[IronWorks] Stubborn man, you should be resting (Ora, Rhuryc

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Ora Sa'vina on August 16th, 2010, 11:52 am

44th of Summer, 510 AV

It had been two days sense the fight, and Ora's thoughts and feelings on it were jumbled. She had physically hurt another individual as well as been the cause of anothers death. Both of these things disturbed her greatly, she had not wanted to do such a thing, but what happened was in the past, added to her Chavi, whether she wanted it or not. The young woman had come to the conclusion that no matter how much she regretted her decisions and wished to go back in order to change what had unfolded that day, she would not be able to.

After taking Rhuryc to a healer once returning she left him in their care, the purple bruise on her face was just that and nothing more; a bruise, a reminder. Ora had returned to her own room, without much energy left in her, her face showed the pain in her eyes. The expression seemed to stick longer than just a good nights rest. The first day, Ora remained in bed, the blankets pulled over her head, curled up around her pillow. "You can't hide from everything for ever." She assured herself the night of the 43. "You need to check on Rhuryc, make sure he's alright." It was then, under the covers of her bed that Ora decided the next morning she would return to the healer and see if he was still there.

It was early when the young woman left, the sun was barely cresting over the edge of the city when she left her place of stay. Ora walked slowly towards the healers, her feet making small steps and her violet eyes watched them cross the cobblestones beneath her. A few people were getting their shops set up, people were going to the Bazaar to open up, life was continuing on despite Ora's despair. It did not take long for her to reach the healer, a handful or two of minutes, she waited patiently to be tended to, all she had was a question, it could wait.

An older woman was the one she spoke to, when Ora asked of Rhruyc, she was told he had left yesterday to return home. "Where is it that he lives?" She asked the woman without much luck, the older woman told Ora to check the Ironworks, he might be there, and if not, the people who worked there would know. With a weak smile and a bow of her head, Ora left the clinic and continued out towards the streets, her pace remaining slow and steady.

She was in no rush to get to Rhuryc, he was likely lying in bed asleep by this point, and if not, well, wouldn't that be a surprise? The wounds in his legs were bad, one considerably deep. By the time the small Konti reached the Ironworks, the sun had breached the city walls, hanging low over the city as it continued it's trip.

Small hands opened the old, heavy door with a complaining creak as Ora passed through the threshold. Her eyes scanned the Ironworks, hot coals, some banging, it was still early. Her eyes landed on a familiar face; Rhuryc. After a full day of rest he had returned to work. The Konti felt in shock. "Shouldn't he still be resting?" The woman took a few steps towards him before speaking, her hands limply at her sides. "Should you not still be resting, Rhuryc?" A small frown crossed her face as she looked over his legs were the wounds would be. "You should not even be standing..." Ora was worried, her voice dripped with the emotion, her eyes returning to his face. "How are you feeling?"
Ora Sa'vina
Player

Words: 157067
Joined roleplay: July 22nd, 2010, 2:18 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Rhuryc on August 16th, 2010, 4:03 pm

Rhuryc grunted. The stiff, sheering pain in his leg was not helping his work. The medics had complained, tried to hold him, but fortunately for him they were nowhere near as strong as a blacksmith. The forty-forth was the day he told his master he would return, so it was that he came back on the forty-forth. No one could say the man did not keep his word. He was clad in his usual attire - for he had not a chance to return home yet - except for now some bandages poking through the material on his right hip. His movements were slow and he walked with a limp, the occasional burning or jolt of pain halting any progress whatsoever. Nevertheless he soldier on, as he was stubborn to do, the clang and bang of the ironworks never ceasing for such a weakness. Rhuryc's master, while not a stupid man, had said nothing about the wound and as usual was nowhere to be seen when Ora entered that particular wing of the forge. Strange, it was almost like Rhuryc ran the whole damn smithy himself.

Clang. Rhuryc glanced up from his work (some strange mesh of iron, it looked like he was bending iron for nothing more than the sport of it) and gave Ora an indignant stare. He continued to work while she spoke, his arm coming down between the pauses of her words in a steady rhythm, searing the hot material to a state of which he approved. Sweat poured down his checks like a waterfall and it was apparent he was weaker than usual, the wound nowhere close to healed. Still, there was a tenacious strength in him yet. Queer, really. The man did not seem to acknowledge the fact that he was in pain.

"Probably." He replied, the thick baritone cutting through the clangs of his hammer. Neat trick, that. "Said I'd be back today, though. Can't just cut out on work." So silly a man. "I can stand on it just fine, it's walking that causes the problem. And I feel fine." He said, his skin oh-so pale.
Rhuryc
Honorific

Words: 466305
Joined roleplay: July 21st, 2010, 7:22 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Ora Sa'vina on August 18th, 2010, 11:48 pm

A frown crossed Ora's face as Rhuryc explained his reason. "Would your master prefer you in healthy condition rather than exacerbating your wounds?" A sigh escaped her lips, she had been a fool, if she hadn't asked this man to take her to the damn falls, he would be fine, working away as always it seemed. "You do not look fine," Ora took a few steps closer to him, standing far enough back to avoid any possible flying sparks. "You look sick," Her voice sounded depressed, lower than normal, as if she was speaking in black and white.

Her eyes moved to look at his legs, still clad in blood stained pants, bandages poking through. He hadn't even gone back to his chambers to change? A stubborn fool indeed. Violet eyes moved back to Rhuryc, she was at a loss as to what to do. She wouldn't be able to force him anywhere, and he was much to stubborn to listen to reason. "You need to stay off your feet for a while, Rhuryc," She moved slowly, turning away from him to look at the wall, her eyes going over various shapes of metal and tools? Ora didn't know. "Please, I am sorry for what I have done but if you push yourself you could end up," She cut herself off, her mind wandering to the Akalak dying while she held his hand. "Is there anything I can do? To make it so you can rest?" She turned to face the pale, sweating man.
Ora Sa'vina
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Rhuryc on August 19th, 2010, 8:46 pm

"I'm fine." Rhuryc's hammer came to a stop. His eyes flicked up from his former focus - a horseshoe of some kind - and he me Ora's gaze. There was defiance in that stare. Not at the woman, but his reasons for returning to work perhaps ran deeper than silly stubbornness. Despite the intense stoicism, the absolute focus, the man wanted to be here. Yet he would not be the one to say it. For some simple wound to prevent him from living, to be ridden with pain and ruled by it, this was far worse for such a creature than the sickness that threatened to take his body. Tenacious, foolhardy, perhaps naive, but there was no mistaking the dedication in those eyes. It seemed nothing could dull his spirit, not even death itself.

"I should be the one concerned about you." He started again, his hammer clattering against the anvil as he hobbled his way over to the barrel of water in the corner of the room. In truth he held little desire to discuss Ora's emotions, but the pain she felt was, in a way, greater than his. "You apologize for something that was in no way your fault. At all." Was he talking about himself or he Akalak? His ambiguity was intentional. "He sealed his fate when he killed that man's brother, and they their's when they chose to pursue him, and I suffered no more than was my due." What kind of philosophy was that? Was he so uncaring to not be shaken by murder? Like he stubbornness there was a deeper explanation, yet he would not be the one to say it.

Rhuryc took in a deep breath and shoved his head into the barrel. When it came out he shook the liquid out like a dog, his blond hair flying about in a mess. How refreshing. "What you can do is come to terms with what happened and not blame yourself. Otherwise it will eat you alive."
Rhuryc
Honorific

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Ora Sa'vina on August 22nd, 2010, 5:56 am

The Konti watched his eyes as he met her gaze. His words seemed to ring in her mind, “I’m fine” he had said. Perhaps his definition of “fine” was entirely different from Ora’s that would make sense. Saying “I’m fine.” After stumbling over ones feet made a great deal of sense to the Konti, saying “I’m fine.” After having sharp objects stuck into your legs did not make sense. Ora decided to leave the subject, she would not force him, even if she thought it was best for him, it was not her place.

Her attention and thoughts shifted suddenly as Rhuryc continued to speak. “Concerned about me?” Ora looked slightly perplexed. Why was there need for concern over her well being? She was only struck across the face and even that was on its way to being healed. Rhuryc continued to speak, Ora listened while her eyes seemed to wander, her mind was no longer occupying the orbs, the normally vibrant violet seemed to dull as she listened and thought.

The death of the Akalak was still close to the Konti, she could still feel him leaving her, the odd peace he seemed to have in death. Ora’s eyes snapped back to reality, a small lump in her throat prevented her from speaking; so she stood and continued to mull over his words. He had sealed his fate when he did the things he did, but he did not murder the brother, the Akalak had no intent to killing the man. The Konti averted her gaze, looking into the glow from were Rhuryc had been.

“It is hard,” Her fingers touched the handle of the hammer Rhuryc had been using. “To come to terms with it.” She gripped the hammer, lifting it, feeling its weight. “It is made worse by feeling what those around me feel,” Her eyes moved to Rhuryc for a moment as she set the hammer down. A small sigh escaped the young woman as she moved away from the tools. “How does one get over this, Rhuryc?” Her voice seemed to be missing something, life, hope, energy; all of these things seemed to be vacant in her words as well as her face. What had happened was already eating her alive.
Ora Sa'vina
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Rhuryc on August 22nd, 2010, 10:13 am

"First you have to accept it." He started, his weight shifting to his still-good leg. Now that he stopped Rhuryc realized how much energy it took to accomplish a simple task; that bowl was only a part of his project, it would very well take him the entire day to finish the rest. If he was lucky. With a grunt he hobbled his way over to a shelf and leaned back, his shoulders stiffening at another jolt from the wound. That was annoying. Nevertheless, he seemed intent continuing this conversation, no one to abandon such philosophical meanderings at their height. That is what they were, after all. Meanderings.

"We make our own choices. You need to learn to allow people to live, or die, with theirs. It doesn't matter if that Akalak was guilty of murder, he killed a man, and that decision lead to the death of not only himself but three other men." His voice was almost accusatory. In truth it was, Rhuryc had a point; even if the Akalak had only been defending himself, he was still responsible for the death. A cold, hard observation, perhaps one not set for the Konti. Or maybe it was. "You made the decision to follow, to help, and you engaged when you should not have. Whether or not these were the best actions, they were your actions, and you have to believe that they were right." Rhuryc was no stranger to regretful death. He had been through this once himself, long ago, and already he had a process to forgive himself. To move on.

"What happened can not be changed, not by you nor by me. Do you understand, Ora? Forgive yourself."
Rhuryc
Honorific

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Ora Sa'vina on August 24th, 2010, 2:53 am

To accept it was something Ora was unsure of, how would she go about it? A frown remained on her face as she mulled over the thought. The young woman had already accepted that those men were dead, but that was not the problem. Rhuryc continued to speak and Ora found his words hard to digest. True, he had chosen his path when the Akalak killed the brother, but could she have avoided a worse situation? If she had stayed back and away from the fighting would the Akalak still be alive? Would Rhuryc be in better condition?

All the ifs, ands or buts was what seemed to be the problem. "Whether or not these were the best actions, they were your actions, and you have to believe that they were right." Ora leaned back against a wall, an unusual position for the proper woman, her shoulders slouched forwards, her fingers twisting at her dress as her mind wandered and fought with itself.

"Did I do the right thing?" Ora asked herself, her eyes closed as she returned to that night. Whether it was the right thing or not did not matter, it had happened and Rhuryc was right: there was no way for her to go back and change it. It pained her to have to accept this, that she would not be able to go back and save that man, but it was the truth and there was nothing she could do about it.

Her eyes opened slowly to look at her hands; twisting and tugging on her dress. "I understand," She looked up at Rhuryc, watching him a moment before speaking again. "I know I cannot go and change what happened, I am accepting that," Her eyes moved back to her hands before she spoke again. "But I am afraid of..." She had to think of how to phrase this, to say it one way would make it seem like she still thought herself to blame. "It happening again, and not being able to do anything about it." She stood up straight again, brushing herself off. "I do not like feeling helpless when those around me are hurting." Her eyes rested on Rhuryc's face as she spoke. Whether or not she had fully forgiven herself remained fairly obvious, she accepted that should could not change what had happened, and that he was dead, but she still felt like her actions were wrong and the cause of the Akalak's death.

Ora turned towards the door, there was little Rhuryc would be able to do at this moment to make her feel better, at least that was the young woman's impression, but she had found his words comforting. "You really should try to keep weight off your leg," She said quietly, building her shell back up, she didn't want to feel vulnerable. "When will you be done? I will bring you something to eat."
Ora Sa'vina
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Rhuryc on August 24th, 2010, 6:53 am

Rhuryc sighed. Not in such a theatrical manner to draw attention to himself, but in resignation; a sign of defeat. Damn it. He felt his emotions get the better of his sympathies, picking apart the cold, hard observations and focusing on the woman in question. Rhuryc was accustom to death. Used to it. His hand had drawn more blood than Ora had no doubt seen, let alone could tolerate. He remembered how his first kill had drawn him to nightmares, lightless eyes that he could still see. Somehow. The table groaned beneath his girth as he pushed forward, boots touching the floor again in scuffle of movement. He hobbled from the tool cabinet back past the anvil and stepped up next to Ora. A hand nabbed the coat that hood next to the door and he threw it over his shoulders, donning his usual appeal in the means of attire. He ready did need some new clothing.

"I could use some air." He said as he opened the door and allowed Ora the right-of-way. How gentleman like. For the moment between his words and movements he allowed himself a brief glance at his companion's form, an usual event, and he took in the various differences that he had become accustom to in the pair's short time together. Ora was hagged. Still far beyond the poise and proper behavior of the common peasant, but compared to her usual self there was regret in the way she stood. The slouch of her shoulders and they way she idly played with the loose material of her dress, all of it was peculiar in manner, design, something that took Rhuryc harder than her words. Actions made for a far more revealing picture. He did not need magic to know what he had to do.

The busy chorus of the ironworks buffeted his ears as he stepped through the door, assuming Ora took the cue and accepted it. The clangs of the other forges, the cries for orders, the shifting crates and weapons sung in practice, all of it made for a magnificent foray onto the senses. The sun, fortunately, was high that day, making for a warm afternoon and light hearts. Rhuryc's posture changed. Now out of the dark, dreary smithy, he seemed somehow less pale, stronger, and although his leg gave obvious protest it was clear that the man cared nothing for the pain. He would lose the joint before he gave in to weakness.

"How about something to eat now? Say, the White Swan. I bet you haven't been there yet. My treat." Rhuryc offered Ora a slight grin as he started his way through the Ironworks on a direct route toward the castle. There was something different about his manner.
Rhuryc
Honorific

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Ora Sa'vina on August 25th, 2010, 1:10 am

Ora didn't look up once she heard the table creak with his movements, the sound of his boots scuffling across the floor were watched through strands of white as Rhuryc approached the door next to the woman. The Konti looked up at this point, watching him take hold of his coat, throwing it on casually, almost carelessly. He spoke to her with a calm and collected voice while his arm opened the heavy door before them. His arm remained against the door, holding it open for the young woman to pass through, which the woman took with a small nod, her eyes returning to the stones beneath them, avoiding his gaze.

Her young mind was buzzing like static, thoughts were floating about but she was having trouble grabbing hold of them to examine and take them in. It was hard for the Konti to believe that what had happened really did happen. Her training was all for 'Fun' she never did any of it with the intent of seriously hurting someone, let alone aiding in their death.

Ora walked though the ironworks, her eyes watching the ground as she walked through the clanging and voices, glancing up occasionally to avoid running into someone or something. The sound of the Iron Works seemed dulled in her mind; the static of her own thoughts taking precedence over any external noise. Ora was, simply put, a mess, and she had no idea how to handle herself.

The sun seemed to snap Ora out of it, at least partially, her eyes looked up from the ground, squinting slightly as she adjusted to the change. It was a pleasantly warm day out, a day that would be perfect for a walk, resting and relaxing in the bazaar or by Kova's well. None of those things seemed like they would be as relaxing today as they would have been a few days previous. Violet eyes moved to look at Rhuryc, Ora found herself relieved to see him, his face seemed to brighten up in the sun. His limp was still there, but the inevitable streaks of pain seemed to not bother him or stop him from enjoying the weather.

Ora was not particularly hungry until he mentioned it, she was slightly, it was nearing lunch and her breakfast had been a rather pathetic excuse for a meal. The young woman nodded to Rhuryc, she would not say no, he was willing to listen to her and help her, both of which Ora appreciated. "I have never been there, I have not really explored very much of Syliras." She answered truthfully, following Rhuryc with her eyes bouncing between the cobblestones before her and the man next to her. She kept her pace slow, not wishing to exert the man's leg more than need be.

Ora had noted the sudden change in his manner, he seemed less serious and harsh, not to say that what he had been saying was bad, but it was just hard for the young Konti to digest. He seemed to be catering towards her emotions now, his actions and speech seemed softer and in many ways, comforting.
Ora Sa'vina
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Rhuryc on August 25th, 2010, 3:54 pm

"Not a place I go often." Rhuryc admitted. In fact, he might have only been there once or twice in his whole life. Too upscale for his tastes. "But I think it's worth a visit."

Despite his limp the man moved with ease through the streets, especially in the ironworks. He knew the area like that back of his hand. In and out of corridors, he weaved around like a spider upon its web, circumnavigating the crowds and traffic to not only make it easier on himself but his companion as well. Avoiding the masses would be good for her state of mind, he imagined. It did not take long for the two of them to reach Stormhold. Instead of walking into the tiers though, Rhuryc turned about and made his way to a large establishment off to the side; an inn of sorts, a combination restaurant and suite, expensive just from looks alone. The door was opened for them and the duo were admitted into an open, polite atmosphere, decorated with fanciful tables and matching chairs, all of which were occupied by the various well-to-dos in Syliras.

Rhuryc nudged Ora with an encouraging elbow. He flashed the woman a smile and limped his way into the circular-style restaurant, moving past the fine linens before he set himself down on a couch that spanned the parameter of the inner lobby. Various other individuals were seated in a similar fashion while they waited for a able. Rhuryc gave the cushioned area next to him a gentle pat to give Ora a cue then he resolved himself to waiting, his back pushing up against the edge of the comfortable waiting place. It was fortunate he 'cleaned' up before they left for the man now looked half-presentable, his hair having dried in a fashion that was semi respectable. He looked incredibly less haggard now that he was no longer cooped up in a small, hot room. For now Rhuryc amused himself by listening to the quite, peaceful music in the background, the melodies provided by the various violinists that frequented the lodging.

"Might take some time, but it's worth the wait. Best food in the whole city." He smiled again.
Rhuryc
Honorific

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Next