to do was draw it and shoot. He said nothing of hitting the target.

Taking another slow breath, the bow was raised into position once more and the string began to draw back with her, the muscles tightening in her face and her shoulders bunching once more. Vira could see her bow hand tighten around the bow and reminded herself to relax; don’t clench, just hold. The tightness in her bow arm eased off immediately after that point, though she continued pulling the string back. A low grunt escaped her and the teen managed another inch before her grip was made to tighten once more. “Nngh…” She groaned, closing her eyes to keep focused on just getting the arrow back to her cheek.

Come on…just a little more…

Her breath came out in a rush and she feared that the string would snap from the hook of her index and middle finger before she was ready, sucking in another hasty breath to keep the air flowing through her. “FFf…c’m’on….” She groaned once more, the tickle of the fletching against her cheek making her open her eyes and laugh despite the strain. Her whole chest and back burned and she didn’t care that her whole set up was completely out of whack. The moment it touched her cheek, the endal let the arrow go, watching the long projectile soar through the air and bounce against a red, pig shaped target far too the left of the one she had been told to aim for.

Nash did not yet say anything, though, as he watched her and not the arrow. Just like with the stringing, he nodded his approval, and said, “Do it again.”
Lavira
Monocular Exception

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Strings and Wings

Postby Lavira on November 25th, 2013, 9:15 pm

She was surprised that he wanted to see her do it again, but Vira did not complain. The young woman simply nodded curtly and drew another arrow from the quiver and nocked it. It rested easy against the string and Vira drew a breath as she lifted the bow and began the task of pulling the string back once more.

The struggle was clear as her back muscles burned and her shoulders trembled. It took all her concentration to keep from releasing the arrow prematurely, and nearly as much to not relax the string with the arrow in it. When it reached the half draw point, Vira felt her fingers slip, watching the arrowhead slide forward on the rest in a mocking threat of release. But it didn't, thankfully, and the teen continued pulling. She almost cried with the effort, her side burning as her whole body was put into it. It wasn't the right way to draw a bow, she knew this, but what else could she do?

The mans voice intruded on her concentration suddenly and the youth gave a cry of dismay as it launched, the string snapping forward and the missile shooting half way down the range to land and then slide against the stone floor. "Petch." She muttered under her breath, turning her single eyed stare onto the man now. "I'm sorry, sir, what did you say?" She tried to mask her frustration with a smile, but Nash wasn't buying it.

"I bet you want to hit me, don't you." He asked her cooly.

"Me? No sir; I just want to hit the target. You distr-"

"And if you are on the hunt and a bear attacks you, are you going to be distracted then, too?"

"Probably, sir." She answered honestly

"So you're going to let it swipe your head off before you draw your bow?"

"That isn't what I said, sir. Whatever I was doing before hand will be distracted from; I'll miss."

"And if that was the only good shot you had all day? You're just going to let it get away because a bear attacked you?"

The teen stared at him with one eyebrow raised. He spoke as if this was a real situation. "Er, yes sir, I would not fire at my prey. If I was lucky, I might be able to fire at the bear instead before running for my life." Nash stood there staring at her with a deeply focused frown. "...You're messing with me, aren't you."

The Flight Leader's lips curled at the corners now and nodded. "But I was serious about distractions. If you can focus when they're around, you'll do better, shoot better, fly better. During the season, I'm going to try and introduce various distractions into your training so that you can start getting used to it. You have the potential, but I want to see it in action."

Vira nodded back at him in understanding. "Alright, distractions. I could probably go down to the Bay for some target practice too; there's lots of distractions down there."

"And there are a lot in here. Start here, for now. Utilize the quiet of the Endal ranges whenever you can so you can draw on that focus I've seen in your eyes and get your bowmanship improved. I doubt you'll ever properly shoot from an eagles back, but you will make one hai of a marksman if we can harness your vigilance. Now, swap the longbow for the shortbow and let me see you fire a set into the targets."

"Any particular ones, sir?" She asked, walking back to the rack to deposit the long bow in its rightful place then grabbing up her own bow from where she'd left it.

"All of them."
Lavira
Monocular Exception

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Strings and Wings

Postby Lavira on December 23rd, 2013, 12:41 am

Vira took the instruction with a nod and grabbed a quiver of practice arrows along with the shortbow, returning to the firing line. The teen was glad to have had the praise Nash gave her, a little boost to her confidence when it was normally fairly subdued. She returned to the line and set herself up.

First, her feet were placed, both shoulder-width apart and her hand loosely holding the bow. After setting the quiver down, she went to reach for one of the arrows but Nash's hand stopped her immediately. "This is not how we shoot. Where is our quiver on the hunt?" To this, Vira had to pause and think. In the end, she answered based off how her hunts would typically go. "At the hip of the draw hand or over the draw shoulder."

The man nodded and picked it up. "Your shoulder will work better for you." He slid it onto her shoulder as he spoke then stepped away, positioning himself with arms crossed in front of her. Vira inhaled slowly then exhaled, steadying herself as she marked the position of each target. "Concentrate on hitting the targets. Don't worry about precision right now; just hit the targets."

It was a simple order, one she wanted to follow through as the end of the arrow was grasped with the three fingers of the draw hand and pulled from the quiver. The fetching tickled her digits as it was removed and lined up with the nock. She let her instincts follow this first, then quickly realigned when she noticed that the groove had not set properly into the nocked position.

Vira was still in a relaxed stance with the bow lowered and her eye on the left most target. She kept her focus thus and drew a breath deep as the bow was lifted and the string pulled. The arrow trembled against the rest and she closed her eyes to draw focus and still the quivering. When her eyes opened, she concentrated on the target. It was a simple one made of hay with a series of blue circles painted on it. She started her aim in the center, and exhaled, her fingers relaxing on the shot so that the string and arrow simply slipped from the grip and flew through the air to the target.

It struck high and to the left, however, and made her fingers twitch in displeasure. She hated imperfection and that was not a good enough shot. her hand reached over her shoulder once more and pulled a second arrow from the quiver to line it up in nock again. She wanted to shoot for the first target again but Nash's orders echoed through her mind and she forced the bow to slide to the right and down slightly for the next, more animal shaped target.

However, as her fingers loosened on the string, her Flight Leader clapped his hands loudly, breaking her concentration and causing the bow to jerk to the left some. The result was a wild shot well over the first target and into a rock beyond. "Petch..." She grumbled, glancing to her instructor with a terse frown. The smug smile on his lips made it clear he had done that on purpose.
Lavira
Monocular Exception

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes